Menu

Some positive thoughts please

Twin one was accidently dispensed the wrong dosage of medication from the pharmicist. He was dispensed adult tablets with instructions to take 3 times a day. So triple adult dose. 

He has been taking it for 2 weeks 

Today  he broke out in a full body  rash. We are now at the second hospital having urgent liver function tests. 

Please send him some positive thoughts 

• Like 2
  • Sad 68

That's terrible!  I hope he's okay after all that. 😞

DS was once dispensed 10 times the dosage amount and we were told the 100ml bottle-full was what he should take for his one dose.  It was odd enough that it caught my attention and he didn't take it until we confirmed.  If it was in pill form I wouldn't have even questioned the strength because it's not a visible amount difference.  Liquid I can see, pills are all the same size.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We are are going to be flown to Melbourne with a full medical team 

The rash is apparently the most urgent thing. 

I am now scared for him. Hard to not cry

Are they letting you on the plane or chopper?  I hope you can be with him.

I hope they get things under control quickly.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We are are going to be flown to Melbourne with a full medical team 

The rash is apparently the most urgent thing. 

I am now scared for him. Hard to not cry

sending hugs.  I'm so sorry and hope he gets good care and this resolves quickly. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Twin one was accidently dispensed the wrong dosage of medication from the pharmicist. He was dispensed adult tablets with instructions to take 3 times a day. So triple adult dose. 

He has been taking it for 2 weeks 

Today  he broke out in a full body  rash. We are now at the second hospital having urgent liver function tests. 

Please send him some positive thoughts 

I'm so sorry.  Prayers for a full recovery and no permanent damage.

Pharmacy software is such a big deal (the software! as a last resort should have flagged that it was 3x the adult dose, even had it been for an adult patient.), and the pharmacist is supposed to be supervising the techs, and should have caught it.  I hope the hospital where the error occurred takes it very seriously.

after what happened with dsil last winter (2dd is a hospital pharmacist and caught a similar error that led to another pharmacist being asked to resign and the tech being retrained. the child was recovering, but will still need to be followed.), I've become more aware of how critical good pharmacy software is. but it's spendy and hospital systems would usually rather spend money on things that are showy and will impress potential patients.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Adding for hope that as long as there is still good liver there, the liver is pretty good at healing itself. Very different from heart or kidneys. But still, very scary and of course sometimes the damage is too great. But it sounds like you are in the right place now for them to aggressively deal with this, and stabilize him. 

Hugs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1