Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

@KassiaI hope your husband has started to turn the corner by now. I'm proud of him that he got shot #2 when he was pretty certain he'd have bad side effects.

I'm about an hour past Moderna shot #2. Got it at a small pharmacy only a mile from my house instead of the big county site (30 minutes away that they set up for 2nd doses from the first date). I got there at 11:32, had the shot in my arm by 11:37 and was told I was good to leave by 11:45. (Um, math issues, anyone?)

So far, tingling in shot arm & a very, very slight headache.

ETA: My dd#1 & dd#2 got their Pfizer vaccines at the same time several states apart. This time, my dd#1 & I got our second shots on the same day several states apart. Dd#2 is waiting until next week after her last final to get shot #2.

Edited by RootAnn
Added eta
  • Like 4

Second Pfizer vaccine yesterday:  just as many people getting shots at the clinic where I went but a much younger demographic getting the shots than when I went the first time.  I think that many of the elderly getting shots when I got my first one were on their second and now many of the younger ones are getting their first shot while I got my second. 

Side effects:  sore, bruised arm but this time the shot hurt while the first one didn't.  I think that this nurse hit something that the first one didn't.  Diarrhea but I had already had that pre-shot so don't know if that counts or if the shot exacerbated it a bit. 

• Like 2

Reporting for my daughter. 2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday. Super duper fatigue, a little dizzy, and very headachy. No fever or chills, no other immune response so far. My precious five year old grandson keeps trying to take her popsicles because that is what he gets when he is sick and feverish. It is the cutest thing, and warms my heart! Mama just wants to sleep, please.

• Like 6

My 16 year old is 24+ hours past Pfizer #2.  She was fine yesterday, actually did a masked, in person activity last evening from 7 to 9 hours post vaccine.  She woke up achy and feeling a little cruddy today.  Enjoying the day on the couching texting and watching youtube.  She did have a couple advil a few hours ago and said that helped a lot. I suspect she will be good to go in the morning.  

• Like 4

On 4/28/2021 at 12:40 PM, popmom said:

Tired. Headache. I woke up at 3am with chills/shivering. Then around 5 I was sweating profusely. I had to get up and do a sponge bath and change clothes—it was so weird. I’m 24 hours out and it’s much better now. 

Quoting myself here...

I am 3 days out now from second Pfizer. Just a bit of soreness in my arm, but not enough to keep me from shoveling horse manure and compost. 

I seriously feel like I have a new lease on life. My mood is drastically changed for the better. I didn’t realize how down I had become. I’m still very cautious—just a much happier cautious.

Pray for India. Give money. It’s a strange thing to feel this new joy while also being acutely aware of the intense suffering that is still happening. 

https://give.internationalmedicalcorps.org/page/81368/donate/1?ea.tracking.id=DP~CNOV~DPALZ2104&_ga=2.78553748.1826515606.1619709768-1393438916.1619709768

https://aidindia.org/donate/covid-relief-fund/

Edited by popmom
Add links
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Kassia said:

DH had his second Moderna yesterday morning.  He has a fever now with chills and some stomach upset.  He took Tylenol before bed last night due to the chills and feeling off and that helped but it wore off and he doesn't want to take more due to the stomach upset.  

10 hours ago, Kassia said:

Quoting myself for an update.  He's mostly miserable with nausea now.  It's really bad.  He has a fever and headache too.  😞  

Last update - I think he's over the worst of it.  He's perked up a lot.  🙂  

The nausea eased up a bit and then the worst part was the really bad chills.  He had a work emergency (of course) and was shivering so much he couldn't control his computer mouse.  Tylenol took the edge off a bit and he was able to function well enough.  I am relieved that he's doing so much better.  He ate dinner and hasn't had Tylenol now in 6 hours.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

Last update - I think he's over the worst of it.  He's perked up a lot.  🙂  

The nausea eased up a bit and then the worst part was the really bad chills.  He had a work emergency (of course) and was shivering so much he couldn't control his computer mouse.  Tylenol took the edge off a bit and he was able to function well enough.  I am relieved that he's doing so much better.  He ate dinner and hasn't had Tylenol now in 6 hours.  

