Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

10 minutes ago, Soror said:

I am having my 2nd Pfizer today. The only effect I had last time was a barely sore arm but I'm really nervous about the effects of this one. 

That's all I had for both of my Pfizer shots. Good luck today. đŸ™‚

• Like 3

THESE ARE THE CHARTS I WANT TO SEE IN THE US, PLEASE

On 3/9/2021 at 5:21 AM, Laura Corin said:

Woohoo! Husband - age group 60-64 - got his Scottish blue envelope inviting him for his first jab on Saturday.

Meanwhile the cohort uptake of vaccination is looking pretty good.

Screenshot_20210309-101044_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210309-102000_Chrome.jpg

On 3/15/2021 at 5:03 AM, Laura Corin said:

Husband is fine this morning apart from a slightly sore arm, so that's one day of exhaustion and aches. 

They start sending out Blue Envelopes to my age cohort (without underlying conditions) from today, so I'll be watching for the postie.  This is the vaccination status now:

image.thumb.png.fd2af7d95319ee426c8b467765f7ca7b.png

(K that's all)

On friends' and families' experience with the three vaccines:

Octogenarians FIL, his wife, and my mother have all had 2 doses of Pfizer.  Several moderately sore arms; nothing more.

A great number of local friends have had 1 dose of Pfizer; sore arms only.

Octogenarian aunt and uncle have had 2 doses of Moderna. My uncle was knocked out for a day after second dose; aunt was wholly unaffected.

Husband and I and a great number of local friends have had 1 dose of Moderna. Husband & handful others had sore arm.  I had nothing.  I'm anemic and a generation ago went through multiple rounds of IVF and we (used to) travel to farflung corners of the world: I've had a LOT of shots in my life; this was not as sting-y going in as tetanus and nothing like hemoglobin.

Over the last week two friends and one of my students have had J&J and report it as completely uneventful.

• Like 4

It’s fairly wide open in New York as far as eligibility. That said, they have more vaccine here than interest.  There’s 700 open slots today at the local vaccination site and they expect to fill only about 200.  I suspect locally we are getting to the point where those who wanted to be vaccinated have been, and there’s still a very high percentage who don’t want the vaccine.

• Sad 11

13 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

It’s fairly wide open in New York as far as eligibility. That said, they have more vaccine here than interest.  There’s 700 open slots today at the local vaccination site and they expect to fill only about 200.  I suspect locally we are getting to the point where those who wanted to be vaccinated have been, and there’s still a very high percentage who don’t want the vaccine.

And yet where I live in NY, some eligible folks can’t get appointments until the end of May. I feel like I’ll never get my turn! I *know* it will be soon, but it doesn’t feel that way. 

• Sad 6

I successfully got my first vaccine this morning!  I got Pfizer.  It was at a mass vaccine drive thru site and I was very happy by how well run it was.  EMTs were the ones giving it and things moved smoothly.  I must say that it is something to behold a mass vaccination like this.  It is hard to describe and it almost other-worldly.  Next dose is already scheduled for 20 days from now.  I know I am not protected yet but am grateful beyond measure to have the first vaccine done.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, freesia said:

And yet where I live in NY, some eligible folks can’t get appointments until the end of May. I feel like I’ll never get my turn! I *know* it will be soon, but it doesn’t feel that way. 

Update:  I looked an hour north and was able to get dd (who is working at a country club dining room) an appoint for March 30! Yay!

ETA: Just realized it was at one of the new places that is opening tomorrow.  No wonder there were so many appointments available.

Edited by freesia
  • Like 8

I don't feel 100% awesome today (sore arm, super tired, slight headache and body aches, and as the day goes on, I'm feeling very slightly feverish), but not bad.  The tiredness is the worst, but even that I could push through if I needed to.  And again, I'm not sure how much is vaccine versus general immune system ramped up with pollen, barometric pressure, and kid with norovirus in the house.   I could certainly work, although I've sort of taken the excuse to stay in my jammies and work on my sick kid's school work with her.  Not complaining and way better than potential covid!

• Like 8

4 hrs since our second dose of Pfizer. I didn't look when she gave me the shot and told her not to warn me so I wouldn't tense up. It seemed like it took her a bit to get it but I barely felt anything at all. After the fact she apologized and said it usually isn't so bad. I guess it was a rough stick but it didn't hurt me. She said something about my skin being tough. I guess I got lizard rna from the last shot or maybe it is my shoulder muscles I've been working on. My skin is honestly not rough or tough, idk. My arm is sore now. Not horrible soreness but def. more than last time. I don't know if that is second shot soreness or due to her having difficulty sticking me. Ds has a bit of soreness too. We'll see how we fare as time goes on.

