Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

15 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Got my second dose of Moderna this afternoon. I’m not sure if I’m hoping for lots of side effects to prove that my immune system is working or no side effects because I am a wimp! 

Either way, report back! 

I'll hope for medium symptoms for you -- enough to reassure you that your immune system did stuff, not so many that you'll feel awful! 

• Like 4

On 4/19/2021 at 10:16 PM, Stacia said:

I am sure this has been mentioned but I'll add it again as a reminder...

OfficeMax, Staples, & probably other office stores (in the US) are offering a free laminated copy of your vaccine card. So, once you get both shots (or if you get J&J, just the shot), take your card there, they will do a double-sided copy & laminate the copy. You can carry the copy with you & store the original in a safe place.

(I've read not to laminate your original as you might need more info added later if there are booster doses....)

Anyway, got my laminated copy today.

Oh wow, thank you for posting that.  Do you have to be there in person to do that?  I don't have a store that close, but was thinking dh could take mine to the store when he is going to work. 

I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday around lunch. Only had a slightly sore arm when I went to bed, but I woke up feeling crummy. Really sore arm, headache, and just kind of hurt all over. One arm pit hurts (arm I had the shot in) so assuming swollen lymph node. Not as bad as when I had the flu but still not fun. Hoping it doesn’t get any worse. 

• Sad 1

DS19 had his second Pfizer dose Tuesday. He’s about 40 hours out and still has chills, fever, feels crappy, sore muscles. Last night he had a headache.  He is generally really healthy. Hasn’t been sick in more than 10 years that we can remember. He can’t remember ever feeling this bad. He’s really been thrown for a loop. 

• Sad 7

47 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday around lunch. Only had a slightly sore arm when I went to bed, but I woke up feeling crummy. Really sore arm, headache, and just kind of hurt all over. One arm pit hurts (arm I had the shot in) so assuming swollen lymph node. Not as bad as when I had the flu but still not fun. Hoping it doesn’t get any worse. 

Quoting myself to add that there is a weird fatigue as well. Reading threads here is difficult. I keep finding myself just sitting here staring out the window. I’m not sleepy but just have zero energy for anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

DS19 had his second Pfizer dose Tuesday. He’s about 40 hours out and still has chills, fever, feels crappy, sore muscles. Last night he had a headache.  He is generally really healthy. Hasn’t been sick in more than 10 years that we can remember. He can’t remember ever feeling this bad. He’s really been thrown for a loop. 

I was like this. It made me so glad to have the vaccine. I have a healthy 25 year old friend that was much sicker than this for a month with Covid. I hope he feels better soon!!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Starr said:

I was like this. It made me so glad to have the vaccine. I have a healthy 25 year old friend that was much sicker than this for a month with Covid. I hope he feels better soon!!

I’m so sorry for your friend. Hope he’s better! 
DS had about 5 pretty good friends who weren’t really sick at all when they had covid, so he’s kind of like, huh? Why did I get this shot? Hopefully tomorrow when he feels better, he’ll still think he made the right choice with the vaccine. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Danae said:

Did you think I was faking it when I slept most of the day after my second dose?

He did actually think you were being lazy. Or, he figured you were weak.

I have friends who are getting over Covid infections right now who are "sick of being sick." I have one more week until my second shot. I've warned my kids not to expect anything from me that weekend. Not sure who has listened...

• Like 2

Dd18 got her second Pfizer on Tuesday.  She had a sore arm, a restless sleep on Tuesday night, a headache and was tired.  She also had a sore throat and was sniffly, but we both think that was seasonal allergies bc the pollen has been high.  Her arm is still sore, but headache is mostly gone and she seems bright and cheery today.  So, my 18 yo and 20 yo each had minor but noticable side effects.

My second Moderna is Tuesday.  I am planning next week to be easy.  Dh had minor surgery on Monday, so I am so glad that I got Moderna because my second shot of Pfizer would have been Tuesday and that would not have worked at all for our family!

• Like 4

On 4/20/2021 at 6:00 PM, kand said:

It seems vaccine sites vary widely in how well they do letting people know about v-safe. I got mine at my dr’s office, and they had a piece of paper with the QR code and info near each of the 15 minute waiting areas and told me about it when they took me to wait there. None of my family members who went to drive through sites did it on their own or knew what I was talking about, though some had it in their paperwork when they looked. That’s something I wish places were all doing a good job of. It’s such a simple thing, and could provide really important information. 

