Menu

How long would it take you to get your house ready to sell?

teachermom2834

I did this once before quickly when we were blindsided by a job change and our house was a wreck- selling wasn’t anywhere on our radar. Dh moved ahead of me and I kept life going with four kids in activities and homeschooling and coordinated repairs and decluttered, etc. and I think I got the house on the market in three months. It was a very stressful time and I’ve largely blocked it out I think. Really low point for us.

Ever since then I have kept our next home in such a way that I always have in mind that we might have to leave quickly. We’ve done a lot of work and kept up with maintenance and clutter and only have one teen left at home. I want to list it in about six months. I say I can get it ready in two weeks but other times I think surely there must be tons of things I should be doing. But I don’t really think there are. Some weekends dh and I will set out to declutter an area and work for a short time and realize there isn’t much to do (amazing! Lol)

Anyways…just for fun…if you had to sell your house or found your dream home up for sale how long would it take you to get yours ready to list? 

• Like 4

It would take however long to get the bulkhead doors replaced.  It's on the list this year because they're in bad shape.  The rest of the house......meh.  A day for a deep clean, a day to box up things in the bedrooms to make them look less personalized, and I think we're be good.

• Like 2

Are you my conscience?

This was a goal of mine for all of last year and I did not accomplish it or really even come close. It is now a goal for *this* year, although now that youngest Ds is making his college plan, our date to move out of this house is probably pushing back for four years; he may live at home and commute. 

I grant you, if an emergency happened and we *had* to, we could make it happen in three months, but it would take relentless attention to the task from all family members and we would have to pay contractors for a lot of things we could otherwise DIY. 

• Like 3

I want to say a couple of hours, but to be safe I'd say a day or two. But our kids are grown and we naturally lean tidy and minimalist. Those things make a huge difference. And this house was just a bit of a fixer upper when we bought it, and we've gotten everything that needed to be done done. Plus I don't think buyers here are nearly as picky as what some boardies report in their areas.

• Like 4

For an emergency sale I would say 2 weeks.  For a planned situation I would say 6 months.  We have several projects yet that need to be done to get the most out of our house.  Mainly replacing 2 exterior doors, new flooring in main area of house, and replace 7 interior doors.  Oh and main bath finished out.  Paint vanity cabinet/ cabinet above toilet and replace sink/ counter top.  

• Like 2

Also we are at a transition point…..my son and wife bought a house so there is a bunch of stuff I want to box up for him…and ds21 is hopefully about to move out and a bunch of stuff will go with him.  I have decided to hold off on a whole house de clutter until he is gone.  

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the necessity, and also on other resident adults' situations.

Since we cleaned out our basement last year, my kids and I don't have hordes of stuff.  We could probably box it all up in a day if we had to.  Maybe 2 days to allow for me not remembering how bad it really is.  😛

My housemates, though ... they have a lot more stuff than I have.  They take a long time to decide what to keep, donate, or discard.  And we've lived here for nearly 30 years, not just domestic living but running various businesses from here.  So I can't really answer for them ... but if something required us to box it up in a week, I think we could ... understanding that a lot of the boxes would be full of stuff we shouldn't be keeping.

• Like 1

I have no idea. Last two houses have been crazy. One house it took 2 hours to remove, break down, and stack all the empty cardboard boxes at the curb - and they were all in one unused bedroom.  You would think we would learn. Next house we didn't have that many boxes, but it still took a long time to get rid of clutter.  I've made a big effort to declutter my stuff and have made real progress. I've never really been the issue though. 

I finally made it with the first pass through all the homeschooling books, sold the ones that would sell, and now just need to cart off the others to the library for their Friends sale. 

I dread the next move. 

• Like 2

Two weeks, if I had help. No kids  live here but  I do teach classes in my basement. We need new carpet upstairs would be the biggest hold up. 

Our last home, we lived in for 24 years and we  spent two months getting it ready. It paid  off - sold in a few days for above asking price (this was before the crazy selling/buying times) and all that saw it said it  was so clean and crisp.  

