Menu

Do you know your blood type?

Tap

Do you know your blood type?   

198 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know your blood type?

• I think I know but would want them to test me before a transfustion.
    • I absolutely know and they wouldn't need to test me first.
    • I have no idea what my blood type is.
    • Other.....aliens, robots, androids, vampires, zombies, the undead, and AI... click here.

My mom keeps telling me what my blood type is and that I need to remember what it is in case of emergency. She is also a believer of the blood type diet (and treatments), so I think reading about those keep it in more of a forefront of her mind.  How about you, do you know your blood type with enough confidence that you would let them do a transfusion on you without checking first?

For one thing, I wouldn't trust a medical treatment on my mom's memory of my blood type (I am one of 5 kids) and I haven't lived at home and had her at a medical appointment in over 25 years.  It isn't like she heard it recently. I don't think I have ever heard my kids blood types and all 3 have had surgery.  If you know your kids blood type, how do you know? DId you ask or were you randomly told? or find it on paperwork?

For two, I don't think a hospital would trust me saying "Im type O positive" and just blindly treat me accordingly. So, really why bother telling them in the first place? Maybe to catch an error?  If they start to give you the wrong type and you can stop them and say," test again". 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

I have seen my blood type on many medical records so I know it is O negative. I would still expect them to check it before giving me blood.

I also did a blood test experiment in middle school so I know the medical records are accurate.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 2

I know mine because I tried to donate blood once. I nearly passed out so I haven't tried since. Dh is the same so if I understand correctly all our dc (except the adopted ones) should be A positive like us. Now that I think of it, though, maybe they could be A negative. Does anyone know how that works?

Edited by Rose M
  • Like 1

For two, I don't think a hospital would trust me saying "Im type O positive" and just blindly treat me accordingly. So, really why bother telling them in the first place? Maybe to catch an error?  If they start to give you the wrong type and you can stop them and say," test again". 

They will never give you a transfusion without typing and cross-matching so you don't really need to know your blood type. If there isn't time to type and cross then they will give you O negative no matter what your blood type.

• Like 15

It is A positive. I know because I did have surgery (broken ankle) and they tested at the time. No one asked me. They tested because it was the standard procedure. Since my husband is also A positive (he donated blood and was told then) I would think my kids are also likely to be A positive, but I would not assume and expect that it would be checked if it were ever necessary.

My home country tested all their citizens blood type and had that information printed on the national identity card until 2002. So my husband and I knew our blood type. Both our kids blood type was tested at birth due to cord blood banking. So we knew theirs too.

Now blood type testing is fast enough that this information is no longer as critical. I was born in the 70s. Knowing whether my Rhesus factor is positive or negative is useful for my obgyn even though they would test to confirm. In the old days knowing what blood group I am would mean that if I need a blood transfusion urgently they can give me my blood group instead of depleting the O group supply while waiting for the blood type results to come in.

I thought they told us ds' blood type as a baby? I don't know, it's a bit foggy now. I'm 99% sure I'm B positive. My dad has that book. I think I was pretty disappointed in the list of foods that were okay for me ha.

What is the point in telling them? Well maybe they have a shortage of one vs another. Maybe they have two options for some people... universal donor O negative and whatever your actual type is? I think it would make sense for them to check again unless it was already on file.

I was aware of all our blood types when we lived in China, because Hobbes' type is rare there. I carried a list of individuals who had offered to donate if necessary. I've been glad not to think about that since.

I can't give blood due to SVT.

Edited by Laura Corin

I do. I found out the first time I was pregnant because my rh factor is negative. Im O -. Funny story. My first 2 kids were O + so before I left the hospital I had to have a rhogam shot. I got home fron the hospital with dd and I was in the shower and it suddenly occured to me they did not give me the rhogam shot. I called the hospital in a panic and it turs out she was also O - , so thats was why. lol

• Like 1

I think I know, but only because in 10th grade biology class in the mid-80s we tested our blood types at school (could you imagine this happening now?) when we were learning about Punnett Squares.  We had to ask our parents their blood types, hypothesize what ours would be, and then someone in class pricked your finger and did the test for you (again, could you imagine this going on today??)

