Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

5 hours ago, Junie said:

I had a very mild reaction to the first dose (Pfizer).  Just a little bit of a sore arm that only lasted a few hours.

Maybe I had a headache?  I have chronic migraines, so impossible to tell if it was related to the vaccine.

Maybe I had sore joints?  I have RA, so again impossible to tell.

I'm not really sure what to expect this time around, but I am so, so glad for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Best wishes.

Me too. My 2nd is Weds! My DH had his first Pfizer over the weekend and he had nothing, except a very mildly sore arm. 

• Like 4

3 days past Pfizer #2, and I have COVID arm, ack! So far, three raised, itchy bumps on the arm in which I was vaccinated.  [ETA: And...now my thigh. Same side.] They look and feel like mosquito bites. Supposedly this means a good immune response. 🙂

I also still have a bit of a headache.

DH seems fully recovered from his 2nd shot.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

I'm just back from the "Anointed Temple of Praise" (aka Kaiser Parking Structure # 2) and I'm now fully vaccinated with Moderna. Woo hoo!

Unlike my first shot, where my arm almost instantly felt sore, so far no reaction yet.

I did check both arms on the way home to compare them for any signs of tenderness. First the non-injection right arm (which obviously felt normal). Then the left (injection side arm).

The left arm had no tenderness, but for a moment I was alarmed that the skin at the injection site was all raised and deformed. What the heck is that?

Then I realized they put a bandaid on me :tongue:

What a maroon!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

4 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Dd had her first Moderna shot today. So far, she is only complaining about a sore arm. Unfortunately, this means that her second shot will be the day that finals start for her. 🙄 Oops. Maybe she will be one of the lucky ones who has a bit of a headache, pops an ibuprofen, and goes about her day. I hope so, anyway!

Can she delay the second shot until finals are over just in case she does have a reaction?  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Corraleno said:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-women-experience-stronger-side-effects-to-covid-19-vaccines#A-common-occurrence

"Experts suspect that in women, particularly premenopausal women, the levels of estrogen help activate the immune response to illness and, therefore, to vaccines. Men, on the other hand, have more testosterone, a hormone that can somewhat dampen or slow down the same response.
In the past, Schlesinger said, a stronger response in females has been seen and studied in vaccines for yellow fever, DPT, influenza, and other illnesses. Schlesinger said estrogen encourages the body to produce more T-cells, the reactor cells that protect us, when a vaccine is introduced. Thus, he said, we see the quicker and stronger response many women experience."

I wonder if a woman's time of month might have an effect if estrogen levels play a role? 

I've also been hearing reports about the vaccine affecting some women's cycles (most likely temporary)—I wonder now if that possibility is linked to the same? Fascinating stuff! 

• Like 5

TMI, but, is anyone seeing or hearing anything about post vaccine bleeding in women? I hadn’t connected the dots to the vaccine until I just read something suggesting there are many reports in VAERS. The info was from a vaccine contrarian but just wondered if anyone knew anything about that side effect?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

TMI, but, is anyone seeing or hearing anything about post vaccine bleeding in women? I hadn’t connected the dots to the vaccine until I just read something suggesting there are many reports in VAERS. The info was from a vaccine contrarian but just wondered if anyone knew anything about that side effect?

I've been wondering this, too, actually. I remembered that someone mentioned it, because something is off with my timing this month 😛 . 

Mind you, I'm not regular in the best of times, so it could be random... but not if lots of people are reporting it! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kand said:

I’m thinking the progesterone theory might not make a lot of sense, because so far it’s appearing there are actually fewer miscarriages in the vaccine groups in the non-vaccine groups, and you would think if it was dropping progesterone, that they would be in effect seen there. It did say that in that flu study the progesterone effect was non-significant.

i’m not personally concerned about it as a side effect, only that it would be nice to know whether we could attribute it to that, to know whether it’s something that warrants a follow up with the doctor. I assume if it doesn’t happen again next month, it’s nothing.