There was nothing said about it at my site. I vaguely remembered it mentioned here but hadn't looked into it enough to know that anyone could do it. I wish I had so I could have recorded my side effects. 

IRL I have encountered only 2 people who had relatives die of Covid.  Of those 2, one was reportedly fully vaccinated.  So now I am really wondering about the reports that people who are vaccinated are not getting very sick.  I really don't know what to think.

One thing that I have found curious and wonder if there is any relation to is the reactions to the shot and age of the person.  It could just be a fluke, but after reading about reactions on this site and 4 people I know over age 70, it seems like their reactions have been pretty benign. Like, yep got it, no headache, fever, etc.  But us 'younger' ones, let's say 60-65 and younger, we seem to have headaches, swollen injection areas, blah feeling for a few days, etc. I have wondered why that is?! Just an observation.

11 minutes ago, ***** said:

One thing that I have found curious and wonder if there is any relation to is the reactions to the shot and age of the person.  It could just be a fluke, but after reading about reactions on this site and 4 people I know over age 70, it seems like their reactions have been pretty benign. Like, yep got it, no headache, fever, etc.  But us 'younger' ones, let's say 60-65 and younger, we seem to have headaches, swollen injection areas, blah feeling for a few days, etc. I have wondered why that is?! Just an observation.

Elderly people's immune systems aren't as robust as those of younger people.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Either way, report back! 

I'll hope for medium symptoms for you -- enough to reassure you that your immune system did stuff, not so many that you'll feel awful! 

Reporting back as requested! Last night was a bit rough. To quote Douglas Adams, it was “unpleasantly like being drunk.”  (Altogether now: “What’s so unpleasant about being drunk? You ask a glass of water.”)

In all seriousness, the worst of it for me seems to be the headache. I finally gave in at about 3am and took some ibuprofen, and had another dose a couple of hours ago. My arm is also very sore, and has a red knot the size of a quarter. I’m just being a baby, though. If this is as bad as it gets, I’ll count myself very fortunate!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SKL said:

IRL I have encountered only 2 people who had relatives die of Covid.  Of those 2, one was reportedly fully vaccinated.  So now I am really wondering about the reports that people who are vaccinated are not getting very sick.  I really don't know what to think.

I guess you could decide there’s a vast global conspiracy with all the data showing the vaccine works... or maybe just that the people you know are unlucky. One of the two 😉 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

He did actually think you were being lazy. Or, he figured you were weak.

Nah.  I had my shots on Saturdays, so he just figured I was taking advantage of Sunday afternoon nap time, and since he had his midweek he wouldn’t have that luxury.  

I took both rounds of the Pfizer vaccine with no side effects except for bruising, which is due to fact that my platelet count sometimes drops below 50,000 because of ongoing disease process.  I do not count soreness of arm as a side effect since I expect that quick jab with needle will result in minor temporary soreness.  During my vaxes, I was working around 75-85 hours a week because of our busy season.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SKL said:

I know at least 5 who've lost relatives.  I know of none who have lost vaccinated loved ones.  My mother lives in a senior living complex that has an assisted living section and nursing home.  They've lost no vaccinated residents either.  It  probably is your slice of the sample which is why pooled data is more accurate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I guess you could decide there’s a vast global conspiracy with all the data showing the vaccine works... or maybe just that the people you know are unlucky. One of the two 😉 

It's not funny.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Small study in the New England Journal of Medicine from Rockefeller University comparing 417 fully vaccinated employees with 1491 unvaxed.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2105000

moved the rest here: https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/704912-the-vaccine-thread/?do=findComment&comment=8952373

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was pretty awful (after second dose of Pfizer). The body aches by midday were on par with the one time I’ve had the flu and it was miserable. I feel so much better today except for my armpit pain due to a swollen lymph node. It’s still really tender and uncomfortable when I move, and sleeping was difficult. I’m hoping it goes away soon and I’m going to continue to take it easy the next few days until it feels better.

Both dc get their first dose today! 

