Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

54 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Great news!

Bill

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

I’m so glad!

Yes, I'm relieved.  I have a complicated medical history, so I tend to be overly cautious. 

I mean, I knew going in that my bloodwork was likely going to be fine.  But it is so good to *know* that it's fine.  I think I will sleep better tonight.

• Like 12

Ds got his second Pfizer the other day. Small headache about 24 hours later.

Finally got dd’s first Pfizer earlier this week. Also small headache afterward, but she had rolled around with a dog, and she’s allergic to dogs, so who knows?

My parents and sister all got their 2nd Pfizer over the past 2 weeks with no issues.

I get my second Moderna today, and have my fingers crossed!

• Like 11

DD17 got her 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday at 2:00.  She has had no side effects at all so far except for a very mildly sore arm.  She had no side effects with her first shot (aside for a sore arm) either.

DD20 did not have any side effects with her 1st Pfizer shot.  She will get her 2nd shot in about 10 days.

DH and I have had both Pfizer shots. DH did not notice any significant side effects for either shot.  I didn't have any significant issues at all either.  The only thing that I noticed at all was some tenderness in my armpits after the first shot, and a moderate headache on the 2nd day after my 2nd shot. However, I sometimes get headaches, so I hesitate to attribute it to the vaccine although it might be the cause.  

My sister got Moderna and felt really badly for a couple of days.  Her husband did too, although not quite as bad.

It's so interesting how the side effects vary so much.

• Like 8

Got my second pfizer dose yesterday around 11.  Late this afternoon I became quite tired and had to nap.  I am also slightly nauseous.  My arm is quite sore with a raised red spot.  The person who gave my shot yesterday was quite shaky and it hurt a fair bit. The first shot I didn't feel at all.

• Like 2

I had my 2nd Moderna dose on Thursday morning.  I started feeling bad around 11 hours later and felt better around 24 hours after my shot.  I'd say my reaction was moderate overall - very mild body aches, but everything from the neck up hurt.  My neck and head hurt a lot and I had mild nausea.  I would get dizzy and lightheaded when I stood up and I was very fatigued and had trouble concentrating.  I slept quite a bit.  After about 24 hours after the shot I felt a lot better and just had some fatigue and an on and off headache.  I didn't take anything for the symptoms.  If I had to work or do something, I would have and I think it would have helped a lot but I was able to just lie on the couch all morning so I just did that.

I'm really glad it's over.  I have two family members getting their second doses this week (1 Pfizer and 1 Moderna), DH gets his the following week (Moderna and I'm nervous about him because he gets severe reactions), then two more the following week (both Moderna).  Then all of us are done except for dd, who is in college and we're planning on getting her done this summer but scheduling will be tricky since she starts her internship immediately after finals.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

On 4/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, VickiMNE said:

My  husband, MIL, and I just received our first dose of Astra Zeneca (SE Europe).  So far, so good.  Nothing but simple jab pain like any other time a needle gets pushed into me.

I wrote the above Friday morning, just a couple of hours after receiving the vaccine. By late Friday night, I noticed the muscle of the injection site feeling tender but I could sleep on it.

Saturday I just felt "off" all day.  Like, if I got a little chilled (we had a big drop in temps), it took forever to warm up.  Instead of a short 20-min nap after lunch, it was a hard 2 hour nap.  I was able to get my to-do list done but I had to do it at my own pace.

Today, feeling great! Just a little tenderness at the injection site.  No biggie.  So, all in all, a good experience.

• Like 8

My 17 year old got her second Pfizer vaccine Friday.   By that afternoon she had an incredibly bad headache, body aches, brain fog, and was very tired.   I gave her motrin which helped a little.  She slept well Friday night and thought she felt better when she woke up yesterday but within 30 she felt like she did Friday (bad headache, body aches, brain fog, exhaustion).   I kept motrin in her all day yesterday.  She slept great last night and felt completely better this morning.  She has been fine all day.

• Like 7

On 4/16/2021 at 11:39 AM, idnib said:

I also have a a few autoimmune diseases and anemia. I'll be sure to check my gums as well after tomorrow. It's something I might not have connected otherwise if I saw bleeding gums. I'd probably just wonder if I'd been missing a spot or not flossing well.