How many hours total did his symptoms last? I'm trying to count the hours backward from your post, but am not doing very well with that. Was his shot yesterday morning, or the day before?

Had my 2nd Pfizer shot 7 hours ago, and so far I just have a very slightly sore arm — same as last time. I had the first inklings of a headache but kept drinking lots of water and it went away. With both shots I've made sure to be super well hydrated the day before, day of, and day after the shot, and to exercise my arm a lot to be sure the vaccine gets well distributed instead of sitting in one place. I had psyched myself up for a couple days of misery, but so far so good.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Had my 2nd Pfizer shot 7 hours ago, and so far I just have a very slightly sore arm — same as last time. I had the first inklings of a headache but kept drinking lots of water and it went away. With both shots I've made sure to be super well hydrated the day before, day of, and day after the shot, and to exercise my arm a lot to be sure the vaccine gets well distributed instead of sitting in one place. I had psyched myself up for a couple days of misery, but so far so good.

I hope you keep feeling good! For me, it definitely started the next day... and I haven’t been miserable by any stretch of the imagination, but the symptoms have definitely lingered.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KSera said:

How many hours total did his symptoms last? I'm trying to count the hours backward from your post, but am not doing very well with that. Was his shot yesterday morning, or the day before?

He got his shot at 10am on Thursday.  Started feeling mild symptoms around 6pm - minor chills and feeling off.  I got up around 5am and he felt pretty hot (fever) and feeling miserable.  The nausea was really bad in the morning but eased up and he had really bad chills until around 1pm.  He took another dose of Tylenol at around noon and started feeling better around 1pm.  Still had mild symptoms the rest of the day (fatigue, aches, chills) but very manageable and didn't need meds.  He took Tylenol before bed Friday night just to make sure he was comfortable sleeping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am 3 days post 2nd Pfizer shot.  Only had a sore arm for 2 days.  Was a little more tired and achy also, but we are also drained planning a funeral and dealing with my MIL on hospice.  So...who knows.

DH just had a sore arm again for a couple of days.  Nothing else.  Not as bad as the first shot.  That one his arm hurt really bad the first day, but it was gone after that.

• Like 2

I was just going to do a quick update on my dd16 who had her 2nd Pfizer almost 48 hours ago.  She felt cruddy overnight after her vaccine, laid on the couch yesterday, took some advil midday.  Felt good enough to zoom into a dance class at 4:30, tired last night in bed a little early.  Good to go this morning!  Feels just fine. ❤️   

• Like 6

I'm 24 hrs post 2nd Moderna shot. I've had the usual arm pain with a "flushed" feeling, adding a headache radiating from the base of my neck up and general achiness. I also lost my footing just a bit ago and would have gone down very hard on top of a chair I toppled, but caught myself on another chair. I thought I'd drive ds to his baseball game in a bit but now I think I'll have dd#2 do it as originally planned.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Quick question, does anyone know how long it takes for the full protection of the second shot to take effect ? Thanks. 

Pfizer tested 1 weeks after the second shot, and they got their 95% efficacy from that. 

That being said, I'd guess that 2 weeks is even better. But I'm going to count myself as protected starting tomorrow 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 12:05 AM, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, thank you for posting that.  Do you have to be there in person to do that?  I don't have a store that close, but was thinking dh could take mine to the store when he is going to work. 

No. My sister actually took mine with her when she was going. I am sure you could send it with your dh. (The worst they would do is say no, so it's worth sending it with him.)

• Like 1

Dd (22) got her 2nd Moderna on Thursday. She felt a little under the weather on Friday but nothing major. Said she was maybe running at 90% instead of 100%. (She has always been stoic.)

Ds (20) got his 2nd Moderna yesterday. He is a bit sore at the injection site. Late last night he said he was feeling slightly nauseated. He slept a bit longer this morning and has continued to complain about feeling slightly nauseous today. He napped a bit this afternoon. I'd say he probably feeling about 70% instead of 100%, based on how he looks and is behaving today.

