Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

28 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is the main reason I get so irritated at the school spread statistics.  We just have no way to trace how often asymptomatic kids spread Covid throughout their communities and I do not trust those little petri dishes.

I think they do have some studies that work with that, though... like, comparing how the contacts of the kids who go to school are doing, compared to kids who go to social gatherings of other kinds. 

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

It was a bit like a sunburn.  It wasn't painful, but my skin felt weirdly abraded.  I probably should have taken my temperature when I was shivering, but I just couldn't bring myself to get up and find the thermometer or direct DH to one of several places it could be.  

It was the only way to spin it where I didn't look like a complete wimp because that shot kicked my butt.  I kinda thought I'd avoid that with the single dose shot, but nope.  I'm happy to report that today I am completely back to normal

I have that kind of sunburn skin sensitivity as part of my autoimmune disorder. I always thought that it was nerve related?  Not sure though. 

53 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think they do have some studies that work with that, though... like, comparing how the contacts of the kids who go to school are doing, compared to kids who go to social gatherings of other kinds. 

There seem to be a lot of places without the political will to gather this information.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JanOH said:

Of side effects? For the second shot,  I was slightly worried and made contingency plans for the few days after (including telling my kids that Easter dinner might not happen) but aside from a very slight headache and a slight sore arm, it was a non-event.  My dh has fatigue for a day or two but a good night's sleep seemed to solve it.  

My 17yods had his first Pfizer yesterday.  Said his arm was sore this morning but that was it.  He doesn't have a very high pain tolerance so I was surprised he wasn't complaining more.

Hopeful that all goes well for you!

Because I talked my husband into it based on this board. What if he has a bad reaction and dies? It will be all my fault. 

30 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I am cold, I am cold, I am cold.

I was just coming here to post the same thing.  DH and I got our second doses of Pfizer yesterday morning.  Both felt fine all day, although by evening I was feeling a bit queasy.  But the time we went to sleep we had very sore arms and were both absolutely FREEZING!  No fevers, just so, so cold. Bundled up in fleeces and blankets and went to sleep.   We woke briefly in the middle of the night -- I was no longer cold but still slightly nauseated.  This morning I have the faintest of headaches but am otherwise completely fine.  DH is also well. 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Because I talked my husband into it based on this board. What if he has a bad reaction and dies? It will be all my fault. 

Would it be your fault if he didn't get it and died of Covid?  It wouldn't be your fault either way.  Disease carries risk, vaccines, in the case, less risk;driving has risk. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Then he'll at least be posthumously famous? 😛 He'd be in a very small group. 

Sorry, I don't mean to downplay your concerns, and I hope he doesn't have a bad reaction and neither of you regrets the vaccine. But I do think that you should feel like you've protected him, not like you've put him in danger. Truly I do. 

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

If this is what the vaccine does, no way do I ever  want to risk COVID.

That was my thoughts exactly. And then a 25 year old friend of mine came down with covid and she felt colder, hurt more and worse fevers. I'm so thankful for the vaccination.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I posted earlier that ds17 didn't want the vaccine because he's sure he won't get it and won't get sick, and besides, had probably already had it (very doubtful). Because of his age, we decided not to force it, but to leave it up to him. That was several weeks ago. As the reports for younger people have been coming in, and his age group came up, we backtracked. Even though the vaccine "is dumb" (his words), we signed him up anyway, and he got his first Pfizer this morning. He takes few precautions and feels invincible, and we felt it was in his best interests to push the issue. Other than his above statement, he didn't push back too hard. We told him he didn't have to tell anybody he had gotten it (we live in an area, or at least in circles, that takes the view that it's all overblown), but we wanted him vaccinated. Thankfully, cases here are currently dropping, so hopefully he will be able to be more fully immunized before they start rising again.

• Like 14

Yesterday DS (17) and I had our second shots.  DS has a sore arm and some mild flu type feelings.  Nothing too terrible, just enough to ask for Advil before schoolwork.

