Menu

Spin off- wedding gifts that you still use?

teachermom2834

Dh and I went straight from dorm life to married life. We were broke and had nothing yet and came from families that were very working class. So we had the traditional need for dish towels/salt shakers/everything under the sun and that is what we were given. 

I have often joked that you need another shower for your 20th anniversary because everything needs to be replaced by then. I do have a few things we still use after 25 years a set of stainless steel mixing bowls and a large plastic cutting board both that I probably use at least five times a week. I also have a set of Corning ware casserole dishes that are still my main casserole pans. I have no idea who gave us those things and I doubt I was super impressed at the time.

I do remember three sets of aunts/uncles went in on a card table and chairs. That was not requested but ended up being awesome and practical. We’ve replaced the chairs several times but I still use the card table several times a year and think of the givers. 

Going really way back I just in the last couple of years threw away a washcloth and bath towel I was given for my high school graduation in 1992. I used that towel set all through college and it made it another twenty years in marriage. I’m am totally not a hoarder so holding on to it that long is saying something. That gift had staying power! Lol

Seems we are deciding in Quill’s thread that most non-cash gifts have a high probability of being a dud. Do you have any gifts, surprising or not, that have stood the test of time? Do you remember who gave them to you?

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 5

I still have almost everything that wasn’t everyday linens or a small appliance. I have gradually replaced the Corelle everyday dishes and iced tea glasses due to breakage, but have basically the same pattern. I inherited China and silver before I got married, so I didn’t ask for any of that stuff. 

• Like 4

Here are some of the ones I remember: who gave them and still use today:

1. Everyday set of dishes - MIL

2. Grandfather Clock - FIL

3. Queen size down comforter - Best friend's parents

4. Towel set - Aunt

5. Silverware - various friends

6. Wine Glasses - friend of the family

7. Coffee mugs - college friend

8. Knife set - a close friend who is a chef

We registered for many practical things we would actually use.  Also, I use things until they are useless.  We had a small wedding and to be honest not many had a lot of money, so several went in on gifts together. 

The only duds I specifically remember is the amount of blank photo albums and empty picture frames.  They were all wedding themed, and I didn't need 4 wedding photo albums nor did I need many, many framed pictures of myself and my DH (all the frames said "bride and groom" or "wedding day").  

• Like 4

Honestly, we were recent college graduates marrying and starting a household, and 23 years later, we still are using many of our wedding gifts (dishes, silverware, kitchen appliances like mixer and blender).  I still have crystal (given by an aunt based on my oohs and ahhs as a child of like four), but I've been too intimidated to use it.  I have some artwork that I was given hung up.  Most of the sheets and such have died, however.  

• Like 6

I have a lot of things.  Some (like towels) are threadbare and are now used as rags.  Some like my fine china (yes, I got that at showers and as wedding gifts) I still use for special occasions.  My ILs gave me a kitchenaid stand mixer which was expensive but I have used for almost 30 years now.  And I see no signs of it breaking any time soon. 

• Like 4

We were married 25 years ago next month pretty much right out of college, and both of us were still living at home when we got married.  I think the most special gift is the candle stick holder that was given to my by my grandmother that had belonged to her mother.  My other grandparents gave us the silverware we are still using.  We still have most of the everyday dishes, and use them.  They came from various relatives.  There is a pizza pan and pizza cutter my MIL gave me at my shower.  We still have a few of the towels, but they are very worn out.  We have the couple's Bible that was given to us by friends from Bible college.  The four cup coffee maker, not sure who gave it to us.  Also, various pie pans, casserole dishes, crystal bowls/glasses, etc. that I still use.  Some blankets, one was made by a friend of DH.  There are several other things that I am not thinking of at the moment.

• Like 4

Every day dishes, informal china, wine glasses, casserole dishes, tortilla warmer, cookbooks, stainless flatware, steak knives, ice cream dishes, candlesticks, flower vase, iron skillet, pots and pans, serving trays, electric knife, placemats and napkins, tablecloths, canisters, gravy boat, sugar bowl and creamer, salad bowls, crock pot, trivet.  

I have some things that I know were wedding gifts my parents received over 60 years ago, like the lamps in my living room were given to my parents by one of my mother's aunts.  

Some of the gifts I used most are items that decades later I no longer have either because they wore out, broke, or are no longer useful for this stage in my life.  Some of the gifts that have been my truly favorite gifts were items that were not on our reigstry but were things I would have never thought to ask for or were truly special, meaninful gifts from the giver.  

