Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

Good news! My mom saw her doctor yesterday, who said the dizziness was NOT a reason to delay getting the vaccine. They needed at least 6 people scheduled to open a vial of vaccine -- but since Texas just opened up yesterday to every adult eligible were able to easily make that and she got scheduled and is getting her 2nd shot today.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, ChickaDeeDeeDee said:

MIL called yesterday.  FIL had bad reaction after 2nd shot - would have been considered a Grade 3 reaction in a clinical trial.  Luckily no hospitalization needed.  Then FIL downplayed it all on his social media.  MIL was fine.  

Is he OK now? What happened?

• Like 2

I've debated myself over whether to post this or not. Today marks two weeks after my second Pfizer vaccine. Last Wednesday, Day 8, I started having some numbness and pain on my right side at my waistline and below. Day 12, I started having a rash, and yesterday was diagnosed with shingles. I thought it was interesting, as did my PA, who said that the stress of the immune response might have had something to do with it. I will be watching to see if there are increased numbers of cases of shingles (my PA said there have been some questions about this). Oh, I have had a shingles vaccine, but it was the old one, and was 8 years ago.

• Sad 11

6 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I've debated myself over whether to post this or not. Today marks two weeks after my second Pfizer vaccine. Last Wednesday, Day 8, I started having some numbness and pain on my right side at my waistline and below. Day 12, I started having a rash, and yesterday was diagnosed with shingles. I thought it was interesting, as did my PA, who said that the stress of the immune response might have had something to do with it. I will be watching to see if there are increased numbers of cases of shingles (my PA said there have been some questions about this). Oh, I have had a shingles vaccine, but it was the old one, and was 8 years ago.

On another board I belong to I've seen two similar reports of developing shingles a few days/a week or so after the second vaccine, although I don't recall if both were Pfizer or if one (or both) were Moderna. This interests me as I'm having to wait awhile to get the Covid vaccine because of my second Shingrix vaccine, which I had a few days ago. I hope to go ahead and get my first Covid shot right at two weeks (the minimum wait time), and I'm wondering how a recently-fully-vaccinated-for-shingles-person will respond. FWIW, the other board skews older. Most posters are in the 55-80 age range.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

So sorry this happened 😞 !  Just to clarify, this was the older single does shingles vaccine?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

So sorry this happened 😞 !  Just to clarify, this was the older single does shingles vaccine?

Thank you. Yes, they don't give it in the U.S. anymore. Zostavax. I didn't realize it was only supposed to last five years.

• Sad 1

I got my Moderna this morning.  It hurt going in and must have hit  a nerve or something bc I felt a zap over to my other arm.  Strange.  My arm is sore and I am pretty tired and thirsty.

Dd got her Pfizer at one of the National Guard places this afternoon.  It was a lot faster.  She said they were very friendly and chatty (the guardsmen.)  At first I said it was probably because they were bored and then I realized that, Oh!!!!!!!!! They'd been vaccinating mostly older people and here comes a bright young 18 year old through the door. LOL  Her arm is also sore and she is also thirsty.

I can't remember who wrote above about the thirst maybe being blood sugar related.  I tested mine and it was fine so I don't think that's the reason.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

On another board I belong to I've seen two similar reports of developing shingles a few days/a week or so after the second vaccine, although I don't recall if both were Pfizer or if one (or both) were Moderna. This interests me as I'm having to wait awhile to get the Covid vaccine because of my second Shingrix vaccine, which I had a few days ago. I hope to go ahead and get my first Covid shot right at two weeks (the minimum wait time), and I'm wondering how a recently-fully-vaccinated-for-shingles-person will respond. FWIW, the other board skews older. Most posters are in the 55-80 age range.

I knew someone had mentioned waiting because of the Shingrix vaccine, but I couldn't remember who it was! That was another reason I mentioned it. I'm in my early 60s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Ugh. That sucks, I'm sorry 😞 . 

