Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

I had my second Moderna shot yesterday at noon. I felt fine the rest of the day except for a mildly sore arm. By the time I went to bed at 11pm it felt like I'd been punched in the arm with the biggest fist you can imagine. It radiated out well past a normal fist size. If the area accidentally got touched or bumped the pain shot down my arm and up to my shoulder. Sleeping last night was awful. I'm a side sleeper. You can only sleep on one side for so long before you need to turn over but I couldn't turn over because the other side hurt so much. When I got up this morning I could barely move my arm but it's better now.

My arm still hurts a lot but not as bad (it was REALLY bad). My body aches and I've had a mild headache all day. It feels like the kind you get with eye strain, so not really bad. I'm running a slight fever but don't feel sick or tired. It was 100.4 about an hour ago and my normal temp runs around 97.8. 

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I had my second Moderna shot yesterday at noon. I felt fine the rest of the day except for a mildly sore arm. By the time I went to bed at 11pm it felt like I'd been punched in the arm with the biggest fist you can imagine. It radiated out well past a normal fist size. If the area accidentally got touched or bumped the pain shot down my arm and up to my shoulder. Sleeping last night was awful. I'm a side sleeper. You can only sleep on one side for so long before you need to turn over but I couldn't turn over because the other side hurt so much. When I got up this morning I could barely move my arm but it's better now.

My arm still hurts a lot but not as bad (it was REALLY bad). My body aches and I've had a mild headache all day. It feels like the kind you get with eye strain, so not really bad. I'm running a slight fever but don't feel sick or tired. It was 100.4 about an hour ago and my normal temp runs around 97.8. 

I hope you feel better soon!!! That sounds unpleasant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I hope you feel better soon!!! That sounds unpleasant. 

Thanks. It seems a bit sneaky. Hours after the shot it was "Oh, I'm fine except for a bit of a sore arm". Then it hits. I saw that @ScoutTN said the same about her mom since she came back and edited her post.

I'm taking it easy today and hoping I'll be fine tomorrow. From all I've heard it shouldn't last much longer. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

Just now, Lady Florida. said:

Thanks. It seems a bit sneaky. Hours after the shot it was "Oh, I'm fine except for a bit of a sore arm". Then it hits. I'm taking it easy today and hoping I'll be fine tomorrow. From all I've heard it shouldn't last much longer. 

That certainly seems to be what most people on this thread have experienced.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, Danae said:

I’ve had two reports from friend of friends who had long Covid that their symptoms disappeared within 24 hours of their first vaccine.  I hope that lasts and happens for more people.

It also suggests possibilities for other post-viral illnesses.

Wow. That would be extraordinary.  

I just looked at the Twitter feed for a virologist who has theorized that long Covid may be caused by a hidden reservoir of virus in the body, and lo and behold, this phenomenon seems to be being reported.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I just looked at the Twitter feed for a virologist who has theorized that long Covid may be caused by a hidden reservoir of virus in the body, and lo and behold, this phenomenon seems to be being reported.

Oh wow. That's actually kind of a scary possibility for long COVID -- it just sticks around in your body... 

2 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I just looked at the Twitter feed for a virologist who has theorized that long Covid may be caused by a hidden reservoir of virus in the body, and lo and behold, this phenomenon seems to be being reported.

By the way, I think both your links are accidentally the same? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update on our family's vaccinations: my MIL got her second dose of the vaccine. Not sure whether she had Pfizer or Moderna. Anyway, she got it on Monday, felt junky by Monday night, then felt cruddy all the next day -- fever, aches, etc. She was better by Wednesday morning. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 8

Dh got his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today.

I'll try to report in a day or two how he is feeling.

I am so immensely relieved; it's been a stressful year worrying about him because of underlying health issues. It will be nice when the rest of us can be vaccinated, but his risk was by far the greatest. I know the vaccine isn't instantaneously effective but I see light at the end of the tunnel.

And between him getting vaccinated and covid cases dropping rapidly in our area, I feel like we'll be able to move towards more normal living soon. Plan to keep wearing high quality masks but the kids will soon be able to go back to in-studio dance classes etc.

• Like 13

Just now, maize said:

And between him getting vaccinated and covid cases dropping rapidly in our area, I feel like we'll be able to move towards more normal living soon. Plan to keep wearing high quality masks but the kids will soon be able to go back to in-studio dance classes etc.