• Like 4

Day after 2nd Pfizer. Tiny bit of arm soreness. I've had a headache most of the day, and have felt tired/fatigued. That's all. Very manageable, especially since I didn't have anything on the schedule for the day, just in case. If I were working, I'd be able to push through, just wouldn't be quite as productive. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, Innisfree said:

Dh got his first Moderna shot on Friday, and I'm scheduled for mine this Thursday. I'm very, very pleased and relieved, though really it'll be seven weeks or so until both of our vaccinations are fully effective, so I'll be holding my breath until then. Based on his work and dd's required school testing (đŸ˜ ) we have unavoidably increasing risk atm.

Signing up here is nutty. The state has priority groups including various professions, ages, and health conditions. The county agrees on those categories. But the private pharmacies and grocery stores which are administering the shots are mostly only recognizing a couple of those categories, not all of them. The county itself is only administering shots to a couple of categories, while agreeing that others are technically eligible.

Only one pharmacy chain is offering the shots to everyone who is eligible now. Their appointments go fast.

Is it 7 weeks for Moderna to be fully effective???

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Fully effective is 2-3 weeks after second shot, and four weeks between first and second shot, so 6-7 weeks for full protection for Moderna.  Pfizer is 4-5 weeks for full effectiveness, because it's 3 weeks between shots and a slightly shorter time afterwards for efficacy.  

J&J also takes about 6 weeks to become effective, which is (weirdly) a piece of data that even my pro-J&J "one and done" friends don't seem to be aware of.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

Fully effective is 2-3 weeks after second shot, and four weeks between first and second shot, so 6-7 weeks for full protection for Moderna.  Pfizer is 4-5 weeks for full effectiveness, because it's 3 weeks between shots and a slightly shorter time afterwards for efficacy.  

J&J also takes about 6 weeks to become effective, which is (weirdly) a piece of data that even my pro-J&J "one and done" friends don't seem to be aware of.  

Ahh gotcha.  I don't know why that is over my head tonight.  I guess all the reports of the 1 shot of Pfizer or Moderna being 90% effective is what I remember. 

Pfizer & Moderna as much as 92 percent effective 2-weeks after first dose, study finds. In a letter to the editors of the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), two Canadian researchers say that a single dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines are as much as 92 percent effective in preventing COVID-19 illness after two weeks of receiving the vaccine.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep, basically what Terabith said. My math was nearly one week between dh and myself getting our first shots, plus four weeks between my shots, plus two weeks after my second shot would equal seven weeks until he and I were both fully vaccinated. 

I love that report of Pfizer and Moderna being 92% effective before the second shot, but I don't fully trust it on an individual level. One of us could easily be one in the other 8%. And then, the 92% figure may not apply evenly to every segment of society. @Laura Corin posted some interesting figures in a different thread which suggest slightly less rosy scenarios for the elderly.

The latest vaccine effectiveness data from PHE show that in those aged over 70, both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines reduce the risk of getting symptomatic disease by around 60% after a single dose. This protection lasts for several weeks.

In those aged over 80, protection against hospitalisation is around 80% and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 85% effective at stopping people aged over 80 from dying from COVID-19.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-study-shows-three-quarters-of-over-70s-have-covid-19-antibodies

It's still good news, it just reinforces my inherent caution about assuming that either of us personally is all set and immune, even after both shots. On a public health level, it's superb. On an individual level, I'll be both thrilled to be vaccinated and still wearing my mask.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Soror said:

4 hrs since our second dose of Pfizer. I didn't look when she gave me the shot and told her not to warn me so I wouldn't tense up. It seemed like it took her a bit to get it but I barely felt anything at all. After the fact she apologized and said it usually isn't so bad. I guess it was a rough stick but it didn't hurt me. She said something about my skin being tough. I guess I got lizard rna from the last shot or maybe it is my shoulder muscles I've been working on. My skin is honestly not rough or tough, idk. My arm is sore now. Not horrible soreness but def. more than last time. I don't know if that is second shot soreness or due to her having difficulty sticking me. Ds has a bit of soreness too. We'll see how we fare as time goes on.

Next morning. Arm is moderately sore. I feel a little meh. No headache, fever, or bodyaches but just a bit off. I did lower body strength work this morning and felt my energy lagging. I didn't push it hard.