• Thanks 1

FYI for @Jaybeeor anyone else who may be interested -- I went back and searched through the thread on the other board I belong to. The reports are of one female getting a mild case of shingles a few days after her first Pfizer shot, and of one male who got a bad case of them after the first Pfizer shot. My memory was wrong--in my previous post I said both cases were after the second shot, but they were both after the first.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

FYI for @Jaybeeor anyone else who may be interested -- I went back and searched through the thread on the other board I belong to. The reports are of one female getting a mild case of shingles a few days after her first Pfizer shot, and of one male who got a bad case of them after the first Pfizer shot. My memory was wrong--in my previous post I said both cases were after the second shot, but they were both after the first.

My case is mild so far, but I'm early days. My rash is not real big--just several small areas. The worst part is the pain on the inside. Not intolerable, but makes me tired and draggy. My PA did get me started on an antiviral yesterday, so hopefully that will help. It is supposed to be started within 48 hrs. of the rash's appearance, so I was in that window.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, freesia said:

I got my Moderna this morning.  It hurt going in and must have hit  a nerve or something bc I felt a zap over to my other arm.  Strange.  My arm is sore and I am pretty tired and thirsty.

Dd got her Pfizer at one of the National Guard places this afternoon.  It was a lot faster.  She said they were very friendly and chatty (the guardsmen.)  At first I said it was probably because they were bored and then I realized that, Oh!!!!!!!!! They'd been vaccinating mostly older people and here comes a bright young 18 year old through the door. LOL  Her arm is also sore and she is also thirsty.

I can't remember who wrote above about the thirst maybe being blood sugar related.  I tested mine and it was fine so I don't think that's the reason.

I don't know if this is what happened to you, but DH got his 1st shingles shot at Walgreens and the pharmacist put it in his bursa sac.  He is in pain 2 years later and even saw the orthopedist about it :-(.  

• Sad 10

3 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I don't know if this is what happened to you, but DH got his 1st shingles shot at Walgreens and the pharmacist put it in his bursa sac.  He is in pain 2 years later and even saw the orthopedist about it :-(.  

Eek!  I hope not. It doesn’t seem to be the right place for that. We’ll see. 

Dh got signed up at work. The local hospital is supposed to be doing a clinic there this week and they said they had enough shots for everyone that wants them. When dh signed up through the state's website he was placed in the last tier but his company was one that was open pretty much the entire time as a critical manufacturer so I would think he should be eligible now anyway as critical infastructure is on the list now. As it is the state is opening to everyone next week anyway. Once he gets it we'll just have the 3 kids. I'm hoping dd1 (turning 14 in a few weeks) can get one before school in August as I think it likely masks won't be required next fall.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

My case is mild so far, but I'm early days. My rash is not real big--just several small areas. The worst part is the pain on the inside. Not intolerable, but makes me tired and draggy. My PA did get me started on an antiviral yesterday, so hopefully that will help. It is supposed to be started within 48 hrs. of the rash's appearance, so I was in that window.

I hope your case remains mild and you are over it soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'd love to see actual stats on this one -- like, is the rate of shingles above the background rate. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I have got shingles at the moment. I had the Pfizer vaccine in December - 2nd shot was the 2nd week in January. I have wondered about it but have got plenty of stress to explain coming down with shingles. I would not be surprised at all if this is just the normal rate of shingles occurring at my age - I’m 57.

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

NY has opened things up for age 30+, which is an age group I'm in, whohoo. Now to actually find an appointment... 

And I seem to have a Sunday appointment in... Staten Island? Ok, then. I’ll take it, I suppose! I might try again tomorrow and see if I can get something a bit closer to our apartment!

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 11

RE: the vaccine possibly triggering shingles

Shingles is a herpes viruses, and we know that herpes viruses can be triggered by an immune response to other viruses — hence the name "cold sore" for oral herpes, since it's often triggered by a cold virus. Apparently one of the chemicals released by the immune system to fight off an acute infection can also block one of the chemicals that suppresses herpes viruses and keeps them dormant. So I wouldn't be surprised if a strong immune reaction to the vaccine could also have that effect.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

RE: the vaccine possibly triggering shingles

Shingles is a herpes viruses, and we know that herpes viruses can be triggered by an immune response to other viruses — hence the name "cold sore" for oral herpes, since it's often triggered by a cold virus. Apparently one of the chemicals released by the immune system to fight off an acute infection can also block one of the chemicals that suppresses herpes viruses and keeps them dormant. So I wouldn't be surprised if a strong immune reaction to the vaccine could also have that effect.

