Menu

Ds16 just had to perform the Heimlich on me over and over

Jean in Newcastle

I don't know if my English muffin went down the wrong pipe, or if I was having another one of my frequent esophageal spasms.  It all happened so fast.  All I know is that this time I was choking and I couldn't even breathe.  (I say that because up until now with a spasm I've been able to breathe through my nose just fine.)  I started to bang the floor to get the kids' attention because I couldn't speak.  Dd called for ds who started the Heimlich maneuver.  He had to do it at least 4 or 5 times before I was able to finally breathe.  (His technique was a bit off - we're going to go over that a bit later!)  Anyway, I was then gasping and coughing and burping (sorry) for a long time afterward.  And my whole body was shaking from adrenaline.  Ds called dh to let him know what  happened but I refused his offer to come home.  I did call my doctor and talked to the nurse.  She is going to talk to the doctor but she thinks that rest at home and some herbal tea is the best antidote at this moment.  It is still a bit hard to talk - my voice is really raspy.  

Glad to hear you're okay now. I hope you get a quick handle on the problem. I frequently have food go 'down the wrong way', so often that the family ignores it when I start coughing, but I've never not been able to breath. I can't imagine. So scary. I'm glad you son had a quick presence of mind to help you.  

:grouphug:

I don't know if my English muffin went down the wrong pipe, or if I was having another one of my frequent esophageal spasms.  It all happened so fast.  All I know is that this time I was choking and I couldn't even breathe.  (I say that because up until now with a spasm I've been able to breathe through my nose just fine.)  I started to bang the floor to get the kids' attention because I couldn't speak.  Dd called for ds who started the Heimlich maneuver.  He had to do it at least 4 or 5 times before I was able to finally breathe.  (His technique was a bit off - we're going to go over that a bit later!)  Anyway, I was then gasping and coughing and burping (sorry) for a long time afterward.  And my whole body was shaking from adrenaline.  Ds called dh to let him know what  happened but I refused his offer to come home.  I did call my doctor and talked to the nurse.  She is going to talk to the doctor but she thinks that rest at home and some herbal tea is the best antidote at this moment.  It is still a bit hard to talk - my voice is really raspy.  

That's so scary!  I've had a few choking episodes myself.  Terrifying.  I'm glad you are ok.

omg that is scary.  Thank goodness your ds16 knew what to do even if his technique was a bit off.  That is the main reason I had my teens take a first aid/cpr/aed course, I wanted them to be able to do the right thing and not panic, especially if I was the one needing help.

Did it feel like the spasm you have had in the past? My dad had esophageal spasms for years when he ate- it was awful for him. Eventually he had some kind of surgery that fixed it. He never had trouble breathing, but they were very scary to him because he worried with each one that THIS was the time he was not going to be able to breathe.   So glad your ds was able to help you!!! You've earned a rest day.g

Thanks everyone.  I've had my tea.  I just might be drinking my meals today.  My voice is still much lower than normal and my throat hurts.  The kids are doing school because they want to and it makes things safe and normal.  I am doing my usual because I'm not so good at doing anything but the usual.  I'm not pushing myself or anything.  

Thank God your DS knew how to do that maneuver and you are OK. Many years ago, one of my friends was saved, because her husband did that maneuver on her. I've forgotten how to do it...   Possibly take your DS to the Juan Luis Guerra/440 concert in London (I think it is next Monday?), or to DisneyWorld or somewhere, as a reward for saving your life.  WOW.  Kudos to your DS. He was cool calm and collected, which is what is required when there is a life threatening emergency.

Oh Jean :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  That has happened to me, and while it cleared before my DH could get to me (with lettuce of all things--it closed my airway off like a flap when I took a breath to cough!), it was definitely the most terrifying moment of my life. And it used to happen regularly to my dad, until my DH had to give him the Heimlich in a restaurant once :(

About the esophageal spasms, have you investigated the possibility that you have silent reflux? It took me years to realize that the reason food was constantly getting stuck in my throat--sometimes a little stuck, sometimes a lot stuck, though I could always breathe through my nose, as you said--was because reflux was irritating my esophagus and causing it to swell. I would have spasms (and those horrible hiccups), but they would happen as a result of the food getting bogged down in an already-narrowed tube. When I gave up gluten and caffeine (my two main triggers, though jalapeños and citrus also cause reflux for me as well), the reflux stopped and so did the swallowing problems. My dad SWEARS he does not have any kind of reflux, but he started taking an antacid every day, and his swallowing problems have also reduced greatly over the last year or so. 

Be so gentle to yourself over the next few days. I remember having a sore throat/pulled throat muscles the next day too, but it went away quickly. And give your kids big, BIG hugs.

:grouphug: