Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

So, I got my first Moderna shot on Friday. The reminder card they gave me says to go to a certain website to schedule my 2nd shot. The verbal instructions they gave me with the card were to go to that website on Tuesday. Today is Tuesday. The system in my state seems to be setup only for people to sign up for first shots because it gave me an error message that I've already signed up.

I tried calling the number on the card but got generic voicemail. Good thing I have until the end of the month to figure it out.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Sad 3

My dh and I got our 1st Pfizer shot this morning.  So far only a little soreness.  Didn't sleep well last night, so I am a little tired but that is probably more from lack of sleep than the vaccine.  It was such a wonderful feeling to finally have a light at the end of the tunnel (with regards to trying to get the vaccine.)

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

So, I got my first Moderna shot on Friday. The reminder card they gave me says to go to a certain website to schedule my 2nd shot. The verbal instructions they gave me with the card were to go to that website on Tuesday. Today is Tuesday. The system in my state seems to be setup only for people to sign up for first shots because it gave me an error message that I've already signed up.

I tried calling the number on the card but got generic voicemail. Good thing I have until the end of the month to figure it out.

I hope it gets worked out soon!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Stuff like this is so frustrating. I went through similar things in order to accomplish getting a vaccine scheduled in the first place. After my vaccine, I was given similar instructions as you. I couldn’t schedule for second vaccine on the site I went to. Luckily, the phone number worked and a live person helped. I hope you are able to get scheduled soon. 

My mom was never able to get through anywhere. So she just went to the site toward the end of the day and they took them right in to give them their second shot.  So anyone who is having trouble might try that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Over 20 hours in and still no side effects from Pfizer's 1st shot - not even a sore arm.  I am happy, but I will not let my guard down for my 2nd shot and will plan to be down a day or 2 just in case.

Yay!  I'm so happy for you.  Like you, I am planning to be down a day or 2 for my 2nd (Moderna), which is next week.  I don't want to be sick but am hoping it makes me tired so I can sleep for a change since I struggle with terrible insomnia.  

My ds2 got Moderna #1 yesterday and did fine - just a sore arm.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Yay!  I'm so happy for you.  Like you, I am planning to be down a day or 2 for my 2nd (Moderna), which is next week.  I don't want to be sick but am hoping it makes me tired so I can sleep for a change since I struggle with terrible insomnia.  

My ds2 got Moderna #1 yesterday and did fine - just a sore arm.  

I have insomnia too!  I didn't sleep great last night, but I had the best 2 hour 40 minute nap yesterday, which didn't help my sleep last night -- LOL.  It was worth it though because that nap was awesome!

• Like 4

DH and I had our second Pfizer shots yesterday afternoon.  It has now been 18 hours and all either of us have noticed as far as side effects are sore arms. Other than that we feel normal.

DD17 will get her second Pfizer shot next week.

DD20 is in Florida and we weren't sure that they would allow her to get a shot there, but she met the parameters and got her first Pfizer on Monday.

So happy that my whole family is now in the process of becoming fully vaccinated!

• Like 8

Lol. I was secretly hoping for that "slept really hard for 12 hours" type side effect from my first shot because I haven't slept well since pregnant with my first kid & the wide-awake-at-1 am (used to be 3, but it is worse now) stuff is not great. This crowd-sourcing symptoms is helpful.

• Like 6

My dd 20 got the Pfizer vaccine 1st dose yesterday. She said she felt hot, no actual fever though, had a headache and felt generally a bit rough yesterday until late evening, when she started to feel better. This morning she feels fine other than a sore arm.

The weird thing was that they put a round bandaid with a clear plastic center on her arm, and then gave the shot through it. Hadn’t seen that before. 

Edited by TCB
Typo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

Had my first Pfizer today.

Nobody had a dumb sticker. I am a scrapbooker. I NEED stickers!!! 