Yeah, as someone with cold sores, I’m also not surprised. I’d be curious to see it studied further, though.

5 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I’m so sorry that happened! I’m glad you mentioned it because I saw a photo somewhere recently of someone who had just been vaccinated.  And MAN that band aid was SO high on his arm. It was really his shoulder. I’ve been paranoid ever since seeing that. I had a flu shot a few years ago that I think was given too high. I felt lucky that it missed my bursa sac. 

Where exactly is it supposed to be given? When my turn comes, I will be paying great attention to where the nurse swabs the alcohol. 

On 3/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, Danae said:

Twenty-four hours past Moderna #2.  I’m cold.  This morning it was alternating cold and hot:  put fluffy sweater on, take fluffy sweater off, put fluffy sweater on, take fluffy sweater off.

Now I’m huddled under a down comforter and not planning on coming out anytime soon. 

This was me after the second Pfizer. Hot, cold, hot, cold, hot/cold! Lasted about 36 hours and then - poof! I felt normal again!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I knew someone had mentioned waiting because of the Shingrix vaccine, but I couldn't remember who it was! That was another reason I mentioned it. I'm in my early 60s.

I think that there have been a couple of us.  But I just got my second Shingrix vaccine.  I have been waiting three weeks, as instructed by the pharmacist, before going to sign up for my Covid shot.  (Part of my wait was because I wasn't eligible until now as well so it wasn't just due to the Shingrix but that was a big part of it.) 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, popmom said:

I’m so sorry that happened! I’m glad you mentioned it because I saw a photo somewhere recently of someone who had just been vaccinated.  And MAN that band aid was SO high on his arm. It was really his shoulder. I’ve been paranoid ever since seeing that. I had a flu shot a few years ago that I think was given too high. I felt lucky that it missed my bursa sac. 

Where exactly is it supposed to be given? When my turn comes, I will be paying great attention to where the nurse swabs the alcohol. 

Maybe wear a long sleeve shirt so you can only roll it up so high?

• Like 3

So, to follow up on DH, he's fine now. Had 2nd Phizer Monday at 1:30, was suddenly cold and exhausted around 6:30, got up after an hour and worked at his desk until 11:30 (but he says he shouldn't have - the work he did was crap, lol) and slept hard that night. Yesterday was tired in the morning, back to normal by the evening. So over it all in 24 hours about. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think that there have been a couple of us.  But I just got my second Shingrix vaccine.  I have been waiting three weeks, as instructed by the pharmacist, before going to sign up for my Covid shot.  (Part of my wait was because I wasn't eligible until now as well so it wasn't just due to the Shingrix but that was a big part of it.) 

I know you can't tell me what we should do, but knowing what you know, would you get the Pfizer vaccines for your 94 year old parents if they have not had the 2 dose Shingles vaccine? II have checked with their GP and both pharmacies they usually go to get flu shots and they have not had them.  And...would your opinion change if you knew that skilled nursing, PT, and a live in caregiver were all starting to be around them as of this week?  The people coming in so far have been vaccinated and my DH has said no one that isn't vaccinated will be allowed in, but I'm not really sure how all of this is going to work.

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I know you can't tell me what we should do, but knowing what you know, would you get the Pfizer vaccines for your 94 year old parents if they have not had the 2 dose Shingles vaccine? II have checked with their GP and both pharmacies they usually go to get flu shots and they have not had them.  And...would your opinion change if you knew that skilled nursing, PT, and a live in caregiver were all starting to be around them as of this week?  The people coming in so far have been vaccinated and my DH has said no one that isn't vaccinated will be allowed in, but I'm not really sure how all of this is going to work.

