Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

I don't know if it makes a difference with vaccines (or with covid vaccines in particular), but I have to give myself a weekly injection and it hurts much, much more if it is cold.  I was told to leave it on the counter for an hour to warm up, but I have found that it is still too cold after an hour.  I usually like to leave it out overnight (which is allowed per manufacturer's guidelines).

• Like 4

Just now, Junie said:

I don't know if it makes a difference with vaccines (or with covid vaccines in particular), but I have to give myself a weekly injection and it hurts much, much more if it is cold.  I was told to leave it on the counter for an hour to warm up, but I have found that it is still too cold after an hour.  I usually like to leave it out overnight (which is allowed per manufacturer's guidelines).

Ditto. I don't leave mine out overnight, but usually around three or four hours. Even then it's still pretty darn ouchy . I'm guessing the Covid vaccine is going to be a breeze for people like us.

• Like 3

I had a choice between the J&J or one of the two shot vaccines. I chose the two shot because of the greater protection against mild symptoms (at least as we know so far). I ended up with Pfizer, which I was happy about since we know a little more about it providing some transmission protection. I wouldn't be surprised if more data supported the others in this too, but I'll go with what we know so far.

• Like 2

My husband had his 2nd dose of Moderna yesterday morning.  He has felt a little tired today, and he took a nap for about an hour.  His arm was sore after the first shot (but not too bad), but so far his arm isn’t sore with the second one.  It’s been almost 36 hours at this point so I assume he will be fine tomorrow.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 6

Had my first shot of Moderna this week, I could barely feel it going in. My husband had the same shot about a month previous and he said it hurt (maybe he was tense because he really, really hates shots?).  My arm was sore the next day and I had a mild headache, which was nagging to me for a day. 

I didn't seek out any certain vaccine. A friend of mine though said her doctor told her to get Moderna over Pfizer because of her auto-immune disease. Idk why, maybe there were more reactions, and this was before J&J came out. Idk if studies show any reactions to that or not.  

• Like 5

I had my first Pfizer vaccine 9 hours ago - yay!  I kept my arm limp and didn't feel the needle going in at all.  😄  My dh sat in the booth next to me and said it hurt a tiny bit going in, but that was it.  So far, neither of us have a sore arm or any other symptom, but we'll see how the night and tomorrow go.  

My dh has had severe reactions to drugs -- the list on his chart is slowly building.  But, never a severe reaction to a vaccine.  We waited for 15 minutes after our vaccine today, and then were good to go.  They were so organized!  It was basically a family-operated event.  The tiny drugstore's owners are the head pharmacist and his wife.  The wife stood by the door and smiled and greeted everyone as they arrived, as though they were coming for a dinner party.  🙂   Her dh gave the vaccines.  Their dd and a few other employees did the paperwork, etc.  

They're one of the few (maybe the only?) independent drugstores in our state given authority to do this.  I know it included lots of training, etc.  We felt like we were in very good hands.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, math teacher said:

It's been a rough day-temperature was 102.2 at one point. Ds went and got me some tylenol, and I think it has helped a lot. Just an FYI, Aleve did nothing for me.

My state site recommended tylenol. You'll be feeling better soon! 

• Like 4

Re: tylenol--we've had a post-vaccine death in my state that may be tylenol related; a 39 year old woman who experienced liver failure and died after a couple of days in the hospital, about four days post vaccination. The medical investigation is ongoing but the VAERS report shows she had taken tylenol and was being treated with medication to counteract it. Maybe she took too much, maybe it was just a fluke thing (liver damage does sometimes happen with normal doses of tylenol); her family is blaming the vaccination for her death but given the known association between tylenol and liver damage I suspect that as the cause.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

3 minutes ago, maize said:

Re: tylenol--we've had a post-vaccine death in my state that may be tylenol related; a 39 year old woman who experienced liver failure and died after a couple of days in the hospital, about four days post vaccination. The medical investigation was ongoing but the VAERS report shows she had taken tylenol and was being treated with medication to counteract it. Maybe she took too much, maybe it was just a fluke thing (liver damage does sometimes happen with normal doses of tylenol); her family is blaming the vaccination for her death but given the known association between tylenol and liver damage I suspect that as the cause.

That oughtn't happen if you don't take too much, right?? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That oughtn't happen if you don't take too much, right?? 

Liver toxicity at normal (recommended) doses is very, very rare.

I imagine that a petite woman may want to stay below maximum recommended doses, maybe consider children's dosing recommendations by weight. We really ought to have charts like that for adults as well; tolerances for a 6'5" 250lb man are going to be very different than for a 4'11" 95 lb woman.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, maize said:

I imagine that a petite woman may want to stay below maximum recommended doses, maybe consider children's dosing recommendations by weight. We really ought to have charts like that for adults as well; tolerances for a 6'5" 250lb man are going to be very different than for a 4'11" 95 lb woman.