PM me your address. I’m pretty sure I put my sticker in my wallet with my vaccination card. If I find it I’ll mail it to you the next time I go to town. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 10:47 PM, kand said:

Has anyone heard of anyone not having a fever until three days after vaccination? I had headache and exhaustion from about 6 hours post to 20 hours post. Then I felt fine. Today, around 72 hours post, I felt a little off and saw my temp had crept up above my normal. It’s not technically a fever, but my temp usually never goes up like that unless I’m sick. I don’t feel sick though. I do feel exhausted (but I’ve had very little sleep lately, so that’s not surprising). Could this be vaccine related still? I feel a little worried, because I got my vaccine in a small clinic and was inside about 25 minutes total. Definitely the biggest Covid risk I’ve taken in a long time. Seemed worth it to get vaccinated, though. 

The nurse who gave me the vaccine said most people who are going to have a fever get it in the first 5 days, and if I get one after 7 days to consider myself actually sick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TCB said:

The weird thing was that they put a round bandaid with a clear plastic center on her arm, and then gave the shot through it. Hadn’t seen that before. 

That's to keep all the Gates tracker molecules trapped so they work better to target the 5G waves at your body.

<wink>

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Just over 24 hours since my second Pfizer shot and NO side effects at all.  My arm is slightly sore but so not a big deal.  I am just beyond grateful to have had both doses and look forward to full protection in 2 weeks or so.   

• Like 12

3 hours ago, edelweiss said:

DH and I had our second Pfizer shots yesterday afternoon.  It has now been 18 hours and all either of us have noticed as far as side effects are sore arms. Other than that we feel normal.

DD17 will get her second Pfizer shot next week.

DD20 is in Florida and we weren't sure that they would allow her to get a shot there, but she met the parameters and got her first Pfizer on Monday.

So happy that my whole family is now in the process of becoming fully vaccinated!

Our family's second dose vaccination train has left the station too and it is such a good feeling!  Husband is Friday, oldest is Monday,  middle is Tuesday, and youngest is Friday.   All of us are Pfizer except hubby-he is Moderna. 

• Like 4

For those looking for vaccination t-shirts--they are a thing!  I found Pfizer on Redbubble, Amazon, and somewhere else that I can't remember now.  Just google it.  Teen and I are definitely getting one.  My favorite is the one that says "Thank you Pfizer" (Pfizer is their logo).   If you get one, please post which one you got!

Edited by Ditto
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

That's to keep all the Gates tracker molecules trapped so they work better to target the 5G waves at your body.

<wink>

Lol that’s what I told her! She said it might set some people off because it looked a bit like some kind of controlling device from Dr Who.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TCB said:

My dd 20 got the Pfizer vaccine 1st dose yesterday. She said she felt hot, no actual fever though, had a headache and felt generally a bit rough yesterday until late evening, when she started to feel better. This morning she feels fine other than a sore arm.

It’s one of these:  http://injectsafebandages.com

It lets the nurse place all attention on the needle and none on the bandage after the shot, so it’s safer for everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, TCB said:

The kids and I had those for our flu vaccines last fall.  

• Like 3

24 hours since the first Pfizer shot for me. My arm is sore, but that’s it. I actually have more energy today than usual! Maybe it’s a vaccine that will increase our strength, speed, and stamina - or am I just watching too many Marvel movies? 😉
Dh had first Moderna shot last Thursday, and had a sore arm as well.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

24 hours since the first Pfizer shot for me. My arm is sore, but that’s it. I actually have more energy today than usual! Maybe it’s a vaccine that will increase our strength, speed, and stamina - or am I just watching too many Marvel movies? 😉
Dh had first Moderna shot last Thursday, and had a sore arm as well.

My brother got his first shot of Pfizer this weekend.  He called it his "origin story." In the ten days since my  first Moderna, I've often thought of those armies of white blood cells mobilizing ang growing stronger. So, you are not alone (or at least you have my family to hang with!)

• Like 4

I'm not having any vaccine side effects other than a sore arm, but I did wake up with UTI symptoms.  Went to doctor and culture said no infection but blood in urine, so they did an X-ray (and now I need to figure out how to report the tech for racist speech) to check for kidney stones and want to do a culture, follow up urinalysis in two weeks, and possibly an ultrasound to check for bleeding in the bladder itself.  (And honestly, I've been saying for almost two years now that I think the catheter damaged my bladder during/ immediately after my hysterectomy.  I've been having pain and issues ever since, and it feels like one particular spot on the bladder itself hurts.) 

