Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Dh gets his first Pfizer today!

My DH gets his first Moderna today.  I am so nervous for him since he tends to have bad reactions from vaccines.  He's absolutely dreading it.  Hopefully, it will all go smoothly.  

Good luck to everyone!  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have my second Moderna a week from today and I am so nervous. I keep telling myself not to open this thread because I think it is making my anxiety worse. But I can’t help myself!

I'm nervous about my 2nd dose, too.  Mine is a week after yours.  

Don't panic folks. Most people do not get a miserable reaction. I did for one day and wow it was worth it. I really don't want the real thing! I just heard from neighbors who received their second shot yesterday and they slept 12 hours last night. That was it. It's going to be okay. Hugs to all of you .

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

My DH gets his first Moderna today.  I am so nervous for him since he tends to have bad reactions from vaccines.  He's absolutely dreading it.  Hopefully, it will all go smoothly.  

Good luck to everyone!  

My son is the one in our family that reacts to vaccines, and he had less reaction than anyone from the Covid vaccine!

• Like 6

On 3/31/2021 at 12:40 AM, Not_a_Number said:

And I seem to have a Sunday appointment in... Staten Island? Ok, then. I’ll take it, I suppose! I might try again tomorrow and see if I can get something a bit closer to our apartment!

And I tried to get a different appointment, rushing through everything and getting an appointment nearby... and then realizing at the end that I got a Monday appointment instead of the Sunday one I wanted 🙄.

So Staten Island it is 😛 . 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

And I tried to get a different appointment, rushing through everything and getting an appointment nearby... and then realizing at the end that I got a Monday appointment instead of the Sunday one I wanted 🙄.

I hope they make it easy to cancel the Monday appointment!

Our county site makes it easy to make appointments online but to cancel you have to call and it takes many attempts to get through.

• Like 1

Just now, maize said:

I hope they make it easy to cancel the Monday appointment!

Our county site makes it easy to make appointments online but to cancel you have to call and it takes many attempts to get through.

It's just a CVS appointment, so it's easy enough. I was afraid it'd automatically cancel the earlier one if I made a new one, but their site isn't fancy enough for that, lol. So I cancelled it already. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

Good luck to everyone!  

Good luck to him too!

• Like 1

My sister, who has a shellfish allergy, just got her first Pfizer shot and had an itchy throat and inner ears after. They kept her for an extra 15 minutes, after which she said it reduced to a mild sore throat and lower voice, so they let her go. Yes, she has an Epipen and is consulting primary care. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I had to go all the way to Middleton for dd's vaccination.  I half envious of those who can easily find a site (looking at you ds in western NY) and half happy that vaccines are so popular that there are no appts super close.  So, an hours drive for dd, half an hour for me.  I spent Tuesday driving through 3 counties to get vaccines. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, freesia said:

I had to go all the way to Middleton for dd's vaccination.  I half envious of those who can easily find a site (looking at you ds in western NY) and half happy that vaccines are so popular that there are no appts super close.  So, an hours drive for dd, half an hour for me.  I spent Tuesday driving through 3 counties to get vaccines. 

Yeah, it's going to be 45 minutes from our apartment for us. And of course, we're currently based in Boston anyway, although we like going back every month or so to pick up stuff/drop off stuff (ooh, I should drop off our winter gear!) and make sure our apartment hasn't exploded or filled with cockroaches 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Starr said:

Don't panic folks. Most people do not get a miserable reaction.

This is my feeling as well.

I am VERY excited for my second dose which is Tuesday (Pfizer).  Husband's second dose is next Friday (Moderna).  Another 2 weeks for teen's second Pfizer.  I am counting them all down and can't wait.  Both of them are also excited.  No nerves here at all!

• Like 5

DH got his first shot this morning—the closest available was about an hour away. So far he feels okay, just a slight headache. He did report he didn’t feel the shot at all.

Maine just expedited vaccine eligibility (again!) so now DS and I are eligible starting next week. We cannot wait! I’m willing to drive anywhere they are available. I finally, finally feel some hope returning for the summer and the possibility of accompanying him to Europe for university in the fall.

On the opposite coast, in Northern California, my brother was able to make an appointment and get his first shot a couple hours later. 👏👏👏

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DH got his first shot this morning—the closest available was about an hour away. So far he feels okay, just a slight headache. He did report he didn’t feel the shot at all.

Maine just expedited vaccine eligibility (again!) so now DS and I are eligible starting next week. We cannot wait! I’m willing to drive anywhere they are available. I finally, finally feel some hope returning for the summer and the possibility of accompanying him to Europe for university in the fall.

