Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

41 minutes ago, math teacher said:

I had my first dose of Moderna Wednesday afternoon. I didn't even feel the shot. By evening, my arm was a little sore. By 11:15 Thursday, I was feeling bad enough that I didn't eat lunch. My temp kept going up, and by the time I left school, it was 101.5 ish. I called off today, but I feel much better. I could have probably gone in, but I wasn't sure. The poor sub has to deal with the Valentine's party. 

I'm thinking you had Covid, right? This was the experience of the teacher I work with who had Covid around Thanksgiving. Maybe there's some truth to what people are saying about the first shot being worse for those who have had Covid and the second shot is worse for those who haven't. I think my coworker (lots of coworkers actually as OR is vaccinating all educators) gets the second shot next week or the week after. We'll see how everyone does then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

I'm thinking you had Covid, right? This was the experience of the teacher I work with who had Covid around Thanksgiving. Maybe there's some truth to what people are saying about the first shot being worse for those who have had Covid and the second shot is worse for those who haven't. I think my coworker (lots of coworkers actually as OR is vaccinating all educators) gets the second shot next week or the week after. We'll see how everyone does then.

Yes-I did have Covid.

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

thinking you had Covid, right? This was the experience of the teacher I work with who had Covid around Thanksgiving. Maybe there's some truth to what people are saying about the first shot being worse for those who have had Covid and the second shot is worse for those who haven't. 

My brother had the same experience, having had Covid a few months ago, and then a strong immune response to the first Moderna shot. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, Starr said:

Thanks for the encouragement.💗 I could really do without the chills. 

Second covid shot. 24 hours of fever, headache, aches and miserable chills. And they only want you to take tylenol. Today I'm not feeling super and being a slug. I could manage more if I had a job or little kids. It was weird, having those symptoms of misery without feeling an underlying flu or something. I can't imagine what folks with covid go through. I recommend  the vaccine.

Just now, Starr said:

Second covid shot. 24 hours of fever, headache, aches and miserable chills. And they only want you to take tylenol. Today I'm not feeling super and being a slug. I could manage more if I had a job or little kids. It was weird, having those symptoms of misery without feeling an underlying flu or something. I can't imagine what folks with covid go through. I recommend  the vaccine.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:36 AM, Ali in OR said:

Yes, this sounds like my day Saturday. Tomorrow should be a lot better.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:36 AM, Ali in OR said:

Yes, this sounds like my day Saturday. Tomorrow should be a lot better.

We got our second Pfizer yesterday afternoon.

Dd25 has had nothing.

Ds33 has had an upset stomach and a bit of yuck.

I felt fine until about 11 this morning, even went snowshoeing, then I got a slight headache.  I did take a med for it as I was heading to an ice sculpture exhibit with a friend and then another snow shoe trip.

After that I have been fine.  I can't say the headache was due to the 2nd shot or not....or if it would have gotten worse without meds.   

• Like 4

So I am wondering if taking elderberry as one would normally do during flu season would help to reduce symptoms, you know, take it a few days before and after.  Has anyone heard suggestions about doing this?  I normally take elderberry when I feel a bug coming on and it helps immensely.  

I don't think there have been any Oxford AstraZenica reports on this thread. The second of my brothers had his first jab today. His only symptom so far is a sore arm. His callback is in twelve weeks,  which has been shown to be a better gap for increased immunity with this vaccine. 

• Like 7

My husband got his first shot of Moderna last week.  

His arm was sore the first and second day.  No other side effects for him.

My mom and step-dad had their second shot of Moderna about two weeks ago and had no side effects.  My step-dad’s arm had been sore after the first shot.  

• Like 7

On 2/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, Laura Corin said:

I don't think there have been any Oxford AstraZenica reports on this thread. The second of my brothers had his first jab today. His only symptom so far is a sore arm. His callback is in twelve weeks,  which has been shown to be a better gap for increased immunity with this vaccine. 

Update - my brother had flu-like symptoms for 24 hours but is fine now.