• Sad 14

47 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm not having any vaccine side effects other than a sore arm, but I did wake up with UTI symptoms.  Went to doctor and culture said no infection but blood in urine, so they did an X-ray (and now I need to figure out how to report the tech for racist speech) to check for kidney stones and want to do a culture, follow up urinalysis in two weeks, and possibly an ultrasound to check for bleeding in the bladder itself.  (And honestly, I've been saying for almost two years now that I think the catheter damaged my bladder during/ immediately after my hysterectomy.  I've been having pain and issues ever since, and it feels like one particular spot on the bladder itself hurts.) 

Ouch, I hope you get answers soon.

2 hours since DS and I had our second Pfizer shots.  Mine was delayed by a week after some recent scary health stuff that happened after (but not because of) the first shot.

DS is fine, almost euphoric.

I am harder to read.  My arm feels warm.  I had a lot of anxiety about this shot, dealing with the health stuff and having been feeling poorly.  So - anxiety symptoms while waiting after the shot, but nothing terrible. I’m very tired, but that’s part of whatever has been going on, so isn’t necessarily shot related. I’ll just wait and see.  My first shot gave me some strong side effects (body aches were the worst), so I’m mentally prepared for it this time.

So happy to have it done!

• Like 13

On 3/31/2021 at 12:57 AM, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, as someone with cold sores, I’m also not surprised. I’d be curious to see it studied further, though.

And who wants to give me points for excellent predictions?? I read the thing about shingles in this thread, and then I thought about it, and then I made sure to get a prescription for the herpes anti-viral (valacyclovir, I think.) 

And yep, I have my first cold sore in years today, 3 days after the vaccine. Luckily, I have the antiviral and took one as soon as I saw a sign, so hopefully that'll help. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

2 hours since DS and I had our second Pfizer shots.  Mine was delayed by a week after some recent scary health stuff that happened after (but not because of) the first shot.

DS is fine, almost euphoric.

I am harder to read.  My arm feels warm.  I had a lot of anxiety about this shot, dealing with the health stuff and having been feeling poorly.  So - anxiety symptoms while waiting after the shot, but nothing terrible. I’m very tired, but that’s part of whatever has been going on, so isn’t necessarily shot related. I’ll just wait and see.  My first shot gave me some strong side effects (body aches were the worst), so I’m mentally prepared for it this time.

So happy to have it done!

Please keep us updated. How are you feeling with the rest of your health stuff?? 

• Like 3

DH got the Johnson & Johnson shot Monday evening.  A few hours later he was feeling a bit achy.  The next day he was achy and tired and slept all afternoon.  Today he says that he is feeling almost back to normal.

DD and I got our first Pfizer shot yesterday morning.  DD has had no side effects.  I have been tired, headache, dizzy, and my ears are ringing.  No redness or swelling at the injection site, which I was sort of expected.  My flu shot last fall gave me a horrible red, hot, itchy, swollen arm for almost a week.

I am glad we were able to find a way to get them much sooner than I had expected.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Please keep us updated. How are you feeling with the rest of your health stuff?? 

Thanks for checking - I’m feeling back to my (new) normal now, thankfully, post-shot. Crossing fingers that things stay that way.

I’ve been having lots of ups and downs, so it’s going to be hard to tell what’s caused by the shot or the other stuff.  

Overall, I’ve been a lot better, so just trying to enjoy the up times and be very intentional about Fun With Kids every day. Which is a nice, happy side effect of it all while we wait for tests.  😊

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Thanks for checking - I’m feeling back to my (new) normal now, thankfully, post-shot. Crossing fingers that things stay that way.

I'll cross my fingers and toes for you. 

Remind me: what makes it the new normal? I seem to remember it's worse than the old normal 😞 . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'll cross my fingers and toes for you. 

Remind me: what makes it the new normal? I seem to remember it's worse than the old normal 😞 . 

Some mysterious liver issue (not alcohol related).  I’ll know more after more tests!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Went to my chiropractor today.  He got his vaccination!  I mention this here because chiropractors are often anti-vax. 