On that topic, I was just thinking about something similar this morning - are side effects/reactions from the vaccines different based on a person's height/weight?  I'm guessing that's not an issue but wasn't sure.  In our family, DH and dd both are very sensitive to vaccines (DH is still recovering from a tetanus shot on Thursday - I can't imagine what he's going to go through with the covid vaccine).  I'm much lighter than him (so is dd) and rarely react to vaccines and, if I do, it's usually mild.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maize said:

Re: tylenol--we've had a post-vaccine death in my state that may be tylenol related; a 39 year old woman who experienced liver failure and died after a couple of days in the hospital, about four days post vaccination. The medical investigation is ongoing but the VAERS report shows she had taken tylenol and was being treated with medication to counteract it. Maybe she took too much, maybe it was just a fluke thing (liver damage does sometimes happen with normal doses of tylenol); her family is blaming the vaccination for her death but given the known association between tylenol and liver damage I suspect that as the cause.

She may have taken too much Tylenol (e.g. more than 8 extra-strength Tylenol per day), and/or taken multiple medications that each contained acetaminophen without realizing it, and/or consumed alcohol with Tylenol, which significantly increases the risk of liver damage.

• Like 2

My 73 yo dad who I did not think would agree to get the shot got his first Phizer yesterday morning. It is a relief as the last year has been a challenge trying to work with him on safety measures while still seeing him. Now all the adults in our extended family that skipped the holiday get togethers has had a shot. It is a relief. 

I’m actually not sure we’ll get my dad in for his second shot. He was very reluctant and he is a boxing fan and there is speculation that the death of former boxer Marvin Hagler is post vaccine.  I feel glad that we got the first shot in him though. I wonder how many people will decide the 92% immunity is good enough and forgo the second shot and all the unpleasant side effects being reported. 

So for my family of my dad, sister and her husband, and dh and me who have all had our first shots, only my sister felt it was anything worse that a sore arm typical of a shot. Dh and I had Moderna. The others had Phizer.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Husband has been very tired and his body aches after his AstraZeneca jab yesterday.  His arm is only mildly sore and he doesn't have a high temperature.  The same happened to my brother and he was fine within 24 hours.

Husband is fine this morning apart from a slightly sore arm, so that's one day of exhaustion and aches. 

They start sending out Blue Envelopes to my age cohort (without underlying conditions) from today, so I'll be watching for the postie.  This is the vaccination status now:

image.thumb.png.fd2af7d95319ee426c8b467765f7ca7b.png

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 14

I'm scheduled for my "jab" on Wednesday at the local Walgreens. I'm a bit nervous about side effects (Moderna) but very very grateful! I created an account at Walgreens.com, and signed up for vaccine updates. Lo and behold, I got an email saying there were available appointments in my area this week. Other people I know are traveling 1.5 hours one way to get their vaccines so I feel lucky!

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I'm scheduled for my "jab" on Wednesday at the local Walgreens. I'm a bit nervous about side effects (Moderna) but very very grateful! I created an account at Walgreens.com, and signed up for vaccine updates. Lo and behold, I got an email saying there were available appointments in my area this week. Other people I know are traveling 1.5 hours one way to get their vaccines so I feel lucky!

I'm scheduled for my first on Thursday (Moderna).  And, like you, I got an appointment locally and am so grateful that I don't have to travel far - especially with two doses.  

• Like 4

My husband had his first dose Saturday (Moderna).  He was able to get it at the local health dept.  He was perfectly fine.  Just a typical sore arm which is to be expected when you get a vaccine in the muscle.   He has already scheduled his second dose.

My appointment for my first dose (not sure whether it will be Pfizer or Moderna) is Wednesday.  I will be driving about an hour for it.  Zero complaints from me on the drive.  I would drive further if I had to.  It is that important to me to get vaccinated.  It still doesn't feel real and I have said that I won't believe it until the needle is in my arm.   I am getting it at a mass vaccination drive thru site and I just hope all goes well and I get the shot.   I am also hoping that indeed I get one of the two they said it would be.  I much prefer one of the mRNA vaccines.  But won't turn down J&J if that is what they have.    Getting this vaccine is truly like Christmas for me.  I teared up when my husband called saying he had gotten his and I teared up when I scheduled mine.  I can't wait for Wednesday and so pray all goes well.

Congratulations to all of you who have been vaccinated!!

