Menu

What does your menu look like?

Mommy22alyns

For Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate.   :001_smile:

I'm trying to come up with ideas for Christmas Day dinner and I have nothing.  Everybody's sick right now and I just want to go back to bed and forget that Stuff is coming upon us!  I'm trying to decide whether to do a ham or finger foods/appetizers.  Just 5 of us celebrating.

For Christmas breakfast, we do sausage pinwheels, eggnog pancakes, sticky  buns made with Grands biscuits, and I'm thinking of a hash brown casserole this year.

Christmas Eve - appetizers from the freezer section of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (we're all very busy that day)

Christmas Day -

Breakfast Tradition: Pillsbury orange rolls, scrambled eggs, sausage (usually vegan)

Lunch: whatever leftovers are around

Dinner Tradition: Emphasis on local foods - 

fresh local seafood (either tuna or swordfish, maybe some scallops, oysters, or little necks), roasted brussel sprouts (grown locally), homemade cranberry sauce (cranberries from a local bog). butternut squash (grown locally), and fresh rolls. Dessert: Trader Joe's Peppermint Joe Joes Ice Cream.

We do something different for Christmas each year.

This year, cinnamon rolls and sausage scramble for breakfast.

Some kind of pork loin for dinner, with homemade rolls and ????

Last year, we had overnight French toast for breakfast and Thanksgiving redux for dinner.

Dessert is always birthday cake, as youngest ds was born on 12/25. :)

Christmas Eve: usually dry ham and questionable sides at my mother's, but I likely will be in charge of cooking this year. Maybe lasagna?

Christmas morning: egg/waffle/sausage casserole (sounds weird but it's delicious), orange rolls, fruit salad, and "Disney punch" (mango, passion fruit, OJ) with either sparkling water or prosecco.

Christmas dinner: beef tenderloin, potatoes Anna, and a big green salad. Rum cake and cookies.

Christmas Eve--finger food, cookies, cake....I love Christmas Eve :)

Christmas --brunch land of nod cinnamon rolls and breakfast casserole and fruit salad 

Christmas --dinner  beef bourguignon, salad and crusty bread with sour cream coconut cake and strawberry pretzel salad  

This year:

Christmas Eve is Red Beans and Sausage (cooked all day in the crockpot) with rice and corn bread. mmmmmmmmmm.

Christmas Day Breakfast: Mountain Man Caserole - cooked by DH in a dutch oven.  Sausage, eggs, peppers, mushrooms.

Since Breakfast is served late, in the evening, we will have Bacon Crackers, mozarella sticks, Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms and homemade rolls for dinner.  And too many Cookies, of course!

Christmas Eve - Some kind of chicken and potatoes (Our freezer is full of chickens and we have tons of potatoes.)

Christmas Day - Baked oatmeal and fancy peaches for breakfast/brunch/lunch

Supper/Dinner - Shrimp Pasta Salad (It looks easy and will be good for taking leftovers to the potluck we are going to the next day.) We will probably also make deviled eggs.

Cookies, cookies, and more cookies will be the dessert. If I am feeling ambitious I will make a pie or bars too.

Christmas Eve will be tamales and shrimp coktel.

Christmas day will be bagels with lox for breakfast.

Snacky stuff for lunch (several dips, sausage balls, crudites, etc)

Barbecue for supper.  Butt, briskey, turkey, mac and cheese, collards, slaw, potato salad, pickles, chips, white bread.

Boxing Day will be Brunswick stew.

Christmas Eve for us is always a finger foods kind of buffet situation; a veggie tray, a fruit tray, chips and dips, maybe some potato skins and mozzarella sticks...that kind of stuff.

Christmas Day dinner is a Tofurky roast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, brown gravy, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, crescent rolls and assorted Christmas cookies.

christmas eve is our big dinner.  the menu changes every year.  dh has joked about lobster (but I have kids who don't like it.)

so far:

dh's dinner rolls (there would be mutiny if we didn't.)

I'm inclined to a pineapple salad (it has cool-whip & mayo - which is really scary. but it's really good.)

fruit cake

egg nog

norwegian style smoked salmon,  & brie, with baguettes

martinelli's

chocolates

breakfast:

probably dutch babies, bacon,

panettone

egg nog

orange juice

Christmas Eve is at my SIL's and the menu is beef tenderloin. I am taking green salad and mushroom casserole.

Christmas Day is just us, 2 adults and 2 kids, plus my mom.

Cinnamon rolls and egg casserole for breakfast. And chocolate from the stockings, of course!

Ham, potato casserole, green veg, curried fruit and pecan pie for dinner.

My husband and I made cheese fondue our Christmas Eve tradition years ago.  Then that rascally son of mine confessed a few years ago that he really doesn't like it. So we rewrote the script and came up with a fondue that all would like.  We cook shrimp and cauliflower in a garlicky beer/oil mixture.  Yum!

Christmas morning we eat a potato/smoked fish frittata accompanied by Moravian Sugar Cake. 