Quoting myself to I got my Pfizer shot yesterday and my arm and shoulder hurt, but no other symptoms like bleeding gums.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ditto said:

My 17 year old got her second Pfizer vaccine Friday.   By that afternoon she had an incredibly bad headache, body aches, brain fog, and was very tired.   I gave her motrin which helped a little.  She slept well Friday night and thought she felt better when she woke up yesterday but within 30 she felt like she did Friday (bad headache, body aches, brain fog, exhaustion).   I kept motrin in her all day yesterday.  She slept great last night and felt completely better this morning.  She has been fine all day.

Well, there goes mild reactions in teens! Glad she's feeling better today 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First almost-48hrs of Moderna shot 2 were perfectly fine.  I mean, my arm REALLY hurt, and that did mess up my first night’s sleep, so I did take a short nap yesterday, but that’s not unusual for me. Temp went between 98 and 100 several times, but I felt fine.

Right before the 48 hour mark, I got (and am) really hot and sweaty. My temperature is perfectly normal though, ear and forehead. I’m supposed to be rushing around doing things in a couple of hours, but I’m not sure if that’s going to happen.

• Sad 4

I had my first Pfizer vaccine on Friday. I had a sore arm for about 2 days, a very brief dizzy spell about 2 hours post vaccine lasting less than 3 min., poor sleep for 2 days (but that could be unrelated), and feeling very thirsty. 

It was very interesting the day I received my vaccine, there were hundreds of people lined up (I haven't been around that many people in over a year). When we made the appointment, we had the choice between Pfizer and Moderna, I would say 95% were receiving Pfizer. Those who were there for Moderna were receiving their vax in less than 5 min., Pfizer was about a 30 min. wait. 

• Like 3

Ds (20) got his second Pfizer on Saturday.  He has a sore arm and late Saturday through Sunday had what he called vaccine "ickyness."  He didn't have a fever, just felt generally unwell or not at his best.  It was enough that he took an ibruprophen, but not enough that it stopped him from doing anything.

• Like 6

DS18 and I got our second Pfizer shot about 2 hours ago. Both of our arms felt warm almost immediately after, and we have both had kind of tingling in the arm here and there since. I had zero reaction from the first one, and hoping it stays that way. DS had very mild nausea and headache after the first, but is feeling good so far. 

• Like 8

Remember my comments on getting shingles? Well, I saw an article from MedPage on my Facebook feed and clicked on it. (You have to sign up to be able to read it, but it's free.) https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/92106?showReg&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=MPT-R-DRInterest&utm_content=CVNewSideEffect&hr=fb20212021DRInterest2&fbclid=IwAR2VWTxQU_2BqHnbRVveZmwvuns-TNhnSe82V5yPggF3PwknOZWbxhPjAYQ

Basically, in Israel, they have had a few people (6) with the side effect of shingles from the Pfizer, and these are people with autoimmune/inflammatory diseases. Interestingly, as far as I know, I do not have one. Makes me wonder, though.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Remember my comments on getting shingles? Well, I saw an article from MedPage on my Facebook feed and clicked on it. (You have to sign up to be able to read it, but it's free.) https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/92106?showReg&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=MPT-R-DRInterest&utm_content=CVNewSideEffect&hr=fb20212021DRInterest2&fbclid=IwAR2VWTxQU_2BqHnbRVveZmwvuns-TNhnSe82V5yPggF3PwknOZWbxhPjAYQ

Basically, in Israel, they have had a few people (6) with the side effect of shingles from the Pfizer, and these are people with autoimmune/inflammatory diseases. Interestingly, as far as I know, I do not have one. Makes me wonder, though.

I don't have one, either, although I am prone to tension headaches and other weird stuff that makes me wonder occasionally. 

Thank you for reporting that, by the way -- I said this upthread, but it gave me a kick in the rear to get an antiviral for my cold sores to use if needed after the vaccine. (Which are much less of a big deal than shingles, of course, but I still find unmedicated ones really annoying and disruptive.) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I am glad that I prioritized getting my two Shingrix vaccines before getting the Covid vaccine. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I got shingles but it was at least 2 months after my 2nd Pfizer shot so I’m pretty sure it was coincidental. I don’t have an autoimmune/inflammatory disease as far as I know.

I am sure this has been mentioned but I'll add it again as a reminder...

OfficeMax, Staples, & probably other office stores (in the US) are offering a free laminated copy of your vaccine card. So, once you get both shots (or if you get J&J, just the shot), take your card there, they will do a double-sided copy & laminate the copy. You can carry the copy with you & store the original in a safe place.