I remember that my Dad is O+, my mother is AB-.  I remember that I am definitely positive (because when my mother was pregnant with my sister she had to have that thing they do if the mother is negative and the first child born is positive), and I'm pretty sure it was A+ but it could have been B+.  I"ve never had major surgery and my children are adopted so I've never given birth, so really I've never had my blood type discussed with me by a doctor.

I know mine; I've had lots of surgery and we did the blood typing in Biology class in high school. I am certain of mine. I know oldest's as she did the blood typing in a co-op class one time. Hers is the same as mine, so 100% certain on hers too.

I don't know the other two or DH's. I knew my father's because he was O+ and the blood bank called him when they got low. 

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by beckyjo

I know mine but I didn't answer the poll. Hospitals will never transfuse without type and crossing first. It's too big a risk. If there isn't time they will give O neg blood which is the universal donor. 

I run into this all the time with patients. Parents often want to know their newborn's blood type. We only check if there is a potential problem (if Mom is O or if Mom is negative). Otherwise it isn't checked. I tell them I can order the test, but it will likely not be covered by insurance since there isn't a medical reason for it.

The story I tell to show them why hospitals will never believe people on their blood type and will always type before transfusing is this....I am A neg. When I was pregnant my husband told me he was also A neg. If that was true I wouldn't have needed Rhogam, but obviously I still got it since I didn't have a written report of his blood type. When our oldest was born they came in and said he had A positive blood so I needed another Rhogam shot. That wouldn't be possible with two negative parents. I told dh I was pretty sure the baby was his. When dh's showed up at the hospital later, I asked her what blood type dh was and she immediately said A positive (she's a doctor also and sort of the keeper of the medical info in their family). So, dh had thought he was the wrong blood type pretty much his whole life. It's not hard to be wrong and it would be a deadly mistake to make...therefore hospitals will never just believe your blood type. There isn't really any medical reason to know what it is other than just kind of fun curiosity. 

• Like 5

I definitely know my blood type and carry an official card with it marked in my wallet.  I think I got that during pregnancy with my first kid, as part of the hospital establishing my file there.  The policy for transfusion here is actually a DOUBLE verification- either 2 blood draws evaluated separately, or the wallet card plus an additional blood draw at the time of the incident.  I do hope they would forgo the second verification for a card-carrier in a true every-second-counts type emergency!

I know mine because I tried to donate blood once. I nearly passed out so I haven't tried since. Dh is the same so if I understand correctly all our dc (except the adopted ones) should be A positive like us. Now that I think of it, though, maybe they could be A negative. Does anyone know how that works?

I don't remember how the +/- works; it's been a while. However, your children do have the possibility of being A or O. A is dominant (so if one gene is A, you get A). O is recessive, so you need both genes to be O. If both you and your husband are AO genotype, there is 25% chance of a child being O. 75% chance of being type A. If one of you is AA, all of your children will be A. 

I am A positive as well, but my father was O, so I show as A+, but am AO as the genotype. IIRC, O's gene are written as i when written out, so I guess I am Ai.

• Like 1

Yes, I know all of our blood types.  Mine is A-.  After dd7 was born I asked for the Rhogam shot (which is no longer a shot, but given through an IV).  The nurse looked at me strangely and was surprised that they had already typed dd7's blood.  (It had only been about an hour, iirc.)  Sigh.  I told her they hadn't typed her blood yet, but I knew what it was going to be.

The next day a different nurse came in and told me that she had Rhogam for me and started to explain what is was for.  I told her that I knew what it was for and that the baby's blood was A+.  She looked at her chart and was startled to see that I was correct.  I then told her that dd7 was my sixth child and that ALL of my children have A+ blood.  After five children with the exact same blood type, I figured that it was statistically improbable (and probably impossible) that dd7 would be different.

