Menu

Are the colleges in your area going to be in person in the fall?

JenneinCA

In my area the community colleges went to online classes after Spring Break in 2020.  They were all online in Fall 2020 and in Spring 2021.  They are going to be almost all online in the Fall of 2021 too.  Our plan was to send my youngest there for part of high school and then after he graduated to start there because he doesn’t know what he wants to study and it is way way cheaper to figure that out while living at home.

But he doesn’t do online asynchronous classes well.  He needs to see people.  He needs the interaction with the teacher.  He needs the environment of students to provide the peer pressure to get the work done.  And online just doesn’t provide that. 

I am concerned that the whole reality of college has changed to be online and my kid is going to be at a major disadvantage because of it.  So are the community colleges in your area doing in person classes?  Are the four year colleges?  

According to this there is no definite plan for when in person classes will happen.  

https://missioncollege.edu/gen_info/Coronavirus/phases-to-reopening.html

• Sad 4

Our local CC is all online this fall except for a few very specific things like nursing clinicals and welding where they can't be. 

I think all of our 4 year colleges are going to be open and about half are requiring the vaccination for students.  But I have middle schoolers so I haven't paid a huge amount of attention. 

6 minutes ago, JenneinCA said:

According to this there is no definite plan for when in person classes will happen.  

https://missioncollege.edu/gen_info/Coronavirus/phases-to-reopening.html

You are near me. Astronomy would be in person for Fall 2021 for example 

https://reg-prod.ec.wvm.edu/StudentRegistrationSsb/ssb/classSearch/classSearch

“Search Results 293 Classes

Term: Fall 2021

Instructional Methods: In-Person Lab, In-Person Lecture”

I checked the class schedule and you are correct that there are some classes that are in person.  My student is a high school dual enrollment kid.  He can’t register until very very late.  I can’t imagine that there will be anything left at that point.  I am glad that there will be some classes but there are so few of them….

Our local community college is starting back with limited in person in the middle of summer quarter. Seems like an odd time to me. Fall will, unless things change, be mostly back to normal. I have no idea what masking or social distancing requirements will be, but vaccines will be optional. 

DD is transferring to a 4 year college in the fall, a little over an hour away. They are requiring vaccines for students and staff. Classes will be in person. Anyone who can't be vaccinated will be required to mask. I think most classes are going to be in person. DD is going to be living on campus. 

10 minutes ago, JenneinCA said:

He is a senior this year.

Misunderstood (can’t see sig. on phone). Has he taken the CHSPE? Think you can “jump queue” for class registration if he has taken CHSPE but check with the CCs to confirm. 

Edited by Arcadia

Our local CC is mostly online, but with some classes in person. The closest public universities I’m aware of are back to fully in person, vaccination required for all students, faculty and staff. I’m excited for my university student to get to have that in a safe environment. 

At the university where I work in Scotland,  lectures will be online only until Christmas at least. Tutorials and labs will be socially distanced in person.  Each teaching room has a CO2 monitor as a way of checking ventilation, as many of the rooms are in old buildings without air conditioning.  I'm expecting that all staff and students in shared spaces will be masked, but I  don't think that has been nailed down yet. 

There are a lot of international students, and 18yo from the UK were in the last cohort for vaccination,  so it's not possible to require vaccination. Some Scottish students are 17 when they start, so ineligible currently for the vaccine under UK rules.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

The college where I teach is planning to be in-person this fall.  Classrooms were supposed to be socially distanced--at least 6 feet apart but now have moved to only need 3 feet apart (except faculty are supposed to have a six-foot teaching zone if they desire.)  Vaccination is encouraged (but not required).

DD is going to school in Austria and the fall/winter schedule was just released with most classes being in-person.  At this point, vaccination is not required, but policies are evolving.  

DS's university hasn’t committed yet. His is similar to the uni where @LauraCorin works—a large international student body with a different vax timeline than the US. I expect he might have some classes in person but some might be online. He is fully vaxed but prefers to mask in public so I imagine he will continue to do so for the duration, at least in class. Their delta numbers and trajectory are different than over here, of course, and that will play a big part in how open the university will be. The country's vaccination numbers will be essentially total within a couple/few months, but I’m not sure they can require students to be vaxed for the same reasons Laura mentioned.

I am grateful in advance for his living situation, which is an on campus apartment vs communal dorms like over here. He'll have roommates and shared spaces but a private bedroom and en suite, which should help keep exposure and viral load down. DS feels comfortable with the way the uni has handled it and with how conservative the country has been in opening up. 

The college nearest us will be in person this fall, and all students/faculty are required to be vaccinated. I don’t think that’s true of all the schools in the state, though. 

