Menu

Husband laid off

Janeway

I am so sorry to hear this. We went through this in 2008-2010 and in some ways still haven't fully recovered.

I second the idea of cutting out all non-essentials. When it happened to us it was happening all over and we saw some families go into and deeper into debt because they didn't want to cut anything. They thought another job would be just around the corner and it would be wrong to disrupt their kids' lives for what might be a short term financial hiccup. We told the kids that we were going to be OK, but we would have to work together as a family. We were upfront with the kids that things would be tight for the holidays. They were OK with this. I had to adjust my thinking to the fact that I now had more time than money for just about everything

One website that really helped me was theprudenthomemaker.com

Praying that this really will be just a little blip for you and that you will be able to not feel overwhelmed by the challenges ahead.

Amber in SJ

This.

There are many things that you think are essential, that aren't.

The frugal gazette by Amy dacyzyn is also a good resource.

Mine, too. He found out by way of third party when we returned from our vacation two weeks ago.

I feel your pain.

:grouphug: my hubby let everyone know he was looking for a job once his previous company announced it. Word of mouth got him interviews and his current job. He applied online but it was internal connections that make sure his application stand a chance. My hubby just return the favor of employee referrals when he could. Edited by Arcadia