Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

12 hours ago, edelweiss said:

DD20 is in Florida, so she hasn't gotten it yet.  She will be coming home toward the end of April.  Not sure if she will be able to get a shot in FL before she comes home or if she will have to wait until then.  I want everyone vaccinated as soon as possible!

Florida opens it up to ages 18 and up on April 5th 🙂

10 hours ago, kbutton said:

am also having some minor symptoms that seem like allergies, which is right on time for our area, but it's frustrating to not know what is shot and what is pollen/mold. 

My understanding is nasal congestion, etc are not post vaccine symptoms. unless you mean headache/fatigue/etc - I get that with allergies and those are side effects of the vaccine. 

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My understanding is nasal congestion, etc are not post vaccine symptoms. unless you mean headache/fatigue/etc - I get that with allergies and those are side effects of the vaccine. 

I wonder.. just complete speculation here, that if since the shot affects the immune system and the body is fighting those Covid things that people who suffer from allergies, then have a worse reaction to their allergies because their body is busy fighting the Covid shor rather than mounting a defense against the allergen. 

My husband was absolutely miserable with his allergies that first 24 hours despite taking his medication. Again, not sure if it was a reaction to the first shot or just regular allergies ( pine pollen is getting awful here). Just my hypothesis.

Just now, TexasProud said:

I wonder.. just complete speculation here, that if since the shot affects the immune system and the body is fighting those Covid things that people who suffer from allergies, then have a worse reaction to their allergies because their body is busy fighting the Covid shor rather than mounting a defense against the allergen. 

My husband was absolutely miserable with his allergies that first 24 hours despite taking his medication. Again, not sure if it was a reaction to the first shot or just regular allergies ( pine pollen is getting awful here). Just my hypothesis.

Hmm...not sure? I mean, I think it can go either way - if your immune system is already worked up, it might trigger inflammation. Or, it might give the immune system something else to focus on and make the allergy symptoms better. Sort of how in pregnancy some women have allergies get worse, others they get better?

I do think my vaccine side effects may have been worse (mild fever, fatigue, aches) because my immune system was already angry due to my seasonal allergies. But can't prove that and I can see how it might go the other way, as you are saying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you! We are trying to figure out if DD will be eligible to get it in Florida or not.  She isn't a legal resident there (she has an OH driver's license), but she is living in Florida right now. Unfortunately her apartment lease is in my husband's name, so I'm not sure if she will qualify or not.

Kind of related to the allergies and shot question, I have a vaccine conundrum.

Anyone have helpful info or thoughts? If one’s immune system is in high gear, how does that affect the shot?  Do we think it has any bearing on effectiveness?

One of my docs said, paraphrasing, that the immune system is fickle, and if you’re fighting a cold and get the shot, once the immune system sees the shot it views it as something shiny and new and stops fighting the cold to go work on the new thing. 

I’m trying to decide about postponing my second shot till my body is a bit healthier, but then again, I have no guarantees that that will happen in time, and the shot would make further testing possibly a bit safer.  Docs have given varying answers, so I have to make the decision on my own.

Any info on getting the shot while not in top top shape?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Kind of related to the allergies and shot question, I have a vaccine conundrum.

Anyone have helpful info or thoughts? If one’s immune system is in high gear, how does that affect the shot?  Do we think it has any bearing on effectiveness?

One of my docs said, paraphrasing, that the immune system is fickle, and if you’re fighting a cold and get the shot, once the immune system sees the shot it views it as something shiny and new and stops fighting the cold to go work on the new thing. 

I’m trying to decide about postponing my second shot till my body is a bit healthier, but then again, I have no guarantees that that will happen in time, and the shot would make further testing possibly a bit safer.  Docs have given varying answers, so I have to make the decision on my own.

Any info on getting the shot while not in top top shape?

My immune system is in hyper-drive.  I am on medications to help it but it has taken so many assaults lately that I am still having issues.   My dr told me to keep taking all the antihistamines I am on and to expect some push back from my immune system.  It has pushed back and I am dealing with the consequences.   My thinking, and my dr's, is that it was worth being vaccinated and we will deal with any fallout once I am fully vaccinated.  The hope is also that once the initial shock to my immune system is over (after both vaccines) that my immune system will settle down and the current med regime will calm it down.    I am not sure this is helpful to you at all and if it isn't, I am sorry!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I've been thinking "they" should prioritize college students.

