Menu

Dad Update (new update in first post on 12/13) (and 12/30)

DawnM

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I need to find something for him to wear in his casket.   I just realized he brought no dressy clothing with him.

And there is a lot of financial stuff to sift through and get death certificates to, etc....

I am heading over to the funeral home today at noon to take clothing, signs papers, talk to the funeral home, etc.....

I had a wonderful gift yesterday.    A woman who I have only talked to online (she took in her mom the same time I took in my dad so we connected), contacted me two days ago and said she was heading over next to the hospice house and asked if she could stop in and see my father.   I said sure.

I forgot all about it as the events of the day unfolded, but she texted me at 1pm saying, "I am here!"   I told her I was so sorry I hadn't let her know that dad had passed away.   She said she found that out and then asked if she could bring me his belongings so I didn't have to drive over there later!

The hospice house is 30 min. each way.   With all that was going on yesterday it was truly a blessing for her to do that.

• Like 41

Thinking of you @DawnM. It helped me to initially think only of funeral arrangements - including the necessary  death certificate.

I mentally parked everything else - dealing with financial issues, the will etc. until later. The only crossover task was clearing Mum's room at the care home - Husband did that and most things went into the garage. I'll be working on an inventory and talking to my brothers about it next week as part of the process of proving the will.

• Like 7

Good news, I found his suitcase in the attic and it had his suit in there.   It is badly wrinkled, but it is in there.

Along with about 20 pr. of underwear and 20 undershirts.......argh!   I bought him that many of each because he kept complaining he didn't have enough and said he had already gone through his suitcases......I should have checked.

Oh well, not a huge deal, just cracked me up.

• Like 20
  • Haha 9

• DawnM changed the title to Dad Update (new update in first post on 12/13) (and 12/30)

Loved seeing a picture of him.

i had to laugh at the underwear thing as when my grandfather passed away we found package after package of new underwear…..we laughed and said he must of joined the “blueky of the month club”

also, if you haven’t been there yet, order several more death certificates than you think you will need.  They are much cheaper to order extras now than to have to pay for one more later.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

Now I need to find something for him to wear in his casket.   I just realized he brought no dressy clothing with him.

And there is a lot of financial stuff to sift through and get death certificates to, etc....

I am heading over to the funeral home today at noon to take clothing, signs papers, talk to the funeral home, etc.....

I had a wonderful gift yesterday.    A woman who I have only talked to online (she took in her mom the same time I took in my dad so we connected), contacted me two days ago and said she was heading over next to the hospice house and asked if she could stop in and see my father.   I said sure.

I forgot all about it as the events of the day unfolded, but she texted me at 1pm saying, "I am here!"   I told her I was so sorry I hadn't let her know that dad had passed away.   She said she found that out and then asked if she could bring me his belongings so I didn't have to drive over there later!

The hospice house is 30 min. each way.   With all that was going on yesterday it was truly a blessing for her to do that.

What a blessing.

After my mom died, I found out that one of her cousins sat with her on one of her last days, talked to her, and brushed her hair (Mom was unconscious). It was a day when no one else was able to visit her, and I was so grateful.

These things mean a lot.

• Like 9

Thank you for sharing a picture of your dad.  He was so handsome.  I am glad you had the kindness of the woman that you met online.  It is so touching to receive blessings during hard times.   I think it was a sign from your dad to hide the underwear there and make you crack up.   Sending some gentle hugs your way today Dawn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dawn, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I know this has been a long road and I know you are heartbroken.  You did all the right things for him and he knew you loved him.

Prayers for what you will be going through the next few days preparing for a burial (or whatever your plans are), and getting through the estate stuff. I agree with @Laura Corin, get through the burial and then move onto to the estate. You have time for that.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for your loss, and grateful your dad's suffering is done.  Continuing to pray for you and your family as you walk through the days ahead.  You have taken such good care of him through very difficult changes; I pray you will have peace as you grieve your loss and remember his life.  💙

• Like 1