• Like 7

My late mom was who made sure my kitchen was ready to go and we still use it all 28 years later! (everyday dishes, flatware, cookware set, knife set)

Off the top of my head, other things I still use and can tell you the name of the giver: mixing bowl set, large sheet pans, pitcher, coffee grinder, teapot, broom.

Lots of people contributed to our Christmas China that we use everyday in December and January and our wine glasses.

The dud I remember was an iced tea maker that was trendy at the time.

• Like 5

I've been married 27 years.  There's nothing I still use unless you count the quilt MIL, her MIL, and her SIL made (very simple single piece of fabric string tied, made in a day) that I sometimes use if we need an extra  blanket to sit on the ground.  It's a nice gesture, but no one bothered asking me if I liked the mauve pink carpet that came in my husband's house that was the inspiration for color scheme. (I hated it, so did he. It was standard for that builder in the late 1980s.)  Or if I like giant floral prints. (I don't.)  So I smiled, said than you, and have used it on the ground every now and then. I'm a quilter and when my daughters got married, I did a consult with them so they could pick the pattern and color scheme.

We didn't register because my husband had his own fully stocked house he'd been living in for several years.

• Like 4

We've been married a little less than 20 years, and still use many things we got as wedding gifts - baking pans/casserole dishes, fine china we get out for holidays, camping gear, kitchen knives. 

DH and I had both lived in apartments with roommates before we got married, but between the two of us we owned much less than a "complete" set of kitchen needs. Wedding gifts were super useful toward getting started on our own. 

• Like 5

I use and enjoy my china, silver, and crystal!

Other wedding gifts still in use and appreciated: good knives, kitchen aid hand mixer, emile henry casserole dishes, bakeware, pretty serving pieces, bread bowl.

Most of the linens have bern retired to rags. 

• Like 4

Nothing.  We both didn’t live at home so we already had everything.  Most gave us cash/gift cards if they felt the need to give as we bought an old fixer upper house. 

Thinking back-  I only received one gift that was a hideous set of drinking glasses complete with palm trees painted on them.  Someone I was close to used to joke about her mother’s love of odd glasses and how they would fit into her collection. I gave them to her to enjoy. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After more than 3 decades I can only remember one wedding gift we still use. It’s a framed drawing of dh and I sitting on a fence and in very small lettering our wedding date is written. It’s a cute reminder of how young we were and it was a good way to remember our wedding date. 

FIL built a little trellis thing to backdrop the flowers -we were married in their back yard. We have that and are refinishing it and our daughter is using it this fall when she gets married.

• Like 9

My sister in law gave us a stainless steel? Cake knife.  I used it for years.  I lost it when I brought it to a pot luck years ago.  So not expensive but was very practical.  We still use a brass clock someone gave us.  We were given some towels that last 10+ years.   I remember getting practical presents that lasted their necessary life span and some were nice but gave away years of moving and not using.

• Like 3

So much! 

Married in 2000. We still have/use:

All our dish set, some utensils (the ones that didn't somehow walk off). Crock pot, hand mixer, measuring cups. Towels and wash cloths. A couple of dish towels. Salt and pepper shakers. Dining chairs (not the same table) -- dining set was a gift from my parents. Several baking/casserole dishes. 

• Like 3

We use almost everything, at least that came off our registry.  Married 21 years ago.  We started our fiesta collection then, still use daily.  Just replaced the kitchen aid mixer we got from DH's parents in the past year.  China and crystal comes out for special occasions.  Our flatware, which is SO nice, I still love is still our everyday silverware.  It's so heavy and sturdy, nothing bent.   Guy Degrenne from France is the brand, it's still around.   

• Like 3

Lots of stuff.  Still have the bridal book with the gifts, shower games, and other games listed.   Just threw away the crockpot from 1978 when it stopped working.  Kept the last dishtowel from one aunt, wore the others and my original bath towels out.  Blender and utensil jar are from my maid of honor.  Still have two of the three of the set of Corelle casseroles.  His aunt worried that they'd break.  Only lost the big one, which is fine for us now. haha.  Have been busy buying pieces of silverware as the garbage disposal must have destroyed a lot of it with kids doing dishes over the years.  Decorative items are still in use- plate from my aunts, afghan from his mom, planter from a friend's mom shaped like a tree with our initials on the back.  Seldomly used, but three crystal bowls we got are in the glass cabinet.  

My mil took me shopping and we picked out a coffee table that I still love.  I went back and got a couple round end tables to match.  We got the card table and chairs-- which have been heavily used through the years, the following Christmas.

• Like 2

We've been married over thirty years.

We received four different ice cream makers when we married; none are still with us. (My college roommate married a few years earlier; she received a like number of woks!)

