Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

8 hours ago, Soror said:

As of yesterday evening dh had body aches, headache and chills. He had some fatigue and took a nap. If he had a fever it was mild and short lived I couldn't get him to take his temperature and he said he felt normal in the evening. He is still sleeping this am.

2 days past dh's second Pfizer and he's back to normal. 

He didn't really feel anything until around 20 hrs post shot. Then had headache, fatigue, chills and sore arm. He was pretty well fine by 36 hrs. His time frame of feeling bad was about the same as me except I felt worse(had a fever and more fatigue). Neither of us had anything other than a barely sore arm for the first shot . Ds also felt bad after the first shot but had a confirmed case of covid in the fall. All 3 of us had the Pfizer. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

Not sure if this fits here, but we are observing our own little anecdotal study. Fil was fully vaccinated over a month ago. Mil was hesitant and waited. Now mil has covid with symptoms.  They have not distanced from each other the entire week she's had symptoms.  So far fil is fine.

• Sad 14

Is it ok to take pain meds after you have had the shot?  I seem to remember taking pain meds (maybe it was before?) messed with the immunity.  I am about to get my period and I want to be able to take pain meds for my cramps, but I don't want to mess with anything.    I got my 2nd shot on Thursday.

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is it ok to take pain meds after you have had the shot?  I seem to remember taking pain meds (maybe it was before?) messed with the immunity.  I am about to get my period and I want to be able to take pain meds for my cramps, but I don't want to mess with anything.    I got my 2nd shot on Thursday.

I'd expect it'd be fine by now? I wouldn't personally take one right after the shot. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KeriJ said:

Not sure if this fits here, but we are observing our own little anecdotal study. Fil was fully vaccinated over a month ago. Mil was hesitant and waited. Now mil has covid with symptoms.  They have not distanced from each other the entire week she's had symptoms.  So far fil is fine.

Ugh 😞 . I hope your MIL will be OK. I'm sorry she got COVID. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It's fine. The most recent advice I've seen says to try to wait at least four hours after the vaccine before taking NSAIDs.

• Like 5

Ds1's girlfriend got her 2nd Moderna yesterday.  She had no reaction from the first one and just a sore arm and fatigue from her second.  🙂  She's 29.  

DH gets his 2nd Moderna later this week and I am so nervous for him because he always has bad reactions.  My younger two sons get their 2nd Moderna doses the following week and I'm a little nervous for them since they both live alone and far away.  Ds2 had a reaction to the first and Ds3 said he was really wiped out from his first. 

• Sad 1

Good news! I just found out that my autism kid got her J&J shot at school right before it was paused. She has been completely isolated for a year, so I’m really glad she got this done. She said she didn’t even worry much because she could clearly tell that she didn’t have any symptoms of a reaction. It is a huge relief because she is also celiac, and is always having reactions to everyday stuff. 

She still isn’t going out much because she says the vaccine isn’t proven effective in keeping vaccinated people from infecting others. 

She also told me that the nurse administering the shots told them not to take any pain relievers unless their symptoms are very extreme. That is opposite from the instructions that were given at the hospital where I got my shot. 

Do you think it depends on which manufacturer the vaccine comes from? Or should everyone just try to tough it out? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think one isn't supposed to take anti-inflammatories in order to not interfere with immune response. 

That makes sense to me, but my friends are being told to hydrate the day before, and start taking ibuprofen in the car on the way home and keep taking it on  a 4 hour schedule. 

The instructions are just so contradictory. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

Do you think it depends on which manufacturer the vaccine comes from? Or should everyone just try to tough it out? 

The CDC guidance is that it's fine to take something after getting one of the vaccines but not before. The guidance apparently applies to all of the Covid 19 vaccines.

Talk to your doctor about taking over-the-counter medicine, such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin, or antihistamines, for any pain and discomfort you may experience after getting vaccinated. You can take these medications to relieve post-vaccination side effects if you have no other medical reasons that prevent you from taking these medications normally.

It is not recommended you take these medicines before vaccination for the purpose of trying to prevent side effects.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Amy Gen said:

That makes sense to me, but my friends are being told to hydrate the day before, and start taking ibuprofen in the car on the way home and keep taking it on  a 4 hour schedule. 

The instructions are just so contradictory. 

That doesn't sound like what I've read anywhere. I mean, I'm sure they'll be more comfortable that way, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That doesn't surround like what I've read anywhere. I mean, I'm sure they'll be more comfortable that way, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. 

It isn’t like anything I’ve read either, but several of my friends have been given these instructions at the testing site. 

I wonder if the administrators are saying it so fewer people have side effects and maybe more people will be willing to get the shot? 

Just now, Amy Gen said:

It isn’t like anything I’ve read either, but several of my friends have been given these instructions at the testing site. 