Well, I'll report that I totally forgot about this issue until I looked here -- I was just wondering what the heck was up with my timing, since I was pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that it hadn't been a month! 

And you know that I try hard to report if it was a confirmation bias issue 😉 . 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, kand said:

That article links to a Reddit thread about this, which I can tell has links to a lot of other Reddit threads about it, but apparently  Reddit now won’t let you read unless you are in the app 🙄, which I refuse to do. So, if anyone else sees anything interesting there, I’d love to hear. 

A different subreddit is where I’ve seen this discussed too, and why I mentioned it since I hadn’t seen it brought up here yet.

It's not something that worries me at all, to be clear. I just find the various shared experiences fascinating, and want to be prepared with knowledge. 🙂 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, kand said:

I’m thinking the progesterone theory might not make a lot of sense, because so far it’s appearing there are actually fewer miscarriages in the vaccine groups in the non-vaccine groups, and you would think if it was dropping progesterone, that they would be in effect seen there. It did say that in that flu study the progesterone effect was non-significant.

i’m not personally concerned about it as a side effect, only that it would be nice to know whether we could attribute it to that, to know whether it’s something that warrants a follow up with the doctor. I assume if it doesn’t happen again next month, it’s nothing.

Not sure if you are familiar with these, but I have found the Reddit Covid19 and Medicine boards to be helpful. You can't ask for medical advice on either but they will discuss among themselves issues such as bleeding after the vaccine and possible causes or remedies they're using.

Covid19 discusses related studies but allows readers to ask questions in a weekly thread and they do answer many of them.

Just thought I'd throw that out there if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

I wonder if a woman's time of month might have an effect if estrogen levels play a role? 

I've also been hearing reports about the vaccine affecting some women's cycles (most likely temporary)—I wonder now if that possibility is linked to the same? Fascinating stuff! 

Stress can also affect time of month and anticipating the vaccine is definitely causing stress

I was thrilled to learn yesterday that my college kid was getting her first Pfizer shot today. She had just returned to campus when we found out that all of the rest of us living with her disabled sister could get vaccinated in January--she missed it by a week. I was hoping her college would arrange to do all of the students on campus, but I think they can't vaccines for that at this time. But she's eligible due to communal dorm living and got an appointment out-of-town at a CVS. She's feeling very tired and said she fell asleep a half hour after getting home.

• Like 10

I had my second Pfizer shot Sunday morning. 6 hours later I was tired and thirsty, similar to my reaction to the first shot. 14 hours after the shot I had flu-like symptoms, fever (I never took my temp but I'm guessing it fluctuated btw 101-102), aches, headache, loss of appetite, and the bulk of those symptoms lasted 24 hours. This morning for the first time I feel mostly back to myself, though my temp is still swinging a bit and I'm incredibly spacey! So far I've lost my phone, my coffee and my water, among other things. Like I put them down and literally 30 seconds later have no idea where they might be.

I also felt really overwhelmed and pessimistic about my life yesterday, not just about feeling sick, and wanted to mention it in case anyone else experiences the same thing. If I had to do it over again I'd pick out some music and a couple shows to binge, and the only food that appealed to me was chicken soup and mango lassis. Basically, I'd set up some self-nurturing activities and food and drink beforehand, when I was in my right mind and had the energy to do it. I can't believe how much I needed to drink. I'm also glad I cleared my calendar yesterday.

After the second shot dh and I were not ecstatic, as after the first, probably because we were both a little concerned about side effects, but this morning I'm so glad to be fully vaccinated and past what seems to the intense side effect window.

Dh, whose appointment was the same time as mine, had very little in the way of side effects--he was thirsty, again, and felt spacey and less productive than usual yesterday. My side effects were pretty similar to what dd18 had with Pfizer, and she was diagnosed with Covid toes last spring. I may have been exposed to Covid when she had it in the spring, and also when dd15 had it in November. 

