Menu

Do you sleep with your phone nearby?

JIN MOUSA

I'm definitely changing my phone habits in regards to it being in the room where I sleep.  That's pretty compelling evidence about electronics giving off something that isn't good for our bodies.  It made me wonder if computers have the same effect.  Sitting in front of one all day can't be good either but it's how dh makes his living!  

I put my phone in the living room last night.  I didn't hear the alarm at first this morning and I was so stiff it was hard to get up and move to the living room to shut it off LOL.  I want to buy an old school alarm clock now.  But it leads to the electronic question...is it an issue as well?  What is the line in the sand about electronics being close to us??  

I'm moving where it stays at night, but I just have so many more questions.  I need to go get some wheatgrass and set up seeds all around the house near the electronics LOL

• Like 1

Yes. I am available to my daughters 24/7 and they have been known to text me in the wee hours of the a.m. They don't like calling the house phone because then it will wake up DH. They do that only when they are in serious trouble like being stuck at a university while her date was at a frat house getting drunk. Yes, that happened. I also use my phone for alarms throughout the day so it's near me all the time. I hope nothing bad happens to me but I depend on this little gadget for so much!

• Like 2

I don't have a cell.  There is a landline into my room but it is all the way across the other side and oriented so I can't see the red light on it.

I find lights very distracting.  Dh's alarm is an old digital clock radio with a red light - actually it is the one I got for my 12th birthday - but he is fat so I can't see it from my side of the bed.  I think I might need a clock now but I will just get a regular one with arms.

I have slept with my phone within arm's reach, but not under my pillow or anything that close. Now this article has me thinking that's not far enough away?

http://awarenessact.com/a-group-of-grade-9-students-made-a-startling-discover-about-wi-fi-capturing-the-attention-of-international-scientists/

But, what did that prove?  Was it a process that is only in cress plants?  Only in plants?  Plants don't have brains or human cells.  I think that it is an interesting experiment and one worthy of a lot more study.  And of course it might ultimately be the start of research on the effect on humans but the experiment itself isn't some definitive proof about cell phones and people. 

• Like 8

Mine is on my nightstand while I sleep. With kids all over the country and elderly dad and father in law, I just sleep better knowing if they need me I'll hear my phone. 

During the day my phone is usually close to me- in my pocket or within arm's reach, so I figure having it that close at night is probably not any more dangerous. 

• Like 3

All digital devices charge in the living room. It is much easier to enforce “no phones or tablets in bedrooms†for DD since DH and I habitually do the same thing.

I have a fitness tracker that you can set to vibrate for an alarm, so I use that as my “clockâ€.

The other thing is, we can hear our downstairs phone if it rings at night.  We'd not pick it up in time, but we'd see who called and they could leave a message or call back if its an emergency.

So I would actually not care much if we had no phone jack in our room.

We have a landline but not in our bedroom.  During the time dh's mom was sick we were pretty stressed and there were nights that he or I would dream we heard the phone ringing.  We would dream that there was something wrong with MIL (usually because during the day she had trouble) and we'd wake up and not hear the phone but have to get up to go check caller ID to see if we missed a call. Then we had trouble getting back to sleep, as getting up wakes each other up and we end up talking about it. 

Much easier now to reach over and check my cell to see nobody has called.  

I wish we had phones like when I was a kid- those babies were LOUD when they rang. Now that I could hear!

I use mine to sleep at night.  I turn it on Airplane mode, so hopefully I am reducing any emissions or other nasties to an absolute minimum.  It sits in my bedside drawer, about an arm's length from me.    I occasionally worry about it but don't have any plan b to be able to listen to audiobooks which are critical to my ability to sleep.....

Anne

We got rid of our landline ages ago, so my cell stays on my bedside table. We use it as our alarm, since I sleep so lightly that I just leave it on a vibrate alarm. I don't keep any notifications on my phone as a general rule, so other than a text or phone call (which would probably mean something important), it doesn't go off much once we're in bed.

• Like 1

We haven't had a land line in over twenty years. My cell phone stays on my night table, right beside me. My boys may be (technically) all grown up adults, but if they need me I want to be available. FWIW my iPad and Kindle also live on/in the night table. I need a LOT more reason to change than the inked article.

• Like 3

Yes. One high school science fair project that doesn’t control for numerous variables, that is done on plant seeds, and has not been replicated is not what I call compelling evidence. The controlled, repeated, and accepted scientific consensus indicates that cell phones and WiFi are safe. My devices stay where they are.

• Like 4

Mine's on my nightstand, dh's is usually on his... if it's not floating around in the bed somewhere.

I think it's an interesting experiment and I'd love to see it researched further.  But I'm not afraid of any significant human damage.  If you put salt on plants, they'll shrivel up and die. That doesn't keep me from salting my food.

• Like 1

Yes. We don't have a landline. When we did I always had a phone next to the bed. If something happens to a family member (and we have received those middle of the night calls in the past) I want the phone nearby so I can answer it quickly. 

As for the study, others pointed out and linked to the fact that it was flawed and not repeatable.

• Like 1

We have a landline but not in our bedroom.  During the time dh's mom was sick we were pretty stressed and there were nights that he or I would dream we heard the phone ringing.  We would dream that there was something wrong with MIL (usually because during the day she had trouble) and we'd wake up and not hear the phone but have to get up to go check caller ID to see if we missed a call. Then we had trouble getting back to sleep, as getting up wakes each other up and we end up talking about it. 

Much easier now to reach over and check my cell to see nobody has called.  