Of course, I'm not Jean, and can only tell you my thoughts. I was going to put something like this up today anyway. I am so glad to have had the covid vaccination(s). It's a relief off my mind. I had a rough night last night. I always thought the pain from shingles came from the blisters on the skin, but no, at least not for me. It feels like I got kicked in the front in the area of my right ovary, and kicked in the back just to the right of my spine at the waist (kidney area). The pain comes and goes somewhat, but I had a hard time sleeping last night from it. It makes me tired. There is also some mild itching, as well as irritation in the rash areas. The rash has not finished blistering up completely yet, and that may be another painful thing to deal with. I am still glad I went ahead and got the Pfizer vaccine. I know it is difficult to make that decision for someone else, though, especially an elderly person in their 90s, and especially because the Shingrix is two shots spaced out. So my perspective may not really be helpful to you. I will say that most people don't get shingles.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Of course, I'm not Jean, and can only tell you my thoughts. I was going to put something like this up today anyway. I am so glad to have had the covid vaccination(s). It's a relief off my mind. I had a rough night last night. I always thought the pain from shingles came from the blisters on the skin, but no, at least not for me. It feels like I got kicked in the front in the area of my right ovary, and kicked in the back just to the right of my spine at the waist (kidney area). The pain comes and goes somewhat, but I had a hard time sleeping last night from it. It makes me tired. There is also some mild itching, as well as irritation in the rash areas. The rash has not finished blistering up completely yet, and that may be another painful thing to deal with. I am still glad I went ahead and got the Pfizer vaccine. I know it is difficult to make that decision for someone else, though, especially an elderly person in their 90s, and especially because the Shingrix is two shots spaced out. So my perspective may not really be helpful to you. I will say that most people don't get shingles.

Thank you!  I appreciate your comments and I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.  I'm thankful me, DH, and my dad got the updated shingles vaccine in summer/fall 2019.  I kept telling his parents too, they were still getting around, but they did not.  

My feeling is that we should do the Covid vaccines first and then deal with the other one.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, TCB said:

I have got shingles at the moment. I had the Pfizer vaccine in December - 2nd shot was the 2nd week in January. I have wondered about it but have got plenty of stress to explain coming down with shingles. I would not be surprised at all if this is just the normal rate of shingles occurring at my age - I’m 57.

I had shingles last summer; I figured it was precipitated by general pandemic stress.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I had my second Pfizer shot on Monday around noon. Felt fine that day; right about noon on Tuesday I developed a low-grade fever and felt moderately lousy for the next six hours or so; I spent a couple of hours reading in bed and then took a hot bath. By evening the fever went down and I felt fine other than a bit of fatigue. Went to bed early and woke up feeling fine this morning. My arm is slightly sore and I still have a swollen lymph node.

I'm very grateful to be vaccinated and feel quite confident that my body will know how to put up a robust immune response should I come in contact with the virus.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

My understanding is that the first shingrix dose gives partial immunity from shingles so my feeling would be to go ahead with the Covid vaccine. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

DS19--in college in Minnesota--found an appointment for Tuesday at a Walmart! He spent all day yesterday (first day of expanded eligibility there) fretting and refreshing websites (no car, so he had to find something close enough for a bus or LYFT ride), and then he finally found one right when Walmart released appointments at midnight (or I guess it's 11 in MN--that's when he texted me). So he'll be about a week out from dose #2 by the time he needs to fly home, and all of us who CAN be vaccinated will be well before summer and our plans to go see my in-laws. 

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, kokotg said:

DS19--in college in Minnesota--found an appointment for Tuesday at a Walmart! He spent all day yesterday (first day of expanded eligibility there) fretting and refreshing websites (no car, so he had to find something close enough for a bus or LYFT ride), and then he finally found one right when Walmart released appointments at midnight (or I guess it's 11 in MN--that's when he texted me). So he'll be about a week out from dose #2 by the time he needs to fly home, and all of us who CAN be vaccinated will be well before summer and our plans to go see my in-laws. 