- every closet cleaned out, baseboards, door frames, and doors were scrubbed and repainted, all linens on the bed were freshly washed and/or new, paint touch up as needed, yard spurced  up with fresh mulch and great front door flowers, pressure washed.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on how much we’d want to list it for. I’d say two to three weeks if we just wanted to sell mostly as is, if I could a give it my undivided attention and if I could get a contractor to handle one small project. We live in an older home in a neighborhood with a highly desirable school; lots of houses are sold as is (unrenovated) for much more than we paid for our home and the inventory of houses for sale is always short (like usually at most only 3 houses out of hundreds for sale at any given time with typically short time to sell). Many have been quite successfully flipped and then sold to a new young family. It’s common for people who grew up in this neighborhood to buy homes here when they are ready to start their own families.

If we wanted top dollar, we’d go ahead and renovate one of the bathrooms that needs it, overhaul the primary bedroom closet, and replace a couple of windows first. So that would mean a longer time to get the house ready, depending on a contractor’s availability - I’d build in 6 months to be safe and hope for 2-3.

When we moved in we started a notebook labeled “house” with pages for each room. We’ve gone through the house and made lists of work needed (ie, light fixtures, painting, etc). So aside from decluttering we’d have to look through it and decide how anything not yet done might be viewed by a potential buyer, decide what we prefer to do or not do, and set the list price accordingly. 

Thankfully for us it really is all about location, location, location and we don’t have to make it perfect to get a great price. Which is not true in neighborhoods in other (more expensive) parts of town where buyers seem to be super picky. We’ve had friends (not in our neighborhood) sell their homes in the last 2-3 years and were amazed at the hoops they jumped through at their realtor’s request, in hopes to get top dollar. Like redoing bathrooms and kitchens, replacing carpet, entirely painting interior and exterior (which a full exterior painting cost them $5-7K). I would not have done what they did, but they did get nice prices and quick sales. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2

Where I live the land is so valuable and our cute little pre-war (WWII) ranch house is so small for our big lot, that the bulldozers would roll before the ink on the papers dried. The house itself is literally worth nothing to a developer. It is "old and in the way."

You would not belive what beautiful (and sometimes historic) homes get demolished to make way for new ones. Saddens me.

Bill

• Sad 10

Not long. Move stuff out. There are a lot of things that should be fixed up IF real estate here had value and actually sold for more than peanuts. But, the house lost $150,000 of value during the Great Recession. The town closest to us, a population to 2100, had over 200homes repossessed. They sold for next to nothing, some of them having once been $300,000 houses purchased for $15,000-20,000, by realtor and are now profitable rentals. You can't sell anything now for enough to be worth doing any fixing up. So we would leave with renovation projects unfinished, take our pennies, and never look back. It is a different story with the Alabama house. We have painted her top to bottom, have been fixing all the crazy things the previous owner did very very wrong (It is a miracle he never burned the place down), and DD and I have been re-decorating. It is adorable. She and hubby could probably be out in one week with help, and everything is so new that apart from a quick freshening, it would be ready. I told her we could make a killing the other day because we have only owned it 18 months, and it is has gone up $100,000 in market value and estimated sale of less than 60 days. It was just a tease. That house is Shangri la to us, and we have no intention of selling it until Mark and I have a had a good long time retired in it and want to down size. It is, for now, the multi generational house for family who need it, and my mother's mid-winter break from Michigan.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

Yeah I was assuming an "as is" sale.  Our house is basically liveable, but our dog did do some minor damage as a pup.  His nail marks are on the wooden window / door frames, and he actually ate a couple holes in the carpets.  My kids have also done some damage over the years with spilled cosmetics and such.  And some old cabinets etc. could just use a face-lift.  All of these could be fixed by new owners at their leisure if we needed to sell fast.

We have no plans to ever move out, so we're waiting until our dog is done damaging things before we replace anything.

• Like 1

If we do it ourselves, it would depend on how fast we can get Home Depot or Lowe’s to change our carpet and we would need to replace our dishwasher and over the stove microwave as well. If we let a local real estate agent handle everything, they can get it done in a week or two because they have their own contacts for urgent jobs. Their crews takes one day to pack everything in the house, one day to deep clean, minor repairs and touch ups, one day to stage. So basically the hold up would be the need to redo the carpet and any appliances that are on back order. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Forever.  Our house needs so much work - decluttering and updates.  It's overwhelming.