• Like 4

On 4/22/2021 at 7:29 AM, Soror said:

Dh has his second Pfizer today. He is the last in our family that is eligible to get a shot. He's told his boss he might not make it to work tomorrow, we'll see.

Dh is at 21 hours out from the second shot and is coming home after a half day at work. He has fatigue, aches, feels hot, and a headache.

• Sad 3

Whooo-boy. I got my second dose of Pfizer on Wednesday and it has knocked me down for the count.

I got the shot around 4pm, and by bedtime my arm was already aching a lot more than with the first short (which was only mildly sore the day after). I put an ice pack on the injection site and went to bed.

Yesterday I woke up feeling really bad. From shoulder to finger tips, my whole arm was very painful and stiff and tingly. I was nauseous, had a headache, and felt confused...like my mind had a hard time understanding and coming to grips with information, even simple things like what time it was or which drawer my pants were in.

As the day went on my arm got better and the rest of me got worse. By noon, only the injection site was still sore, but I was very nauseous, had a horrible migraine, felt like I had a fever (I didn't, but I felt hot and cold and trembly), and still felt very tired and confused.

My husband took the afternoon off, and I laid in a miserable heap in my bed, exhausted, but in too much pain to sleep. I fitfully dozed from noon until 6 this morning.

Today my arm is all the way back to normal. My stomach is fine, but my head still hurts a bit and is much fuzzier than normal. I'm hoping that a good night of sleep will have me all the way back to normal tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

DH and I are getting our 2nd Pfizer shot on Tuesday.  Ya'll are scaring me 😬!  I had zero side effects with the 1st shot.  DH just had a sore arm.

We just lost my FIL yesterday and I just don't know if I have it in me right now to feel any worse than I already do 😩!

• Sad 19

On 4/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, Danae said:

DH got the second dose of Moderna yesterday.  I suggested he clear his schedule for today, but no, he had a meeting scheduled for 3.  About 10 this morning: 

"Why am I so tired?"  "You had your COVID vaccine yesterday."

"Yeah, but I can barely keep my eyes open." "I warned you.  Did you think I was faking it when I slept most of the day after my second dose?"

"No, but I'm really tired."  "I see that."

"I'm going to go lay down for a bit." "Okay.  Do you want me to come drag you out of bed at 2:45, or are you going to cancel your meeting before you lie down?"  

<blank look>  <raised eyebrows>

He cancelled the meeting.

Wow. If only someone had thought to warn him in advance that he might need to cancel that meeting... 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I had my 2nd Moderna yesterday early morning.  I felt amazing all day.  I moved my arm a lot more after the shot than I did with my 1st.  My arm was hardly sore at all yesterday.  It is a little sore today, but nothing bad or extreme.  Other than that I feel 100% normal.  

I was really fearing a bad response to it. 

Dh had nothing from either shot. He had the same brand. 

Mentally I feel a huge weight lifted off me.  I am so grateful that we have access to this vaccine.  That the medical community was able to get this so quickly.  And that we were able to get it much earlier than thought.  Not that my behavior has changed post shot at all, but I can feel the weight of it off my shoulders knowing that I am so well protected. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

DH and I are getting our 2nd Pfizer shot on Tuesday.  Ya'll are scaring me 😬!  I had zero side effects with the 1st shot.  DH just had a sore arm.

We just lost my FIL yesterday and I just don't know if I have it in me right now to feel any worse than I already do 😩!

Oh no! I’m so sorry!!! 

I know you have been expecting the worst, but that doesn’t make it any easier when it happens.

Sending hugs and prayers. We’re here if you need to talk!!! 

• Thanks 1

I had my 2nd Moderna on Tuesday. Started feeling a bit foggy brained Tuesday night. Wednesday I had a fever and body aches. Thursday I was still tired, and today I feel fine!

I didn't like the side effects, but it was worth it, because I really don't want to see what happens if I get covid.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I am so sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

No, it isn't. But neither is trying to cast doubts on a vaccine that's going to save a lot of lives due to an unlucky personal sample. 

Do you want personal experiences or not?  The title of this thread is "personal experiences."  Perhaps the title should be edited to clarify that only sunshine and rainbow reports are acceptable.

You are pretty much outright accusing me of either lying or trying to mislead on something very important.  That is not OK.  Even if your intent is to shut out a voice that you disagree with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SKL said:

Do you want personal experiences or not?  The title of this thread is "personal experiences."  Perhaps the title should be edited to clarify that only sunshine and rainbow reports are acceptable.