I’ve now had two students email me that they’ll be missing class to get the vaccine.  I’ve never been so pleased to get a “I won’t be in class on [date]” email.  I also have three students out on quarantine, which is not nearly as happy-making.

• Like 19

19 minutes ago, Danae said:

I’ve now had two students email me that they’ll be missing class to get the vaccine.  I’ve never been so pleased to get a “I won’t be in class on [date]” email.  I also have three students out on quarantine, which is not nearly as happy-making.

Quoting myself to add:  the college is trying to set up on-campus vaccination for students, faculty, and staff, but until that happens the official policy is “if you can get a vaccination appointment grab it, no matter what you have to cancel or miss.”

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, Danae said:

DS was explaining to me yesterday that he might have to take his classes pass/fail to ensure he had plenty of time to check websites to find an appointment. I think he was kidding, but I'm glad he found one fast so he can focus on other things!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just got my 2nd Pfizer this afternoon...got it at about 11:40. 

Feel a bit flushed. 

Got it in my dominant arm this time, planning an easy day. DH did the dishes this morning when I took DD4 to dentist, and DD11 will empty the dishwasher this evening. Stocked up on sandwich makings and bagged salad if I don't feel up to making dinner. Going to place a Shipt order in a minute for a few other items. 

I ended up with a fever and chills after the first shot, so anticipating a rough evening. Worth it though!

• Like 9

DH and I just got appts for Moderna in the morning! Hopefully all will be smooth - I’ll update when I can. I have vaccine  anxiety with just annual flu shots and I’m sweating from nerves, LOL. I have lots of strange food allergies and some medication allergies, so that adds to the nerves, too. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, maize said:

I had shingles last summer; I figured it was precipitated by general pandemic stress.

I had it last summer, too. I wondered if it was stress or my body fighting off a covid exposure. I thought I had poison ivy at first (and luckily also a cold sore). I have prescription for cold sores which apparently is the same stuff as what is prescribed for shingles. I'll make sure I refill my script b/f my second shot, just in case.

Well I can finally report 75 yo mom's fully vaccinated story, she is 5 days post 2nd vax.  She has RA and has been on methotrexate for many years.  She has other health problems that may or may not be related to that.  She also has hypothyroid.  She had the Pfizer.  She was booked through her own clinic which worked great for her.   She didn't have to hoop jump to get the appointment.  They contacted her when they had a spot for her.  She isn't super tech savvy and my brother and I didn't really have the time to do that for days and weeks.  

She took a nap and went to bed early after both shots but otherwise not a huge problem.  She said her arm was just a little sore and she just had a couple of relaxing days.  Yay!  She said the shingles vax was much worse.

• Like 15

My state just opened up to 18+ so I've been checking vaccinefinder.org but nothing. I signed up with my state & expected nothing since locals 50+ have been waiting for shots for a couple weeks. But my email came in the middle of the night. I'm signed up for Friday for Moderna. I'm very nervous, but ready. Pfizer was my preference but Moderna is all they are giving locally right now. I'll take it! I'll report back this weekend.

• Like 10

My city/county will open vax appts to everyone 16+ on Monday. 

My kids are not old enough, but I’m glad so many more people will be able to get it now. Sad that the reason for this step is that so many people are not getting vaccinated.

• Like 5

DH got his first Pfizer at the VA last week. DS18 and I just got our first Moderna (still on allergy watch, actually, 😂) and are already scheduled for our second shots. I am taking DD16 to get her first Pfizer later this afternoon. I am walking on air! Soooo happy and relieved. Now for shots to be approved for the under 16 crowd, for DS14.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 11

DH, my mother and I were all due for our second Pfizer shots today.  DH and my mom had theirs, while I spoke to staff.  They recommended I postpone by a week, so I’ll be going next week when DS gets his second shot, too.

DH was amazing, and wheeled my mom through the process.  She was a bit confused (dementia), and at one point was convinced she was going for jury duty, but he got her through the process, so yay!  Quickest jury duty ever!  🤣

So far, my mom feels fine.  DH is tired with a sore arm.

• Like 15