Ds says his arm is really sore. He has a high pain tolerance so it must be pretty bad. Otherwise he says he feels kinda tired but nothing else. 

• Like 2

Dh and I are scheduled Sunday morning for our first Pfizer at a mass vaccination clinic set up to give 6,000 shots a day. It's indoors, in a huge facility. I'm not crazy about being around that many people, but given the rise in variants we wanted to take our first opportunity. We also scheduled the first appointment of the day and hear it's well-organized and efficient.

My mom is getting her first shot today in MA (not sure what kind).

And my sister is getting J&J Monday in VT. 

Finally feels like things are moving after a year of waiting and waiting!

• Like 5

So....10 days post my first dose of Moderna, and my arm is itchy (with mild redness) at injection site -- that started on day 8, but then last night, and again some today, my *face* is itchy/sensitive. Like when you've been in the wind, unprotected, for a long amount of time and your face gets all dried out, itchy, sensitive, etc. 

Started around my eyes, but all over/comes & goes. 

Nothing major, or can't function, or whatever (and I did report it on V-Safe) but....weird. Although some in the vaccine finder group I'm in said the same thing. 

• Like 5

My MIL, 80, had her second dose last week and was fine until day three. She pretty much stayed in bed for two days but felt back to normal day five.

My sister received her second dose even though she probably had Covid between the first and second (she still has no taste or smell). All she had was a very sore arm.

Both of the above had Moderna. I don’t know anyone personally who has had Pfizer but that’s what dh is getting next week.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Soror said:

Next morning. Arm is moderately sore. I feel a little meh. No headache, fever, or bodyaches but just a bit off. I did lower body strength work this morning and felt my energy lagging. I didn't push it hard.

Ds says his arm is really sore. He has a high pain tolerance so it must be pretty bad. Otherwise he says he feels kinda tired but nothing else. 

Yesterday was not a good day. Fatigue continued to worsen and I was on the couch after breakfast and the rest of the day. Fever started about 23 hrs after the shot. I usually run 97.2-97.6 and got up to 99.6. Tired but not sleepy. A little achiness I wasn't sure if that wasn't just from exercise (I've been sore all week) until the evening when I went to bed my whole body hurt to roll over. Slight headache off/on. Fever broke at 36 hrs, still a bit tired, slight headache.

Ds feels hot but no fever, said he is achy and slept a ton. Ds is not up yet today.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

@Sororthanks for the updates.  Sorry you had a rough day.

I had my first shot of Moderna yesterday. My arm is ridiculously sore but other than that I feel pretty good - maybe a slight headache.  I struggle with insomnia and I slept better than I have in a while so I don't know if that was from the shot or not. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Soror said:

Yesterday was not a good day. Fatigue continued to worsen and I was on the couch after breakfast and the rest of the day. Fever started about 23 hrs after the shot. I usually run 97.2-97.6 and got up to 99.6. Tired but not sleepy. A little achiness I wasn't sure if that wasn't just from exercise (I've been sore all week) until the evening when I went to bed my whole body hurt to roll over. Slight headache off/on. Fever broke at 36 hrs, still a bit tired, slight headache.

Ds feels hot but no fever, said he is achy and slept a ton. Ds is not up yet today.

45 hrs from 2nd Pfizer and I feel mostly normal. Endurance is not 100% but getting there. I made it through exercise easier today but did take a break and didn't push too hard. My arm feels a little tender touching it but I don't notice it otherwise.

Ds has some fatigue still. 

I have dh scared of the shot but as I told him it is short term, don't be a wimp. I knew going into this that I could possibly/likely have a bad day or two. I didn't take anything as not to interfere with my immune response but laid around and took it easy.

• Like 11

DH is 28 hours post 2nd Pfizer shot and has experienced almost zero side effects. He was a little tired last night and his arm is a little sore, but that's it. He says he feels completely normal today except for the arm. 

I am slightly envious, because the 2nd Moderna shot put me down for nearly 36 hours! 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, MissLemon said:

DH is 28 hours post 2nd Pfizer shot and has experienced almost zero side effects. He was a little tired last night and his arm is a little sore, but that's it. He says he feels completely normal today except for the arm. 

I am slightly envious, because the 2nd Moderna shot put me down for nearly 36 hours! 

It seems like a crap shoot on side effects. With my first it was nothing. The second Pfizer I had def effects. 24 hrs of the worst of it. 48 hrs and I felt normal.