I wonder if the administrators are saying it so fewer people have side effects and maybe more people will be willing to get the shot? 

That seems like a good guess. 

DH and I got our 2nd Pfizer yesterday at about 1pm.  He’s been very tired and had a brief episode of nausea last night that he didn’t mention until I had one this morning.  

I started out today ok, but as the day wore on I’ve had very uncomfortable pain all over.  I can’t tell if it’s my joints or bones, but it’s been a rough day pain wise. I finally took an Aleve and feel minimally better, like I might be able to sleep.  I really hope this doesn’t last or happen with boosters!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Amy Gen said:

There was a study I linked in one of these threads that looked at immune response in children who were given pain relievers either before or at the time of immunization, and they had lower immune responses compared to unmedicated children, and the lower levels of immunity persisted as they got older. They found no difference in response as long as the pain reliever was given 4 or more hours after the shot.

I've also seen reports saying that if you do need a pain reliever, tylenol is less likely to interfere with immune response than an NSAID like aspirin, ibuprofen, or Aleve.

• Like 6

I had my second shot yesterday afternoon.     Nothing happened that I could put down to symptoms definitely.  I was tired, headachy but that's it.   I did take Advil but not until bed time.   Today my (bad) wrist hurts and so does my knee but it turns out it's also 30-something degrees out this morning so that could explain it as well.    

I have to teach today so I plan to have Advil on hand, drink lots (I drank a lot yesterday too), eat foods that are stomach settling frequently and hopefully there won't be any problems.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, StillJessica said:

DH and I got our 2nd Pfizer yesterday at about 1pm.  He’s been very tired and had a brief episode of nausea last night that he didn’t mention until I had one this morning.  

I started out today ok, but as the day wore on I’ve had very uncomfortable pain all over.  I can’t tell if it’s my joints or bones, but it’s been a rough day pain wise. I finally took an Aleve and feel minimally better, like I might be able to sleep.  I really hope this doesn’t last or happen with boosters!

I slept fitfully, but finally settled early this morning.  When I woke up the pain was significantly less, which is probably why I could finally sleep.  I’m still achy, but I think I can go about my day normally now.  I’m going to skip my morning walk and do it this evening instead, though!  

ETA~ I hope taking Aleve 24 hours after the shot doesn’t affect my immunity, but I definitely couldn’t have endured the pain without some pain reliever.  😞

Edited by *Jessica*
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I got super sick after second moderna shot: fever, chills, no appetite, horrible muscle aches, horrible headache.  still got COVID 3 months later but mild ( like allergies/asthma).

DH got Pfizer 3 months ago, nothing but sore arm.  He got pretty sick with COVID this week.  He’s on the mend.  My kids are not vaccinated obviously and they all had COVID very mild.

That’s disappointing 😞 . You guys had positive COVID tests and whatnot? 

22 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

I slept fitfully, but finally settled early this morning.  When I woke up the pain was significantly less, which is probably why I could finally sleep.  I’m still achy, but I think I can go about my day normally now.  I’m going to skip my morning walk and do it this evening instead, though!  

ETA~ I hope taking Aleve 24 hours after the shot doesn’t affect my immunity, but I definitely couldn’t have endured the pain without some pain reliever.  😞

It shouldn't - supposedly 4 hours after the shot they saw no change in immunity. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I got super sick after second moderna shot: fever, chills, no appetite, horrible muscle aches, horrible headache.  still got COVID 3 months later but mild ( like allergies/asthma).

DH got Pfizer 3 months ago, nothing but sore arm.  He got pretty sick with COVID this week.  He’s on the mend.  My kids are not vaccinated obviously and they all had COVID very mild.

Where are you that you both managed to start getting vaccinated in December? I'm assuming then, given it is 4 weeks between doses for Moderna, and you said it has been 3 months since then. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I think they picked it up.  I hate to say it but we have braved church, wearing masks, but we needed it for our sanity.

It’s been a year... I get it. We all need our lives back for our sanity.

Hopefully the vaccines protected you somewhat. You’d have probably had worse cases if you hadn’t gotten them... still, how vexing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I think they picked it up.  I hate to say it but we have braved church, wearing masks, but we needed it for our sanity.

Do most people at your church mask?

I'm so sorry that you got it even with vaccination! I wonder which variant it was?

We had one case in my family as well, probably from outdoor theater practice. My kids mask but no-one else in the group does. The mental health benefit of the activity seemed worth the risk, I totally get needing community. We were fortunately able to keep it from spreading through the household.

• Like 1

So, I haven’t slept well since my second Pfizer shot last Wednesday. I only sleep 2-3 hours at a time and it’s taking me a bit to fall back asleep. I tried a low dose of melatonin last night for the first time ever and it did nothing, so I plan on trying a bit higher dose tonight. 