Christmas dinner?  I haven't figure that out yet.  We sometimes have Bang Bang Chicken (inspired by Terry Pratchett's Hogfather), sometimes crab enchiladas. I need to ask the boys if they have any ideas.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 1

For Christmas morning, I want to make "Puffs" and Orange Rolls, which was a tradition in DH's family. (Puffs go by other names, like Doughboys. They are just sweet dough, in the deep fryer, until they puff up into a yummy little fritter pastry.) I am challenged to see if MIL recalls the recipe, or else I need to find a suitable dough recipe. (Suggestions welcome.) I believe the orange rolls are made with the same dough.

I don't know. I might do cinnamon toast for breakfast on Christmas day. Maybe.

I'm not sure what everybody else is eating for Christmas, but I'll probably make myself a little steak and pan-sear some shrimp to share. Maybe make up some broccoli or cauliflower, some cranberry sauce and roast some fingerling potatoes with garlic and rosemary. It's simply safer for me to take my own plate so that nobody else has to worry about whether I'll get glutened or not.

Now dessert I haven't quite figured out yet...I'm thinking about a dark chocolate caramel walnut tart. Naturally, I'd share that too. Maybe. :D

Christmas Eve: filt mignon, twice baked potatoes, asparagus, salad, bread, cheesecake.

Christmas Day:

Breakfast - Eggs Benedict, cinnamon rolls or baked French toast

Rest of the day - Honey Baked ham and turkey, potato salad, cole slaw, rolls, relish tray

Edited by Cindy in FL.

Solsitice, 21st - picnic lunch with sticky chicken drumsticks (already in marinade in the freezer ready for baking)

22nd - Jamie Oliver Bomeless Roast Chicken with stuffing plus salad and rolls

23rd - pork roast plus green beans or carrots served topped with pinenuts and fried onions. Potatoe salad.

24th - pizza so kitchen stays clean

25th

Breakfast - fried bacon and egg at home with hash browns from the local MacDonalds

Lunch - picnic with leftover meat from the 22nd and 23rd and deli foods

Dinner - We booked a restaurant in the town where we'll be holidaying but I forgot which one! Will have to phone around next week.

Christmas Eve meatballs

Christmas day will be gf monkey bread this year & smoked bacon covered turkey with taters, gravy, veggies. Etc.

Do you have a recipe you can share for GF monkey bread?

When we are at home, we do waffles and bacon for Christmas Eve and appleskievers with strawberries and whipped cream for Christmas morning. For Christmas dinner we usually have ham, mashed potatoes, homemade applesauce, green salads, a couple of green vegetables (peas and Brussels sprouts for sure and either brocolli or asparagus) and canned cranberry jelly. With three cooks it is quick and easy.

The last couple of years we've been travelling as a family for the holidays and will do so again this year. Last year we all had Afghan food for the first tIme as a special Christmas Eve dinner. We were flying on Christmas Day and were very happy to find some good burgers and salads at the airport, as there weren't many places open.

MIL wants duck. Duck is not my favorite but I'll eat it. Her husband, bae's step-dad, prefers goose, as do I. I am not the world's biggest fan of waterfowl. I'd prefer pheasant. But I have no clue how to cook it except over a fire (long story) so I guess duck it is.

I have some duck eggs from a family farm so maybe I'll make duck hollandaise sauce?

Would that be too weird, or is it more like salmon topped with caviar?

For breakfast we are having a basket of bagels, muffins and croissants delivered. A local shop does this every major holiday and it has become a tradition for us. Lunch will be whatever is handy. For dinner we always do a prime rib. I like to keep the sides simple to showcase the meat, so it will probably be baked potatoes, steamed broccoli and creamed onion gratin.

We do a big family Christmas eve, and I have no idea what to do this year. I'm tired of being exhausted at the end of it, so I'm trying to figure out the easiest thing to have that can feed a crowd. Hoping to get some ideas from this thread.😃

Edited by dsmith

For Christmas morning, I want to make "Puffs" and Orange Rolls, which was a tradition in DH's family. (Puffs go by other names, like Doughboys. They are just sweet dough, in the deep fryer, until they puff up into a yummy little fritter pastry.) I am challenged to see if MIL recalls the recipe, or else I need to find a suitable dough recipe. (Suggestions welcome.) I believe the orange rolls are made with the same dough.

I have an orange roll recipe suggestion: http://www.howdoesshe.com/sweet-glazed-orange-roll-recipe/

They're ridiculously good.

• Like 1

This year is our first to do the full meal here at my house. We had been having Christmas breakfast here with my immediate family (kids/grandkids) and then all going to my sister's for our big gathering, so I wasn't really doing anything other than a quiche, some homemade biscuits or cinnamon rolls, and hot cider or mimosas.

My plan for this year had been to do a whole beef tenderloin with some sides, but I have decided I'll do a pot of gumbo instead. We have been helping dd and her dh update a little house they are buying and we hosted the gathering for my entire family of nearly 60 this past weekend, so keeping things a little cheaper than originally planned is a must.