I’m feeling it, hard.  My arm feels like a cartoon character after getting hit with an anvil - like a giant red balloon.  Nothing visible, but ouch.  It’s much more than a tetanus shot.  I have some aches and pains along the tops of my arms, and down my spine.  Skin sensitivity, which I get whenever sick.  Tired. But glad to have gotten the shot!

So far, no worsening symptoms from my other health stuff, so all good on that front.  Whew.

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I posted earlier that ds17 didn't want the vaccine because he's sure he won't get it and won't get sick, and besides, had probably already had it (very doubtful). Because of his age, we decided not to force it, but to leave it up to him. That was several weeks ago. As the reports for younger people have been coming in, and his age group came up, we backtracked. Even though the vaccine "is dumb" (his words), we signed him up anyway, and he got his first Pfizer this morning. He takes few precautions and feels invincible, and we felt it was in his best interests to push the issue. Other than his above statement, he didn't push back too hard. We told him he didn't have to tell anybody he had gotten it (we live in an area, or at least in circles, that takes the view that it's all overblown), but we wanted him vaccinated. Thankfully, cases here are currently dropping, so hopefully he will be able to be more fully immunized before they start rising again.

Yeah... our 17yo still at home will not. Homeschooling has made me the enemy. He is so mad that he cannot participate in his activities while all of his friends from public school are living a normal life, most without masks. My husband reluctantly agreed for himself, but has put his foot down on making our son have it.  He will be back in public school for his senior year next year. 

• Sad 6

1 week after getting the first Moderna vaccine.  I was completely fine until last night when my injection started itching and by this morning I have a 3 inch diameter hard, red, hot lump on my injection site.  I would have expected that last week but I think it’s weird a week later.  It hurts like it did the second day.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

13 minutes ago, Cnew02 said:

1 week after getting the first Moderna vaccine.  I was completely fine until last night when my injection started itching and by this morning I have a 3 inch diameter hard, red, hot lump on my injection site.  I would have expected that last week but I think it’s weird a week later.  It hurts like it did the second day.  

Weird. I hope it goes away soon!! 

I've heard of belated stuff with Moderna. I wonder what the mechanism is?? 

3 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

This could be COVID arm according to your description. Happens in about 2% to 9% in 7 to 10 days after the moderna vaccine. According to this article dated Jan went away 2-3 days after icing. More info here. 

https://kmph.com/news/local/moderna-vaccine-causing-covid-arm-among-some-patients

Thank you!  I had no idea, but it feels better knowing that I’m not just a weirdo! It’s exactly like described in the article, itchy after exactly 1 week then a lump the next morning.  

Edited by Cnew02
  • Like 4

Two relatives of mine got their 2nd Moderna shots in the last week. One only had fatigue -- funny (ironic) to me because I would have expected this relative to have more post-vaccine reactions because they are generally pretty sensitive to medications. The other one got their shot midday yesterday and by the evening had chills, muscle aches, and "the worst headache I've ever had." Today, that relative says they feel like they've been hit by a truck and still have a low grade fever (99.7 -- it went up to 102.5 last night).

It's been so interesting to see our different reactions...

• Like 4

Dh got second Moderna yesterday. Woke up with chills and aches around 5:00 am. Managed to get out of bed and shower around 8:30. He worked for a couple hours (works from home) and went back to bed around noon and is still there 3 hours later. So very uncomfortable with chills and body aches overnight. Today he is extremely fatigued. I got my second shot today around noon so I am waiting with a sense of impending doom. Hopefully Dh will bounce back before I go down. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think it's maybe less annoying to yourself to phrase it as "your body did a really good job generating an immune response"? 

Honestly, I don't look forward to feeling sick from the second shot AT ALL, but at the end of the day, I'll be more worried if I don't feel sick than if I do! 