• Like 6

4 of us got the 2nd Pfizer shot this week. Other than being really tired that evening and a slight arm soreness -- we are fine. Even my allergy girl with asthma had no other side effects; they did make her wait 30 min. before coming home and her sister drove because allergy girl had taken benadryl just in case. The rest of us had no pre-medication.

SO GLAD THAT'S DONE!!!!

• Like 7

DH had his 2nd Pfizer yesterday at 9am. In the middle of the night, he felt chilled, and by the next morning had a temp of about 100. It's been in the mid 99's all day. He feels okay but blah. Watching lots of TV. Hoping he perks up soon!

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Pfizer tested 1 weeks after the second shot, and they got their 95% efficacy from that. 

That being said, I'd guess that 2 weeks is even better. But I'm going to count myself as protected starting tomorrow 😉

I didn’t know this! Yay! 

23 hours ago, Stacia said:

Dd (22) got her 2nd Moderna on Thursday. She felt a little under the weather on Friday but nothing major. Said she was maybe running at 90% instead of 100%. (She has always been stoic.)

Ds (20) got his 2nd Moderna yesterday. He is a bit sore at the injection site. Late last night he said he was feeling slightly nauseated. He slept a bit longer this morning and has continued to complain about feeling slightly nauseous today. He napped a bit this afternoon. I'd say he probably feeling about 70% instead of 100%, based on how he looks and is behaving today.

Ds stuck w/ plain food (& little of it) yesterday. By late evening, he was starting to feel better (not nauseous anymore).

Both dc are feeling fine now.

• Like 4

I seem to be back to normal, more or less! Here's my timeline, for anyone who wants it: 

Sunday: got vaccine at 3:00 pm. Felt totally fine the whole day. 

Monday: had muscle aches that were partially vaccine and were partially the fact that I was running around with a kite on Friday. (I had the muscle aches BEFORE the vaccine, too, so that's not just confirmation bias.) 

Tuesday: muscle aches wore off, but I got a headache and felt kind of nauseous. 

Wednesday: headache improving, nausea improving. 

Thursday: nausea gone, headache still there but improving. 

Friday: headache improving: 

Saturday: headache barely there. 

Sunday: headache seems to be gone. 

I was also kind of out of it and clumsy the whole week. Like, I got some bruises I wouldn't have normally, because I kept walking into things. 

I would have been able to do all my normal activities every single day, although it was also not the most pleasant week. 

I'm very relieved to be vaccinated. We looked at potential places to buy today and it was a real relief to feel protected as we wandered inside apartments. 

• Like 6

I think I'm back to normal although I won't know until the Tylenol wears off in a bit. I feel much better.

Got Moderna at 11:37 am Friday. Very slight headache, tingling in shot arm.

Saturday afternoon usual arm pain, a "flushed" feeling, a headache radiating from the base of my neck up and general achiness. Also unsteady on my feet.

Definitely also "not hungry" which is very much not like me!

Saturday night (36 hours after shot):  mild fever, hot/cold, stabbing pain at the base of my skull (same place as previous headache but not radiating into a headache - just stabbing pain).

Fever broke at some point, but stabbing pain remained. Took as low a dose of Tylenol as I have in the house in the morning & then 7 hrs later.

I was really, really hoping for the great night's sleep that some of y'all report comes in this cycle. Certainly hasn't happened yet, unfortunately. I haven't slept through the night in almost 20 years or more than about 3 hours at a stretch in almost as long.

But, I think I'm over the worst of the side effects. Crosses fingers!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

unfortunately. I haven't slept through the night in almost 20 years or more than about 3 hours at a stretch in almost as long.

But, I think I'm over the worst of the side effects. Crosses fingers!

Glad you are doing better!  Isn't it a relief to have that done? 