Used daily or regularly:

Our dishes,  Dansk Bistro Maribo -- from several family members

Down comforter -- from my sister and her then husband

Corning Counter Saver (similar to this here) -- grad school friends

Large oak cutting board -- old friends of my husband

Used occasionally:

Pewter salad servers -- from my PhD advisor

Wine glasses -- from the man who married us

Assorted vases, bowls, and platters -- co-workers of my husband

We had a set of handwoven placemats that served us well for over twenty years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Married for 45 years and counting. We didn’t get a lot of gifts that were around more than 5 years...towels, sheets , Knick knacks I never wanted..wierd stuff. I got a crock pot I had until  about 5 years ago. Corelle dishes Have changed patterns, but still all white...few pieces from the original set . Really I can’t think of anything still in use here.

However, I do have a cookie jar from my Mom that was a wedding gift in ....1953!

• Like 3

After 16 years, we still have a quite a lot of wedding presents in use (we got 2 Scrabble sets IIRC!) but the most surprising one has to be the bread maker, which as made at least one loaf a week since my uncle and aunt bought it for us. It's showing a few signs of wear, but really still going strong.

We also have a few hand-me-down towels from my parents that were *their* wedding presents 47 years ago! They're in our not-best-but-not-rags-yet pile of towels.

• Like 2

26 years later, two things that dh and I have marveled about for the extremely useful nature of the gifts: an electric skillet (this did break a few years ago, though) and a set of J.A. Henkles knives. (Man do I love those knives!) 

Other things with longevity include a hunter green towel that dh still uses often and my Cuisineart food processor. And the flatware - Oneida - we still use, though I have bought extras several times (where the hell do all the spoons get to??). The ladle from that set is the coveted item and dh wants me to buy a second one, because it is the perfect size and all other ladles are stoopidly large. 

I do have a ton of crystal goblets I never use, though. I don’t even use the wine glasses from that set anymore because I love my stemless wineglass that says “Obliviate” on it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Dh and I went straight from dorm life to married life. We were broke and had nothing yet and came from families that were very working class. So we had the traditional need for dish towels/salt shakers/everything under the sun and that is what we were given. 

I have often joked that you need another shower for your 20th anniversary because everything needs to be replaced by then. I do have a few things we still use after 25 years a set of stainless steel mixing bowls and a large plastic cutting board both that I probably use at least five times a week. I also have a set of Corning ware casserole dishes that are still my main casserole pans. I have no idea who gave us those things and I doubt I was super impressed at the time.

I do remember three sets of aunts/uncles went in on a card table and chairs. That was not requested but ended up being awesome and practical. We’ve replaced the chairs several times but I still use the card table several times a year and think of the givers. 

Going really way back I just in the last couple of years threw away a washcloth and bath towel I was given for my high school graduation in 1992. I used that towel set all through college and it made it another twenty years in marriage. I’m am totally not a hoarder so holding on to it that long is saying something. That gift had staying power! Lol

Seems we are deciding in Quill’s thread that most non-cash gifts have a high probability of being a dud. Do you have any gifts, surprising or not, that have stood the test of time? Do you remember who gave them to you?

Still have and use and know who gave them: white dinnerware, stainless steel mixing bowls, nesting set of metal colanders, knickknacks/bowls/pictures, salt and pepper shakers, and our mattress set.

Still have but rarely use- fancy stemware/drink glasses. Nightgown.

Had a white kitchen wastebasket  for 12 years and I remembered her every time.  Great gift!  Actually it was a shower gift filled with cleaning stuff. 

Cookware and many kitchen items were well used and had to be replaced over the years. Same with towels and bedding items.  Down duvet given away before moving to florida. 

i appreciated the money, but I really enjoyed the gifts.  

• Like 1

I haven't been married, but I can sort of chime in.  My mom used to give young couples Farberware pots/pans for wedding presents.  When I moved to the grad school dorm, she gave me one of her old 3 qt pots.  That was 33 years ago and the pot was already old.  I still use that pot regularly.  In fact, it's my favorite pot.  😛

After I moved into an apartment, my mom got me some towels for Christmas, which I still use.  Again, over 30 years later.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 years in June.

Kitchen stuff: there are a couple of glass baking pans that I still have and I think the hand mixer is from the wedding (I think). And a set of sturdy mixing bowls.

Furniture: when I moved out, my parents gave me a number of antiques (bookcases, wardrobe, sideboard, etc.). They weren’t wedding presents per se, but I still have all of those pieces and never plan on getting rid of them. 

Decor: there are two matching vases in green glass that an older lady in my church bought for me in an antique store. I knew they cost too much for her to really afford, but she thought I’d love them. She’s right. I did love them and still do. I still have those.