Yes. I am a little concerned that neither of my parents had side effects from either of their PFizer shots.  (They are both 76)

(I hope it is because they have both been taking larger doses of D3 since last summer when I encouraged them to add it to their vitamin regimen -- they thought they were because of what was in their multi-vitamins but I was able to convince them that was not enough because the kids and I were taking separate D3, and more -- 2000 mcg - 5000 mcg

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Yes. I am a little concerned that neither of my parents had side effects from either of their PFizer shots.  (They are both 76)

I've heard that older people tend to not have as many side effects due to their immune systems being less reactive.  That's certainly been the case with the elderly people we know who have been vaccinated.  

Here's one of many articles about it:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-moderna-pfizer-vaccine-side-effects-age-sex-dose-2021-3

• Like 4

For those worried that they did not have side effects I did not have any side effects at all with the first Moderna. A week later I had a mammogram recheck. I got cleared on the mammogram but my lymph nodes were reactive. I have to go back 8 weeks after the second shot to confirm it was just the vaccine causing it. Anyway- I figured that the fact that my lymph nodes were showing reactive on ultrasound was proof something was happening even though I didn’t have any side effects at all. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 8

48+ hours after second Pfizer shot and I am a little achy and feel like I am getting the flu.  Technically no fever but it is higher than my typical temp.  I am also extremely tired.  I fell asleep for over an hour.   Edit: I also have a slight sore throat, which I also had 24 hours after first dose.

Edited by Ditto
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

FWIW--DS22 is two weeks out from his second Pfizer and he had no side effects from either of them. I kept questioning him and he said maybe if he really, really thought about it he could say his arm was *very* slightly sore. But only if he concentrated hard. I'm sure he said that just to get me to leave him alone. 😉 I still believe he's well protected.

• Like 6

On 4/6/2021 at 5:18 PM, Not_a_Number said:

This was why I didn't let DH drive himself from his shots, lol! He was convinced he was going to be safe to drive, and let's just say I was not 😉 . 

TThis is why even though my county opened up to everyone earlier than my best friend's county, I'm not encouraging her to drive the nearly 3 hours each way to get it. Too risk to drive that much if you don't know how you will react. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:50 PM, Spryte said:

Vaccine t-shirts!  Is that a thing?  We need them.

Our vaccine clinic sometimes has rubber bracelets that say “Got the shot.” I was pretty excited that they had them the day we went.  🤣

Ooh, I was thinking today, I wish I had a pin or bracelet so that lady doing my pedicure would know I was vaccinated, in case that made her feel safer to work on me.  (first one in over a year! I waited until I'd had my 2nd vaccine and it had kicked in) 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:06 AM, theelfqueen said:

Had my first Pfizer today.

Nobody had a dumb sticker. I am a scrapbooker. I NEED stickers!!! 

No sticker where I was either, although you got a bar code sticker with your info on it to wear on your shirt. They scanned that at each stage and before vaccinating you - like an id bracelet in the hospital, but a sticker. I didn't think to keep it though. 

On 4/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, RootAnn said:

That's to keep all the Gates tracker molecules trapped so they work better to target the 5G waves at your body.

<wink>

No, silly. It's to keep the microchip from falling out!

18 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Went to my chiropractor today.  He got his vaccination!  I mention this here because chiropractors are often anti-vax. 

Ugh, what is with that? Mine has a sign on the door that masks are required by the county, but you can still be seen without on or something like that, and when I go in if they don't have a client they often have their own masks off. One actually wears a bandanna type with some quote about freedom on it. If I hadn't been in so much pain I would have quit. As it is, I have the form to cancel my membership on my desk to sign and send in...seems that massage and PT are helping more anyway. 

I actually unfollowed a local chiro who tried to tell someone they could heal a hernia with lemongrass oil, rather than surgery. Quack!

16 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I got my vaccine yesterday.  I got the Johnson and Johnson at a mass vaccination site.  I had flashbacks to my Army shots.  The Maryland National Guard was a MACHINE.  I left my car and didn't break my stride until I was in the chair getting a shot.  I took off my hoodie while walking with a purpose through the checkpoints so I wouldn't slow up their operation. 😄

Yup, the national guard here was the same. amazing. (and actually, made us somberly realize how we COULD have used them for mass testing sites, early on, and maybe prevented a lot of spread...sigh)

7 hours ago, TexasProud said:

My husband and I get our second Pfizer shots on Saturday and I am terrified...