@MEmama I may resurrect the Covid toes thread to update that my other daughter was also diagnosed this winter. Best guess is she was exposed in November. She is part of a Covid toes family study, since both our teens have been diagnosed. Dd15 declined having a biopsy of the skin on her toes, but I was interested to hear that they have been able to isolate SARS-CoV-2 viral fragments from other teens' biopsies in this study. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Chicago and surrounding suburbs have absolutely no vaccine appointments available BUT later today, at 3:00 pm, appointments for 1st doses will become available again. Dh and I hope to get an appointment anywhere we can.

I welcome any telepathic powers sent our way to get a coveted 1st dose appointment! 👍 🤞

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I had my second Pfizer shot Sunday morning. 6 hours later I was tired and thirsty, similar to my reaction to the first shot. 14 hours after the shot I had flu-like symptoms, fever (I never took my temp but I'm guessing it fluctuated btw 101-102), aches, headache, loss of appetite, and the bulk of those symptoms lasted 24 hours. This morning for the first time I feel mostly back to myself, though my temp is still swinging a bit and I'm incredibly spacey! So far I've lost my phone, my coffee and my water, among other things. Like I put them down and literally 30 seconds later have no idea where they might be.

I also felt really overwhelmed and pessimistic about my life yesterday, not just about feeling sick, and wanted to mention it in case anyone else experiences the same thing. If I had to do it over again I'd pick out some music and a couple shows to binge, and the only food that appealed to me was chicken soup and mango lassis. Basically, I'd set up some self-nurturing activities and food and drink beforehand, when I was in my right mind and had the energy to do it. I can't believe how much I needed to drink. I'm also glad I cleared my calendar yesterday.

After the second shot dh and I were not ecstatic, as after the first, probably because we were both a little concerned about side effects, but this morning I'm so glad to be fully vaccinated and past what seems to the intense side effect window.

Dh, whose appointment was the same time as mine, had very little in the way of side effects--he was thirsty, again, and felt spacey and less productive than usual yesterday. My side effects were pretty similar to what dd18 had with Pfizer, and she was diagnosed with Covid toes last spring. I may have been exposed to Covid when she had it in the spring, and also when dd15 had it in November. 

@MEmama I may resurrect the Covid toes thread to update that my other daughter was also diagnosed this winter. Best guess is she was exposed in November. She is part of a Covid toes family study, since both our teens have been diagnosed. Dd15 declined having a biopsy of the skin on her toes, but I was interested to hear that they have been able to isolate SARS-CoV-2 viral fragments from other teens' biopsies in this study. 

The study sounds fascinating! Do you have a link for more information about what they are looking for? Thanks for letting me know it is being studied.

Also—glad you are over the worst of the side effects!

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

Any hope that not having an immediate reaction to Modera (round 2) yesterday meant smooth sailing has unfortunately gone out the window.

Had a troubled nights sleep and now have a considerable headache and a general feeling of unwellness.

Up to caffeinate and hydrate. Hope that blunts the headache and feelings of malaise. May crawl back into bed. We will see.

Still no question in my mind the protection of vaccination far (far) outweighs feeling crummy for a day--but I'm in that weird twilight space that resembles the flu. Don't think I'm running a temperature, mercifully.

Bill

• Sad 7

18 hours ago, kand said:

but apparently  Reddit now won’t let you read unless you are in the app 🙄, which I refuse to do. 

Just a note that I don't have the app but have been able to read the linked threads inside the thread you posted. Maybe try a different browser or opening the thread into a different window?

I had not heard this (bleeding) and it hasn't so far come up with us (1st shots of Pfizer/Moderna for 3 of us) but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I had not heard this (bleeding) and it hasn't so far come up with us (1st shots of Pfizer/Moderna for 3 of us) but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

I hadn't heard about it until reading it here last night but then saw it in the news this morning.  