On the opposite coast, in Northern California, my brother was able to make an appointment and get his first shot a couple hours later. 👏👏👏

Holy cow!!!! I read that a lot of appointments were going unused 😕  which is not encouraging, but very happy for everyone who wants a vaccine!!!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Holy cow!!!! I read that a lot of appointments were going unused 😕  which is not encouraging, but very happy for everyone who wants a vaccine!!!

Maine is actually doing exceptionally well, both in number of vaccines given and percentage of population already vaccinated/in process of being. Governor Mills gave an encouraging press release today. Something like 20,000 shots were administered yesterday—in our teeny tiny little state! 👏👏👏

I did read a good tip for people looking for vaccinations to check out availability in red counties where more are going unused. I’ll happily drive to Bangor or wherever if it means not waiting. 😎

• Like 6

I only have a really sore arm 24 hours after my first dose. I think I was way more nervous about it than I anticipated (I wasn’t expecting to be nervous at all!). 

FTR, Indiana removed the residency requirement yesterday so if anyone is having trouble finding a spot in a neighboring state you can look here. It’s open to all 16 and over.

• Like 11

Longtime lurker here. I haven't seen too many personal accounts of receiving the J&J shot here so I thought I'd share mine as thanks for all the Covid information I've gotten here and found so useful over the last year.

I have terrible medical anxiety so I specifically sought out the J&J due to the "one and done" factor. I received the shot Tuesday afternoon. I ended up leaving the recovery chair area after a minute or two, because I knew if I continued sitting in there I would pass out. I finished out my recovery period in the car, laying down, AC blasting, and I was fine. By evening I was definitely feeling more tired than normal and headed off to bed a little early. The next day (yesterday) I woke up feeling like I was at the tail end of the flu. Headache, muscles and joint aching, no appetite. I spent most of the day in bed alternately reading and napping. By 8pm my fever had broken and I could tell the corner had been turned. Today I feel absolutely fine and grateful to be fully vaccinated.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Maine is actually doing exceptionally well, both in number of vaccines given and percentage of population already vaccinated/in process of being. Governor Mills gave an encouraging press release today. Something like 20,000 shots were administered yesterday—in our teeny tiny little state! 👏👏👏

I did read a good tip for people looking for vaccinations to check out availability in red counties where more are going unused. I’ll happily drive to Bangor or wherever if it means not waiting. 😎

Yay Maine!! Yes to driving to get the shot. Definitely!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

FTR, Indiana removed the residency requirement yesterday so if anyone is having trouble finding a spot in a neighboring state you can look here. It’s open to all 16 and over.

Is this because so few people are getting vaccinated in the state? Or...? 

Glad they are getting shots in the arms of people who want them, at any rate! 

• Like 2

DH, DS and I all got our first shots of the Pfizer yesterday. DS had a major reaction not to the vaccine proper but the administration (there was blood, he freaked out, threw up, felt faint). He’s fine now though. Other than mildly sore arms no side effects 24 hours post. 
I didn’t want to take the vaccine and definitely didn’t want my DS to take it but we are all traveling soon so I sort of went along. ETA we are in New York. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

Dh got his Johnson vaccine at Kaiser. I don’t think they offered a choice, but he was happy to get any vaccine. He qualified under a pre-existing condition.

ETA: Kaiser warned of soreness 2-4 hours after injection, but so far, nothing yet.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

DH, DS and I all got our first shots of the Pfizer yesterday. DS had a major reaction not to the vaccine proper but the administration (there was blood, he freaked out, threw up, felt faint). He’s fine now though. Other than mildly sore arms no side effects 24 hours post. 
I didn’t want to take the vaccine and definitely didn’t want my DS to take it but we are all traveling soon so I sort of went along. ETA we are in New York. 

I’m so sorry for your son. That must have been scary. I’m confused about the blood though? Was it from someone’s shot? 

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I don’t think so but not sure. I know we were only able to schedule dc this week and got appointments for the end of the month so they were already booked for several weeks. I looked it up and saw that just over 20 states seem to not have a residency requirement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

It was from the shot, in his arm. I was also surprised. Maybe because he’s so skinny? Apparently it happens.

My daughter bled a good bit with her first dose. She’s average build—not stick skinny. 

I’m surprised she didn’t have a similar reaction. She hates needles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I got the first round of the Moderna yesterday.  We both felt a bit headachy on and off and I felt tired enough to go to bed at a decent time last night.  Either of those things could be side effects or could just be from a busy week.  Slightly sore arm today, but nothing else. 

• Like 7

Dh had his first Pfizer yesterday afternoon. His only complaint was that his face felt hot. He didn't look red or have a fever. I've not talked to him yet today.