But the dishes/glasses/knives/towels/etc all wore out and have been replaced

(Or the patterns on the dishes got dated and are now ugly to me. I still have those dishes in the shed and I need to get rid of them. They’re so ugly and probably have lead in them, so I’m going to donate them to a local rage room where you can pay to smash things up.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I forgot something important because it isn't used everyday.  One of my late sister's gave us a beautiful vase and then sent us flowers every month for a year.  Such a great gift!

I love this!  What a perfect gift and special memory for you.  ❤️

We've been married 34 years and still have quite a few things but we aren't good about getting rid of stuff.  We have knives, dishtowels, potholders, a cooler, a beautiful tray with matching bowls, a cake plate (that we never used and never will), and some other kitchen items. 

One of DH's relatives was a firefighter and he gave us a fire extinguisher as a gift! 

• Like 2

Still have and use often the Belgian waffle maker.  Love that thing!

Finally wore out the ice cream maker a year or so ago.  

Our wedding was in 1987 so those lasted pretty well!

One thing that is interesting—a lot of the things we picked out but were not gifted we ended up buying over the years, and the research to make up the registry was really helpful.  So, no one gave us a Kitchen Aid mixer but when we could buy a mixer, that’s the one we bought because we already knew we wanted that kind.  Same with pots and pans.  

Funny story:  When we were picking out fine China there was one pattern that DH really liked but it was personal to him rather than personal to us.  So we didn’t pick it for the registry, but later on I went back and bought him a coffee/dessert set in that pattern—coffee pot, sugar bowl, creamer, two cups and saucers, and two salad/dessert plates.  He was delighted, and we displayed it on our tea cart for several years.  

Moral:  The process of registering is helpful in several ways.

• Like 3

ALSO!  We honeymooned in a foreign country, as did a friend of ours a month earlier, and he brought us cash currency from that country as a wedding gift.  That was super convenient as we never had to seek out a place to exchange money there (we did not spend much but it was nice to have some cash.)

• Like 4

Cutco knives, some of our sheets (the Walmart cotton ones have lasted and lasted!), some of our towels, many casseroles, utensils, mixing bowls and serving dishes, Christmas decorations (including small and large nativity sets), a non-homemade quilt, coasters, everyday decorations, a suitcase. 

I got so many candleholders, most from Party Lite. They are probably all still beautiful, but I gave many away as most candles bother my asthma. That was sad. I think I kept a couple of sentimental holders though, and we thoroughly enjoyed burning those candles (before asthma) as they were all nicely scented. 

I don't have much almost 22 years later. Several items just got replaced recently though. 

My pizza cutter finally kicked the bucket a few months ago - a co-worker got me a whole bunch of small kitchen tools for wedding or bridal shower.

Silver candleholders - childhood best friend. We never use them, but they are still here.

Flatware we use every day - my grandma & 2 aunts bought me a whole Oneida set.

I just got rid of the "Green Thing" last year - I can't remember who gave it to us (possibly one of DH's aunts?), but it was a seriously ugly breadbox sized thing of pottery with a lid. It was washed with kind of baby puke green stain. We kept change in the "Green Thing" for decades - I got rid of it this past year in some pandemic inspired decluttering.

Some towels just gave out - given by a family friend. I remember opening the gift in front of her and she said, "I didn't know what to get you so I went off your registry." And I feigned a smile while thinking "That wasn't my registry - these towels are ugly". The towels were a strange tan-brown-gray color. They were, however, very well made LOL!

I have my Grandma's frilly 1940s aprons she got at her wedding - she gifted them to me since I was the only granddaughter. 

I think my small crockpot is from my wedding as well, although from whom I no longer recall. I also have handwritten recipes from my bridal shower. 

WHY FOR THE LOVE OF PETE DON’T I HAVE A PIZZA CUTTER?  SERIOUSLY, I NEED ONE.

So, I like some particular old linens, and I used to feel kind of bad when someone listed some brand new ones on EBay from like the 1940s, like they were never used and enjoyed.  But the truth is, there are some things that just having them makes you feel a little lift.  I have a small rug like that, (insert long story here), that I’m so glad I have even though it is too fragile for the floor.  And I’m glad that whoever had those hand embroidered ‘day of the week’ dishtowels made lo these many years ago kept them nice so that I could use and enjoy them now.

• Like 5

Not my wedding gift but when I moved out in 1987, my mother gave me the towels she had received as a wedding gift in 1964.  "Made in USA" and still going strong (no holes, frayed edges, thinning...) even though they are our everyday towels.