I would be very happy to see mandatory vaccination for returning to campus for all colleges.  I believe I saw yesterday that Rutgers is requiring proof of vaccinations and I fully support that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ditto said:

My immune system is in hyper-drive.  I am on medications to help it but it has taken so many assaults lately that I am still having issues.   My dr told me to keep taking all the antihistamines I am on and to expect some push back from my immune system.  It has pushed back and I am dealing with the consequences.   My thinking, and my dr's, is that it was worth being vaccinated and we will deal with any fallout once I am fully vaccinated.  The hope is also that once the initial shock to my immune system is over (after both vaccines) that my immune system will settle down and the current med regime will calm it down.    I am not sure this is helpful to you at all and if it isn't, I am sorry!

Yes, it helps.  

I mean, my immune system is doing *something* at warp speed.  Nothin’ good, possibly, but it’s certainly busy.  🤣

I have a liver issue as a result (? Maybe it’s a result?  That’s still up for debate), but the shot isn’t processed that way, so that part should be ok.  And it will make further testing easier, so I’m hopeful it will be fine.

1 hour ago, edelweiss said:

Thank you! We are trying to figure out if DD will be eligible to get it in Florida or not.  She isn't a legal resident there (she has an OH driver's license), but she is living in Florida right now. Unfortunately her apartment lease is in my husband's name, so I'm not sure if she will qualify or not.

This is the info for qualifying:

In order to demonstrate Florida residency, an individual must present either

(1) A valid Florida driver license or valid Florida identification card, or

(2) If an individual does not have a valid Florida driver license or identification card, they may present a copy of two of the following items that show proof of residential address:

• A deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental or lease agreement. (Copies of deeds can be found on the Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller website https://www.sarasotaclerk.com/)
  • A utility hookup or work order that is not more than 2 months old.
  • A utility bill that is not more than 2 months old.
  • Mail from a bank or other financial institution, including checking, savings, or investment account statements, that is not more than 2 months old.
  • Mail from a government agency that is not more than 2 months old. (Mail from a government agency can include tax bills showing a Florida address. Tax bills can be found on the Sarasota County Tax Collector website https://www.sarasotataxcollector.com/
  • One of the above items from the individual’s parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the individual resides and a statement from the parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the person resides stating that the person does resides with him or her.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, kbutton said:

So, my third day after Pfizer first injection. My armpits are sore like when my lymph nodes are fighting something off. I don't feel swelling yet, but the soreness started in the side I used for vaccination, and it's worse on that side. Ugh. I was hoping to avoid swollen lymph nodes as I have permanently swollen lymph nodes on one side from allergy shots. 

I am also having some minor symptoms that seem like allergies, which is right on time for our area, but it's frustrating to not know what is shot and what is pollen/mold. 

It's better this morning. I will be curious if it comes and goes or stays better. I am also taking my allergy season doses of meds to stay on top of overlapping symptoms. I wish I had started that last week, lol! I take far more than the bottle says at the direction of my allergist, but I can get away with a bit less in the winter. The transition sneaked up on me.

• Like 4

I got my second Moderna dose four hours ago.

Arm:  sore.

I feel sleepy, but it was a long week, I might just be legitimately tired.  I feel chilled, but it’s a blustery day, I might just want to curl up under a blanket anyway.

I’m ravenously hungry, but I haven’t seen that listed anywhere as a symptom.  

• Like 7

My DH got his first yesterday. He has nausea, joint aches, and fatigue today. They wouldn’t let L get one yesterday even though 16+ was supposed to be eligible due to not having the right form for parents to fill out, so I made another appointment for Monday, and hope that will work.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

17 hours ago, Spryte said:

Yes, it helps.  

I mean, my immune system is doing *something* at warp speed.  Nothin’ good, possibly, but it’s certainly busy.  🤣

I have a liver issue as a result (? Maybe it’s a result?  That’s still up for debate), but the shot isn’t processed that way, so that part should be ok.  And it will make further testing easier, so I’m hopeful it will be fine.

I'm glad you found it helpful.  I have only had my first Pfizer and am just kind of holding my breath for what my pissed off immune system is going to do when I have my second one.

I am so sorry about your health problems.  Autoimmune problems are scary and can be difficult to tease out at times.  They also tend to travel in packs, so if you have one, it isn't unusual to have more than one.   I agree that getting the vaccine should be fine for you at least as far as your liver goes.  I am thinking about you and so hope you get answers to your health issues and hope the vaccine doesn't tick off your immune system anymore than it already is.