• Like 5

Ds 23 got his second Pfizer dose Saturday morning. He was fine until around 5pm when he just couldn't stay awake and took a 3 hour nap. When he woke up he said his arm was extremely sore, especially if he tried to lift it. He went to bed a few hours later and Sunday he slept until 2pm. After that he was fine, and he didn't have any other side effects but said from Sat. evening until he woke up Sun. afternoon he just felt like he had no energy whatsoever. 

• Like 6

Got my first shot last Wednesday. Because I work in a special Jewish community organization with close contact with people who are unmasked for a couple of minutes we got glommed into the congregate care group. I luckily set up the appointment right before the Commonwealth (MA) opened up to the next tier of people (65+ and any people with two serious risk factors) or I'd be waiting weeks. Got the Pfizer vaccine and had nothing but a slightly sore arm. My DH the week before got his second shot (Pfizer also). He had nothing but a mildly sore arm. My mother just get her second shot today after it was delayed by last week's ice storm. We had to schedule around her chemo treatment. Hopefully no side effects. Now all the parents are fully vaccinated!

• Like 9

My husband got his second shot on Thursday. He started with a headache, sore throat, and sore arm on the way home from work. They did it on the clock, watched them for 30 minutes and then sent him home. Luckily it was scheduled before his days off. All weekend he had a bad headache, vomiting, diarrhea for about a day, body aches, and fatigue. He has a moderate cough now.

My mom got her second shot on Monday and she felt pretty sick for days. Sore arm, tired. Again with he elephant sitting on her chest like last time. She did report that side effect.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Thanks 2

Dd26 had her first Pfizer shot (teacher in CA). She is also a professional ballerina, so she rehearsed for five hours after the shot on Friday with no problem and had just a little soreness at the injection site. She woke up on Saturday thinking she was fine...until she stood up. She ran a low grade fever all that day. She was very tired on Sunday and Monday and then back to normal on Tuesday.

• Like 4

I have a family member who had the first vaccine 10 days ago (Moderna) and lost their taste and smell just a few days ago. Covid test was negative and they feel fine otherwise. They were told they can return to work, as a teacher, and to report it as possible side effect.

1 hour ago, Joker2 said:

I have a family member who had the first vaccine 10 days ago (Moderna) and lost their taste and smell just a few days ago. Covid test was negative and they feel fine otherwise. They were told they can return to work, as a teacher, and to report it as possible side effect.

I hope the loss of taste and smell resolves quickly for your family member! Please keep us posted.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Joker2 said:

They might want to either get another PCR test, or at least get an antigen test that looks for antibodies to the N protein before the second dose is due, so they know for sure if they have/had covid. If it turns out they currently have it, then the second shot may be contraindicated.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 6

What have people seen for side effects from the very elderly?

So far, DH has had 2 doses of Pfizer, I've had one of Moderna, and my GFIL has had 1 of Pfizer.  No one had more than a sore arm and some fatigue.

But my almost 93 year old Great-Aunt-In-Law (how's that for a relationship?) has her second dose of Moderna tomorrow afternoon.  I'm wondering what we should expect.  She's cognitively solid, but pretty physically frail.  

10 minutes ago, Plum said:

This is the sort of thing that has me wondering how it effects people with long covid. Or if it [the reactions] somehow mimics what your illness would be. Just thinking this out loud, after hearing some stories but that is weird. Are they going to test them again?

It's odd. I thought the loss of smell and taste wasn't supposed to be an immune reaction, but of course we don't know anywhere near everything about COVID, and maybe it is partially immune reaction. 

2 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Yikes, that's quite odd.  Please do keep us posted.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

What have people seen for side effects from the very elderly?

So far, DH has had 2 doses of Pfizer, I've had one of Moderna, and my GFIL has had 1 of Pfizer.  No one had more than a sore arm and some fatigue.

But my almost 93 year old Great-Aunt-In-Law (how's that for a relationship?) has her second dose of Moderna tomorrow afternoon.  I'm wondering what we should expect.  She's cognitively solid, but pretty physically frail.  