I'm really looking forward to that. We've done the best I could with the pandemic -- lots of family time, interactive Zoom classes, lots of time spent with kids playing together -- but I can't wait for things to be more normal. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Soror said:

Ds has slept almost 19 hours.  He was up last night for a bite around 10-15 minutes and  I've woken him twice today to check on him and he went right back to sleep. He is my kid that always sleeps a ton when sick big generally has few other symptoms. I thought he'd have a rougher time since he's had it before but not to this degree. 

I've heard of this pattern--if you've had Covid, you react worse to the first shot. If you haven't, you react worse to the second shot. I'm waiting to see what happens with my co-worker. She had Covid around Thanksgiving. Got her first Moderna shot 4 weeks ago and she said she felt like such a wimp that her reaction was worse than everyone else's (all educators here getting vaccinated at roughly the same time). Today she got her second shot, so I'll be curious to see how her day goes tomorrow (most of us are needing to not work the day after our second shot--down with fevers, headaches, chills, just sleeping all day).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ali in OR said:

I've heard of this pattern--if you've had Covid, you react worse to the first shot. If you haven't, you react worse to the second shot. I'm waiting to see what happens with my co-worker. She had Covid around Thanksgiving. Got her first Moderna shot 4 weeks ago and she said she felt like such a wimp that her reaction was worse than everyone else's (all educators here getting vaccinated at roughly the same time). Today she got her second shot, so I'll be curious to see how her day goes tomorrow (most of us are needing to not work the day after our second shot--down with fevers, headaches, chills, just sleeping all day).

I thought they were actually suggesting just getting one shot if you've had COVID. Or did I dream that up?? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I thought they were actually suggesting just getting one shot if you've had COVID. Or did I dream that up?? 

I have heard that as an idea recently--I haven't heard that as the official policy, and I'm not sure it's clear in each individual case? Like it wasn't the stated policy when coworker got first shot, then they scheduled her for her second shot that day, and like so many other things there is no one voice in charge saying "just get one shot if you've had Covid." So anyway, she's now had two.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I have heard that as an idea recently--I haven't heard that as the official policy, and I'm not sure it's clear in each individual case? Like it wasn't the stated policy when coworker got first shot, then they scheduled her for her second shot that day, and like so many other things there is no one voice in charge saying "just get one shot if you've had Covid." So anyway, she's now had two.

I hope she doesn't have a bad reaction to the second shot!! 

• Like 1

DH has had both of his Pfizer shots.  He was tired after the first one, sore arm.  After the second he slept for most of two days, had a headache, and a sore arm.  

I had my first Moderna on Wednesday and I'm still fatigued. I had a low fever and headache the night of my shot, and fevers exacerbate my underlying health condition, so I'm not surprised at my symptoms.  My arm does itch a little today, but only occasionally.

DH was told by Henry Ford not to take NSAIDS for a week at the time of his second shot.  I was told to avoid any intervention if possible (I already had to adjust my medications for the times around my vaccines.)  I have read about the recent study in Virology regarding this as well.  The impact is strongest if one premeditates, and in the first three days after, so maybe that's where their recommendations came from.  Here is an article that talks about it, but it's in early stages of study.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FIL 80 got his second shot yesterday. Today he's running 102 with chills. He walked to his apartment mailbox, fell, couldn't get himself up and the paramedics had to come out. They didn't bring him to the hospital, just got him back to his unit and left. I'm a little concerned that he might fall at night and not be found until his breakfast is delivered. I told him to USE HIS CANE, always a theme in our conversations. He lives in a senior apartment where they deliver meals, so there's eyes on him a few times a day. Hoping he feels a lot better tomorrow.

• Sad 10

Ds finally got up and stirring after his long sleep. He says the first day he woke up just feeling a little icky but felt worse and worse as the day went. Achy and fatigued. Yesterday (2nd day after) he was mostly just feeling fatigued. As of the evening he was still a bit tired and took another nap, we'll see how he is today.

I continue to have no reaction so it looks like I will not. 

I'm really curious if ds will need a second shot because I've heard as well they are saying they could only need 1. And if his reaction was so much this time I'm nervous it might be even worse.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Soror said:

if his reaction was so much this time I'm nervous it might be even

Anecdotal, but for the couple people here who had Covid who have also been vaccinated, the second shot has been no big deal. They reacted to the first shot worse than some others reacted to the second.

• Like 7

Dh got his first shot yesterday.     His main side effect was his bad ankle and knee hurt pretty bad.  I'm assuming due to inflammation (he needs an ankle replacement or fusion and possibly a knee replacement).  It lasted a couple of hours and went away. 

Today he seems fine but he's not much of a complainer.  