• Like 3

I have some joint pain and a bit of a headache the morning after the 2nd Pfizer. So far, my side effects were worse for the first one.

Best of all, my state is expanding eligibility on Monday, so the rest of my family has appointments for Thursday! 

• Like 12

My parents and I have gotten our vaccines (both shots) and are a few weeks out from the second dose now.

My dad and I both got Moderna. After the first dose, my upper arm was quite sore for 4-5 days (mostly I noticed if I tried to lay on my side to sleep). My dad had arm soreness for a day or two.

After the second dose, I came home and did a lot of physical labor stuff around the house, including an hour or two of literally crawling around in the attic. (Total of about 12 hours constant work.) The next day, I was definitely really sore all over. Whether it was the vaccine or hours of hard work, including crawling, I don't know. I suspect 50/50. I did have an all-day dull headache that I think was a vaccine side-effect. Still, I popped on headphones, listened to podcasts,  and did yard and garage work all day. I wasn't moving quickly but was able to putter around just fine for an entire day. I was exhausted by 9pm (I am a night owl so that's early for me) and spent the rest of the evening relaxing and reading. I did take both motrin (for soreness) and Excedrin (for the headache) the second day, but I don't feel like either helped that day. While I still felt a bit residually sore on day three, I really think it was more the physical work than vaccine side-effects at that point.

After the second dose, my dad said he also had a mild headache the second day, but didn't feel bad other than being a bit tired. Normally he walks many miles every week, but he was a little afraid to the day after the second shot, just in case he started feeling badly. He did do a short walk that day (about 2 miles) and was fine.

My mom got the Pfizer vaccine. She's currently undergoing chemo. Other than being slightly sore at the injection site both times, she said she didn't feel any other effects.

Eta: I felt much worse after the second dose of the Shingrix vaccine (last summer) than I did with the second dose of the covid vaccine. Even so, the worst effects of the shingles vaccine lasted about 16 hours, so not even a full day.

Eta 2: My dad and I got our shots at a county drive-through site. My mom got hers indoors at a medical facility.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m only about 2 hours in, lol, but thought I’d report that my anxiety is NOT handling it well. My physical body, no issues so far. My mental health issues... can’t say the same!

It is so stressful. Hang in there! Good for you to get the vaccine!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m only about 2 hours in, lol, but thought I’d report that my anxiety is NOT handling it well. My physical body, no issues so far. My mental health issues... can’t say the same!

Big hug!  I have medical anxiety and I will be a mess when I get mine and worry about side effects until I am out of the woods.  But....get it I will!  Good for you -- You've got this!!!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I understand....I have anxiety, and particularly health anxiety, along with a couple autoimmune diseases. I have my first shot scheduled in mid-April, and while I really want it, I’m also very anxious about it and possible side effects/reactions, even though I don’t have any logical reason to be so nervous. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, HSmomof2 said:

I understand....I have anxiety, and particularly health anxiety, along with a couple autoimmune diseases. I have my first shot scheduled in mid-April, and while I really want it, I’m also very anxious about it and possible side effects/reactions, even though I don’t have any logical reason to be so nervous. 

I'm feeling this way about DH who always has strong reactions to vaccines.  He's the one who has to suffer through them and I'm trying not to let him know how anxious I am about him getting them.  His first dose will be on 4/1.  

• Like 4

Dh and I had our first Pfizer doses yesterday morning. About 7 hours later we both got insanely thirsty despite hydrating well, and I was exhausted, like couldn't-read-my-book exhausted. Took a long nap but still tired all evening, then woke up feeling better this morning.

Dh wasn't fatigued, but he did wake up with tinnitus which resolved in an hour or so.

Hoping that's it for the first dose! Both our teens were diagnosed with Covid toes about 8 months apart, so we probably have been exposed to Covid at home.

Anecdotally what I'm hearing from friends and family is that Pfizer and J&J side effects (if any) show up sooner--same day or next, often within 6-24 hours, while Moderna side effects appear a little later, more like 24-36 hours after. Certainly not the case for everyone, but I find the patterns interesting.

