Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

We have a friend who is an ER doc who was vaccinated yesterday (in TN), and my cousin in Israel has an appointment to get vaccinated on Monday morning.  Israel is rolling out the Pfizer vaccine first to health care workers but the general public 60 and older can get inoculated as of Monday.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Have you been vaccinated?  Have your friends and/or family been vaccinated?  Tell us all about it! 

Hopefully over the coming months the balance of posts will shift from the personal covid experiences thread to this one.

A lot of my ER friends have gotten it.  They all said to take the next day off work.  Everyone has reported 24-48 hours of fatigue and body aches, several have had fevers.  The hospital is not mandating it, and it’s about  50% of the ED staff that have decided to get it. 

We’ll have it available in a few weeks but 75% of my coworkers are not going to get it according to the survey my boss did to see how much to ask for. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

So far it's only available for healthcare workers in our area. 

The wife of one of DH's coworkers was able to get it, as was a good friend of ours. Both reported it being just fine, no big deal, and as DH's coworker reported yesterday (semi tongue-in-cheek) "Wife got it, and she's still alive!" (she had rec'd it 2 days prior). 🤣 

In all seriousness, they both said it was fine. 

Our youngest won't be old enough for it until Feb (it's not approved for under 16), and we'd semi like to wait until a non-Pfizer one, but as we're not eligible yet anyway, I think by the time we are, we'll be ready to take it. 

• Like 3

I don't even think any doses have been delivered to my county yet. As of an article a few days ago, our hospitals were still waiting for any kind of notification when they might expect it. I'm hoping my first responder stepson and his nurse wife will be at the front of the line when it does get here. I did that online thing where you can see where you are in line and he's pretty far behind her. She doesn't actually have contact with patients in her current job so I think in reality he'll get it before she does.

As for me, dh, and ds23, I'm not expecting it to be available to us until at least April but probably later. I thought maybe because dh and I are older we'd be at the front of the "everyone else" line but apparently our good health cancels out our ages (not that I'm complaining about being in good health of course). 

• Like 1

They started this week here in CA, health care workers only I believe.  I don't know anyone who has had it yet, but my friends who work in medicine are planning to accept it.  I do have a friend whose nephew is a doctor in New York State and had his first dose this week.  

I have to say, people are getting so sloppy here.  It's alarming.  I only go to the grocery store when the parking lot is pretty empty, but there is a real lack of social distancing inside the store despite it being not that crowded.  Not like a few months back.  We have experienced a BIG surge in cases and hospitalizations in the last few weeks, so it's disheartening to see people letting up on being careful.  I am staying home or ALONG in my large office suite almost all the time.  I have a reservation to go to church on Sunday, outdoor service, very distanced, and am even debating that.  I will probably go and leave quickly afterwards.  We wear masks except when actually up at the altar (household by household) for Communion, and are seated by family group, usually at least 10 feet apart, and again, outside, so it's pretty reasonable.  But the numbers are alarming.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Dd is a nurse in TN and gets the first dose Sunday and the second on Jan. 10th. She has been having to work in Covid units, so we are probably waiting on our family Christmas with her until after the second dose. 

See I wondered if they would test people for antibodies before vaccinating. With high exposure, is it possible she had it assymptomatically? Or are they saying to get it even if the people have had the virus?

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

See I wondered if they would test people for antibodies before vaccinating. With high exposure, is it possible she had it assymptomatically? Or are they saying to get it even if the people have had the virus?

Yes, people who have had the virus still need the shot. Natural immunity is not guaranteed to provide long lasting immunity. This is a post that explains why:  Do I need a Covid Shot if I've already had Covid?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PeterPan said:

They are not testing beforehand.

Her area was relatively low in cases until recently. She only started working with Covid patients in the last two weeks. She works on a cardiac floor, but they have had so many cases they are putting them on regular floors now. 

• Thanks 1

I have a close friend who is a nurse and she received the vaccine on Thursday. On Friday, she texted me that was pretty achy the following day, but feeling okay. 
I know of several other healthcare worker “friends” on Facebook who received the vaccine on Thursday as well, and they are all reporting good results so far. 

