Menu

What temperature do you set your thermostat to during the winter?

Terabith

And see?  We're now at the stage in our lives where if we're going to spend hundreds per month, I also want palm trees and beaches to walk - and preferably 75 or so - no heating oil or gas cost needed.  Hence, joining those (very intelligent) migrating birds and snowbirding (next year and beyond).   :coolgleamA:

I would love to do that- dd and our four grands live in South Florida on the beach...what a life!  Enjoy your snowbird status!

• Like 1

Yeah, our 70 is at the location of the thermostat, and it is definitely SIGNIFICANTLY colder than that, especially in the children's bedrooms.  But I'm guessing it's still probably 63-65 in there.  For that reason, I'm reluctant to turn it down further, but I still think I'm not nuts for setting it at 70.

73-74

Woe to those who mess with it. I say that as I am already in layers and wearing socks and wrapped in a blanket. My guys are in their briefs.

Sometimes DH will turn it down at night so he can sleep, figuring I’m already asleep. Within 1/2 hour I am awake and shivering. Grrrrr.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

I agree that it's miserable to be cold all day, but IME and IMO it's even worse to be hot. One can put on more clothes or cover up with a blanket to get warmer. If you're miserably hot there's little to nothing you can do (well, maybe during the winter you can go stand outside. BTDT many times).

And FWIW -- I'm by FAR the smallest, skinniest person in this house. DH outweighs me by almost 100 pounds, and our smallest (now adult) son outweighs me by 40 pounds. And I also run the hottest by far. I used to run the coldest by far. That's what peri-menopause will do for you, ;) And I"m telling you -- being hot is much worse than being cold.

All that to say -- don't totally discount your own comfort for the sake of theirs.

Well obviously I don't, since we keep it at 72, not 77.

I've found that while my house might feel comfortable enough (so I need to wear a long-sleeved flannel shirt over whatever else I'm wearing, socks, slippers, but not have to stay under a blanket all the time) at a certain temp (say, 67 F), another person's house might feel HOT (like shorts, short-sleeves, no socks, fanning myself) at that same temperature. It is very strange, but I've noticed it repeatedly.

We keep it comfy (at conditions listed above) during the day - with the option to turn it up if we all feel like we need to be under blankets.

We have it set to turn cold (where you WANT to be under covers) at night (10 p.m.-5 a.m.). I cannot sleep when I'm cold, so I am under double blankets and sometimes pull my fleece robe over my torso & the blankets when I'm still shivering. The boys & DH usually sleep with their feet out in these conditions. The only girl who has a room on the main floor has a space heater in her room so she doesn't get frostbite. (Her room is also at the end of the heating line so it is always hotter in the summer & colder in the winter than everywhere else.) The other girls have rooms in the basement and it is always cooler in the summer down there & warmer in the winter. They get by with their usual blankets & covers, usually.

For us, those setpoints are 67 during the day and 60 at night.

DD just asked if she could turn the heater to a warmer setting--I asked her to check the temperature in the house and it was 71.  Then I noticed she was wearing a sleeveless dress and was barefoot...

Now I feel bad--we realized why she was so cold--she is running a fever :(

• Like 1

I see it's time for the annual competitive "I keep my house colder than you" thread :lol: I know people who also have the competitive 'how long did you wait to turn the furnace on' thing...

I always lose. 22-23C in the day. 20C at night.

Plus area heaters in our study area and a heating pad in the bed.

And I never turn my furnace off. If it dips below those temps in the summer, the furnace turns on. I love my creature comforts.

Lol. Due to unseasonably warm weather (thanks Obama. I mean thanks non-existent climate change) I was able to meet my goal of no heat until trick or treat. Actually, I didn't have to turn on the heat until November 1st. That was a first.

I've upped ours this year. 67-68 at night upstairs. Up to 69 until bedtime.

Downstairs 68-69 during the day. Now that youngest is in public school and has to get up early, I keep it warmer until he leaves.

Eta: we got rid of our carpet downstairs this summer, so it is definitely cooler.

Edited by MooCow