• Like 7

• Husband and I got Pfizer first dose yesterday morning. Mine barely hurt at all. Later that evening my muscles in that arm were sore, but completely fine today.  Other than that I feel completely normal.
  • Husband said the shot hurt badly going in. His arm was and continues to be really sore. He feels crappy today with congestion and sneezing. May be allergies as the pine pollen is starting.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:
  • Husband and I got Pfizer first dose yesterday morning. Mine barely hurt at all. Later that evening my muscles in that arm were sore, but completely fine today.  Other than that I feel completely normal.
  • Husband said the shot hurt badly going in. His arm was and continues to be really sore. He feels crappy today with congestion and sneezing. May be allergies as the pine pollen is starting.

The very same thing happened to me after my first Pfizer shot (i made a thread about it).  Given that the same thing happened to your husband I do question if it is just the way our immune systems are processing the vaccine. 

On 3/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Kassia said:

I'm feeling this way about DH who always has strong reactions to vaccines.  He's the one who has to suffer through them and I'm trying not to let him know how anxious I am about him getting them.  His first dose will be on 4/1.  

If it helps, my son is the one with the worst vaccine reactions in our family - flu shot has him laid out for days. DH gets mild reactions to flu shot - tired and achy for 24 hours. I usually have zero reactions. 

We all got the Phizer vaccine and DS, the one I thought would have a reaction, had nothing, barely a sore arm. DH had some tiredness, maybe a bit light headed. I was the one that had a low grade fever that evening, very tired, slept HARD, then a bit tired the next day. Fine after 24 hours. 

10 hours ago, Acadie said:

Dh and I had our first Pfizer doses yesterday morning. About 7 hours later we both got insanely thirsty despite hydrating well, and I was exhausted, like couldn't-read-my-book exhausted. Took a long nap but still tired all evening, then woke up feeling better this morning.

Dh wasn't fatigued, but he did wake up with tinnitus which resolved in an hour or so.

Hoping that's it for the first dose! Both our teens were diagnosed with Covid toes about 8 months apart, so we probably have been exposed to Covid at home.

Anecdotally what I'm hearing from friends and family is that Pfizer and J&J side effects (if any) show up sooner--same day or next, often within 6-24 hours, while Moderna side effects appear a little later, more like 24-36 hours after. Certainly not the case for everyone, but I find the patterns interesting.

I was thirsty too! I think Phizer is the on that can effect blood sugar more, so maybe that was it? 

And I agree, it seems Phizer reactions happen faster but are over sooner. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If it helps, my son is the one with the worst vaccine reactions in our family - flu shot has him laid out for days. DH gets mild reactions to flu shot - tired and achy for 24 hours. I usually have zero reactions. 

We all got the Phizer vaccine and DS, the one I thought would have a reaction, had nothing, barely a sore arm. DH had some tiredness, maybe a bit light headed. I was the one that had a low grade fever that evening, very tired, slept HARD, then a bit tired the next day. Fine after 24 hours. 

=

Thank you!  This was the first shot?  If so, please update when you all get your second!  DH is getting Moderna.  I've had my first Moderna so far.  Dd also has reactions but is away at college and isn't eligible yet anyway.  We'll have to be careful with the timing on hers since she has no downtime this summer and I want her to be fully vaccinated before going back to college for fall.

15 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thank you!  This was the first shot?  If so, please update when you all get your second!  DH is getting Moderna.  I've had my first Moderna so far.  Dd also has reactions but is away at college and isn't eligible yet anyway.  We'll have to be careful with the timing on hers since she has no downtime this summer and I want her to be fully vaccinated before going back to college for fall.

Yes, first one. DS and I go back on March 31 for our second, DH is a few days before that...maybe a week before?

• Like 2

I had my Oxford-AstraZeneca on Sunday.  By Monday my arm was sore but I had no other symptoms.  In the afternoon I started to feel really tired and a bit shivery with some aches.  I took some paracetemol and went to bed early.  This morning, my arm is still a bit sore but I feel otherwise fine.

• Like 12

On 3/19/2021 at 10:33 AM, Soror said:

45 hrs from 2nd Pfizer and I feel mostly normal. Endurance is not 100% but getting there. I made it through exercise easier today but did take a break and didn't push too hard. My arm feels a little tender touching it but I don't notice it otherwise.

Ds has some fatigue still. 

I have dh scared of the shot but as I told him it is short term, don't be a wimp. I knew going into this that I could possibly/likely have a bad day or two. I didn't take anything as not to interfere with my immune response but laid around and took it easy.

Do you mind sharing what you found out about not interfering with the immune response?  I saw to not pre medicate, no alcohol, be rested and hydrated.  I found conflicting info about Tylenol afterwards so I'll probably skip it.  My first dose is Thursday!