I recall reading that the elderly phase 3 participants in one of the vaccine trials had notably milder side effects than did the younger age cohorts, but I don't recall which vaccine it was.  The theory was that immune response in the elderly is more muted.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I recall reading that the elderly phase 3 participants in one of the vaccine trials had notably milder side effects than did the younger age cohorts, but I don't recall which vaccine it was.  The theory was that immune response in the elderly is more muted.  

I remember seeing that as well. I also don't remember for which one, though. 

22 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

My husband got his second shot on Thursday. He started with a headache, sore throat, and sore arm on the way home from work. They did it on the clock, watched them for 30 minutes and then sent him home. Luckily it was scheduled before his days off. All weekend he had a bad headache, vomiting, diarrhea for about a day, body aches, and fatigue. He has a moderate cough now.

My mom got her second shot on Monday and she felt pretty sick for days. Sore arm, tired. Again with he elephant sitting on her chest like last time. She did report that side effect.

My husband went to the dr today because his chest felt congested and his cough was worse. Dr. said bronchitis and gave him a z-pack. We’re in California, though, so maybe new strain? Or bronchitis. Who knows? Lol Could still be side effects from vaccine? 

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Sad 4

Just now, AbcdeDooDah said:

My husband went to the dr today because his chest felt congested and his cough was worse. Dr. said bronchitis and gave him a z-pack. We’re in California, though, so maybe new strain? Or bronchitis. Who knows? Lol

All the new strain information is not making me happy 😕 . We're giving this virus way too many chances to mutate. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

On an encouraging note, the site where I was vaccinated had plenty of medical help if you had a reaction. The injections were given by nurses and EMTs, there was an area set up with EMTs for emergency care, folks walked around the post shot waiting area checking on people and you had to check out to leave. We are a smaller site so it was perhaps easier to see than in some other places.

• Like 3

Talked to my mother today (forgot to check-in until too late yesterday 😟). Yesterday she had diarrhea, arm pain, a bad cough, and a fever. She took tylenol and benadryl and went to bed early. She said she's feeling better today but that cough sounds rough. I'm going to give her the rest of the day and then check in again. If not better, I'm going to let her doctor know. She's scheduled for chemo on Thursday.

• Sad 4

A after-vaccine funny (or at least I thought so):  After getting his vaccine, dh was ushered to another room with lots of socially distanced chairs to wait.  He said to the usher, "Do we get popcorn and a movie?"  She replied, "We have the movie but you have to provide your own popcorn."  Dh hadn't seen the big screen with a cartoon on it yet.  It was an enjoyable wait for a reaction (which he didn't have). 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, kand said:

Did the Dr run a Covid test? Cough and congestion are not typical vaccine side effects. 

From Yale Health:

When You Might Need to be Tested for COVID-19 Infection

While some of the common side effects are similar to symptoms of  COVID-19, the following symptoms suggest COVID-19 infection and are not caused by the vaccine. If you experience any of these symptoms:
  • New loss of smell or taste
  • Cough or shortness of breath
  • Congestion/sore throat/runny nose/conjunctivitis (red eye)
  • Nausea/vomiting or diarrhea that develops after 72 hours

He went to an urgent care. I encouraged him to get tested but don't think he will. 

He called in to work today and is in bed. Says he feels miserable. 

I need to double check but I thought I saw that the California strain is most prevalent here right now. 

Edited by AbcdeDooDah

49 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

He went to an urgent care. I encouraged him to get tested but don't think he will. 

He called in to work today and is in bed. Says he feels miserable. 

I need to double check but I thought I saw that the California strain is most prevalent here right now. 

Here pollen is in full effect right now - lots of allergies with secondary sinus and bronchitis stuff. Could that be it?

51 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Here pollen is in full effect right now - lots of allergies with secondary sinus and bronchitis stuff. Could that be it?

He's not affected by allergy stuff(lucky!). He has had bronchitis a few times in the last several years; he's pretty sure it's that. We'll see if the abx work. If not, maybe he'll get tested.

10 minutes ago, kand said:

Bronchitis is a condition caused by something else, usually a virus. So, you could have bronchitis caused by the flu, a cold or Covid. It’s like pneumonia that way. 