You are pretty much outright accusing me of either lying or trying to mislead on something very important.  That is not OK.  Even if your intent is to shut out a voice that you disagree with.

"I know one person who has a relative who supposedly died of covid after being vaccinated" is not a "personal vaccination experience."

Saying that because you know someone who knows someone who supposedly had that experience, it makes you doubt the data from multiple countries on literally millions of vaccine doses makes no sense.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

No, I'm suggesting that you report things without statements like "So now I am really wondering about the reports that people who are vaccinated are not getting very sick.  I really don't know what to think." 

Saying you know someone who was vaccinated and died is a personal experience and is reasonable to include. And I'm very sorry to hear that this happened, and it's rotten, rotten luck for them and their family 😞 . 

However, the rest of that was totally unnecessary and ignores basically all the data that we have, which seems inappropriate. 

And if you think this thread has been sunshine and rainbow reports, then I don't know what thread you've been reading. We have lots of reports of side effects, including shingles. No one has gotten sick with COVID yet, but I'm sure someone will eventually. That's because 95% is not 100%. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

No, I'm suggesting that you report things without statements like "So now I am really wondering about the reports that people who are vaccinated are not getting very sick.  I really don't know what to think." 

Saying you know someone who was vaccinated and died is a personal experience and is reasonable to include. And I'm very sorry to hear that this happened, and it's rotten, rotten luck for them and their family 😞 . 

However, the rest of that was totally unnecessary and ignores basically all the data that we have, which seems inappropriate. 

And if you think this thread has been sunshine and rainbow reports, then I don't know what thread you've been reading. We have lots of reports of side effects, including shingles. No one has gotten sick with COVID yet, but I'm sure someone will eventually. That's because 95% is not 100%. 

Everyone is adding their feelings and opinions on this thread.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

I'm getting my second shot Sunday afternoon and I'm mildly worried about side effects.   I'm getting Pfizer and I had no reaction at all to the first one so I'm hoping this goes well too.  Sunday my daughter is coming over for dinner for her birthday and I need to teach Monday (and the rest of the week).   I am making sure to have all my classes fully prepared so I can rest if I need to when I'm not teaching. 

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don’t think there is any “sunshine and rainbows” when we’re talking about Covid, and I certainly haven’t gotten that impression from anything I have read in this thread. 

I truly wish we would see a lot of sunshine and rainbows ahead, but if people don’t get vaccinated and take proper precautions, all I see are more stormy skies. 😞 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

Everyone is adding their feelings and opinions on this thread.

I'm done with this conversation.  I expected you to apologize for laughing about someone dying, and instead you dug in.  OK.  You do you.

SKL, I really think you misinterpreted Not a Number’s post. I honestly didn’t get the impression that she was laughing about someone dying, and I don’t think she would ever do that.

I’m very sorry for your loss. 

Edited by Catwoman
Capitalization matters!
  • Like 2

Just checked the CDC website and it says that per data as of April 20, about 1% of breakthrough Covid cases have resulted in death.  That is not low compared to the overall CFR for Covid.

I think people should know this is a possibility.  Knowing this, people would probably take more precautions around at-risk individuals, even post-vaccination.

Edited by SKL

9 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

SKL, I really think you misinterpreted Not a Number’s post. I honestly didn’t get the impression that she was laughing about someone dying, and I don’t think she would ever do that.

I’m very sorry for your loss. 

People dying of COVID is in no way funny. I am very sorry for SKL's loss, too. 

And I want everyone to get their shots so we can beat this stupid disease. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SKL said:

Just checked the CDC website and it says that per data as of April 20, about 1% of breakthrough Covid cases have resulted in death.

I think people should know this is a possibility.  Knowing this, people would probably take more precautions around at-risk individuals, even post-vaccination.

Yes, you'd expect that, I think -- they are on average a lot older than average. (Almost half are 60+.) Older people have a less robust immune response than younger people. So it's not surprising the vaccines didn't take for some of them 😞 . 

Generally, you'd expect this population to be sicker and have more immune issues compared to most of us. So 1% is actually not bad for this population, alas. 

Edited by Not_a_Number