• Like 3

Twenty-four hours past Moderna #2.  I’m cold.  This morning it was alternating cold and hot:  put fluffy sweater on, take fluffy sweater off, put fluffy sweater on, take fluffy sweater off.

Now I’m huddled under a down comforter and not planning on coming out anytime soon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

DH got his Pfizer shot yesterday. He felt fine for a while, then he was kind of feverish and tired last night, and today he has a lot of muscle soreness but is basically fine. 

My FIL had his second Pfizer shot last weekend and he again had stomach cramps as his major symptom, and it was 3 days after the vaccine. He said he had about the same reaction to both shots. DH says his second reaction is worse than the first one, but so far, it seems similar in type. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I am scheduled for Monday the 5th.  Already nervous as I have medical anxiety anyway -- LOL.  YIKES!

Quoting myself -- LOL.  So...the big clinic I am going to is supposed to be J & J, but they didn't get much of that and have been doing Pfizer.  I don't think I want J & J so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  There are 2 other places I will call tomorrow to see if I can get on their list if they aren't doing J & J.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Quoting myself -- LOL.  So...the big clinic I am going to is supposed to be J & J, but they didn't get much of that and have been doing Pfizer.  I don't think I want J & J so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  There are 2 other places I will call tomorrow to see if I can get on their list if they aren't doing J & J.

I hope you are able to find the vaccine you want.   Like you, I didn't want J&J so I know that feeling.   Depending on what you find out earlier this week, call the clinic you are going to later in the week and see if they can tell you which vaccines they will have.   I asked the nurse who gave my teen her shot Friday if they were giving all 3 vaccines and she said that it completely depended on which ones they received and there was no rhyme or reason to it. 

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I am scheduled for Monday the 5th.  Already nervous as I have medical anxiety anyway -- LOL.  YIKES!

Thanks for signing up anyway!

54 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

It would not be my first choice, but as far as death risk goes, they all protect really well. 

• Like 3

Dh and I received Pfizer dose one on Tuesday. We registered online with our dept. of public health portal and they called us and scheduled the appt. Vaccine went well, no side effects except sore arm for a day.

‘HOWEVER, they make the dose 2 appointments when you get your first dose, via the DPH website with their special login. Dh was scheduled just fine, but my shot hasn’t updated, meaning they were unable to schedule a second dose for me. They told me the DPH would send me an email w my appt, which would be the same time as dh’s second one. Nope. DPH tells me they have no way to do that, and their only solution was to create an entirely new account for me. Which somehow enabled them to manually enter that I’ve had the first vaccine. But they can’t schedule me because they don’t have any appointments within 100 miles (they can;t search farther than that from my house). Said to try to call them a few times every day and see if any appointments open up. But 2nd dose appointments aren’t on their portal because they’re only made by the sites giving shots, not DPH. And new appointments are only added on Tuesday. But call every day. Then sent an email w  link to schedule online. Which has zero appointments available. Ever. Zero. 

Yes, this is conflicting info and not at all reassuring. 

You know sometimes something will happen and they;ll say don’t worry, so and so will fix it and get back to you and you KNOW it’s not going to go that way? Yeah, that. The health dept just told me to leave and wait for dph to fix it. I walked out KNOWING that was a long shot at best. Ugh

Edited by Annie G
  • Sad 14

2 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

DH is getting one on Thursday, and despite having a pre-existing condition, he couldn’t get an appointment until this week. He’s getting it at Kaiser but doesn’t know which one and doesn’t care. Has anyone gotten a vaccine from Kaiser yet?

A friend here got Moderna at Kaiser today. Dh and I got appts for next Friday at our local pharmacy. I believe we’re getting Pfizer, since they automatically scheduled our second shots for 3 weeks later. I’m super nervous but just because I have health anxiety. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Annie G said:

Dh and I received Pfizer dose one on Tuesday. We registered online with our dept. of public health portal and they called us and scheduled the appt. Vaccine went well, no side effects except sore arm for a day.