Our sleep issues are similar - haven't slept through the night in...forever...no matter what.  And my sleep cycle seems to be that I wake every 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  I'm up at 3:30-4am no matter what time I go to bed.  

The second night after my Moderna shot I did sleep a little better, but barely.  I was really hoping to get a full night of sleep!  And 48 hours after my shot, I took a 40 minute nap.  Usually, if I try to nap, I wake up in about 20 minutes no matter how exhausted I am.  It's baffling how our bodies won't let us sleep even when we are so tired.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I was really, really hoping for the great night's sleep that some of y'all report comes in this cycle. Certainly hasn't happened yet, unfortunately. I haven't slept through the night in almost 20 years or more than about 3 hours at a stretch in almost as long.

Ugh. That sucks 😞 . 

I do sleep through the night but I'm super sensitive to my sleep cycles -- I get headaches very easily if I don't sleep well. It seems to help to wake up at the same time every day for me, but I would guess you've tried stuff like that. 

• Like 1

A friend in India had both of the Indian vax shots, and several weeks later came down with a pretty bad case of Covid.  She does have other health issues, but she is under 40.  I hear she is now on the mend.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:
Noon - slightly more headache, fatigue, arm pain starting to recede, little bit of cough

1pm - same as above but no cough

I had similar experience with the brief cough after my second last week. I’ve seen everything say cough isn’t a side effect from the vaccine, and when others have reported it, I’ve wondered if they actually had Covid at the time they got their shot, but I know I didn’t, yet still I had 1-2 hour of a slight cough. Then gone. Such a weird thing. I can’t even think what the mechanism would be. 

• Like 1

So...I had my 2nd Pfizer shot last Wednesday.  Didn't really have much of a reaction to it and had zero side effect my 1st shot.  Today I feel achy with a minor headache and feel flushed.  No fever.  And feel a little congested between my eyes.  Wondering if it could be the vaccine so many days after the shot?!?!?!?

• Like 1

I had my second Pfizer shot last Tuesday.  The injection site was red, swollen, and bruised looking.  It itched terribly for several days, but is better now.  It is still has a welt and is bruised, but doesn't hurt.  The tinnitis got worse after the second shot, but has stayed at that level since.  I talked to my ENT and she told me to make an appointment for a hearing check and then I can see her.  I have been tired off and on, and mild nausea.  This evening the nausea is worse and I am feeling really tired and chilly (no fever).  I was thinking I should be all over it by now since it will be a week tomorrow.

My DD who got her shot at the same time, did fine.  Just a tad bit of soreness at the injection site, a bit of fatigue the day after the shot.  She had a mild headache for a couple days too.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

So...I had my 2nd Pfizer shot last Wednesday.  Didn't really have much of a reaction to it and had zero side effect my 1st shot.  Today I feel achy with a minor headache and feel flushed.  No fever.  And feel a little congested between my eyes.  Wondering if it could be the vaccine so many days after the shot?!?!?!?

I wouldn't be surprised. My side effects lasted a solid week and definitely changed in type along the way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Wondering if it could be the vaccine so many days after the shot?!?!?!?

Yep, could be. Seen this same question a couple of times in this thread already. Drink some more water, get your rest. Hope it is gone in the morning.

I spoke too soon last night... I explained to my DH that the man with the screwdriver came back to shove it into the back of my skull around 12:46 am. Today, it is more like a pulled muscle in my neck than my horrible description above.

I would still do it over again. Can't wait to hit the two week mark... 

• Like 4

Dh and I had our second Pfizer shots today and the guy at the pharmacy said we should wait twelve hours(!) before taking any Advil or Tylenol.  I wish I had asked him where he heard that.

Has anyone here heard that?  Is this based on new info (that I can't find anywhere)?

Edited by DoraBora

12 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Dh and I had our second Pfizer shots today and the guy at the pharmacy said we should wait twelve hours(!) before taking any Advil or Tylenol.  I wish I had asked him where he heard that.

Has anyone here heard that?  Is this based on new info (that I can't find anywhere)?