If it helps, I had fewer side effects for my 2nd Pfizer than my first. As for actual danger, the drive their will likely be the most dangerous part. 

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah... our 17yo still at home will not. Homeschooling has made me the enemy. He is so mad that he cannot participate in his activities while all of his friends from public school are living a normal life, most without masks. My husband reluctantly agreed for himself, but has put his foot down on making our son have it.  He will be back in public school for his senior year next year. 

See, I'd look at that as incentive to be vaccinated - get vaccinated and you can socialize more?

• Like 2

Got my first vaccine today - Pfizer. 

I have not heard from Bill Gates yet on the status of my microchip.  Do you think that it's active yet? 

I have not gotten horns.

I have not turned into a Democrat.

And I have not turned purple with pink polka dots.

On a serious note:  it's been two hours and so far no side effects of any kind but it might be a bit early for those to show up?  I was able to stop at the store on the way home and got ingredients for dinner.  If I still feel fine I will be grilling.  If not, I will have dh run out and pick up take out. 

I don't really know what to expect on side effects or not since I take an immuno-regulator that either pumps up or suppresses the immune system depending on whether it is under or over - active. 

• Like 10

My 16 year old got her first Pfizer 6 hours ago!  She has ZERO complaints so far other than a very slightly sore arm and is thrilled to have vaccine #1 in the books.  She is first in our family, I had to drive her out of town a bit for a clinic.  I have to say in our state, getting a 16 year old vaccinated is hard.  Every sign up is different.  Under 18's can ONLY have the Pfizer.  Not every clinic reveals what they're using, some won't do under 18, some switch regularly, blah blah blah.  I had been trying since our state opened but it was hours and hours and maddening trying to get something that would work.  Anyway - this rural community had a one day mass vax clinic.  Everyone returns in exactly 3 weeks. Easiest thing ever, well worth the 90 minute drive to get her done.  I am going to feel WAY more comfortable sending her to in masked/distanced in person things with this done.  

But DH and I have appointments in the books for super easy and local clinics coming in about 2 weeks.  

DD says the 5G is activating, she's getting good reception!  😂

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

I spoke too soon about my symptoms being over. I woke up feeling 100 percent today and did all my normal things feeling great.  I went to my garden plot to unload some cattle panels that have been zip-tied to the roof of my minivan for two days. (I bought them on the way home from my vaccine since I was already way out in the country.) Y'all, I had to rush home with a quickness.  My body couldn't decide it it wanted to go to the bathroom, throw up, or pass out.  There was a chance of all three.  That was the longest 3 mile drive of my life; two lights and a 25MPH speed limit.  I made it, but I'm traumatized.  I felt young this morning but now I am decrepit.  

Dd told me her symptoms came in waves.  I didn't know about the waves!!! Nobody mentioned waves!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I spoke too soon about my symptoms being over. I woke up feeling 100 percent today and did all my normal things feeling great.  I went to my garden plot to unload some cattle panels that have been zip-tied to the roof of my minivan for two days. (I bought them on the way home from my vaccine since I was already way out in the country.) Y'all, I had to rush home with a quickness.  My body couldn't decide it it wanted to go to the bathroom, throw up, or pass out.  There was a chance of all three.  That was the longest 3 mile drive of my life; two lights and a 25MPH speed limit.  I made it, but I'm traumatized.  I felt young this morning but now I am decrepit.  

Dd told me her symptoms came in waves.  I didn't know about the waves!!! Nobody mentioned waves!!!

We definitely had waves over here, too. I haven't had my 2nd shot but I'm not looking forward to it!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

Yes!  Waves!  Completely unprepared for the waves here, too.  Young to decrepit and back again - and again and again.  What is that about?  Ugh.

Glad you made it home.  

I’ve given up here, and gone to bed.

• Sad 3

Just now, Spryte said:

Yes!  Waves!  Completely unprepared for the waves here, too.  Young to decrepit and back again - and again and again.  What is that about?  Ugh.