My alma mater will be hybrid in September for nearly all courses. (Courses that were designed to be online from the outset will remain online, and medical/nursing courses which are required to be in-person will be entirely in-person). Students who cannot attend face-to-face but have a hybrid course are required to file for an exemption, which is reviewed on a case-by-case basis (most students are expected to continue the online element of their course until it becomes possible to rejoin the other students).

All lectures will be online, except for the medical/nursing courses where this is not allowed. All individual tutoring will be face-to-face unless the course was designed to be 100% online. All research, and teaching which involves participation in said research, will be face-to-face. Labs for postgraduate students will all be face-to-face, along with any session requiring practical work from students (so labs where students only observe someone else doing an experiment are in-person for postgraduates and online for undergraduates - but those where students do their own experiment are face-to-face for everyone). All students who have 2 recent negative COVID tests can book to visit the libraries (even for 100% online courses), but will be required to mask unless they're in the ~10% of adults who are currently exempt by law. The requirement will continue in university libraries even after the law ceases to make them mandatory, but there is no indication that masks will be compulsory to visit any other part of the university (except as the law may require). Seminars and similar small-group taught courses are handled at the discretion of individual departments; these may be face-to-face, online or a hybrid.

Medical/nursing students are advised to get weekly PCR testing during any phase of their course involving work in medical settings - with a note that some placements flat require it. Lateral flow tests appear to be free, but PCR tests are charged (because my alma mater does not provide these). Legal requirements for placements, which are expected to include compulsory masking with medical-grade masks, are also to be followed.

Nobody is required to vaccinate. However all students who have any on-campus component must submit to two lateral flow COVID tests per week. Students are expected to pre-book these in advance. There is a bookable vaccination centre that almost all unvaccinated students can use, especially if getting a vaccination elsewhere has proven difficult (one vaccine - Pfizer - has been cleared for age 16+ in England (but not Scotland, hence Laura's response), and students below the age of 17 require special permission to study at my alma mater in any case). Having said that, only some 16-17-year-olds can get it, generally those turning 18 soon or who are considered clinically vulnerable. However, vaccinated and unvaccinated students are to be treated identically as far as the other requirements are concerned.

All exams/assessments that can be online will be online, although any student required to self-isolate for any reason will still be able to get special consideration due to the self-isolation request with only a self-declaration form instead of the usual medical evidence requirement (essentially, it's granted for disruption to the student rather than strictly due to ill-health).

Optional study abroad has been cancelled, while mandatory study abroad (languages, international law and a couple of other fairly specific courses) is expected to go ahead subject to legal considerations.

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia

I haven't heard of any colleges around me that will not be in person. We have a local medium size private U that was mostly in person in Fall 2020. Some classes were online or hybrid but they were primarily back to in person classes. The university my 2021 grad is attending and the one my middle ds graduated from in Decemeber 2020 are back to in person with no vaccination requirement.

But I am a long way from California.

• Like 1

The college where I teach will be in person, vaccines required. Anyone who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons will be required to mask in all public spaces. Vaccines provided on arrival for international students who can’t get them earlier.  

My youngest is starting university in the fall, in person.  They're requiring vaccination as a condition of setting foot on campus (dorms or in-person classes), and making provisions (early arrival with housing, and on-campus vaccination) to enable international students who haven't had access to the vaccine in their home countries to return. 

All of her high school friends are also going to be starting in person.

Our local community college is doing some in-person and some online over the summer but plans to go all in-person in September. 

Our county vaccination rate is  80+% for ages 12+ and ~70% for the whole population, and things finally feel pretty close to normal, except for the sense of holding-our-collective-breath hoping we don't get a new variant that breaches the vaccines.

• Like 2

The two I know in our area will be in person, so far not stating that vaccines are required. Unvaccinated students must still wear masks. 

I don't expect to hear the final word until the week before classes. We're in a hot spot right now and admin won't make a final decision until they absolutely have to. I would suspect they will not move online at all. I do think they are offering more hybrid options for classes.

Yes. I'm in "What? Covid is a problem? Not anymore!"  country. One of the local private schools is requiring vaccination, one is recommending it and adding a surcharge if you are not vaccinated, the state U seems to be pretending it doesn't exist, and the CC plans to be back on campus, albeit with a more robust set of online options than previously because some students found it worked better for them and some classes worked quite well virtually. 

My just graduated kid loved doing CC classes for high school until they all went online.  It was a great social fit and gave the community needed...until COVID, when it didn't. 

• Like 1

My dd is starting dual enrollment this fall at a CC. We did 3 CC's info sessions (we're in a major metro, they're all within 20 minutes of us) and all 3 were different!  One said back to business as usual, one was stepping back to more in person, and one was keeping with primarily online.  

My son's big 10 university is planning on opening up wide as usual, with testing required for some and easy vaccination access.  Vaccination not required but some kids will be subject to quarantine/isolation if exposed and not vaccinated.   I suspect many of those students will show up and get vaccinated fairly quickly if they don't have a medical exemption of some kind.  They expect to be at about 80% vaccinated in the university system and the surrounding community based on how it is going.   