• Like 19

Dh’s age group opened up this morning and I registered him for an appointment next week! I really like how our state system works. It showed all nearby locations and listed which vaccines they’re using. So, I got him in next week at a location that only has Pfizer because that’s the one I prefer if given a choice. 

• Like 9

My second set of ILs are scheduled for Thursday. J and J. So happy!  This will mean all our parents are vaccinated.  Whew.

Anyone having luck with getting high risk teens shots?  Mine has been on the list since late Jan, but no luck.  He’s eligible, due to medical, but I think he might have a long wait.

• Like 4

They opened up BMI greater than 25 yesterday in San Diego County, which is pretty much most Americans. Scored a Moderna clinic spot for my husband and he was vaccinated this morning. We are thrilled. Also, signed Ronen up (my 7 year old) for a Moderna trial. They have a site in La Jolla. Hopefully, he will get selected. Fingers crossed. Offit is saying that they are very close to being done with the Pfizer trial for the 12+ kids, so I am hoping that Sacha will be vaccinated before he leaves for Space Academy this summer. There is light!!!!  

• Like 16

Wow.  Things are really moving here.  My closest IRL friend called to say she and her DH have appts for Saturday.

And DS just got his invitation for tomorrow.  He’s my medically complex kid, and I am suddenly terribly nervous. And excited.

• Like 12

I got my first today (Pfizer)!  Kroger mostly is only vaccinating people 65 or over or in certain professions, but there was like a 48 hour window where they opened it up to anyone with any pre-existing conditions, and I hit it right at midnight exactly and got an appointment.  Second one is in three weeks.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I got my first today (Pfizer)!  Kroger mostly is only vaccinating people 65 or over or in certain professions, but there was like a 48 hour window where they opened it up to anyone with any pre-existing conditions, and I hit it right at midnight exactly and got an appointment.  Second one is in three weeks.

Nice!! How are you feeling? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kand said:

Can I say again how envious I am about how many of of you have been able to be vaccinated? I think I’m going to have to rely on Biden’s directive that everyone be able to sign up starting May 1st, and that’s when my hunt will begin. I expect it will be very hard to get one when they finally open it up to everyone here. 

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I am so frustrated that Oregon is moving SO slowly and they have not changed their tiers at all while other states are moving rapidly to open new tiers. This is what you get when your vaccine program is designed by a committee of 27 people (yes, literally 27 people). So we have categories like fisheries workers, people displaced by wildfires (that happened last summer), people living in multigenerational households, etc., and then everyone 45-64, even with known risk factors like asthma or hypertension, is lumped in at the end, which still shows as opening in June. Even if we follow Biden's directive and open it to everyone on May 1, there will be a mad scramble and it will probably be June before I can get an appointment anyway. So frustrating knowing that I would be eligible already in so many other states, but will be stuck waiting months here. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I am so frustrated that Oregon is moving SO slowly and they have not changed their tiers at all while other states are moving rapidly to open new tiers. This is what you get when your vaccine program is designed by a committee of 27 people (yes, literally 27 people). So we have categories like fisheries workers, people displaced by wildfires (that happened last summer), people living in multigenerational households, etc., and then everyone 45-64, even with known risk factors like asthma or hypertension, is lumped in at the end, which still shows as opening in June. Even if we follow Biden's directive and open it to everyone on May 1, there will be a mad scramble and it will probably be June before I can get an appointment anyway. So frustrating knowing that I would be eligible already in so many other states, but will be stuck waiting months here. 😞 

I wish there was just one unified method and a unified system for how people could sign up. Like, DH could get a shot in NY because he's a professor, but he wouldn't be eligible in MA, which is really where we are right now 😛 . 

One way or another, I'm not going to be able to get my shot too soon, because I'm not old enough and don't have any conditions. Well, maybe if they open it up to mildly overweight BMIs, like in San Diego, lol. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

One way or another, I'm not going to be able to get my shot too soon, because I'm not old enough and don't have any conditions. Well, maybe if they open it up to mildly overweight BMIs, like in San Diego, lol. 

Georgia is open to everyone over 25 BMI, too, and there has been some serious defensiveness on some of the facebook vaccine groups I'm in: "But I'm a RUNNER! It's MUSCLE!" Yes, it's true--BMI is a terrible, outdated metric--quit complaining and go get your shot, people!

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 8
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Georgia is open to everyone over 25 BMI, too, and there has been some serious defensiveness on some of the facebook vaccine groups I'm in: "But I'm a RUNNER! It's MUSCLE!" Yes, it's true--BMI is a terrible, outdated metric--quit complaining and go get your shot, people!