Glad you made it home.  

I’ve given up here, and gone to bed.

I'm going to just take a few days off around the vaccine 😛 . The kids can have a vacation... 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm going to just take a few days off around the vaccine 😛 . The kids can have a vacation... 

You are wise.  Try not to get three miles from a bathroom at the 48 hour mark. 🤣 I'm off to give that v-safe check-in a piece of my mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

You are wise.  Try not to get three miles from a bathroom at the 48 hour mark. 🤣 I'm off to give that v-safe check-in a piece of my mind!

Oh, don't worry, I won't 😛 . I already have a family member who had stomach issues after the 2nd shot... and it was like 72 hours later, too. So I know this vaccine is weird. 

8 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I am cold, I am cold, I am cold. Whine, whine, whine....😊

Got vaccinated yesterday, Pfizer. One of those max vaccinations where they do it in the car. It was a marvel to behold.

I don't think I have felt colder in my life. Drinking copious amounts of tea. A kind friend dropped off soup and bread for lunch. Another will drop off dinner. We have an agreement among friends that we will do that for vaccination days since pretty much all of us got vaccinated as a couple. We are the last ones.

I am feeling pampered though, under a heated blanket, warm food not prepared by me in a while. A bit of fatigue so I am going to park myself in bed today and watch movies. DH the brave, got up and is at work. He is planning to take the afternoon off. 

Nap, warm blanket, soup, movies....sounds like a good way to spend the day while my body does what it is supposed to do.

If this is what the vaccine does, no way do I ever  want to risk COVID. I should maybe look at the Hannibal Lecter mask by Will.i.am. Have my own personal ecosystem with me always. 

Dh and I are on opposite sides of an age cutoff, so he got to go before me.  I have my first appointment Saturday (Pfizer).  Yay!  Crossing my fingers that all goes well!  Dh barely had a sore arm (also Pfizer) - my kids have actually all had at least their first vaccinations (yes, they have more co-morbidities than I) and two had more of a reaction than Dh (one Pfizer, two Moderna)...  my parents have had Moderna x2, and I think the biggest reaction was my dad's second.  My one kid who's fully vaccinated had their biggest reaction after Pfizer #1.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

The stomach upset thing is real people. My friend says she would have had an accident if she did not leap out of bed.

I had to wait for TWO lights and endure a 25 mph speed limit on my harrowing 3-mile journey. I'm not the type to discuss GI distress in casual conversation, but I REALLY wish I'd been warned about this possibility.  I would have just used the port-a-potties that were on site. I did not know how the desperation would escalate.  I thought that I was past all this this morning when I woke up feeling fine.  

• Sad 3

My mom got covid arm about a week after her first moderna and no symptoms with second shot.

My dad got no symptoms with first moderns other than the normal slightly sore arm, but the second one made him feel like he had severe flu.  It lasted about 12 hours and then started to improve and he was back to normal by 36 hours.

DH got first moderna 3 days ago and only has the typical sore arm.  He scheduled a vacation day for the day after the second shot because he is expecting it to be unpleasant.

I got my first Pfizer shot yesterday morning and was slightly achy last night.  Today I have headache, mild sore throat, and mild all-over achiness.

• Like 4

Just now, kand said:

If it makes you feel better, no one in my extended family has had that. And two of us have had Moderna, and nothing GI whatsoever. I'd guess it's not one of the more frequent effects, as I've heard very few people mention it. Headache seems to be the most frequent one I hear with Moderna (besides sore arm).

My FIL had stomach cramps both times and threw up the first time, so I've seen GI issues in this family. The other two fully vaccinated people just had flu-like symptoms. 