ETA - I just checked in with my nurse friend who received the vaccine two days ago and she says she is back to normal today!! No aches or soreness. 

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 11

Another friend, a doctor, reported that she got her first dose this past week.  She works in a hospital but isn't in critical care, and she was originally told to expect her vaccination in February/March.  So this was a happy surprise!  She said that the extra doses from the Pfizer vials' 'overfill' are making a big difference.

• Like 9

Frontline workers are getting it here and they are supposed to get a rapid covid antigen test to make sure they don’t have it when they get a shot.   Idk if that everywhere here or just the few healthcare systems in which I know people.

I’ve heard sore arm that gets better by the next day multiple times and supertired a couple of times (all first doses, Pfizer).

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 4

On 12/18/2020 at 5:28 PM, PeterPan said:

They did for the studies but not for the vaccine roll out.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 5:21 PM, Dreamergal said:

I don't know how much my BIL had priority for the vaccine even if he is a doctor, but one of the reasons he was taking it was because many airlines are requiring vaccination it looks like to even board a flight internationally. So in all likelihood, the rest of the family living overseas may have to be vaccinated if we want to see our parents again. A lot of us in the family were apprehensive, so it is nice to see him go through the day without any issues. He is working and going about his normal day and so far no issues. We keep checking with him each day. 

I will honestly say it has taken away a lot of apprehension about the vaccine in my case. 

What airlines? I haven't seen any yet that are requiring it. 

We move in January internationally, and so far nothing I have seen has required it. Some countries are requiring testing and some aren't. 

My fear is we will be stuck waiting until there is enough vaccines available for us to visit family again. Or for us to move when we need to in several years again. 

I am a healthcare worker and I am scheduled to get mine on Thursday.  It was recommended that we get it when we are scheduled to have 1-2 days off work in case it makes us not feel well.  I hope it doesn't mess up Christmas but honestly, I really want nothing to do with Christmas this year so it might be better if I can sleep through it.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Today, day 2, I only have a sore arm. It may be a little more sore than the flu shot, but not much and seems to come and go. I had a headache yesterday afternoon, but I think it was coincidence as it was so soon after getting the vaccine. I’ve signed up on the CDC vaccine reporting site so hopefully they’ll get some good information on side effects with all of the people now getting vaccinated.

• Like 13

I’m encouraged to hear about so many people getting it. The number available seems so tiny so I’m encouraged to hear about regular folks having access. 

We don’t have many health care workers close to the family so I don’t know what is happening locally. Only one I know of is in FL. She is a nurse practitioner and does traveling wound care so probably good for her. She was a bit hesitant but has had no issues so far. 

The nurse at the surgeon's office today said she got it last week.  She said it was suggested but optional for their medical group.  She said her arm was sore and she felt a tad off the next day but nothing else.

I was surprised that they had them already last week as this is a small local hospital, not tied to a big city system.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ealp2009 said:

My husband got his this morning.  His arm is pretty sore and his partner was saying he has quite a headache but there is a lot of relief and joy that It’s available and his hospital got a whole lot of people vaxxed today.  

I had a headache the day I got mine, but it started so soon after I got the vaccination that I was pretty sure mine was psychosomatic. I’m 4 days out and no symptoms at all. I got the Pfizer one but my dh got the Moderna one yesterday. He has a sore arm and felt a bit under the weather last night but is fine this morning. 

• Like 5

I learned yesterday that Oregon will prioritize teachers (and anyone working in education--me, as an educational assistant) after healthcare workers. So hopefully it will be my turn sooner rather than later. I had been thinking March or April, but maybe it will be February? I think the hard part is just getting enough vaccine here. I found a dashboard for our state and we now have 10,407 people vaccinated with the first dose (it's healthcare workers and people living in long-term care facilities right now).

• Like 6

My husband, a HCW, got his earlier this week. A bit of being in the right place at the right time at his hospital with an extra dose suddenly available and needing to be used and others turning it down. They are most concerned about side effects after the second dose, so are scheduling everyone for it when they have at least two days off afterwards. His arm hurt after the first dose, but that was about it.

• Like 5