‘HOWEVER, they make the dose 2 appointments when you get your first dose, via the DPH website with their special login. Dh was scheduled just fine, but my shot hasn’t updated, meaning they were unable to schedule a second dose for me. They told me the DPH would send me an email w my appt, which would be the same time as dh’s second one. Nope. DPH tells me they have no way to do that, and their only solution was to create an entirely new account for me. Which somehow enabled them to manually enter that I’ve had the first vaccine. But they can’t schedule me because they don’t have any appointments within 100 miles (they can;t search farther than that from my house). Said to try to call them a few times every day and see if any appointments open up. But 2nd dose appointments aren’t on their portal because they’re only made by the sites giving shots, not DPH. And new appointments are only added on Tuesday. But call every day. Then sent an email w  link to schedule online. Which has zero appointments available. Ever. Zero. 

Yes, this is conflicting info and not at all reassuring. 

You know sometimes something will happen and they;ll say don’t worry, so and so will fix it and get back to you and you KNOW it’s not going to go that way? Yeah, that. The health dept just told me to leave and wait for dph to fix it. I walked out KNOWING that was a long shot at best. Ugh

Maybe try going in with your dh and see if that works. Good luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danae said:

Twenty-four hours past Moderna #2.  I’m cold.  This morning it was alternating cold and hot:  put fluffy sweater on, take fluffy sweater off, put fluffy sweater on, take fluffy sweater off.

Now I’m huddled under a down comforter and not planning on coming out anytime soon. 

So I slept for four hours and when I woke up I definitely had a fever.  Took ibuprofen and ate soup, feeling better.  Hopefully the long nap won’t make it hard to sleep tonight.

• Like 4

Just now, Starr said:

Maybe try going in with your dh and see if that works. Good luck!

That’s my plan since they wrote my appointment date and time (which is the same as his) before they realized they couldn’t schedule it. So I hope I can show up and they just think they lost my appt since my card clearly says they gave the first shot and wrote the appointment. However, it’s a risk because if they don’t have a dose for me I have to start all over looking, and our state has opened it to everyone 16 and older so there are NO vaccines available anywhere! 

• Like 2

Probably a dumb question but I haven’t easily found an answer I trust-  are the second doses different than the first? A different amount of vaccine? 

I have wondered if places that are scheduling “1st shot Moderna” and “2nd shot Moderna” are doing that for administrative reasons or is the shot different? 

I do understand I can’t mix brands! But wondering if I try to reschedule my second shot is it going to get messy if I get rescheduled on a day they are doing mostly first shots? I am due for my second one end of next week but they did say I could do it four days early. Wondering if I am going to cause a mixup if I see available appointments and schedule one.

Has anyone heard if females tend to have more reactions than males to the vaccine?  I was talking to friends for whom the husband had no reaction but the wife did (sore arm, feeling miserable, etc).  I know they had thee Moderna vaccine.  They said that women tend to have more reactions.   I started thinking and anyone that I know who has had a reaction has been female.  The males that I know who have had a vaccine have reported things like "maybe a mild headache"--but I have also talked to more females than males.  

7 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Probably a dumb question but I haven’t easily found an answer I trust-  are the second doses different than the first? A different amount of vaccine? 

I have wondered if places that are scheduling “1st shot Moderna” and “2nd shot Moderna” are doing that for administrative reasons or is the shot different? 

I do understand I can’t mix brands! But wondering if I try to reschedule my second shot is it going to get messy if I get rescheduled on a day they are doing mostly first shots? I am due for my second one end of next week but they did say I could do it four days early. Wondering if I am going to cause a mixup if I see available appointments and schedule one.

My understanding is that both doses are identical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Has anyone heard if females tend to have more reactions than males to the vaccine?  I was talking to friends for whom the husband had no reaction but the wife did (sore arm, feeling miserable, etc).  I know they had thee Moderna vaccine.  They said that women tend to have more reactions.   I started thinking and anyone that I know who has had a reaction has been female.  The males that I know who have had a vaccine have reported things like "maybe a mild headache"--but I have also talked to more females than males.  

That's interesting.  The only people I know who've had reactions (fever, unwell, serious headache, overall achiness) are women, too.   My mom, my mil, our Pastor's wife all were out of commission for at least two days.  

Well, my dh said he felt chilled for a day after the first shot but it didn't keep him from going to the A10 championship game with some of our sons so I'm not sure that counts 🤣

I get my second shot late on Thursday.  I've already warned my family that Easter dinner may be cancelled.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I think I read an article that women are more likely to have side effects from the vaccine but can't remember for sure.