• Sad 1

Dh (53) and dd (20) got the Jannsen at noon today. Dh feels fine. Dd has a sore arm, legs ache, feels cold and tired, and went to bed after just a bite of dinner. 

eta: spoke too soon about dh. He is now also achy and feels cold. He went to bed.

im 48+ hours out from my first Pfizer. I’ve been tired today and indulged in a late afternoon nap. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

I did have a little GI upset the day after my 2nd Pfizer, but not more than I would expect after eating the comfort foods I'd stocked up on in case I felt poorly. I actually felt fine, but ate the candy, cookies, and chips and dip anyway, lol. So...I'm pretty sure that's why my tummy was upset the next morning! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Spoke too soon. Fatigued and fluey achy. But since that's how I feel 80 % of the time it isn't so bad. I have slept for the past hour. (This is actually less bad than a fibro flare- at least so far). We’ll see how I feel over the next couple of days. 

That's terrible! It's a miracle you get anything done if you feel like you're dragging that often.

Guys, you do not understand how put out I am about this reaction.  I'm the one in the family that rarely gets sick.  I'm the high energy person who never simply walks up the steps; I bounce.  I got my shot Tuesday afternoon.  I stopped at Tractor Supply on the way home and cut and loaded cattle panels onto my roof rack (two 16-foot cattle panels cut in half are significantly cheaper than four 8-foot cattle panels.) I felt NOTHING until about 8 hours in.  That's when the night of shivering began followed by a day of lounging.  I rested!  I did nothing yesterday!  Today when I woke up feeling just FINE, I figured it was all over.  I was blindsided.  I have a cast iron stomach and a system that almost never gives me any trouble.  I haven't thrown up in years.  Now I'm feeling a bit betrayed by my body.  My stomach, which usually registers no sensation at all . . .just a normal body part I don't think about, feels like it's been through something and needs a rest. It's unsettling.

I don't know where @Dreamergalgot all of her vaccine recovery wisdom.  My friends are a bunch of punks who didn't warn me about squat. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Spoke too soon. Fatigued and fluey achy. But since that's how I feel 80 % of the time it isn't so bad. I have slept for the past hour. (This is actually less bad than a fibro flare- at least so far). We’ll see how I feel over the next couple of days. 

I felt the same after my first shot.....I also have fibromyalgia, hashimoto’s, and possibly some additional yet to be diagnosed autoimmune things going on. I’d told dh I wasn’t sure I’d notice any side effects....I have fatigue, feel cruddy, and have muscle and joint pain most days.....hoping the second dose isn’t much worse. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

That's terrible! It's a miracle you get anything done if you feel like you're dragging that often.

Guys, you do not understand how put out I am about this reaction.  I'm the one in the family that rarely gets sick.  I'm the high energy person who never simply walks up the steps; I bounce.  I got my shot Tuesday afternoon.  I stopped at Tractor Supply on the way home and cut and loaded cattle panels onto my roof rack (two 16-foot cattle panels cut in half are significantly cheaper than four 8-foot cattle panels.) I felt NOTHING until about 8 hours in.  That's when the night of shivering began followed by a day of lounging.  I rested!  I did nothing yesterday!  Today when I woke up feeling just FINE, I figured it was all over.  I was blindsided.  I have a cast iron stomach and a system that almost never gives me any trouble.  I haven't thrown up in years.  Now I'm feeling a bit betrayed by my body.  My stomach, which usually registers no sensation at all . . .just a normal body part I don't think about, feels like it's been through something and needs a rest. It's unsettling.

I don't know where @Dreamergalgot all of her vaccine recovery wisdom.  My friends are a bunch of punks who didn't warn me about squat. 

I often don’t know if I have the actual flu at first.  My first clue is often when other family members also get sick. 

I know that you are struggling with this but the experience of people who have long Covid are how I have felt for 30 plus years.  If I had been able to avoid all these years of chronic pain and fatigue in exchange for a couple of days to a week of discomfort I would have made the exchange in an instant  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Cnew02 said:

Sorry this is only the daily Mail but you’re not the only one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9225235/Rare-COVID-arm-effect-leaves-people-got-Modernas-shot-itchy-red-splotch.html

I have a feeling I read something about it in the trial data.

sorry I see that someone already linked you an article!  I should have read the whole thread first 

Edited by Ausmumof3

I am not pushing the vaccine on the other people in my family that are eligible, but I am setting an example & also keeping up my running commentary on all things covid / vaccine. 