I'm not a runner, and I could stand to lose 10 pounds, lol. I won't complain if that means I'm eligible! 😛 

• Like 8

Dh got his first Moderna shot on Friday, and I'm scheduled for mine this Thursday. I'm very, very pleased and relieved, though really it'll be seven weeks or so until both of our vaccinations are fully effective, so I'll be holding my breath until then. Based on his work and dd's required school testing (😠) we have unavoidably increasing risk atm.

Signing up here is nutty. The state has priority groups including various professions, ages, and health conditions. The county agrees on those categories. But the private pharmacies and grocery stores which are administering the shots are mostly only recognizing a couple of those categories, not all of them. The county itself is only administering shots to a couple of categories, while agreeing that others are technically eligible.

Only one pharmacy chain is offering the shots to everyone who is eligible now. Their appointments go fast.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm not a runner, and I could stand to lose 10 pounds, lol. I won't complain if that means I'm eligible! 😛 

Right, ds1 is a bodybuilder and his BMI puts him at obese even though it's all muscle.  He'd be happy to get the shot before he's eligible for his age!  

• Like 3

Just now, Spryte said:

Oh man, you guys are really making me wish I could blame my BMI on muscle.

Alas ... no.  It’s that pesky last ten pounds that I can’t seem to lose!

Don't worry. I can't, either 😛. I have less muscle now than when we had a life than involved going outside 😉 . I weighed about the same amount, but I used to carry DD4 on my back all around Manhattan, which was actually pretty good exercise 😄 . Now I just... lie around. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Nice!! How are you feeling? 

Fine, so far.  I was a little concerned, since my immune system is hyped up right now with pollen and younger kid has a stomach bug, but at least so far, no real effects other than a slightly sore arm.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

Fine, so far.  I was a little concerned, since my immune system is hyped up right now with pollen and younger kid has a stomach bug, but at least so far, no real effects other than a slightly sore arm.  

Good to hear your ok so far.

D%*# norovirus. It got me a couple of weeks ago. Only norovirus could survive all of our social distancing etc. Alcohol based sanitizers don’t kill norovirus, so it has free reign. I’m still not right after 2 weeks. 

MRNA vaccine for norovirus?? I’m in !

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 6

On 3/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, SKL said:

Another question:  for those who had a choice in what shot to get, what were your reasons for choosing the one you chose?

Most of us in our family have gotten the Pfizer - on purpose. I knew I wanted Moderna or Pfizer simply because they've been out there in the world a little longer than the J&J, so I felt safer. Still have one kid who needs a first shot, but she's in another state right now and that state is moving at a snail's pace. So frustrating. By the time she comes home from school, the rest of us will be like 6 weeks post-second-vaccination!! 😕 I'm hoping the Pfizer will still be easy to attain at that time and that the pods won't have transferred all their energy to J&J.

One kid received the Moderna #1. She had more immediate arm pain than any of the rest of us did with the Pfizer #1. But it seemed to go away on the same timeline as the Pfizer.

SO GLAD TO BE HALFWAY VACCINATED! We've all cleared our schedules for a day or two following our secondary vaccination just in case we feel crappy. But, we're hopeful we won't - of course! lol

• Like 4

After an uneventful first shot I’ll admit I’m nervous about the side effects I am hearing about on the second. Has anyone read or heard about anything to possibly mitigate the side effects?  I believe we aren’t supposed to take Tylenol before but it was recommended for after for us if we needed it (we had Moderna). I tried to make sure I was well hydrated before the first and I’ll do that again. A couple people in FB posted about drinking Pedialyte before and maybe eating carbs? I tend not to listen to random suggestions and I’m not sure where they got their info. But the posters here are so smart 🙂 Anyone have any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

After an uneventful first shot I’ll admit I’m nervous about the side effects I am hearing about on the second. Has anyone read or heard about anything to possibly mitigate the side effects?  I believe we aren’t supposed to take Tylenol before but it was recommended for after for us if we needed it (we had Moderna). I tried to make sure I was well hydrated before the first and I’ll do that again. A couple people in FB posted about drinking Pedialyte before and maybe eating carbs? I tend not to listen to random suggestions and I’m not sure where they got their info. But the posters here are so smart 🙂 Anyone have any suggestions?

I am having my 2nd Pfizer today. The only effect I had last time was a barely sore arm but I'm really nervous about the effects of this one. 

16 hours ago, kokotg said:

My husband is almost solid muscle with a very physical job. He wears 32 x 32 pants, but his bmi is slightly over 25 according to his Kaiser chart, so I printed out the chart and the appointment info and told him to go get his fat ass vaccinated! Lol. I will say that no questions are being asked here. Newsom just wants shots in arms at this point, so if you want a vaccine and could use a sunny vacay, I've got your spot. 😉

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4