Yep, but try telling that to him. lol

Testing is abundant here. Can pretty much walk-in at many of the test sites. Just have to get him to do it.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah

My mom (84) got her second dose of Moderna yesterday and has a sore arm and a slight headache today.  Eta: Mom ended up with flu-like symptoms the day after her second shot, but was fine by the second day. 

I am scheduled to get my first shot tomorrow. Not sure which one. 

Eta: I received the Moderna vax. The health dept was super efficient - I didn't even have to get out of my car. 5 minutes waiting, 3minutes to give info, sign consent, and get the shot. 20 minutes to wait in case of reaction. Then off to get coffee and head home on a lovely, warm, sunny day. I have never been so happy to have a sore arm. So far, 7 hr post shot, that is my only symptom. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 8

Ds and I had our first Pfizer yesterday. So far I only have a very slightly sore arm (less sore than from a flu shot). 

Ds says his arm is very sore and he feels a bit achy. He had COVID at the end of Sep/beginning of October so I expected he might have a worst time of it.

My arm has felt a bit more sore as the day goes but still not as sore as the from the flu shot. I feel nothing otherwise.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

@Starr Did your mom ever get vaccinated?

I haven't been able to find open appointments at the drive through or smaller places that she can manage yet. My sister is starting to hear about friends who have been vaccinated though and she's going to see how they went about it.  My mother also has a health care contact that says she can get her an appointment but Mom is  being very difficult about arranging that. My superpower of nabbing cancelation appointments for others seems to be limited to New York. 

• Like 2

I’ve had two reports from friend of friends who had long Covid that their symptoms disappeared within 24 hours of their first vaccine.  I hope that lasts and happens for more people.

It also suggests possibilities for other post-viral illnesses.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

My son said he felt like he had a cold yesterday afternoon and felt slightly feverish (of course my thermometer needs a new battery). He went to sleep after school and only got up for a bit then back to sleep. I've not woke him yet today to see how he feels. If he is still feeling tired I'm going to have him stay home today.

eta: Son says he feels the same today. Lots of fatigue, he says he has some aches too.

I feel entirely normal, my slightly sore arm is not sore at all today.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 10:55 PM, Ali in OR said:

Yeah, both dd and I couldn't tell if our little almost headaches were from the vaccine or if we just needed more water. Water helped. So did not moving my head.

Our staff got the first Moderna Wed and almost everyone had worst than flu shot arm soreness. I had a headache all the next morning but it subsided by afternoon. My neck still feels stiff but not sure if it's related.I hydrated well before and after.

Some were reporting fatigue...I'm always tired this year so I couldn't tell you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

My son said he felt like he had a cold yesterday afternoon and felt slightly feverish (of course my thermometer needs a new battery). He went to sleep after school and only got up for a bit then back to sleep. I've not woke him yet today to see how he feels. If he is still feeling tired I'm going to have him stay home today.

eta: Son says he feels the same today. Lots of fatigue, he says he has some aches too.

I feel entirely normal, my slightly sore arm is not sore at all today.

I hope he feels better soon!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Danae said:

I’ve had two reports from friend of friends who had long Covid that their symptoms disappeared within 24 hours of their first vaccine.  I hope that lasts and happens for more people.

It also suggests possibilities for other post-viral illnesses.

Oh, that is SO hopeful. So now we’ve heard reports of both negative and positive reaction post-vaccine... I hope this gets studied more. Fascinating.

• Like 3

Ds has slept almost 19 hours.  He was up last night for a bite around 10-15 minutes and  I've woken him twice today to check on him and he went right back to sleep. He is my kid that always sleeps a ton when sick big generally has few other symptoms. I thought he'd have a rougher time since he's had it before but not to this degree. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Soror said:

Ds has slept almost 19 hours.  He was up last night for a bite around 10-15 minutes and  I've woken him twice today to check on him and he went right back to sleep. He is my kid that always sleeps a ton when sick big generally has few other symptoms. I thought he'd have a rougher time since he's had it before but not to this degree. 

Yikes. I hope he sleeps it off.