Also, my resting heart rate since Thursday has dropped into the 50s when it’s usually between 62-65. I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not. I’m not having symptoms of anything other than not sleeping so I’m going to wait a few more days and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I had my 2nd Pfizer a week ago. Felt really sick next day, ok after that. However, I still get winded going up the stairs, hiking uphill, or doing strenuous yard work. I can definitely feel I am not yet back to normal. 

Makes sense to me, when the immune system is working extra hard. Anybody else still feeling side effects a week later?

ETA: No sad faces necessary 🙂 I'm quite content to give my body time to do this job that's way more important than hiking or digging in the garden.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I had my 2nd Pfizer a week ago. Felt really sick next day, ok after that. However, I still get winded going up the stairs, hiking uphill, or doing strenuous yard work. I can definitely feel I am not yet back to normal. 

Makes sense to me, when the immune system is working extra hard. Anybody else still feeling side effects a week later?

I am not yet a week out. Four days. But I do feel it could take a bit longer than I expected. I was supposed to do a little two mile trail walk today. It rained, cold wet windy rain so I did not attempt it. I have realized after doing two loads of laundry and loading the dishwasher that it is quite wise that I did not. I felt a little winded and weak.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

ETA: No sad faces necessary 🙂 I'm quite content to give my body time to do this job that's way more important than hiking or digging in the garden.

Sorry! I've been giving "Likes" to everyone who gets vaccinated and sad faces to everyone who feels icky. Not because I don't think it's worth it, but because I figure it's unpleasant to feel icky 😉 . 

• Like 4

On 4/25/2021 at 3:07 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Just got my second shot!! Hoping for mild side effects but I’m not counting on them. Will keep you all updated. 

All right, here's my update... I feel quite sore, but otherwise pretty normal. I slept a while last night, but nothing crazy (like 9 hours, maybe.) 

I can't quite tell how much of the soreness is vaccine, because I felt sore before the vaccine -- we went kite-flying on Friday, so this was the first time in ages I actually ran around. So the symptoms are all quite mixed up, lol -- as an experiment, this is no good, because I'm mixing two unusual events. 

I do have some joint aches that are definitely vaccine. And I'm a bit out of it -- I don't FEEL like I'm out of it, but I keep doing things that are kind of silly (like continuing to pour olive oil on the sandwich when it has PLENTY of olive oil already), so I'm obviously not at a 100%. 

DH is watching the kids today, so I've spent the day lying around, which has been nice 🙂 . 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

We do but no one else does!  So we knew the risk,....  I’m actually starting to feel worse so idk if I’m truly Asymptomatic.  I’m guessing it’s the UK variant because that’s been on the rise here.

Ugh. I hope you wind up with a mild case. I'd feel really cheated if this happened, sigh. Thanks for the heads about about this possibility... I mean, I knew about it theoretically, but it's different to know people who this happened to 😞 . 

• Sad 2

Well,  I did it! I got my first Moderna shot yesterday.   I'm a super anxious person and I was feeling very torn about getting the vaccine.  I didn't want it, but I also I want to do my part to help protect the elderly and weak and vulnerable.  I felt I had to. I just want to do my part to end the craziness and get back to normal.  I was scared.   I ALWAYS think the worst thing will happen to me.  I keep worrying years down the road, there will be some awful side effect.  I felt worried I was going to have some kind of reaction on the spot.   I was told to wait 15 minutes just in case.  I was doing fine as I was getting my follow up appointment and everything.  Then I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack, I've never had one before, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.  Anyway, I'll spare you all the details, but I'm fine and I'm feeling fine this morning.  I just have a sore arm.  I'm sure I'll be fine, but now I have to sit around and feel anxious about my second dose.  

• Like 21

So I did end up feeling really tired and kind of out of it yesterday.   Headachy and body achy but I did take Advil for that.   I did make it through my classes, went home and was super lazy just sitting around reading, then went to bed early.  Slept about 10 hours, pretty much straight through.   

I feel okay today.  I just had breakfast and haven't really done much of anything so it's early to tell.  I'll see how I feel after teaching today.   Today's classes are rougher than yesterdays.   

I did cancel my usual Tuesday morning walking/yoga with my daughter since I figured I should get the extra rest and take it easy until I'm sure. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

So I did end up feeling really tired and kind of out of it yesterday.   Headachy and body achy but I did take Advil for that.   I did make it through my classes, went home and was super lazy just sitting around reading, then went to bed early.  Slept about 10 hours, pretty much straight through.   

I feel okay today.  I just had breakfast and haven't really done much of anything so it's early to tell.  I'll see how I feel after teaching today.   Today's classes are rougher than yesterdays.   

I did cancel my usual Tuesday morning walking/yoga with my daughter since I figured I should get the extra rest and take it easy until I'm sure. 

I mostly felt sore yesterday, but I think I could have managed classes if I had to. But it was nice to just lie around.

