Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

47 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I haven't had the covid vaccine yet, but the Shingrix shots made my arm SO sore.  It was so sore that I was actually amused by it.  I have no idea why it made my arm so sore when other vaccines don't.  

33 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I was just coming on here to say the same thing!!!  That sucker hurt -- both times!

Yes, my arm got very red and swollen after the first Shingrix shot. Thankfully it looked worse than it felt (it was sore, but not horrible). I'm due for my second one in a couple of weeks, and then (hopefully) I'll be able to get a Covid vaccine a couple of weeks after that.

3 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

The only reaction was that my Mom's RA seems to have kick up for the last 3 weeks.

I'm kind of concerned about what my RA will do, especially since I'm due for the second Shingrix vaccine and then will (hopefully) get the Covid a couple of weeks after that. Ideally I'd like them spread out more, but the timing karma hasn't been on my side.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Yes, my arm got very red and swollen after the first Shingrix shot. Thankfully it looked worse than it felt (it was sore, but not horrible). I'm due for my second one in a couple of weeks, and then (hopefully) I'll be able to get a Covid vaccine a couple of weeks after that.

I'm kind of concerned about what my RA will do, especially since I'm due for the second Shingrix vaccine and then will (hopefully) get the Covid a couple of weeks after that. Ideally I'd like them spread out more, but the timing karma hasn't been on my side.

I honestly think Mom's had as much to do with stress and the missed dose of her RA meds than a reaction to the vaccine. Under other circumstances she might have waited on the vaccine, but those who are in and out of her house are not careful about Covid and she's on immune suppressing drugs.

I don't know about the Shingrix shot, but I had a mild case of shingles last summer, and I can see how a full-blown case would be absolute misery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Maybe a dumb question, but does anyone know why this shot apparently hurts (at the vax site) more than other vaxes?

I was actually surprised that it hurt less than a tetanus shot but I haven't had my second one yet. I can report in a couple weeks on that one.

I am curious if the immune system is attacking a more concentrated area since the cells in that area are actually producing the protein being attacked. Just conjecture, I have no idea really, but it has crossed my mind.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:31 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Update on our vaccination status: DH got his first shot! Pro tip: don't go to a giant state-run vaccination site, sigh. He thought it was going to be a drive through, and it wasn't. There were MANY people.

Local, reliable COVID FB pages might have good information on how they are handling flow. I have been hearing this kind of information from mine. Locally, the larger sites (at least now that they have worked out a lot of kinks) are able to keep people from being bunched up indoors. I hear the biggest problem now is that the people who are there for the earliest shots sometimes assume it's going to take a long time and tend to arrive in a clump, but that could even be related to guessing how long it will take to drive there in AM traffic. 

Holy cannoli, Bat Man.  I feel crummy.  First shot was just over 24 hours ago.  I was ok this morning, but now I’m achey, low grade temp, and tired. Head feels swimmy.

The others who got the shot with me are  mostly normal.

I was sick last week, had a UTI, just finished abx two days ago.  And my immune system is wonky.  Flu shots make me sick, too.

Anyone else get hit hard the next day after one shot?

• Sad 6

Yes — my mom’s neighbor was sick for 2-3 days after the first shot, the first day she was sick enough to stay in bed, and she is a very active person.

But she had already gotten COVID so maybe it was like a 2nd shot for her?

My husband has heard of several people from work having this kind of reaction after their second shot.  None of my parents’ friends have mentioned it to them except the person I mentioned (and it was the first shot).  Everyone felt really bad for her that she got sick twice, and worried because she was sick with COVID already.  But she was better — out doing yard work — after 3-4 days.  

My sister and BIL are getting their first shot today!!!!!!!!  I’m so happy 🙂

• Thanks 1

Sorry — my husband has also heard of people from work getting sick the day after the first shot — but then they gave gotten better after a day or two.  I had thought it was only with the second shot but was wrong about that.  

Edit:  but my mom’s neighbor is the only person I have heard of notably sick after the first shot — she said it was like having COVID again.  The people my husband heard about were more just not feeling good.  