(I've read not to laminate your original as you might need more info added later if there are booster doses....)

Anyway, got my laminated copy today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I posted a few weeks ago when I got my second Pfizer vaccine -- just the 'usual' side effects of sore arm, feeling cold, etc.  

A few days later, I got my period at 16 days, which never happens.  Still, I honestly didn't think anything of it, since well, I'm 48.  Time for things to get weird.

However, in recent days I've seen mention of the vaccine possibly being linked to menstrual weirdness.  I dismissed it until I remembered, oh right, I had this weird thing happen myself.  It still seems entirely possible that it's unrelated, and I haven't read any convincing explanation of a possible causal mechanism between a vaccine and one's menstrual cycle.  Kind of hoping it's connected, though, as I'd much prefer this to have been a one-off thing related to the vaccine as opposed to a new normal.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I posted a few weeks ago when I got my second Pfizer vaccine -- just the 'usual' side effects of sore arm, feeling cold, etc.  

A few days later, I got my period at 16 days, which never happens.  Still, I honestly didn't think anything of it, since well, I'm 48.  Time for things to get weird.

However, in recent days I've seen mention of the vaccine possibly being linked to menstrual weirdness.  I dismissed it until I remembered, oh right, I had this weird thing happen myself.  It still seems entirely possible that it's unrelated, and I haven't read any convincing explanation of a possible casual mechanism between a vaccine and one's menstrual cycle.  Kind of hoping it's connected, though, as I'd much prefer this to have been a one-off thing related to the vaccine as opposed to a new normal.  

https://vajenda.substack.com/p/the-covid-19-vaccine-and-menstrual

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, Corraleno said:

After the first 7 days, V-safe checks in once a week for up to 5 weeks, and then the check-ins start again after the second dose, and then there are long term follow ups at 3, 6, and 12 months.

That is interesting. I have had no follow up whatsoever. No one has checked at all.

• Like 1

DH and I got dose #2 of Moderna last week (me Thursday, him Friday). With dose #1, we both just had a sore arm. With dose #2, I still just had a sore arm (didn't last as long as the first time). DH had sore arm (also didn't last as long), mild chills, and a brief low-grade fever; he never actually felt bad.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Interesting. We did not have anything like that at all.

Did they give you any papers? I confess that other than securing my vaccine card, I didn't even look at the rest until I read about the V-safe program here. Stuffed them in the glove compartment, drove home and forgot them.

1 minute ago, Innisfree said:

Did they give you any papers? I confess that other than securing my vaccine card, I didn't even look at the rest until I read about the V-safe program here. Stuffed them in the glove compartment, drove home and forgot them.

Yes, from the hospital/health thing that sponsored it at the convention center. I skimmed through it. Just had possible reactions, wasn't much. Also threw away the hospital logo mask they gave me and about all of the wonderful services they could provide.

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Just had possible reactions, wasn't much.

Yeah, that's what I assumed about mine when I wasn't reading it. 😄 (Not suggesting that you didn't, but *I* didn't.) Like what the pediatrician hands out every time a kid gets a shot.

Maybe you can find V-safe online?

1 minute ago, Innisfree said:

Yeah, that's what I assumed about mine when I wasn't reading it. 😄 (Not suggesting that you didn't, but *I* didn't.) Like what the pediatrician hands out every time a kid gets a shot.

Maybe you can find V-safe online?

I already did, but what is the point? I am a week and a half out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TCB said:

I got shingles but it was at least 2 months after my 2nd Pfizer shot so I’m pretty sure it was coincidental. I don’t have an autoimmune/inflammatory disease as far as I know.

Yeah, mine was 8 days after the 2nd Pfizer. It was just a question in my mind that I wanted to be alert to at the time. So I found this interesting.

• Like 2

Dh and I got our first dose of Pfizer last Thursday. It was a 2 hour drive down south and everything went well. Bonus: it was ideally located near a favorite restaurant so we ordered take out and then feasted at home before heading out to go camping. We had very slightly sore arms for a day and that was it. Feel great!

Second dose is schedule for the beginning of May. We were able to change it to a location in Des Plaines, Illinois, strategically located near my favorite seafood restaurant. We will feast on fish that day!

• Like 8

Ds2's girlfriend and a friend of theirs got Pfizer #2 yesterday.  Both are 26.  Ds' girlfriend had no reaction other than a sore arm.  Their friend (male) has chills, exhaustion, and fever.  

