Menu

Dad Update (new update in first post on 12/13) (and 12/30)

DawnM

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm so sorry, Dawn.

I saw this ProPublica article yesterday. You might find it helpful. How to research your hospice (and avoid hospice fraud)

Thanks.   It looks like the residential is for crisis management, that may be why they said they didn't think he would qualify.   We will see what they advise.

• Like 1

Just now, DawnM said:

Dad came from a family of 5 boys.   He was smack in the middle.   3 of them have passed away.   He still has a 93 year old brother!  I spoke to him yesterday.   He is the 2nd oldest.   My dad is 87.

Wow that is cool Dawn.  

18k more to add hospice is absolutely ridiculous.  Hopefully there is another way.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Wow that is cool Dawn.  

18k more to add hospice is absolutely ridiculous.  Hopefully there is another way.  

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I would take him home and hire 24/7 sitters along with hospice.  It would be much less expensive.  

I spoke to my friend's husband who is a nursing home director.   He said they suggest that so he doesn't get up, but we are fine to just say no.

Honestly, at this point, I am wondering if he will even leave the hospital.

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I spoke to my friend's husband who is a nursing home director.   He said they suggest that so he doesn't get up, but we are fine to just say no.

Wait, I don’t understand,  They suggest what so he doesn’t get up? 

Is there not a hospice wing at the hospital?  That is where my best friends father died this past summer.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DawnM said:

If he is in bed with safety rails up, he probably will not be getting out of bed on his own. He will need to be in adult diapers though.

My dad has safety rails on his bed at home. If we didn’t he would be getting up all the time on his own and fall (probably every time and he won’t wait 2 seconds for someone to get in his room to help him). He cannot get out without help. He refuses to wear diapers so they use a urinal with him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

I would definitely ask for hospice care, they are really good with dealing with these types of situations. It's okay to go ahead and not have him take medications for blood pressure. 

Right, seems no longer necessary to agitate him by forcing this med. At this point it’s about comfort and reducing anxiety. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Wait, I don’t understand,  They suggest what so he doesn’t get up? 

They are suggesting we hire a babysitter 24/7

Is there not a hospice wing at the hospital?  That is where my best friends father died this past summer.  

There are places but they are telling me they don't think he qualifies.

Palliative care assessed him today.   They said hospice will assess tomorrow and that he is not leaving the hospital any time soon and they will have a plan for him before he leaves.    IF he leaves.   We will see what happens.   We have his DNR situated now and his POA.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all.   Yes, it is really hard and it is hard not really knowing how much time he has left, where he will be between now and death, and what we need to do.

I am guessing we have days or weeks and not months at this point.

May the Lord take him home soon.

• Like 11
  • Sad 16

I’m so sorry you’re facing this. 

Fwiw, when my father was in the hospital the last time, after assessing his condition and talking with us, they put him on hospice protocols there. It wasn’t a separate place in the hospital, just a different treatment plan. The intention was to send him home, where we would have dealt with a different hospice, but as it happened he didn’t last that long. He received very good care during his final days in the hospital; better, I think, than we could have done at home, even with help from hospice. So, that is one way hospice is organized in some hospitals: same room, different plan. 

Not leaving the hospital any time soon is probably a good thing at this point, since it means he’s well cared for.

Sending lots of hugs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Palliative care assessed him today.   They said hospice will assess tomorrow and that he is not leaving the hospital any time soon and they will have a plan for him before he leaves.    IF he leaves.   We will see what happens.   We have his DNR situated now and his POA.  

This sounds good, Dawn. It sounds like the care team is on point. 

36 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Thank you all.   Yes, it is really hard and it is hard not really knowing how much time he has left, where he will be between now and death, and what we need to do.

I am guessing we have days or weeks and not months at this point.

May the Lord take him home soon.

Praying for peace for you, your father and family, and for God’s mercy towards your dad. Even when we know the inevitable, it’s still hard when it’s on the doorstep. 

• Like 6

So sorry to hear that.  Hospice is likely your best option.  And it does sound more like days to weeks.   Would he be more comfortable without the IVs?  I know it might hasten things but at this point are the IVs making a big difference?   Same with some of his other meds.   

i would ask Hospice about the best comfort care.

• Like 4