• Like 2

I will report in, for data purposes! Dh and I both had vaccines Friday! He got J&J and had a pretty robust immune response experience from 8 hours after until about 48 hours after: chills, sweating, low fever, and tired. He kept flexing his neck but said it didn't hurt. He took naps and worked on his computer. He chugged water, because y'all told me it would help. 🙂

I got my first moderna and had a sore, slightly knotted spot at the injection site for about 36 hours, but had no other issues. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

The study sounds fascinating! Do you have a link for more information about what they are looking for? Thanks for letting me know it is being studied.

Searched quickly for info and couldn't find anything, but I'll let you know when I do.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kand said:

If you happen to know where you saw it, can you point me that way? I’m still curious if it’s actually related or just any of the women having that random thing happened that month is attributing it to their vaccine.

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/can-covid-vaccine-affect-my-period?fbclid=IwAR0C6wQMApnIyKgB5UBksdXRyZrUjupylEJz3ZAkqCBvRc_x1BFg1nL5um0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Any hope that not having an immediate reaction to Modera (round 2) yesterday meant smooth sailing has unfortunately gone out the window.

Had a troubled nights sleep and now have a considerable headache and a general feeling of unwellness.

Up to caffeinate and hydrate. Hope that blunts the headache and feelings of malaise. May crawl back into bed. We will see.

Still no question in my mind the protection of vaccination far (far) outweighs feeling crummy for a day--but I'm in that weird twilight space that resembles the flu. Don't think I'm running a temperature, mercifully.

Bill

I was wondering how you were doing, since we got our shots at almost the exact same time yesterday.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  I hope it doesn't last long.

I'm doing pretty well.  I have a pretty bad headache, but it's just like the ones I get several times a week, so there's no telling if it's from the vaccine or not.

Dh got his shot yesterday, too.  He has some aches and fatigue, but is otherwise feeling fine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ugh. It reads like, "Silly women, you are just making all this up or it is because you are stressed and don't realize it."

I suspect there will be a hormonal link to the vaccines found eventually to explain the late, early, heavy, extra long, etc periods. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Ugh. It reads like, "Silly women, you are just making all this up or it is because you are stressed and don't realize it."

I suspect there will be a hormonal link to the vaccines found eventually to explain the late, early, heavy, extra long, etc periods. 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 🤬🤬🤬🤬

So typical.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

I was wondering how you were doing, since we got our shots at almost the exact same time yesterday.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  I hope it doesn't last long.

I'm doing pretty well.  I have a pretty bad headache, but it's just like the ones I get several times a week, so there's no telling if it's from the vaccine or not.

Dh got his shot yesterday, too.  He has some aches and fatigue, but is otherwise feeling fine.

I'm bouncing back. The headache is not gone away entirely, but I've been feeling well enough to be out doing yard-chores (taking a quick break at the moment) and have not needed to crawl back into bed--which upon waking I fully expected would be today's plan.

I do think the coffee and heavy hydration helped me considerably. 

I rarely get headaches, but woke up (if that's what we call rising from a fitful sleep) with a doozy. It's just a dull headache now. 

I hope your headache passes soon. Sorry to read you experience them frequently.

Congratulations to you and your husband. What a relief to vaccinated!

Bill

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Ugh. 

For the record I am not at all stressed and the mid cycle spotting is something entirely new and I have been menstruating for 35 years. Which of course means I could be nearing my periods becoming irregular. But this would be the first sign of it. Certainly could be coincidence. But it is very strange. A headache would have been less of a coincidence because that actually happens to me sometimes. 

I guess we’ll see going forward. Right now it feels related. It happened 5 days post second Moderna shot for me. No other symptoms either shot besides a sore arm. Weird. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Exactly, that's why I didn't post it when I read it.  When I saw the headline, I thought the article would be more informative.  I also think a hormonal link to the vaccines will be found.  I worry that the people who think the vaccines will cause infertility will use this information as evidence that they are right. 