I wish we had phones like when I was a kid- those babies were LOUD when they rang. Now that I could hear!

I've been keeping my eye out for an old phone in an antique store - mostly I want one that has a cord so it will work in a power outage.

• Like 1

We do not have a landline and I work as a midwife so a cell next to my bed has been the norm for 10 plus years. Recently I have begun to be nervous about possible effects and concerned about my own reliance/addiction and so I have started to charge it across the room. I can still hear it if it rings at night which I need to be able to but it's not right next to me and I can't use it in bed which was becoming a problem for me. Minor kids with devices are required to charge them in the upstairs library away from their rooms overnight.

I sleep with my phone on the night stand near the bed.  Turned on.  Although I have a clock, the alarm in the clock doesn't work any more.  I may begin turning the phone off.  I did read the article the OP linked to. If they can replicate those results, elsewhere, that will be quite interesting. 

NOTE: I believe there would be more of an effect, if the Signal is very weak. In that case, I believe the Power Level is automatically increased. More power = more radiation. Try to use Cell Phones in a Strong Signal area whenever possible and not in a Weak Signal area.

I keep my phone within arms reach.  I tend to wake up at about 2am, and my phone allows me to read something to help my brain shut off and help me get back to sleep.  I used to have to get up, go to the couch, turn on a lamp and read.  Now I can just click on my book and get back to sleep within just a few minutes...

• Like 1

My phone is on my nightstand next to my bed. This is a fairly recent development since my iPod died. I like listening to podcasts and audiobooks before falling asleep and I have a great set of Bluetooth sleep headphones. I have it set to night mode from 10pm-7am, so I'm not disturbed. I do have a few numbers programmed in for emergency calls (both parents, my brother, etc). 

• Like 2

I have slept with my phone within arm's reach, but not under my pillow or anything that close. Now this article has me thinking that's not far enough away?

http://awarenessact.com/a-group-of-grade-9-students-made-a-startling-discover-about-wi-fi-capturing-the-attention-of-international-scientists/

Um, No. 

In response to that study... I say not so fast.

My DD14 did a science project on this exact thing (because of this article and similar ones trolling on FB).  She had VERY different results- project culminated in early December.  I haven't made a YOUTUBE video presentation. Maybe I should.   LOL  It's realllllly a simply project to replicate (if you have grow lights).

Those kiddos hardly used the scientific method on their experiment.  They neglected to have a control seeds.  Nor did they measure/verify WIFI signal levels.  

DD used radish seeds and had 4 containers- placed around our house in No signal, High signal, Medium Signal, Low signal zones.  The no signal zone was the hardest, so we recreated a poor mans "Faraday cage" used a stainless steel container with lid (and verified no signal with phone app). She used controlled watering, as well as controlled light source (grow lamp turned on/off exactly the same amounts- all containers were in a dark environment).  WIFI signal was measured and recorded. 

One control (in a stainless steel enclosure that did not allow any signal in) so NO WIFI but equal lights and water

One w/in 12" of WIFI router

One in Medium WIFI signal strength

One in Low WIFI signal strength

ALL of the seeds sprouted beautifully.   Observation was 5 weeks. She photographed and measured all seedlings and plants weekly. Side by side & color coded.  

RESULTS?  Control was the biggest, by about 1/4".  We noticed that there was a lot of condensation in the stainless steel environment which could account for additional growth.  Tied for second place?  HIGH wifi signal and LOW wifi signal.  Medium wifi signal was the lowest.  

So, inconclusive if you're being tedious.  

I still sleep with my phone next to my bed.  :)  My phone is no better/worse than the WIFI router downstairs in my husbands office- which by the way, is constantly sending signal 24/7.

• Like 3

I can't find it now, but I recently read in what I considered to be a credible news source about possible dangers (cancer was one, but there were others) of cell phones at night.

My son uses my cell to listen to stories while falling asleep. I decided, after reading, that there was enough possible concern to put it on airplane mode at night. That's an option for using the cell for an alarm too I'd assume. 

Edited by sbgrace

So, is it the WiFi signal or the cell phone coverage or just "electronics" that is thought to be dangerous?

We have never-activated phones that we use as mp3 players (and I use mine on the house wifi as another way to access the weather & internet). They are frequently used for listening to audiobooks at night. The airplane mode is always on - no cell service regardless - but mine does have wifi on most of the time.

I've read real studies in my engineering magazines about cancer risk & such, but it isn't ever clear to me what they think the actual danger stems from.

My phone is on my nightstand next to my bed. This is a fairly recent development since my iPod died. I like listening to podcasts and audiobooks before falling asleep and I have a great set of Bluetooth sleep headphones. I have it set to night mode from 10pm-7am, so I'm not disturbed. I do have a few numbers programmed in for emergency calls (both parents, my brother, etc).

Do you happen to have a link for the headphones?

Our phones are on our nightstands. We don't have a landline. I try to make sure that my phone is loud enough that texts/IMs wake me up. Last year, my bff texted when her husband had a heart attack in the middle of the night. Sometimes I'll get a message that I don't need to see right away, but I don't have any problem falling right back asleep. It's never been so bad that I need to set it on Do Not Disturb.

My land line is next to my bed. Yes, we still have a land line. I don't give out my cell phone number to every Tom, Dick and Harry. :D So yes, I have a phone nearby. I leave my cell phone downstairs. I would probably hear it if it rang.

Ugh I wish I still had a land line, but it was getting EXPENSIVE! I hate cell phones.