Edit again:  she is also the person who got the sickest (with COVID) out of anyone my mom knows, she almost had to go into the hospital.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  I have not had Covid.  But I do have a funky immune system.  Thus the opportunity to get the shot now.  I’ll just ride it out.

There is a chance we had Covid last year, but there was no testing then, and I think it unlikely.  We were all terribly ill, but DH had that, too and is mostly normal today.  Sore arm, little tired, head feels weird. It’s just me who is lying in bed thinking, “this hurts!”

My oldest dd got the Pfizer vaccine when Health Care providers got their vaccines in December (she is done with both doses). She didn't have any side effects.  

Phase 1C just opened on Monday, and although in Nashville they are still vaccinating teachers, here in the country there are plenty of openings for appointments.  My dd2 and I will receive our first dose of the Moderna vaccines this coming Saturday! 

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 5

I got the first Moderna shot today at Walmart in SE TN. I knew our area would not be great on vaccine uptake and the guy who gave me my shot did mention they have had more folks from GA than TN. He might have been exaggerating but there definitely are a lot of people coming over here. It’s actually making appointments a little tighter here than further NE in TN where there seem to be lots of open spots. 

It was a really quick and easy process and I was only there probably 20-25 minutes including the 15 minute wait. It was weird though- this is my regular Walmart and I haven’t been in since this started. It looked different. Lol. 

The shot itself was pretty painless. I hardly felt it and not too long ago I pulled up my sleeve to confirm I actually did get the shot. No soreness or anything yet but it has only been a couple hours.

I didn’t realize how anxious I was to get it. I am really really happy and I wasn’t really anticipating that. 

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Spryte said:

It’s stressful.  

And doubly so if you’ve had a severe allergic reaction.  I would suggest that when you go to the waiting area, depending on how your site is handling things, you let one of the nurses know that you’ve a history of allergic reactions to meds, and are concerned.  They can keep a closer eye on you.

I did not do that - I wanted to appear confident for my 80 yr old mom (who has had anaphylaxis more times than I can count), and I didn’t want her worrying.  But we did have a volunteer check in with us, when it was clear we were staying 30 mins. But ... I had my DH, who never reacts badly, and he was monitoring things pretty closely, epipens in hand, for both of us.

Do take your epipens and inhaler, if you have them!

I’ll be thinking of you.  Allergies are the worst, and this vaccine would be stressful enough without that on top of it.

Coming back to say that I had the Johnson and Johnson today and everything went fine.   I had it at a site that had the student nurses at our university administering it.  Because of that, they are very particular about all of the details.  When the student nurse started asking about allergies she immediately called the director of the clinic over to question me, approve giving me the vaccine, and to supervise.  They had rows of chairs set up for a waiting area, but put me on a couch where DH could be with me and had two people who were watching me.  

I couldn't wait untl I could leave the area and take my mask off so I could breathe fresh air--not because I was having a reaction but just the stress and wearing a mask was a bit suffocating.  The student nurse did get so flustered she forgot to mark anything on my vaccine card and I had to get that taken care of.  

So far I haen't had any reactions or side effects...

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Bootsie said:

Well, I spoke a little too soon--thankfully not an allergic reaction, but now 9 hours after the vaccine my temperature is up to 101.0 and I have chills; I seldom run fever...

1 minute ago, Bootsie said:

Well, I spoke a little too soon--thankfully not an allergic reaction, but now 9 hours after the vaccine my temperature is up to 101.0 and I have chills; I seldom run fever...

Right there with you.  It’s our immune systems working. I hope!

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

Holy cannoli, Bat Man.  I feel crummy.  First shot was just over 24 hours ago.  I was ok this morning, but now I’m achey, low grade temp, and tired. Head feels swimmy.

The others who got the shot with me are  mostly normal.

I was sick last week, had a UTI, just finished abx two days ago.  And my immune system is wonky.  Flu shots make me sick, too.

Anyone else get hit hard the next day after one shot?

My FIL felt cruddy for a few days. And we're almost certain he had never had COVID. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I had a fever that first night too - not quite as high..but I was also drinking a lot of cold fluids which may have made my oral temp lower than it really was. 

I felt okay today though, so hopefully this passes soon. 