The two young adults who are eligible determined on their own (after I answered their questions) to get the shot. I scored my under-18 kid a Pfizer spot this afternoon one state over. It looks like that state doesn't mind other state's residents coming in & poaching therir spots. (They had openings all day today, but only one slot tomorrow.) This puts shot #2 at finals week so I didn't reserve an appointment, but I think it'll be ok to delay a couple days until finals are over.

Yay for the actual possibility of them being fully vaccinated for their summer jobs! (I have three younger kids that aren't eligible yet. We'll cross that road when we get to it.)

• Like 10

18 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Dh got second Moderna yesterday. Woke up with chills and aches around 5:00 am. Managed to get out of bed and shower around 8:30. He worked for a couple hours (works from home) and went back to bed around noon and is still there 3 hours later. So very uncomfortable with chills and body aches overnight. Today he is extremely fatigued. I got my second shot today around noon so I am waiting with a sense of impending doom. Hopefully Dh will bounce back before I go down. 

Quoting myself here. Dh is now approaching 48 hrs post second Moderna. He is better today. He got up on time and got to work. He says he just feels really run down the way you do after you’ve been sick. So he had a pretty serious bout of fatigue/chills/fever/aches. He says he feels better but between y’all and me he looks like crap. Definitely had a rough go of it. Maybe this is what people mean when they say they got the flu from the flu shot. I guarantee there would be no more flu shots here if this was the reaction. 

I’m approaching 24 hours post shot with just some mild arm soreness. Hoping not to have an even more delayed reaction. Surprised it was worse for Dh. I am the one who gets migraines and GI upset triggered by just about any kind of physical stress. I did really rest up and hydrate before and after my shot but who knows?

So recap for my family so far:

Dh- Moderna #1 mild arm soreness

Moderna #2 pretty significant  flu symptoms for 36 hours or so 

Me- Moderna #1 mild soreness

Moderna #2 mild soreness (so far...24 hours post shot)

Ds 18 yo- Phizer #1 - no side effects

Ds 22 yo- Phizer #1- no side effects

But here is something crazy if we are crowd sourcing reactions- Ds 22 yo texted me joking that chapped lips must be a side effect. He said he has never had chapped lips or used chapstick in his life but had to run out on his lunch hour to buy some because his lips were crazy chapped. He said he has never experienced anything like that and it happened the day after his shot. I do know there have been some reports of skin sensitivities so I thought I throw that out there. I am not saying chapped lips are a side effect!

• Like 4

24 hours post-second Pfizer I have a slightly sore arm.  I feel a pinch and tightness when I move it.  No other symptoms thus far.

With the first dose, I started the chills 4-5 hours the injection.  I did not feel ill, I just couldn't get warm.  After huddling under a blanket for several hours, I took a hot bath and went to bed very early.  My arm was very sore, I woke up every time I rolled on it. The next morning I felt as if I was coming down with something, but by noon, I bounced back.  Other than a sore arm, all symptoms were gone.  

Based on my reaction to the first dose, I had prepared for a couple of sick days.  Now I have no excuse to malinger.

Dh says his only reaction to his first does of Moderna was a sore arm.  Since we all suffer when he is sick, I believe him.

• Like 5

Also part of my vaccination experience- 

I went to Walmart like I did for my first shot. I was waiting next to an older man I had also seen my first time. He was so nervous. Nervous about the vaccine, nervous about still getting Covid. You could tell he was just really stressed and conflicted about even getting it. But he was there having gotten it and wearing his mask. Probably in his 70s. 

I have been nervous all along and while I was there my Dh was home in bed miserable from his second shot. The older man engaged me in small talk and I tried to commiserate and encourage him.

Also in the post vaccine waiting area was an older man in his 70s or 80s. He was unmasked and waiting for a prescription. He proceeded to engage us about the vaccine and masks and why he was against both. Ugh. So ugh. You do you, but sitting in the waiting area heckling two nervous people that just got their shot is not nice. Grr. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3