• Like 6

I got my first Pfizer yesterday, and except for a sore arm, my effects seem to be about those of having encountered a non-specific allergy. I'm itchy, had a few hives last night, although they seem to have gone down, and just feel kind of headachy and blah. The joints that have arthritis are also a bit more stiff and sore today. I'm guessing that this is just how my body reacts to anything it doesn't like that doesn't have it's own disease mechanisms. No fever, and if I HAD to work today, I could do it, but I might be pulling out activities that are more independent for the kids vs being entirely teacher led.  As it is, I expect to spend the day watching old TV shows on DVD and sleeping it off. 

I think it was @SKL who was concerned about diabetic blood sugar control. My blood sugar was running higher than normal last night after the shot (6 hours or so), but today has actually been on the low side.  According to the Fitbit, my heart rate is averaging about 10 bpm faster today than Thursday, even though Thursday I was teaching and today I'm watching old TV shows and sleeping. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 10

Dh got moderna yesterday afternoon. No issues at all beyond site being a bit sore this am. 

eta:  I spoke too soon. Almost 24 hrs on the dot, dh walked into the room saying he suddenly feels slammed. Exhausted, chills, foggy headed, achy. He is now napping. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I complained that someone stabbed me in the arm with a stake when the soreness from the 2nd shot kicked in! First one was normal, arm's a bit sore. Second was - did they stab me in the bone?? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I complained that someone stabbed me in the arm with a stake when the soreness from the 2nd shot kicked in! First one was normal, arm's a bit sore. Second was - did they stab me in the bone?? 

Yep. The first one was normal shot soreness similar to the flu shot. The second one was - what did they do to my arm?

• Like 3

Here in Colombia they want to vaccinate 35 million people. Our population is about 50 million.  They began about 10 days ago with people 80+ and some health workers. That was Group 1.   I am in Group 2.  I have been reading a lot about the 6 (?) different vaccines they have purchased. If I have a choice, which is unlikely, my preference would be for the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine. My 2nd choice would be for the Janssen (J&J) vaccine which I don't think has been approved here yet.

Probably it's like in the USA and you receive what they have since it is Free. I think Group 2 begins on Monday, 2 days from now, so this will be interesting.

Friends and relatives in the USA have had both the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine and the Moderna vaccine. A cousin in California is interested in the Janssen (J&J) vaccine probably because there is only one shot?  It is less effective and they are not sure if it works in Elderly people or not.

Awhile ago I read an interesting story (in Spanish so I am not sure of all of the details), The Colombian government sent 6000 doses to 2 "Departments" where I believe it is very hot. Sinovac from China. The temperature got out of control. Now the "INVIMA" the agency in charge of Medicines is investigating to see whether or not those doses can be used. They did approve them to be used.

Until very recently, I didn't want the Pfizer BioNTech Vaccine because it needed to be kept at -70 C, but then they said that ultra low freezer temperatures are not required. 

Our next door neighbor, 80+ is in the first group and he was vaccinated I believe 2 days ago, on Thursday. Today is Saturday. I am curious as to which vaccine he received.

Edited by Lanny
typo-removed one letter
  • Like 1

DH just had his first dose of Moderna. We drove to Alabama because they're vaccinating teachers and not limiting it to state residents. Teachers in Georgia are eligible starting March 8, but no telling how long it would take to get an appointment, so we stuck with the sure thing. He feels fine so far, but it's only been a couple of hours. He has an appointment for the second shot at the same place, but we may be able to find him one here and cancel that one.

• Like 7

DH had his first Pfizer shot 2 days ago. Zero side effects other than a sore arm. 

I had my second Moderna shot a few hours ago. My arm is really sore and I'm feeling tired and cranky. My sweet 12.5 year old boy asked if I was feeling ok, and was there anything he could bring me to help? ❤️ Such a sweetheart.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

DH had his first Pfizer shot 2 days ago. Zero side effects other than a sore arm. 

I had my second Moderna shot a few hours ago. My arm is really sore and I'm feeling tired and cranky. My sweet 12.5 year old boy asked if I was feeling ok, and was there anything he could bring me to help? ❤️ Such a sweetheart.  

From the experiences on this thread, I'd settle in for a crappy 24 hours 😕 . 

Glad your DS is stepping up! 🙂 

• Like 1

So glad to know vaccinations are zipping along!

Happy for y'all but I'm feeling so jealous too.  In my state I'm eligible but not in my county or the county of my doctor or job.  (under 65 with certain medical conditions)

I'm also eager for dh and dc to be vaccinated.