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Have a family member who got the vaccine and had a reaction and has since been hospitalized (5 days so far) because the doctors can't get them stable.  Another family member had a bad reaction too. 

What does "had a reaction" mean in this instance, if you're willing to share?  I've heard so many things associated with the vaccine that are doubtful, and just a few that make sense to me medically.

• Like 2

First full day after the second Pfizer vaccine. My arm is sore to the touch, nothing stopping me from doing everything I want to with said arm.  I felt a little more tired than I do usually but I've been hustling all week long so that could be it. I did my scheduled run this morning. Not me best effort but it'll do.

• Like 5

Dd18 had her second Pfizer dose Wed and was in bed most of Thurs with a terrible headache, fatigue and aches. By that evening she was staring to perk up, and feeling almost back to herself today. 

Dh and I were both able to sign up at a mass vax site in OH on March 21, but my 84 year old mom hasn't had any luck in MA yet. We're checking several times a day for appointments near her. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Dd18 had her second Pfizer dose Wed and was in bed most of Thurs with a terrible headache, fatigue and aches. By that evening she was staring to perk up, and feeling almost back to herself today. 

Dh and I were both able to sign up at a mass vax site in OH on March 21, but my 84 year old mom hasn't had any luck in MA yet. We're checking several times a day for appointments near her. 

Have you seen the new pre-registration option for the MA mass vax sites? They have apparently just switched over to a system were you enter your info and then wait for an invitation by email. Then when they have available vaccine appointments to offer you, they send a link for the appointment system good for 24 hours.

The pharmacies, etc. aren't part of this switch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just updating now that it has been 48 hours for dh and 24 hours for me since first Moderna shot. No side effects other than a sore arm and that has been minor. Feels exactly like a flu shot to me as far as soreness goes. Was less painful at time of injection than flu shot. I really get headaches frequently and they get triggered by a variety of things and I fully expected to have at least a headache but nothing at all. I will be nervous about the second one though. 

My sister who is younger and healthier than I am got her first Phizer shot a week ago. She had an extremely sore arm that disrupted her sleep and felt really bad with soreness /headache/fatigue the next day. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Have a family member who got the vaccine and had a reaction and has since been hospitalized (5 days so far) because the doctors can't get them stable.  Another family member had a bad reaction too. 

That is very scary.  DH tends to get bad reactions from vaccines.  He just had tetanus yesterday and was really sick this morning - I almost called the doctor.  He's doing better now but now he's resistant to getting the Covid vaccine.  😞  

• Sad 6

21 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Quoting to update--I had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine yesterday morning, by dinner time I was having chills and running fever--my temp was between 101 and 102 all night; that is highly unusual for me. 

I wouldn't say that I have been naseauted, but I have only wanted to drink ginger ale and eat some fairly bland carbs like toast.

About 4:00am my head started hurting; earlier in the day it was more of an achey headache.  This afternoon the headache has beome worse and is more like a migraine; the boys across the street are out playing basketball and the sound of the dribbling is about to send me over the edge.  

• Sad 8

It's helpful and interesting to hear everyone's reactions!  I randomly found a little 100-year-old corner drugstore about a mile away from us that's going to vaccinate with Pfizer tomorrow.  I emailed them as soon as I heard, and the pharmacist himself called me a couple hours later!  I was looking for my dh to be vaccinated since his tier had just opened up the day before (under 65 but with health issues).  I feel like we really lucked out!  The pharmacist also said that because I'm considered a caregiver, I can get mine too.  I'm thrilled!

My dd had Pfizer and had a headache after the first, then achey and chills with the second for about a day.  Symptoms didn't kick in till about 8 hours later, for both.  Apparently my dh's sister had no symptoms at all other than a sore arm (with Pfizer), so hopefully my dh will follow that path.  Things seem to hit him hard because he has so much health stuff going on, and I really hope it goes smoothly for him.  I figure three weeks later (when we'll be due for the second vaccine) is the Saturday before Easter, so it may be a mellow Easter this year.  (Which it would've been anyway given the pandemic world we live in!)

I've been told by family members in the medical field that stronger reactions seem to occur with Pfizer.  