I'm going to do chicken and sausage gumbo, potato salad and dds are going to bring a couple of finger foods and dips for us to enjoy while we open gifts (our gift opening takes a LONG time because of my evil ways). ;-P

Christmas Eve: usually dry ham and questionable sides at my mother's, but I likely will be in charge of cooking this year. Maybe lasagna?

Christmas morning: egg/waffle/sausage casserole (sounds weird but it's delicious), orange rolls, fruit salad, and "Disney punch" (mango, passion fruit, OJ) with either sparkling water or prosecco.

Christmas dinner: beef tenderloin, potatoes Anna, and a big green salad. Rum cake and cookies.

It's not Christmas Eve without some questionable sides... ;)

• Like 5

Lasagna!   It is the perfect holiday food.    You make it beforehand because the meld time makes it taste better.   That also allows you to keep a mostly clean kitchen before the day of.  Almost everyone likes it.  The sides are minimal and easy.  

I WISH everyone liked lasagna in my house. I adore it and I agree -- it's a perfect make-ahead dinner. However, my people are squicked out by ricotta cheese and some don't like marinara.  :confused: I'm so jealous of those who are having lasagna.

• Like 2

We are having our usual:

Christmas Eve = snack foods.  Shrimp cocktail, cheeses (oh, the cheeses!), crackers, some token vegetables, other stuff we find at Trader Joe's.

Christmas morning = scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and cream cheese.  If I can manage it, Kind Arthur Flour's almond puff loaf which is wonderful. 

Christmas Day = roast beef, mashed potatoes, some vegetable, dinner rolls (they are already in the freezer, ready to thaw, rise, and bake), some dessert that I have to figure out.  Maybe cheesecake?  For some reason I can't think of what we usually have.  

I WISH everyone liked lasagna in my house. I adore it and I agree -- it's a perfect make-ahead dinner. However, my people are squicked out by ricotta cheese and some don't like marinara.  :confused: I'm so jealous of those who are having lasagna.

No one but me likes lasagna either.  I love cheesy baked pasta dishes.  But no.

Christmas Eve @ my parents - homemade pizza and finger foods

Christmas breakfast @ home - waffles, scrambled eggs, fruit salad

Christmas dinner @ my parents - ham, turkey breast, cheesey potato casserole, green bean casserole, corn, rolls, layered salad, dessert: chocolate bread pudding and I'm not sure what else, this is when we like to experiment with new dessert recipes.

For the meals at my parent's house everyone brings either a dish or in the case of the pizza, ingredients, so the work is not all on my mom.

For Christmas Eve and NYE we do appetizer type things.  We get together with family and everyone brings their favorites.  Usually things like chips and dip, veggie trays, mini pizzas, potato skins, etc.

On Christmas Day FIL is going to grill steaks and we'll have potatoes and salad.  

On New Year's Day we'll have a Prime Rib roast at our house with brussels sprouts, potatoes, and other veggies.

When we are at home, we do waffles and bacon for Christmas Eve and appleskievers with strawberries and whipped cream for Christmas morning. For Christmas dinner we usually have ham, mashed potatoes, homemade applesauce, green salads, a couple of green vegetables (peas and Brussels sprouts for sure and either brocolli or asparagus) and canned cranberry jelly. With three cooks it is quick and easy.

The last couple of years we've been travelling as a family for the holidays and will do so again this year. Last year we all had Afghan food for the first tIme as a special Christmas Eve dinner. We were flying on Christmas Day and were very happy to find some good burgers and salads at the airport, as there weren't many places open.

That reminds me of my parent's Boxing Day menu.   (Day after Christmas)  Belgium Waffles with genuine high-quality maple syrup.  Dad starts the batter really early in the morning because the really good recipe contains only bad things for you, and it takes a few hours of sitting time.  Then people arrive sometimes between 11am and 12:30pm.  People sit around the dining table drinking coffee and eating quarters of waffle as they come fresh.  It is a pleasant low-stress tradition.

I'm lazy! I order food and my dh cooks. I think we are having deli stuff and appetizers for Christmas Eve. Christmas Day will be lasagna and baked ziti, along with a million desserts. Honestly, I'd be happy to go to a nice resort and sit and relax for few days, if it has a fabulous buffet or dinner. My family doesn't approve of my plan, so we have fun at home instead.

Christmas Eve I always do the peppery roast beef sandwiches I grew up with, along with appetizers and cookies, all served buffet style. My son works Christmas Eve so I'd really like to shift this to Dec 26th but the rest of the family isn't wild about that.

Christmas Day is at in-laws and is a repeat of Thanksgiving, only substitute ham. Sweet potato casserole, green beans or another vegetable, veggie tray and maybe a fruit tray, cranberry relish, a jello salad, cookies and ice cream.

December 26th--We usually would just eat leftovers but my mom will be joining us. We're usually all craving non-holiday food by this time so I'm thinking to just carry out Mexican.

I don't do breakfasts--tried it, but all anyone seems to care about are the homemade dinner rolls that are baking on Christmas morning. 

• Like 1