• Like 4

28 years for me. I use my Wedgwood fine china every single day. It’s Strawberry and Vine, so perfect for everyday use. I use my formal Lenox a couple of times a year. I use my Gorham crystal a bit more often—to dress up the casual Wedgwood. Mostly iced beverage stems, so they are more practical than say a white wine stem. I still use my Oneida Juilliard, but I have an second inexpensive set that we use most of the time. I got sick of losing expensive teaspoons. My daughter has my copper bottomed Revere pots because they work better on her gas range. 

The surprise hit gift was a glass Mikasa salad bowl that a cousin gave me. I use it quite often. I think of her every time. 

I still have some of the McRae’s gift cards that came with many of my formal china dinner plates that say who they were from and what was included—so I have the card that has my maternal grandparents names and that I received a full place setting from them. I have been diligent to keep each card with its plate all these years. I only saved 4, so it’s not hard. I love knowing—“this is the plate Grandmommy gave me.” “This is the plate Aunt ——-gave me.” 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I laughed when I read this!! I grew up in a home without a pizza cutter—my mother has never had one. 

That was one of the first things I bought after I was on my own. I cannot imagine life without a pizza cutter now. 😂

• Like 2

I had a tiny wedding, so we received very few presents. I still have a crystal heart-shaped bowl and a crystal vase. The vase is the size for a full bouquet so it doesn't get used often, but when it does, I am happy to have it. The crystal bowl is stuck in a cupboard somewhere, but it is still around the house.  

• Like 2

I asked for no presents as we were in a small apartment in another state but we got some anyway and I appreciate them.

23 years later I still use (off the top of my head)

A large lodge cast iron frying pan

The engraved frame a wedding picture is in,

One steak knife out of 4 (no idea what happened to the others)

A painted crock with our names and wedding date painted on it stores large utensils on our island,

A couple pages out of my Betty Crocker cookbook. The spine eventually died but my favorite recipes were saved.

There might be more but that's what comes to mind quickly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

So, I like some particular old linens, and I used to feel kind of bad when someone listed some brand new ones on EBay from like the 1940s, like they were never used and enjoyed.  But the truth is, there are some things that just having them makes you feel a little lift.  I have a small rug like that, (insert long story here), that I’m so glad I have even though it is too fragile for the floor.  And I’m glad that whoever had those hand embroidered ‘day of the week’ dishtowels made lo these many years ago kept them nice so that I could use and enjoy them now.

How do you cut your quesodillas?! 😳

😁

• Like 2

Only the decorated and framed copy of our wedding invite that my sister gave us.  Also  my bouquet flowers that my mom made into a wreath, though one wasn't received for several years so it didn't have to the cross country moves.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 2

20 years, and I can’t remember if it was an actual wedding gift or just a gift. We got married the same year we met and about a month after getting our apartment, and didn’t exactly have a formal wedding, so it’s kind of a blur... but my MIL gave us two full, matching sets of every day dishes. Mugs, bowls, and all but one small plate and saucer are gone, but we still have and use almost all of the dinner plates. We no longer associate with her, but the plates are great!

With my discount on un-fulfilled registry items, I bought myself the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It’s falling apart and I no longer need to reference it, but my kids still use it.  I only knew how to cook a few of my mom’s main dishes when we first got married, at least when it comes to cooking from scratch, and it was a life saver.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rdj2027 said:

Not my wedding gift but when I moved out in 1987, my mother gave me the towels she had received as a wedding gift in 1964.  "Made in USA" and still going strong (no holes, frayed edges, thinning...) even though they are our everyday towels.

Wow! How is that even possible?! I've been through so many sets of towels since we married in 1990. Amazing! 

• Like 1

After 14 years, we still use the Fiesta ware. We got so many bathroom towels, and many of them are still in very good shape. All of the kitchen towels are long gone, though, worn out. Steak knives and a nice knife are still in use, but two sets of cheap knives are long gone.  A set of Pyrex dishes we still have most of, and a Pyrex measuring cup. A tea pitcher, crock pot, mixing bowls. The furniture we bought with wedding cash is still going strong.

My home church and DH’s home church both threw showers, plus the gifts at the actual wedding, so there were a lot of things that were duplicates (2 electric skillets, 2 or 3 sets of Pyrex, measuring cups galore). We returned some things, but some things didn’t have receipts, and we didn’t know where they came from, so we just had all this stuff. I appreciated the thought, but it was overwhelming. I try to either go with something on the registry and make sure the receipt is with it, or go with cash because of this.

I did really appreciate the mixing bowl ser, though, so I went off registry to get SIL a set in her favorite color, plus a bread cookbook, since I knew she wanted to get into bread baking. The bowls I know they used, but the cookbook maybe not so much. 

• Like 1