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

Oh -- I forgot to say that this shot hurt terribly going in!  I've never had a shot hurt like this. I am petite and don't have a lot of body fat or muscle for that matter 😅  maybe that makes a difference. 

Interesting. mine didn't hurt hardly at all - much less than other shots I've had. A lot of that seems to depend on technique of the person though, in my experience. Or, if you tense your muscle as it goes in, it will hurt a LOT more. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Interesting. mine didn't hurt hardly at all - much less than other shots I've had. A lot of that seems to depend on technique of the person though, in my experience. Or, if you tense your muscle as it goes in, it will hurt a LOT more. 

Same.  If I hadn’t had the later reaction I’d have wondered if she missed my arm, because I felt nothing when the shot actually went in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danae said:

Same.  If I hadn’t had the later reaction I’d have wondered if she missed my arm, because I felt nothing when the shot actually went in.

Yes, same here. I didn’t feel it go in.

My mother actually wondered if she’d gotten a shot at all.  I watched, so we know she had a shot.  Still, no feeling.  She’s not sore either.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

Oh -- I forgot to say that this shot hurt terribly going in!  I've never had a shot hurt like this. I am petite and don't have a lot of body fat or muscle for that matter 😅  maybe that makes a difference. 

I had the Pfizer and barely felt it going in. I am also small but have a decent amount of muscle.

My son said he didn't feel his much either but he has a high pain tolerance. He is really skinny, 130 lbs at 5'10". 

Edited by Soror

I had the Moderna 9 days ago. No pain from the shot, slight arm pain during the day. But yesterday I developed what I guess is covid arm. Large Bumps at the injection site, kind of hot, little itchy, red. Not annoying, but slightly worrisome I guess. Although everything I read says not to worry about it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

Another question:  for those who had a choice in what shot to get, what were your reasons for choosing the one you chose?

I sort of had a choice. There were different shots showing up in my area and I specifically tried to get the J&J. My reasons were: one shot and done, supposedly less side effects, closer to traditional vaccine technology than the other two, easier to store, etc. so in my mind I was more confident that the vaccine had been stored/handled properly prior to use, and finally so that I could be an example to my DH and hopefully encourage him to get it. He is super afraid of the others. So I am hoping he will be more willing to take the J&J especially after seeing that I got it and I am "fine."  

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, SKL said:

Another question:  for those who had a choice in what shot to get, what were your reasons for choosing the one you chose?

I didn't have a choice as I got mine from a site with extras and they only had one kind. But one of the reasons I jumped at the chance to go there was because they had the Pfizer and that is the one I wanted due to the efficacy rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

My sister is slender too and hers didn't hurt at all.  She said she couldn't even feel it.  But, the person giving her the shot worked with her ahead of time for half a minute on relaxing that arm until it felt like dead-weight, and then he gave her the injection.  He said if you're too tense, it'll hurt, but the more "lifeless" you can make your arm, the less it hurts.

• Like 2

I wanted Pfizer or Moderna due to better proven efficacy against mild or asymptomatic infection. I'm not the high risk person in my house, my kid with autoimmune diseases is, and he's young so won't be able to be vaccinated himself for another year, most likely. I wanted the one that reduced my chances of getting it and spreading it to him - at this point Phizer has the most info on this although Moderna is likely similar. It's why I jumped to exploit a loophole here and got vaccinated this week rather than waiting, say 6 weeks - right now they are only using Pfizer where I was going to get vaccinated but plan to switch or add Johnson and Johnson, and given my need to protect my son, Pfizer was a much better choice. 

If I was mostly worried about my own exposure/illness or my higher risk kid  was old enough to be vaccinated soon, I'd have less concern about which. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SKL said:

We were not offered a choice on the day of getting the shot, but I could have waited for another day.

I was happy to get the Pfizer because of the recent studies (linked in the vaccine thread) that Pfizer has been shown to decrease asymptomatic transmission.  I want the vaccine to help stop the spread to other people, not just for myself.  On a personal note, I live with high risk individuals who are not/won’t be vaccinated soon, and I want to limit the possibility of transmission to them or anyone else I encounter.

But I would have happily taken any shot.

