Menu

Son has Covid- need help- 7/31 Update

Lisa R.

Can’t you go there and be with him?

Even if they admit him, he is awfully sick to have to advocate for himself, and he is probably very scared, too. And once he is out of the hospital (whether it’s today or days from now,) he will need someone to take care of him so he can recover as quickly as possible. 

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Lisa R. said:

opps!

He might have the long term Covid. My older kids had Covid. If my younger kids did, they did not have symptoms. My older kids only had a loss of sense of smell. I also had them on tons of vitamins...the kind I found on lists related to Covid. Maybe try those vitamins. 

Edited by Janeway

19 hours ago, Lisa R. said:

Please do not quote. My healthy 22-year-old son has Covid-19. He has no underlying health conditions. He is recovering in another town that is 5 hours away. He was not vaccinated. (Please do not use this thread to discuss vaccines. We encouraged him to get it, and he did not. I only mentioned the fact that he was not vaccinated because it can sometimes affect the course of the illness.)

Today is his 10th day of symptoms, which include:

Fever -around 101 for the first 7 days, may have low grade fever or no fever now

Body Aches-significant

Fatigue-he can get out of bed to use restroom but nothing else. He is in bed all day. Talking on the phone is difficult and only lasts about 5 minutes.

Stomach issues

No taste and smell

Coughing/congestion

*No breathing issues or chest pain

Sent him a pulse ox from Amazon--not hospital quality, obviously, and it reads between 94%-97%

Three days ago he was prescribed an antibiotic (Z-pack) and steroid after a phone call to our local doctor. The day following this was the day his fever broke. Yesterday he did not take either medicine because he says couldn't eat food due to low appetite and stomach not feeling well. He's a very bright kid, but I can see his cognitive abilities are slower likely due to lack of food. He is drinking plenty of Gatorade and water. All day he lays in bed in the dark as moving around is difficult due to fatigue. We just sent a friend a list of groceries--soup, applesauce, etc. because nothing sounds good. This makes sense with no taste and smell.

Does this sound like a normal course of Covid? This fatigue seems severe. Anything else we could be doing? 

My son was the fifth case in his West Coast city in early March 2020.   His covid symptoms and disease course sounds pretty much exactly like my son's.  My son did recover although he had residual fatigue and slight cognitive impairments for a month or two afterward.  I hope your son is as fortunate as mine was.  Will keep my fingers crossed for him.

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Can’t you go there and be with him?

Even if they admit him, he is awfully sick to have to advocate for himself, and he is probably very scared, too. And once he is out of the hospital (whether it’s today or days from now,) he will need someone to take care of him so he can recover as quickly as possible. 

she needs to check if they will allow someone in with him, if they are that full with covid patients they may have strict protocols in place, no visitors, etc. 

• Like 2

@Lisa R., before you drive him to your house, check to see how hospitals are in your area. If they're just as congested, I'd consider driving to the nearest big city that's not dealing with a surge.

Another thing to consider is buying an oxygen concentrator. They're about $350 on Amazon. Dh has a colleague in Mexico whose O2 levels were falling and couldn't find a hospital bed (back during the winter surge). He was lucky to be able to make due at home with one of these.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 2

He was discharged from ER after six hours. He spent much of this time lying on the tile floor in the waiting room. He was given a CT scan and bloodwork, and then sent back out to waiting room. He was discharged with an inhaler and not given test results. He's too sick to advocate for himself and didn't ask for results, either. 

Husband is on his way to retrieve him. We have access to good medical care. The system here is not as overwhelmed.  

• Like 13
  • Sad 32

20 minutes ago, Lisa R. said:

He was discharged from ER after six hours. He spent much of this time lying on the tile floor in the waiting room. He was given a CT scan and bloodwork, and then sent back out to waiting room. He was discharged with an inhaler and not given test results. He's too sick to advocate for himself and didn't ask for results, either. 

Husband is on his way to retrieve him. We have access to good medical care. The system here is not as overwhelmed.  

I am so sorry!!!  I am glad he will be with you and getting good medical care.  Lots of prayers coming your way...

20 minutes ago, Lisa R. said:

So glad you’re going to get him home and get some better care. That sounds miserable. In the car, fwiw, the current recommendation is that the patient be in the rear passenger seat, and then opposite windows be opened. So, that would be front passenger window and back driver side window. That makes kind of a wall of air passing between them. The best masks you have access to as well. Best wishes for your son’s quick recovery!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lisa R. said:

I'm praying for your boy and your family -- so sorry he is sick.

Lisa...I hope your son can rest on the ride home, the poor guy...and that your DH has a safe and uneventful journey!

hugs for you...I think it is tougher being the one waiting at home sometimes vs being the one doing “something” even if it is only driving.

i hope your son has a speedy recovery!

3 hours ago, SarahB82 said:

Google to see if the hospital system he used has an online portal. If it does, you should be able to register him and get the results of whatever tests they ran. I am glad you guys can get your hands on him. 

We always need a code, given by the doctor, in order to register a patient in the portal.   You may have to call the hospital and ask for one.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lisa R. said:

Did they make it back home?  So glad you were able to go get him.

They're probably super exhausted from a 10-hour drive and getting settled back at home (not to mention the stress and worry leading up to that!). I hope today is restful and Ds is able to improve with y'all overseeing his care. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 5