ETA - neither had reactions to their first dose.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I already did, but what is the point? I am a week and a half out.

V safe is just for collecting vaccination side effect data (including data on those who didn't have a reaction or much of one).   You are right that it doesn't matter so much now.  But for those reading this thread, it is good to sign up even if they don't give you the sheet at the vaccination site just because the more data they have the better.  PS - you can also sign up after the second dose as well if you missed the first dose. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Elfknitter.# said:

Anyone get bruised from their shot? A coworker received her 2nd Moderna shot last Thursday and returned to work yesterday. The bruise is about the size of a quarter.

I can't remember if I did from this one but I often get bruised from vaccines.  Especially if someone is on blood thinners (I take daily aspirin), it's not that uncommon. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, from the hospital/health thing that sponsored it at the convention center. I skimmed through it. Just had possible reactions, wasn't much. Also threw away the hospital logo mask they gave me and about all of the wonderful services they could provide.

I would have saved the mask as a souvenir, but I’m an idiot like that.

I DID NOT save my bandaid from when I got my shot because that would have been weird. I DIDN’T!!!!!  🤞 😄

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I would have saved the mask as a souvenir, but I’m an idiot like that.

I DID NOT save my bandaid from when I got my shot because that would have been weird. I DIDN’T!!!!!  🤞 😄

My husband got a hospital logo mask from working a hospital vaccine clinic, and honestly, it's one of the nicest masks I've seen.  It's got at least three layers, but it manages not to feel heavy, and it DOESN'T FOG UP MY GLASSES!  

• Like 6

Just now, Terabith said:

My husband got a hospital logo mask from working a hospital vaccine clinic, and honestly, it's one of the nicest masks I've seen.  It's got at least three layers, but it manages not to feel heavy, and it DOESN'T FOG UP MY GLASSES!  

Whoa. What is this mythical mask that doesn't fog up glasses?? 

• Like 2

I’m about 30 hours out after my 2nd Pfizer vaccine. My arm was really sore last night - enough to wake me in the night - and I’ve had low-level nausea and generally feeling crummy today, but no fever. Im feeling much better in the last hour or so, so hoping tomorrow I will be feeling normal again. No reaction of any kind to the first shot other than a very mildly tender arm for the first 12-ish hours. 

• Like 7

DH got the second dose of Moderna yesterday.  I suggested he clear his schedule for today, but no, he had a meeting scheduled for 3.  About 10 this morning: 

"Why am I so tired?"  "You had your COVID vaccine yesterday."

"Yeah, but I can barely keep my eyes open." "I warned you.  Did you think I was faking it when I slept most of the day after my second dose?"

"No, but I'm really tired."  "I see that."

"I'm going to go lay down for a bit." "Okay.  Do you want me to come drag you out of bed at 2:45, or are you going to cancel your meeting before you lie down?"  

<blank look>  <raised eyebrows>

He cancelled the meeting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

I may have spoken too soon. Two nights after getting Pfizer, I woke during the night in a sweat, with a weird buzzy feeling like I'd had too much coffee. I felt hot and was sure I had a fever, but I didn't. It was gone by mid-morning.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Danae said:

DH got the second dose of Moderna yesterday.  I suggested he clear his schedule for today, but no, he had a meeting scheduled for 3.  About 10 this morning: 

"Why am I so tired?"  "You had your COVID vaccine yesterday."

"Yeah, but I can barely keep my eyes open." "I warned you.  Did you think I was faking it when I slept most of the day after my second dose?"

"No, but I'm really tired."  "I see that."

"I'm going to go lay down for a bit." "Okay.  Do you want me to come drag you out of bed at 2:45, or are you going to cancel your meeting before you lie down?"  

<blank look>  <raised eyebrows>

He cancelled the meeting.

I laughed *so* hard at this. DH asked me why I was laughing so I read it out loud. He was um, not amused. Triggered a bit, perhaps? I cannot explain how many times we have similar conversations. Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

59 minutes ago, Danae said:

DH got the second dose of Moderna yesterday.  I suggested he clear his schedule for today, but no, he had a meeting scheduled for 3. 

Sounds like my DH, except I overruled him. 

"I'll be fine to drive myself back from NY to Boston!!" "Uh-huh. Riiight. We're not doing that. I'm driving you." 

(He fell asleep on the drive back, for the record.) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2