• Like 2

DH drove over 80 miles to a place that specifically had Pfizer.  He could have driven a bit less (about 70 miles) and waited a few days to get either Moderna or to go to a clinic that he did not know what the vaccine would be ahead of time.  He had strong preference not to get Moderna.  His preference came from the business end--he has been tracking Moderna's stock and what some of the top executives are doing as far as selling their positions.  It is also my understanding that Moderna is over three times the amount of vaccine for about the same amount of efficacy.

My employer received 300 doses of Johnson and Johnson to give Thursday morning; I was notified Wednesday evening.  If it had not been Johnson and Johnson I may have passed on getting it.  I have had an anaphalactic reaction to IV medication before, putting me in the caution category for the vaccines.  Johnson and Johnson has seemed to have fewer severe allergic reactions and it is only one dose so I am only taking that risk one time.  I knon J&J has lower efficacy; I am not high risk; DH is the highest risk person in our household and he was able to get Pfizer.  I also wonder if J&J will offer better protection against newer variants and as time goes by it will be easier for J&J to offer a booster (that perhaps address emergent variants). 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SKL said:

When I got my first shot, the only options were Moderna and Pfizer. Our hope is for my 16 yo to get Pfizer as soon as we move to the next tier, since that is approved for that age group, unlike Moderna which is 18+. So, I actually planned to get Moderna for myself in order to split the risk/benefit. But when I was able to book my appointment, Pfizer was the vaccine at the only site with openings. I had been trying for more than 2 weeks to book a slot at a site with Moderna, chasing phantom appointments that disappeared after I entered all my info, and it could have been another month of trying, given the size of the pool, so: Pfizer was faster. 

The day I went, almost all of the vaccines were second shots for people who got the first shot 3 weeks earlier. For whatever reason, maybe 10% of the follow-up slots were not used, but the system reserved them for a while, only releasing them to the pool about 48 hours ahead of the appointment. They did say we can book +\- 4 days from the target date of 3 weeks for the repeat. Maybe they opened up because people had to reschedule. 

On 3/10/2021 at 6:27 PM, Bootsie said:

Has anyone who has experienced a severe allergic reaction to a drug recevied a COVID vaccine?  If so, what was your experience? 

When DH was signing up for an appointment, questions were asked about that.  He does not have any history of reactions.  He received the vaccine at a small town CVS and was told "hang around for a few minutes" but no one did anything to follow up or check on him.  

I HAVE had a severe allergic reaction to a medicine.  I was hoping to be able to get the vaccinne after consultation with (and under the supervision of) my physician (but that is a bit complicated because my physician who treated me at the time of the reaction has retired and I have moved--not long before COVID hit and have only seen the nurse practitioner in my new town a couple of times for minor things so she doesn't have the hsitorical experience of my reaction).  I have the opportunity to get the Johnson and Johnson vaccine tomorrow morning through my employer.  No questions about medical issues/allergies were asked when signing up;  it was simply a computer form with birthdate, name, etc.--and no place to add any info. 

I am thinking that I will be asked tomorrow when I arrive about previous reactions; I am just wondering what to expect and if they will give me the vaccine in a non-medical setting.  

I helped at a vaccination event giving the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. Everyone had a sheet we had to review prior to giving them their shot, and they had answered questions about allergic reactions and other health problems on this sheet. So you should definitely be asked about that prior to being given the vaccine. We were told that it was ok to give the shot if their allergic reaction was to a medication, but not if it was to a previous vaccine. Everyone was advised to wait and be observed for 15 minutes afterwards, and if there was any question of concerns we extended that, and asked them to wait for 30 minutes. 
The event was at a school but there were paramedics there, and anyone who felt unwell was moved over to their area and monitored by them.

I had several people I vaccinated, who had had allergic reactions to medications previously, but none of my particular patients reported especially severe previous reactions. There were very few people who had to be assessed by the paramedics while I was there, and a number of them were experiencing anxiety and panic attacks, so not really a direct vaccine reaction.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

They told us when we were giving it that the Johnson and Johnson shot did sting quite a lot. One man I gave it to said it was the first shot he’d had that hurt.