Yeah, I asked my (like 75 year old) chiropractor if he was eligible for covid vaccination during the whole health care people only part of the vaccination, because he's also a volunteer EMT.  He got mad and was like, "I haven't had a vaccine in my entire life, and I'll be d*mned if I'm going to start now!"  He finally put a sign on his door saying masks were required maybe 3 months ago, and he started wearing one in the exam room if the patient was.  His receptionist (who is about 80) still doesn't mask.  I went in the other day to buy vitamin D, since his formulation appears to be the only formulation I absorb, and the receptionist was like, "He was out sick for two weeks.  Turns out it was covid!  It's the weirdest thing!  I just don't understand how he could have gotten it!"

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Went to my chiropractor today.  He got his vaccination!  I mention this here because chiropractors are often anti-vax. 

I never fully understand why those two things went together, but I noticed it, yes.

Do you think it’s more strong among those chiropractors who subscribe to the idea that adjustments can correct just about every internal physical ailment? There seem to be at least a few different schools of thought in the profession.

11 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I never fully understand why those two things went together, but I noticed it, yes.

Do you think it’s more strong among those chiropractors who subscribe to the idea that adjustments can correct just about every internal physical ailment? There seem to be at least a few different schools of thought in the profession.

My chiropractor doesn't believe that adjustments can cure every physical ailment.  But he is really opposed to vaccines.  

Honestly, not really clear on the correlation, but there definitely seems to be one, although I have known OTHER chiropractors who were very pro-vax.  But they seem to be the minority.  

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

My chiro believes that adjustments can boost the immune system.  But he also believes in going to medical doctors.  We discussed this at the beginning of the pandemic.  He pointed out that many of his colleagues have a bias against vaccination and it was because they want the body's immune system to fight illness on their own.  Of course, we know that vaccines do tell your body to fight illness but apparently they don't necessarily see it that way. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
killed a kitten
  • Like 3

I got my vaccine yesterday.  I got the Johnson and Johnson at a mass vaccination site.  I had flashbacks to my Army shots.  The Maryland National Guard was a MACHINE.  I left my car and didn't break my stride until I was in the chair getting a shot.  I took off my hoodie while walking with a purpose through the checkpoints so I wouldn't slow up their operation. 😄

I figured the J&J shot would give me a pass on some of the side effects.  It did NOT.  I felt great right after, but about 8 hours in I got hit with:

Exhaustion

Headache

Fever

Violent chills

Nausea

Sensitive Skin ???? <--- the weird one

It was a rough night.  I didn't really sleep until after 4 a.m. and I slept way in today, then moved my pitiful booty to the couch for the day.  Today my only symptoms are a headache, tiredness, and lack of appetite.  Nothing sounds appetizing and water doesn't even taste good.  

I'm kind of annoyed.  I thought my odds were good for escaping side effects with the single dose vaccine. DS had the same shot and had no reaction beyond injection site pain.  My body did not care for whatever was in that vaccine and fought HARD.  It had been so long since I've even had a fever that I forgot how miserable they were.  Here's to hoping for normalcy tomorrow.  

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I got my vaccine yesterday.  I got the Johnson and Johnson at a mass vaccination site.  I had flashbacks to my Army shots.  The Maryland National Guard was a MACHINE.  I left my car and didn't break my stride until I was in the chair getting a shot.  I took off my hoodie while walking with a purpose through the checkpoints so I wouldn't slow up their operation. 😄

I figured the J&J shot would give me a pass on some of the side effects.  It did NOT.  I felt great right after, but about 8 hours in I got hit with:

Exhaustion

Headache

Fever

Violent chills

Nausea

Sensitive Skin ???? <--- the weird one

It was a rough night.  I didn't really sleep until after 4 a.m. and I slept way in today, then moved my pitiful booty to the couch for the day.  Today my only symptoms are a headache, tiredness, and lack of appetite.  Nothing sounds appetizing and water doesn't even taste good.  

I'm kind of annoyed.  I thought my odds were good for escaping side effects with the single dose vaccine. DS had the same shot and had no reaction beyond injection site pain.  My body did not care for whatever was in that vaccine and fought HARD.  It had been so long since I've even had a fever that I forgot how miserable they were.  Here's to hoping for normalcy tomorrow.  

Sorry to hear that your reaction was so rough.  I had much the same experience as you did.