• Like 2

I'm just popping in to say my husband and I finally got appointments this Thursday for our first doses of Pfizer. 40,000 people were already in the virtual waiting room when appointments opened at 3:00 pm. The location is about 1.5 hours away but -- I don't care. Hooray! 😄

Now I am going to clean all the things and prepare good food ahead of time in case we have a robust immune response.

• Like 18

2 hours post-first shot for me and DS and so far, so good (I know it’s too early to tell). He didn’t feel a thing but mine felt like the needle was huge—it didn’t hurt, just felt big. 

The energy at the vaccination center felt like voting day to me—everyone was excited and happy and there was a communal sense of being of service, and all the workers/volunteer/national guard were soooo nice and seemed glad to be there...it was a lovely experience. 🙂 

• Like 21

33 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Now I am going to clean all the things and prepare good food ahead of time in case we have a robust immune response.

I am getting my 2nd Moderna dose on Thursday.  I don't expect to have much of a reaction but am spending tomorrow cleaning and doing laundry just in case.  Good luck!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I mostly lurk but here's our family's vaccine experiences so far

My Dad (86)  - both doses of Moderna - Sore arm and fatigue

DH, dd(25), ds(21), dd(21), ds(18)  - first dose Pfizer - mildly sore arm

dd(27)  -first dose pfizer  - broke out in hives about 6 hrs post shot, benadryl for 24 hrs after

she gets hives a couple times a year usually from food.

dsil  - J&J  - fever and muscle pain for about 12 hrs

I had the 1st dose of Pfizer with dh. Immediate onset of vomiting and nausea about 3 seconds after shot. Approx 5-6 min later it was gone like someone flipped a switch. No other symptoms. I have had similar reactions to IV meds before.

My oldest was scheduled for J&J this week. Not sure what he will do, Was reluctant to begin with

I'll update after second shots.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’m hurting all over.   Dang vaccine #1 for fooling me into thinking I’d be fine for the second one. 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

Still better than a vent!  

This, too, shall pass. 

Yeah, it’s the awful but worth it. Feel better soon!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MEmama said:

2 hours post-first shot for me and DS and so far, so good (I know it’s too early to tell). He didn’t feel a thing but mine felt like the needle was huge—it didn’t hurt, just felt big. 

The energy at the vaccination center felt like voting day to me—everyone was excited and happy and there was a communal sense of being of service, and all the workers/volunteer/national guard were soooo nice and seemed glad to be there...it was a lovely experience. 🙂 

Your second paragraph: that was true for me too. My first Moderna shot was at a hospital center and it felt like great camaraderie. 

• Like 6

I got my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Thankfully no headache! Last time the headache came within a few hours. I started with the sore arm in the evening (8am shot) but it didn't get worse and today it's actually a bit better. Overall I feel so much better after the second shot than the first. We'll see if my glands blow up - that took two days on the first shot, and my thyroid also blew up significantly. MS symptoms also became worse, but so far so good, just some extra feet numbness upon waking which went away within 20 minutes. The only weird thing that happened yesterday, which probably isn't related to the vaccine: I started falling asleep on the couch in the afternoon, but was having sleep paralysis, not unusual for me when I'm over-tired. But this time it was affecting my ears, and I kept hearing a high pitched screaming sound that was very, very painful. I always hear a high pitched tone, but I've never had ear pain. I can usually fall asleep after 5 or 6 episodes of paralysis, but the pain got me up off the couch. I hope to never experience that again! 

It was busier at the mega site than the last time I was there, but it was moving quickly. Everyone was nice, but on initial entry they weren't going to allow my husband to accompany me. We explained why and he was allowed through, but the national guard person rolled her eyes at me. He was challenged the first time, but they were much more pleasant about letting him in. Otherwise everyone was lovely, and the young man who gave me the shot was amazingly nice about moving the injection down as much as he could for me, which I think has helped avoid the severe arm pain from last time. 