• Like 1

I am B+. I learned my blood type when I gave blood for the first time. My father was B+, and was incorrectly identified as O+ while in the army during the Korean conflict. My mother is O+. Dh is O +, dd is B+, ds is O+. Both dc were typed at the hospital at birth.

If you've ever donated blood, you tend to remember your blood type. It's a pretty memorable experience.  And if you have rh negative, and a pregnant woman, you'd know your blood type as this can be very important for your health and that of the baby. 

I'm B+ and my dh is AB-.  He donates blood often. I don't as my iron levels aren't great and I need all my blood.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

No idea. I refused to let my science teacher prick my finger for the blood type lesson.

My mother insists I am B+. She says she and my sister are A+. My father was the universal receiver AB+ so I suppose it is possible for me to be B.

When I finally got over my fear of needles I found out I couldn't donate blood because of the semester I spent in London. Potential mad cow for everyone.

Edited by kewb

I'm A positive, nice and easy to remember, 'cause I'm an A+ type of gal. :thumbup:

Someone else in my family is the same, but now I forget if it's my DH or my eldest. I only know this stuff because I'm in my childbearing years and the midwives always look into it.

I'm not in the least worried about knowing everyone's blood types. There are so many little numbers and signs to remember, and the consequences to getting it wrong are so deadly, that of course hospitals will always check.

• Like 1

I know mine from pregnancy.  I'm A-, both girls are A+ (so I know I can donate to them if necessary), ds is O+ and so is dh.   I've donated blood in the past and I usually get calls and mailings for a long time after since I'm a semi-rare type.  I'm prone to anemia and low blood pressure so I can't donate often.

I learned my blood type during an immunology lab class in college.  (BTW, as a fun homeschool experience, you can test your blood yourself with this kit.)

When I got a transfusion back in the dark ages, the bag of blood had this tube extending from it that was crimped every inch or so making little packets of blood.  I asked the nurse what it was for and she said it was to make sure the blood in the bag matched the blood in the patient.  I can't imagine that a hospital would rely on a person's memory of family lore to determine blood type.

Edited by EKS

If both parents are A+ the children could be A+, A-, O+, or O-

The reason is that you don't know your genotype--you may or may not be carrying an O allele and/or an Rh- allele, and same for your husband.

I know mine, 99%. The thing that gives me pause is that on my first pregnancy one of the nurses told me my daughter had the same blood type as me, A-. I replied that I was O-. She got insistent I was A- and that I was mistaken, and pointed to my medical chart. It was 3 or 4 hours since birth and I hadn't eaten and just wanted sleep, so I just agreed. (it came up because of the need for the rhogam (sp?) shot thing). But, since then my doctor has urged me to donate blood since I'm O-. So I know I'm O-, but I still remember that nurse 8 years later and tell medical people idk if they ask.

I have seen my blood type on many medical records so I know it is O negative. I would still expect them to check it before giving me blood.

I also did a blood test experiment in middle school so I know the medical records are accurate.

When I did blood typing in high school biology I thought I was A+. Nope, O+.

I wouldn't rely on a school lab to confirm anything!

• Like 1

Nope. Donated blood 20 years ago and do not remember the blood type; they gave me a card, and I have lost it.

Since I lived in Europe, I am deemed unfit to donate blood in the US.

Me too. Even my older daughter is deemed unfit because she technically lived for 3 months in the U.K. within the mad cow disease epidemic time frame, even though they were the first 3 months of her life. She didn't eat any beef products for sure, although she was breast fed. I guess they are not taking any chances!

I know my blood type.

that said.  hospitals don't give a rip if you know your blood type - they will *always* type before a transfusion.  all it would take is one person claiming to know their type and being wrong, but the hospital believing them,  for a medical crises due to mismatch - not to mention the subsequent lawsuit.

besides - it's a quick test that only takes a few drops.

• Like 4