Ds (16) had a worse reaction than me with both 1st and 2nd dose, he has had Covid before. My arm was barely sore the first time. The second I had some fever, fatigue and bodyaches- mostly in a 24 hr window. Completely gone by 48.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bootsie said:

In our house I had the worse reaction. 

I do remember reading toward the start of the pandemic that men were more likely to be hospitalized and die, and it was because women have stronger immune systems in general. And that the flip side of that is more women have autoimmune diseases - immune systems on overdrive. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

When we had our first shot there were plenty getting their second. If you need to reschedule you’ll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Woke up this morning (40 hours past Moderna 2) feeling great except a sore arm.  I think the fatigue (and the fact that I could indulge it) was a blessing.  I have a feeling there was more dizziness, headache, and nausea available to me if I hadn’t mostly slept through it. If I’d had the shot yesterday instead of Saturday teaching today would have been miserable.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Quoting myself again -- LOL!

Ya'll, I am so excited!  I am now scheduled at a place for next week -- they only do Pfizer.  So is DH and my dad!!!  Still a wreck about it, but it will be done!!!

After DH talks to the nurses today, I will hopefully schedule my in-laws too!

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, Bootsie said:

5 hours ago, Soror said:

I think I read an article that women are more likely to have side effects from the vaccine but can't remember for sure.

Ds (16) had a worse reaction than me with both 1st and 2nd dose, he has had Covid before. My arm was barely sore the first time. The second I had some fever, fatigue and bodyaches- mostly in a 24 hr window. Completely gone by 48.

New York Times, March 8, 2021 "Women Report Worse Side Effects After a Covid Vaccine."

Per article, women also have worse side effects from other vaccinations including those typically given to infants.

• Like 2

My parents are 75 years old (almost 76. My mom's birthday is this week and my dad's 10 days later). My father got his 2nd Pfizer shot Saturday and has had NO side effects -- not even a arm sore. (He says he;s a little worried his vaccine only had water in it due to this)

Unfortunately, my mom was unable to get hers. She got really dizzy on Friday and fell and hurt herself and the doctor advised not getting teh shot until they find out what is going on.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Sad 9

My DH got first his Friday and has been feeling just plain totally fatigued and nauseous since. Having said that, he also tends to get sick a couple of times a year and just plain totally collapse for a few days, so I really wonder if this isn't his body noticing that it hasn't had it's usual break and taking advantage of the situation! 

My 16 yr old finally got the first shot today!!! (After being turned away Friday because while the county said teens were eligible, the state had said they weren't). Unfortunately, the Temple of Praise wasn't an option, and somehow "Auto Inspection station #2" isn't nearly as exciting. Although we did blast Hamilton on the way home :). Based on observations, I strongly suspect there are a lot of parents taking their 16+ kids to get the shot ASAP, even if it requires missing school, since schools are back in person now here. I think almost every car was a parent with a teenager. 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

DH is getting one on Thursday, and despite having a pre-existing condition, he couldn’t get an appointment until this week. He’s getting it at Kaiser but doesn’t know which one and doesn’t care. Has anyone gotten a vaccine from Kaiser yet?

I have two relatives who received Moderna from Kaiser.

8 hours ago, Soror said:

I saw a news report that said the same thing.  Women are more likely to have side effects.  I can't remember which news station but it was about 2 weeks ago that I saw it.

DH got second Pfizer at 1:30 this afternoon. He's been stuck in his office on conference calls/zoom meetings since, but he sounds fine from what I can hear through the walls, lol. He was a bit dizzy/tired in the evening after his first dose, so we are expecting similar but he's hoping to power through. 

• Like 4

Had my 2nd shot (Moderna) on Sunday-- felt fine Sunday night.

Monday morning I woke up with body aches-- but I did a LOT of gardening Sunday planting my rose garden!  By my last class (over at 2:30) I was wiped and was starting to have chills--

By 4pm the chills were 'violent' and the aches increased dramatically (and I went to bed)-- bad headache at top of head started as well.  By 6pm I had a fever of 101.  It was a miserable night-- my left arm (injection site) was so tender, I alternated chills and sweats...  finally when I got up 15 hours later and took a shower I'm down to having just a headache...

It was like I relived my Covid experience from a year ago (I had it last March)...  thankfully the side effects seem to be getting better (when I had Covid the misery lasted over a week!).

I'm not regretting getting the vaccine-- I heard that when you have side effects you know your body is making more anti-bodies... I'm immune compromised and having COVID the first time was scary enough.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1