Congrats to all who have been vaccinated!! I'm so happy to have both doses!!😀

Edited to add: The vaccine tricked me!! I started last night with a really bad headache and low grade fever, slept almost 8 hours (that's really good for me) and woke up a bit achy, still low grade fever. I felt so good yesterday! Like better than I usually do every day lol. Oh well. Still better than the first time and barely any arm pain. I will happily suffer any side effects to be fully vaccinated! 

Edited by dsmith
  • Like 11

My 25 year old had her second Pfizer vaccine on Monday.  She has been battling overwhelming fatigue and horrible headaches since then.  Today she says the fatigue is improving but the headaches remain.

My 21 year old had her second Pfizer on Tuesday and so far has just had the exhaustion but no headache. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

My ds32 got his second shot (Pfizer) on Monday. He felt really awful the next day. He stayed in bed all day. By late in the day, he was beginning to feel better. This is the exact same reaction his brother had. 

My second shot is in two weeks (Pfizer). I’m really dreading it because I just hate needles, plus I’ll probably feel rotten the next day. I wish it were already over. 

Im curious to know how things will look in mid July/August when, supposedly, some states will approach herd immunity if the current rates of vaccination continue.

I wanted to add: All family members so far have used drive thru/mass vaccination sites with National Guard. All experiences with them have been nothing but great. So organized. Very impressed and thankful. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Anyone hear of tooth pain or other random dental issues as vaccine symptoms ? None of them who had them have dentures or work done except fillings. 

Been comparing notes with friends and happened more with the Pfizer. Not a large percentage but like the GI issues that were minor but present  in my "research" of symptoms among our group who got the vaccine, dental issues seemed to be present too. More like tooth pain, swelling of gums then they went away after 2 or 3 days. Not enough to go to the dentist but definitely noticeable.

After the first shot, the arm pain was radiating into my jaw and my ear. I was definitely feeling pain in my top teeth on that side. It faded when the arm pain faded, which took about 5-6 days if I'm remembering correctly. Thankfully I don't have anything like that this time!

We are over week past (some of our) 2nd vaccinations so:

Me--

Pfizer 1: significant arm pain for 2.5 days--it moved into my shoulder and neck. It interfered with movement and sleep because I am a side sleeper. I had low energy in retrospect, though that could have been because the arm made sleep so hard! 

Pfizer 2: milder arm pain (I made a concerted effort to relax it during injection, drink water, move it tons after) that didn't intefere with  my sleep, even when I rolled on that side. The next day: headache, fatigue, low fever. I was still functional and all this was limited--I've felt great after that intial day after. 

Husband-

Pfizer 1: very mild arm pain

Pfizer 2: mild (but greater than shot 1) arm pain, the next day: headache and significant muscle aches (flu like). He felt fine after that day. 

Son #1 (teen)-

Pfizer 1: extremely mild arm pain, eczema like itchy rash where he received the vaccine that spread down the arm and lasted a week or two (we're not sure exactly when it started). He's not at all an allergy or eczema person, so this surprised me. 

Pfizer 2: mild arm and shoulder pain, the next day: mild fatigue, low grade fever, an enlarged lymph node on the vaccine arm that was painful initially but is getting smaller/better. (This particular teen sometimes gets swollen lymph nodes with viruses as well.) 

Son #2 (teen);

Pfizer 1: mild arm pain, developed COVID arm about a week post vaccine, which is resolving quickly. 

(no Pfizer 2 yet) 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 6

DH and I got our second Pfizer shots yesterday. After the first shot, we both had mild arm soreness for 1.5-2 days and mild fatigue. So far, after our second shot, dh has mild arm soreness and otherwise nothing. My arm isn't even sore today (slightly sore yesterday) and I was able to sleep on that side last night. I have mild fatigue today, but otherwise feel fine. 

• Like 8