I just talked to a parent of a friend of my college age son he knew in high school and covid pushed him over the edge and he dropped out of college which is so sad because I know he is a smart kid and he had a great FA package.  I know continued online stuff really hurts some kids.  My dd will primarily do online DE stuff this fall just because she is doing a major theater production with a 6 week run over the holidays and she needs more schedule flexibility.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

DDs University says all in-person right now.  The local CC is still a mess- I think they are leaving it up to each teacher.  They have 8 week in person, 8 week online, 16 week in person (very few), 16 week online.  I would have had one there this fall, but not with the schedule like this.  Hoping for better (in person 16 weeks) classes next spring.  

2 hours ago, Danae said:

The college where I teach will be in person, vaccines required. Anyone who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons will be required to mask in all public spaces. Vaccines provided on arrival for international students who can’t get them earlier.  

This is the same for Northeastern University where my husband teaches.

• Like 1

We are in a high-vax, high-mask area, but local CCs will still be almost entirely online this fall, with a few hybrid classes offering both in person and recorded lectures. DD did not do well with all-online instruction so she will only take in-person classes from now on; with options being so limited for this fall (plus she has low registration priority), she may have to just keep working and sit out another semester. 

DS's university will be nearly all in person; I think the only courses left online are the huge intro classes with hundreds of students, in which case the lectures will be online but the recitations and labs will be in person. They are not requiring vaccination, but unvaxxed students must test twice a week. With all dorms back to full capacity, and all sports and clubs back to full activities, I'm not sure how well that's going to work. 

9 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Our CC and university will be fully open in the fall. No vax required. The university has planned prize drawings (unspecified) for those who share their vaccinated status.

Do you mean there are prizes for just sharing whether you are vaccinated or not, or only for those that share they are vaccinated?

College where I teach has been in person since fall 2020. For fall 2021, they will no longer distance and mask, and are not allowed to require vaccine because we'rea public school in a state with a republican state legislature ( where covid is running rampant currently...uggh)

Ds' College is private and can and will require vaccinations. They'll be in person , and have been previously. 

• Sad 1

@Roadrunner Foothill is having more classes in campus for Fall. It is a short driving commute for OP.  345 courses/sections in campus in department of:  Accounting,  Anthropology, Art, Athletics, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Child Development, Dental Hygiene, Dance, Economics, English, Engineering, Ethics Studies, Geography, Graphics & Interactive Design, History, Health, Environmental Horticulture & Design, Humanities, Kinesiology, Learning in New Media Classrooms, Mathematics, Media Studies, Music, Physical Education, Philosophy, Pharmacy Technician, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Therapy, Sociology, Theatre Arts, Veterinary Technology.

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Roadrunner Foothill is having more classes in campus for Fall. It is a short driving commute for OP.  345 courses/sections in campus in department of:  Accounting,  Anthropology, Art, Athletics, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Child Development, Dental Hygiene, Dance, Economics, English, Engineering, Ethics Studies, Geography, Graphics & Interactive Design, History, Health, Environmental Horticulture & Design, Humanities, Kinesiology, Learning in New Media Classrooms, Mathematics, Media Studies, Music, Physical Education, Philosophy, Pharmacy Technician, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Therapy, Sociology, Theatre Arts, Veterinary Technology.

Do you have an official release of some sorts on this? I would love to forward that to our CC. 

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Do you have an official release of some sorts on this? I would love to forward that to our CC. 

No. I just check the Fall schedule since registration starts today for veterans & foster youths. Currently in Phase 2 and expected to be in Phase 3 for Fall. 

Just now, Arcadia said:

No. I just check the Fall schedule since registration starts today for veterans & foster youths. Currently in Phase 2 and expected to be in Phase 3 for Fall. 

You are lucky. We were told due to enrollment falling some things will never be in person probably. They think they can get more students online. I really think rural areas get a very bad deal. 😞 

26 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

We were told due to enrollment falling some things will never be in person probably. They think they can get more students online. I really think rural areas get a very bad deal. 😞 

We are currently at 76% vaccinated (2 doses) for 12 and older, 82.4 % for completed 1 dose. Mission CC and West Valley CC are also in my county. There are vaccination drives at the CCs.

12 hours ago, Bambam said:

All the state schools I know of in Texas will be in person. The school my youngest attends was mostly back in person this past spring. 

This.  Dallas College (our large community college system) is already back in person, though they still offer lots of online options.  As I understand it, any school (or entity of any kind) that receives state funding can't require Covid vaccines.  That may change when they are fully FDA approved.

If A&M planned to remain all or mostly online, I doubt ds would be willing to return.  Last year was miserable.