I plan to be a person again today 🙂 .

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Well,  I did it! I got my first Moderna shot yesterday.   I'm a super anxious person and I was feeling very torn about getting the vaccine.  I didn't want it, but I also I want to do my part to help protect the elderly and weak and vulnerable.  I felt I had to. I just want to do my part to end the craziness and get back to normal.  I was scared.   I ALWAYS think the worst thing will happen to me.  I keep worrying years down the road, there will be some awful side effect.  I felt worried I was going to have some kind of reaction on the spot.   I was told to wait 15 minutes just in case.  I was doing fine as I was getting my follow up appointment and everything.  Then I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack, I've never had one before, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.  Anyway, I'll spare you all the details, but I'm fine and I'm feeling fine this morning.  I just have a sore arm.  I'm sure I'll be fine, but now I have to sit around and feel anxious about my second dose.  

Good for you!  You are a public health heroine, along with everyone else who is afraid but does something to protect others.

Sorry about the panic attack.  I know someone who has them and they are scary.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Danae said:

Good for you!  You are a public health heroine, along with everyone else who is afraid but does something to protect others.

Sorry about the panic attack.  I know someone who has them and they are scary.

Well I certainly don't feel like a heroine, but thank you for your kind words.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Good for you! I have the same type of anxiety, but it has lessened a little bit for me over the years.  And...those panic attacks, after you've had a new med/treatment/procedure, are extra scary!

• Like 1

@history-fanThere have been reports of delayed reactions of a week or more post-shot but they are not as common as in the first 48 hours. "Covid arm" seems to be the most prominent of the delayed reactions. I hope you feel better soon!!

My 2nd Moderna is this Friday and I'm getting cold feet thinking about it. I completely understand those who skip the second shot because of medical anxiety or general worry. Luckily, I have a ton of stuff this week so time should fly. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, history-fan said:

I got my 2nd Pfizer vax on 4-20 just slight sore arm. Then last night around 7 major chills fever exhausted hard time sleeping last night and have sore leg today have virtual apt this noon. Thought I was in the clear after a week. 

anyone else experience delayed reactions?

This is definitely in the range where it could just be some other bug, I have to say. I mean, it's plausible it's the vaccine, but it could also not be, you know? 

Now, if it were 48 hours, I'd assume it's the vaccine. 

• Like 2

Dh and I got our second Pfizer on Sunday morning.  Dh had Covid in early March and his first Pfizer dose resulted in a sore arm and mild chills/headache.  I had only a sore arm with dose #1.  For the second dose, dh was in bed with fever and chills by 9pm that same night.  Then fever, chills, nausea, and fatigue for almost 24 hours.  He is now fine except for a sore arm and a weird torso rash that appeared this morning.  

I felt fine on the day of my second dose, even running 8 miles that afternoon.  I thought I escaped the worst of it and awoke the next day feeling fine.  I had to take dd for her second dose and do a bunch of errands for work that morning.  By 11am, I felt "off" enough to ask dd to do the rest of the driving and by 1pm, I was in bed with fever, chills, and body aches.  They all disappeared 4 hours later as though nothing happened.  It was really strange.  I was up making dinner and finishing up my work day.  Today my arm is very very sore and the alarm surprised me even though I got 9 hours of sleep.  Otherwise I'm fine.

Dd is 24 hours after her second dose and has had fever, chills, headache since about 10pm last night.  She is still standing....she has finals this week.....but she is dragging.  I hope she avoids brain fog during her finals!

• Like 7

https://whyy.org/articles/i-got-the-covid-vaccine-are-my-side-effects-normal/

The above article talks about delayed reactions, including one very much like yours (minus the leg pain), @history-fan. I think you made a good call scheduling a virtual doc visit. Just in case!

For anyone else following along, I forgot to mention that "Covid arm" as a delayed reaction is primarily seen in Moderna recipients 4-11 days post-vaccination. I haven't seen as many Pfizer delayed reaction (greater than 3 days after vaccination) mentions. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2104751 (about Covid arm).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Well I certainly don't feel like a heroine, but thank you for your kind words.

You've no doubt heard the old aphorism that courage isn't about a lack of fear, it's about experiencing fear and doing the right thing anyway.

Well done!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thank you for posting this.   IMHO we need to show more kindness and understanding to people who are are hesitant.   For whatever reason.

I have a long complicated story, and have struggled with the whole situation and what I was going to do.  STRUGGLED.  But ultimately DD&I went yesterday and got our first Pfizer shots.    I felt nothing.   DD tensed her arm and it hurt.    I felt a little bit weird yesterday and today.   DD felt the same way, like how you feel after you've been sick for a few days and are now done being sick but you're still a bit off.    She has also had a mild headache since last night.

I don't know when I can claim victory over terrible side effects, 48 hours maybe 😁??

• Like 15