I was hoping to get vaccinated before J&J was okayed because I really want the two shot vaccine.

• Like 1

The first 24 hours after my first dose of Pfizer was like a bad, but not ER worthy, allergic reaction with a sore arm added. Headache, hives and itching, and just plain feeling very fatigued. My joints that have arthritis ached a lot. Now that I'm about 48 hours out, the symptoms are mostly abated. Based on that experience, I'm really glad my return appointment is also on a Friday, so I have two days to hopefully recover before I need to teach on Monday. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

The first 24 hours after my first dose of Pfizer was like a bad, but not ER worthy, allergic reaction with a sore arm added. Headache, hives and itching, and just plain feeling very fatigued. My joints that have arthritis ached a lot. Now that I'm about 48 hours out, the symptoms are mostly abated. Based on that experience, I'm really glad my return appointment is also on a Friday, so I have two days to hopefully recover before I need to teach on Monday. 

Hmmm. That would make me nervous about the second shot, which is supposed to be much worse. Have you talked to anyone about that? 

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmm. That would make me nervous about the second shot, which is supposed to be much worse. Have you talked to anyone about that? 

I plan to call my immunologist on Monday and see what they recommend. I'm actually wondering if maybe I've been exposed enough since I have been teaching in person so that this was not the first immune response (maybe I never had enough viral load to get an active infection, due to the masking, Distancing, no shared materials, HEPA filtration, etc?). Or maybe my immune system is just being annoying. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I plan to call my immunologist on Monday and see what they recommend. I'm actually wondering if maybe I've been exposed enough since I have been teaching in person so that this was not the first immune response (maybe I never had enough viral load to get an active infection, due to the masking, Distancing, no shared materials, HEPA filtration, etc?). Or maybe my immune system is just being annoying. 

That seems like a good idea. 

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

First or second shot? 

Also, ouch. 

First.

It hurts enough that I can’t really forget about it, or get distracted enough not to notice it, but it isn’t bothering me, because I’m just so happy to have gotten the vaccine.  It’s like a constant damn that hurts and that means life will be back to normal sooner, hurray!

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, kand said:

Does anyone know how long is too long to consider a reaction a normal immune response to vaccine? I’m beginning to be concerned about my dad. He had his shot Tuesday morning, snd I think it wasn’t until Thursday he started feeling bad. Achey, fever, chills, which is all normal, but also heavy night sweats soaking through clothes and eye pain. He’s today starting to feel better he says, but this seems longer than I would expect for a vaccine reaction. I’m suggesting a drive through test. 

My mother-in-law was miserable for almost three weeks after her first dose.  But I’m not sure how much of it was direct vaccine reaction and how much of it was that she got into a spiral of not eating well and not sleeping well during the initial reaction.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, kand said:

Does anyone know how long is too long to consider a reaction a normal immune response to vaccine? I’m beginning to be concerned about my dad. He had his shot Tuesday morning, snd I think it wasn’t until Thursday he started feeling bad. Achey, fever, chills, which is all normal, but also heavy night sweats soaking through clothes and eye pain. He’s today starting to feel better he says, but this seems longer than I would expect for a vaccine reaction. I’m suggesting a drive through test. 

Oooh. That sounds unpleasant 😕 . I know there've been other delayed reactions on this thread, though. 

9 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh. Sorry you're feeling junky!

On the bright side of things, that means your immune system is doing its job! 😉 Go antibodies, go! 

I am mostly back to normal now. My arm is still heckin' sore, and I'm tired because I didn't sleep well last night, but otherwise normal. 

Oof, what a bumpy ride it was!  But well worth it! In a few weeks, I can do exotic things like: Go to the eye doctor! Get a mammogram! Get labwork drawn! Woohoo! 😄

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I am mostly back to normal now. My arm is still heckin' sore, and I'm tired because I didn't sleep well last night, but otherwise normal. 

Oof, what a bumpy ride it was!  But well worth it! In a few weeks, I can do exotic things like: Go to the eye doctor! Get a mammogram! Get labwork drawn! Woohoo! 😄

YAY!!! I hope your arm feels better soon. 

On 2/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, happi duck said:

So glad to know vaccinations are zipping along!

Happy for y'all but I'm feeling so jealous too.  In my state I'm eligible but not in my county or the county of my doctor or job.  (under 65 with certain medical conditions)

I'm also eager for dh and dc to be vaccinated.

I was hoping to get vaccinated before J&J was okayed because I really want the two shot vaccine.

Do you have to get it in your county? In TN, we do not.