I've only seen 4 hours (to prevent suppressing the immune response). I made it a goal to hold out to the 24 hour mark, unless I was miserable, but I was starting to feel a bit better by then, and didn't end up using any at all.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

I've only seen 4 hours (to prevent suppressing the immune response). I made it a goal to hold out to the 24 hour mark, unless I was miserable, but I was starting to feel a bit better by then, and didn't end up using any at all.

Thank you.  I prefer not taking anything, but after the first one I felt so poorly I couldn't sleep, which wasn't helpful. 

I took the shot six hours ago now, and I had hoped to head off to bed feeling okay, but the headache and body aches have already begun.

I'm irritated with myself for not questioning him about where he got this info.

14 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Thank you.  I prefer not taking anything, but after the first one I felt so poorly I couldn't sleep, which wasn't helpful. 

I took the shot six hours ago now, and I had hoped to head off to bed feeling okay, but the headache and body aches have already begun.

I'm irritated with myself for not questioning him about where he got this info.

The only data I’ve seen showed that after 4 hours, there was no notable decrease in immune response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've all had both vaccinations now, so here's a recap of our experiences. All team Pfizer --

DS22 received his second vaccine on 3/25. He had nothing other than a very mildly sore arm either time. Nothing unusual noted since.

DH received his second vaccine on 4/8. He had nothing other than a mildly sore arm either time. Nothing unusual noted since.

DS25 had his second vaccine Saturday. The first time he had a very mildly sore arm. He woke up sore and achy after the second vaccine, but said it pretty much went away after he got up and moved around.

I had my second vaccine yesterday. I had a mildly sore arm with the first one. This morning my arm is probably best described as stiff--the entire muscular area between elbow and shoulder. It's not significant enough that I've considered taking any pain relief, and I suspect it will improve when I move around a bit. So far that's the only side effect I've noticed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Quoting myself -- LOL.  Yesterday wasn't great, but feeling much better this morning.  We are also preparing for my FIL's funeral on Friday and my MIL is still on home hospice so who knows what is going on with me.  Am very glad I'm feeling better today since there is so much to do.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Yep, could be. Seen this same question a couple of times in this thread already. Drink some more water, get your rest. Hope it is gone in the morning.

I spoke too soon last night... I explained to my DH that the man with the screwdriver came back to shove it into the back of my skull around 12:46 am. Today, it is more like a pulled muscle in my neck than my horrible description above.

I would still do it over again. Can't wait to hit the two week mark... 

I had that pain in my neck about 3 days after my second Pfizer.  I thought it was unrelated and I had slept on it wrong, but it is exactly how you describe.

• Sad 2

On 4/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, jpinal205 said:

I mostly lurk but here's our family's vaccine experiences so far

My Dad (86)  - both doses of Moderna - Sore arm and fatigue

DH, dd(25), ds(21), dd(21), ds(18)  - first dose Pfizer - mildly sore arm

dd(27)  -first dose pfizer  - broke out in hives about 6 hrs post shot, benadryl for 24 hrs after

she gets hives a couple times a year usually from food.

dsil  - J&J  - fever and muscle pain for about 12 hrs

I had the 1st dose of Pfizer with dh. Immediate onset of vomiting and nausea about 3 seconds after shot. Approx 5-6 min later it was gone like someone flipped a switch. No other symptoms. I have had similar reactions to IV meds before.

My oldest was scheduled for J&J this week. Not sure what he will do, Was reluctant to begin with

I'll update after second shots.

2nd shot update

Dh - undying gratitude for this thread and the warnings about gastro issues. Didn't really believe it until 36 hrs later. Could have been very ugly if he had gone onsite with clients. He stayed home to 'humor' me

Kids at home (25, 21, 21, 18) - sore arms and headache, back and neck pain, better 12-36 hrs later.

Dd (27) - light hives even with benadryl, sore arm and fatigue

I vomited on and off for about 5 minutes right after my 2nd shot. Was prepared this time and standing outside the car, The onsite doctor stayed with me. Disappeared as suddenly as it started. I had a fever and chills and headache for several days

Oldest has decided to get the J&J this week at his place of work

Glad we are done and can head home to NY to see my dad in a few weeks

• Like 6

Guys...

