Menu

Husband laid off

Janeway

Do you know what his prospects are for another job - locally - or with relocation?  If you're interested in Boardie networking, share what you can.  Obviously there are no promises, but it seems Rule #1 when job hunting is to let everyone you can know because you never know where a lead could come from.

In general though -  :grouphug: , lots of  :grouphug: and best wishes for something good to turn up.

• Like 2

Do you know what his prospects are for another job - locally - or with relocation?  If you're interested in Boardie networking, share what you can.  Obviously there are no promises, but it seems Rule #1 when job hunting is to let everyone you can know because you never know where a lead could come from.

In general though -  :grouphug: , lots of  :grouphug: and best wishes for something good to turn up.

:grouphug:  And right before the holidays... :cursing:

If you feel okay sharing general region or state and type of industry, we could all put our heads together.

Some options are:

Headhunters

Monster.com

Indeed.com

Glassdoor.com

Your local Craig's list

Previous employers / colleagues

• Like 1

Happened twice here, but each time was short. The first time DH and I worked at the same company and both got laid off on the same day when the company closed our office. The second time I was 8 months pregnant with our second son.

Other than the time my husband called me from work to gasp out, "They're taking me to the ER..." (It was kidney stones), hearing the we'd lost jobs was the most frightened I've been in my life. Where you literally feel the adrenaline pouring through your body from your head to your feet, as it washes through your veins and your stomach feels like you were punched.

I feel for you. We prayed a lot. God came through.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, it's hard but you can get through this.  We've had two lengthy spells (greater than 6 months) and several short term (less than 2 months).  Here's what I've learned:  Immediately cut any unnecessary expenses.  This would include both your gymnastics and preschool dilemnas. Yes it's hard to say no to the kids but this is real life and there is no point pretending that reality isn't happening.  You don't know how long you may need to stretch your resources out and you don't want to spend it on something now if this turns out to be a long term thing.  I also learned to only buy what I try needed TODAY,. Not tomorrow, not next week, not because something is on sale but because it was truly needed today.  That simple mindset not only helped me conserve resources (because there was very few things that were truly needed today) but it also helped me not stress about tomorrow because I could rest in the fact that I what was truly NEEDED today was already taken care of.  I didn't dwell on tomorrow or things down the road.  Live in the present only. 

If you are not opposed to government aid, apply the day he gets the official word.  The clock starts ticking from the day you apply.  It usually takes a month a more around for you to see any aid to come through so the sooner you start the wheels turning the sooner you will have some extra help.  If it turns out he gets another job, it is much easier to stop the process.

Also we found DH and I really had to work on touching base often or the stress just lead to petty arguments.  I was often doing job searches while he was out networking, interviewing etc.  I would show him what I found and he would pare them down to things that were a good fit.  But it saved him some time by my having down some of the searches.  Remember you are a team and need to work together.  It's easy to try to be strong and not the other know how you are feeling but we found we really need to make sure we shared the good a bad feelings during this time so we could brainstorm together the best way to handle all the decisions that needed to be made.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 7

I agree with all of the above.

First, I am so sorry.  That is so hard. Our jobless time came bc we left a job and moved back to our home country. But it was a stressful time--the hardest part was not knowing when he would have a job again. 

I do regret not going on WIC.  I also didn't understand some of the other options like CHIP. We were moving home from Canada and there had been changes that I didn't understand.  I was silly to worry about the things I worried about with regard to assistance. I think it would have taken some pressure off of my dh.

And double yes to cutting unnecessary expenses.  Also, we tend to get used to dropping $10 here, $10 there for small things.  Try to stop all of that.  We do pay as you go cell phones use and it's much cheaper and works fine.  We have basic basic cable, but have gone with none and survived easily on library videos.   I think it is good and healthy for kids to learn that in times like this you cut back.  I found a lot of free options in the area we moved to temporarily. 

Anyway, enough advice.  I know mostly you need to hear that it will be okay.  It will be. You will make it through. 

• Like 3

I am so sorry to hear this.  We went through this in 2008-2010 and in some ways still haven't fully recovered.  

I second the idea of cutting out all non-essentials.  When it happened to us it was happening all over and we saw some families go into and deeper into debt because they didn't want to cut anything.  They thought another job would be just around the corner and it would be wrong to disrupt their kids' lives for what might be a short term financial hiccup.  We told the kids that we were going to be OK, but we would have to work together as a family.   We were upfront with the kids that things would be tight for the holidays.  They were OK with this.  I had to adjust my thinking to the fact that I now had more time than money for just about everything

One website that really helped me was theprudenthomemaker.com

Praying that this really will be just a little blip for you and that you will be able to not feel overwhelmed by the challenges ahead.

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

Sorry. From btdt, dont be shy about letting people know if you need help and that your dh is looking. There are community resources for the family that can be helpful, as well as people who have short term small jobs.