Eta. He has a slightly sore arm and his morning. Face feels fine. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Has anyone asked for a longer needle (because of the evidence that the obese need a longer needle to get to their muscle layer)?

Is this true if the obese person's upper arms are not where they are heavy???

Edited by mlktwins
Need more coffee...
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Soror said:

Dh had his first Pfizer yesterday afternoon. His only complaint was that his face felt hot. He didn't look red or have a fever. I've not talked to him yet today.

This happened to me for a couple seconds while in the 15 min observational period. I didn’t know if it was the vaccine or the delayed freak out over my son 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I had that both times! First time I did get a fever later, the second time I didn't. 

37 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Is this true if the obese person's upper arms are not where they are heavy???

No - it's just if they need a longer needle to get past he subcutaneous layer of fat into the muscle. 

• Like 2

DH had his first Moderna yesterday.  We were concerned since he always overreacts to vaccines.  He was fatigued in the afternoon (shot was in morning) and then had mild symptoms last night - light headache, chills, aches, and tired.  He slept and woke up feeling a lot better but still very tired.  We are relieved!  One down, one to go! 

• Like 4

DH and I got our first Moderna shots yesterday. Sore arm, that's it.

Tip for anyone in central/northern NC or southern VA: Halifax County, NC will vaccinate anyone over 18, no residency requirement. It's easy to get a mid-afternoon appointment, as those are the least popular.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

DH had his first Moderna yesterday.  We were concerned since he always overreacts to vaccines.  He was fatigued in the afternoon (shot was in morning) and then had mild symptoms last night - light headache, chills, aches, and tired.  He slept and woke up feeling a lot better but still very tired.  We are relieved!  One down, one to go! 

Thats how I was the first shot, and I had less than that the second 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 12:57 AM, popmom said:

I’m so sorry that happened! I’m glad you mentioned it because I saw a photo somewhere recently of someone who had just been vaccinated.  And MAN that band aid was SO high on his arm. It was really his shoulder. I’ve been paranoid ever since seeing that. I had a flu shot a few years ago that I think was given too high. I felt lucky that it missed my bursa sac. 

Where exactly is it supposed to be given? When my turn comes, I will be paying great attention to where the nurse swabs the alcohol. 

ETA: Oops, missed this one. I think someone mentioned this on the boards before, and it often has to do with the person giving the shot standing and the person receiving the shot sitting. The two places I've been have had both the giver and receiver sitting. For other shots, if the giver is standing, the receiver is usually on an elevated exam table and sitting up. I had my covid shot at a pharmacy, and they did a great job--the person giving the shot had been doing it for weeks (he told me this after I complimented him for such a nice shot, and he thought it was odd to be complimented, lol, but I've had pharmacist shots that were competent but less than pleasant.) To be honest, I am not sure if he was a pharmacist, or if CVS hired people specifically to do shots.

18 hours ago, MEmama said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's to avoid waste in rural counties. There are some really rural counties next to really rural counties in bordering states. It might allow them to set up larger clinics to get more people vaccinated at once, and then they can let the pharmacies vaccinate the people who got missed. They might not have enough people for a bigger clinic without opening the borders in some areas. Just a guess.

18 hours ago, madteaparty said:

In all seriousness, no snark, thank you! 🙂 

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 5

DH got his second Pfizer vaccine on Tuesday.  It was administered by the same person who did his first vaccine.  He said he did not feel it the first time, but this time it HURT when she gave him the shot.  He said he hasn't had any side effects.

He is 70 years old had had to drive 175 miles round-trip each time to get the vaccine.  He had to leave our major city (and drive past the vaccination hub two blocks from our house!), to go to a small town to get an appointment.  Since the state has opened up availability to everyone, we thought that maybe he could find an appointment closer for the second dose, but no luck. That is really anoying. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Dh and I got our first Pfizer vaccines this afternoon. I also had my face feel hot for a bit, but I get that with flu vaccines as well....actually pretty much any medical procedure causes it for me, but I do have anxiety. Six hours later, we both have slightly sore arms but not worse than a typical flu shot. We’ll see how we’re feeling tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Final tally of second dose reactions:

Moderna:

me- BAD headache, fever, chills, muscle aches. Resolved after 36-48 hr. Felt off for a few more days. 
ds- sore arm for one day. Otherwise fine. 

pfizer:

dh: no reaction. Nada. 
dd: slept for 18 hours. Felt good enough to go to the beach the next day. 
ds: low grade fever for 36hr. He’s non-verbal so I don’t know how he specifically felt but I would say he didn’t look happy. We kept him on Tylenol until the 2nd day. Day 2 he woke up smiling. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3