We had Covid in December and we were SO sick, my dh and I.

Kids all had it but had milder cases.

So Monday, we all loaded up in the car for a lovely family field trip to the vaccine clinic at our friendly GP's office. All but my 13 yo because it's 16 and over in our state. This is for our first shot.

Monday we mostly had sore arms. All of us tossed and turned at bedtime because we're a family of restless side sleepers and we kept getting on our sore arms.

By Monday evening, my dh started feeling badly. He had a late night at work, not getting home till midnight and started running a fever around 11 p.m.. Took some Advil and went to bed around 12:30. At 4:30, 5 ish his fever spiked and he was shivering so badly he was shaking the whole bed. Got up, gave him more Advil and extra blankets and finally he dozed off around 6:30. He slept till 9 and then got up and ASKED FOR OATMEAL FOR BREAKFAST. Y'all this is huge. This man hates oatmeal with the heat of a thousand suns. He is a meat and potatoes guy, but he ate oatmeal for breakfast.  He was feeling better but not great. No fever. He went to work (I don't know if he was supposed to do that or not, but he did. His work is socially distanced and masked so there is that.)

He started feeling bad and shaking again around 2 and his co-workers told him to go home. He even had a friend text him with an offer to drive him home. (He should NOT HAVE BEEN DRIVING! HE SHOULD HAVE CALLED ME!!!!!!!!) He got home around three and he was shaking again. More Advil, some Gatorade and I sent him to bed. He aches all over and is so feverish.

Me and the girls are not feeling great. Our arms are very sore, we;re tired and kinda achy. DD16 is headachy. But we're coping. We're probably at 60%.  My dd19 says it feels like she took 2 benadryl and someone beat her all over.

My dh is in the bed and should stay there the rest of the day and hopefully tomorrow too.

Ill be totally shocked if my dh wants to go back for the second shot. He is so miserable.  

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Sad 7

6 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Guys...

We had Covid in December and we were SO sick, my dh and I.

Kids all had it but had milder cases.

So Monday, we all loaded up in the car for a lovely family field trip to the vaccine clinic at our friendly GP's office. All but my 13 yo because it's 16 and over in our state. This is for our first shot.

Monday we mostly had sore arms. All of us tossed and turned at bedtime because we're a family of restless side sleepers and we kept getting on our sore arms.

By Monday evening, my dh started feeling badly. He had a late night at work, not getting home till midnight and started running a fever around 11 p.m.. Took some Advil and went to bed around 12:30. At 4:30, 5 ish his fever spiked and he was shivering so badly he was shaking the whole bed. Got up, gave him more Advil and extra blankets and finally he dozed off around 6:30. He slept till 9 and then got up and ASKED FOR OATMEAL FOR BREAKFAST. Y'all this is huge. This man hates oatmeal with the heat of a thousand suns. He is a meat and potatoes guy, but he ate oatmeal for breakfast.  He was feeling better but not great. No fever. He went to work (I don't know if he was supposed to do that or not, but he did. His work is socially distanced and masked so there is that.)

He started feeling bad and shaking again around 2 and his co-workers told him to go home. He even had a friend text him with an offer to drive him home. (He should NOT HAVE BEEN DRIVING! HE SHOULD HAVE CALLED ME!!!!!!!!) He got home around three and he was shaking again. More Advil, some Gatorade and I sent him to bed. He aches all over and is so feverish.

Me and the girls are not feeling great. Our arms are very sore, we;re tired and kinda achy. DD16 is headachy. But we're coping. We're probably at 60%.  My dd19 says it feels like she took 2 benadryl and someone beat her all over.

My dh is in the bed and should stay there the rest of the day and hopefully tomorrow too.

Ill be totally shocked if my dh wants to go back for the second shot. He is so miserable.  

Did everyone receive Pfizer?