When you say sensitive skin, what was that like?   I hadn't  listed sensitive skin as a side effect, but I did have a very strange sensation now that you mention it.  I told me husband that the skin on my back felt prickly--somewhat like a sunburn.  I didn't have any specific sensitivity at the injection site.  I attributed it to running fever and maybe a bit of dehydration.  (I ran fever between 101 and 102 through the entire night and only reemmber once before in my life that my temperature has been 102) 

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

My body did not care for whatever was in that vaccine and fought HARD. 

I think it's maybe less annoying to yourself to phrase it as "your body did a really good job generating an immune response"? 

Honestly, I don't look forward to feeling sick from the second shot AT ALL, but at the end of the day, I'll be more worried if I don't feel sick than if I do! 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Sorry to hear that your reaction was so rough.  I had much the same experience as you did.

When you say sensitive skin, what was that like?   I hadn't  listed sensitive skin as a side effect, but I did have a very strange sensation now that you mention it.  I told me husband that the skin on my back felt prickly--somewhat like a sunburn.  I didn't have any specific sensitivity at the injection site.  I attributed it to running fever and maybe a bit of dehydration.  (I ran fever between 101 and 102 through the entire night and only reemmber once before in my life that my temperature has been 102) 

It was a bit like a sunburn.  It wasn't painful, but my skin felt weirdly abraded.  I probably should have taken my temperature when I was shivering, but I just couldn't bring myself to get up and find the thermometer or direct DH to one of several places it could be.  

59 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think it's maybe less annoying to yourself to phrase it as "your body did a really good job generating an immune response"? 

Honestly, I don't look forward to feeling sick from the second shot AT ALL, but at the end of the day, I'll be more worried if I don't feel sick than if I do! 

It was the only way to spin it where I didn't look like a complete wimp because that shot kicked my butt.  I kinda thought I'd avoid that with the single dose shot, but nope.  I'm happy to report that today I am completely back to normal

• Like 5

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

It was the only way to spin it where I didn't look like a complete wimp because that shot kicked my butt.  I kinda thought I'd avoid that with the single dose shot, but nope.  I'm happy to report that today I am completely back to normal

I'm glad you're back to normal!! 

It's interesting that the J&J has tons of side effects, too. I didn't know that it would! I mean, probably it was in their trial data, but I haven't read it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm glad you're back to normal!! 

It's interesting that the J&J has tons of side effects, too. I didn't know that it would! I mean, probably it was in their trial data, but I haven't read it. 

Ds's only side effect from J&J was site injection soreness, so I thought "sign me up for that one" because Moderna left my daughter sick for four days.  Nope, I got the full menu of suffering. After a year of fiercely protecting DS I do wonder, had he caught Covid, if he'd be one of those Typhoid Mary types that just spreads it to everyone else without getting sick himself.  I do not want to find that out the hard way.  This is the main reason I get so irritated at the school spread statistics.  We just have no way to trace how often asymptomatic kids spread Covid throughout their communities and I do not trust those little petri dishes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

My husband and I get our second Pfizer shots on Saturday and I am terrified...

Of side effects? For the second shot,  I was slightly worried and made contingency plans for the few days after (including telling my kids that Easter dinner might not happen) but aside from a very slight headache and a slight sore arm, it was a non-event.  My dh has fatigue for a day or two but a good night's sleep seemed to solve it.  

My 17yods had his first Pfizer yesterday.  Said his arm was sore this morning but that was it.  He doesn't have a very high pain tolerance so I was surprised he wasn't complaining more.

Hopeful that all goes well for you!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Why do you say this?  I had zero side effects to my 1st Pfizer shot on Tuesday.  DH just had a sore arm.  My GYN had no side effects for either of her shots, but her son and DIL were terribly sick after their shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Why do you say this?  I had zero side effects to my 1st Pfizer shot on Tuesday.  DH just had a sore arm.  My GYN had no side effects for either of her shots, but her son and DIL were terribly sick after their shot.

Because I'm a bit irrational and I'll feel relieved when I feel my immune system doing its stuff 😉 . But I'm sure an immune system is capable of doing its stuff without me noticing, too!!!

• Like 1