I hear you. I cannot believe what we did in our last house when we left. It was traumatic. And that was just fixing things that were broken and absolutely had to be fixed. We didn’t update for cosmetics. And we had four kids there so all those kids’ worth of toys and books and clothes and we were still in the mode of handing things down so nothing had been disposed of. And we had let the kids decorate because we weren’t leaving. 

We did it in three months but we never could now I don’t think. I just called workers and had them come out and fix things. It would take me three months just to get estimates now. 

And I remember my kids breaking stuff even when we were under contract. Fun times!! 

• Like 1

Depends on if I was working full time during the process and if I wanted to sell or junk the things I didn't need any longer.  I would likely rent a storage unit and a Uhaul. Boxes would be filled and sent either to the storage unit or Goodwill. That would probably take a few days. Then some repairs like flooring in the bathrooms and dealing with dry rot that I suspect is there. 

I have a few bigger repairs that would need to be decided. I would have to decide about replacing doors. DD15 punched her door so it has a hole in it. It is at the top of the 2 story entry way, so you can see doors upstairs and down at the same time, so I can't just have one mismatched door It is wood grained, so I can't paint a new door to match and hope no-one notices.  I glued the pieces back together, and it doesn't look horrible, but it is still damaged. I can't buy those doors anymore, so I would need to replace all the doors in the house. 10 room doors and 5 bi-folds. When I priced having it done before, it was $10-14,000. Flooring also needs to be done, and the house repainted on the inside.

Due to the type of repairs that need to be done, I would likely move out and then do the repairs. When I priced it before, it was going to cost about $30,000 to do the floors, paint and doors/trim. I would have to decide if I thought doing those repairs would be worth it, or if it would be better to list as is, and just take the $$ hit. If I was listing as-is....and if I took the time off work...I would need a couple of weeks. If I stayed working, I would need at lease a month. If I wanted to do the repairs, I would need a couple of months to get the workers here.

We live in an area where homes on the market are expected to be magazine perfect, so I would have to put a ton of effort into depersonalizing, shining things up, and staging each room. Plus we have a few projects to complete that would require hiring someone -- paint our two-story foyer, new chandelier in the foyer,  replace carpet, and some work in the bathrooms (though we won't tackle full renovations).

We've been through it before, too many times. It's not just a matter of packing in our area.

Ugh.  Months?  Years?  Our house could be in showing shape within a day or two from a cleanliness/declutter/staging aspect but the major repairs needed would be a big problem.  We have the money to do these things but cannot get contractors to even answer my calls, let alone give a quote or do any work.  Major things that would block anything but a cheap as-is sale.  For instance, we have a very large and complicated deck that needs to be replaced, the front enclosed porch needs to be ripped off and rebuilt, there is currently standing water in my basement.....  I could go on and on and on......

• Like 1

No idea.   If we had to do it quickly we would need some help with some small projects we started and haven't finished, or stair rails the dog chewed, etc......and I would need some storage units.   Last time we sold we rented THREE extra large storage units to house our stuff.  That was largely due to DH's woodworking tools which took up at least one full unit.    

UGH.....

And we are talking about moving at some point to downsize, but the time frame ranges from 4 years to 7 years, so definitely not soon.

If I was working with urgency, 6 weeks and I would be working 24/7 between my full time job and house work after hours. I would want my house fully decluttered and at a minimum a couple of things refreshed. We aren’t minimalists and we’ve made a couple of good declutters in the past.

ideal would be 3 months - decluttering, a couple of bigger projects that I would need to bring in trades for and the refresh items. This would bring us top dollar. This would give enough lead time for the trades I would need (even with backlog)

I don’t see us aging in place here, we don’t want to move a bunch of stuff “one day” and we don’t want our kids to inherit a bunch of stuff they don’t care about to declutter. We moved a lot growing up so getting a house ready to sell isn’t foreign to me. 

For 95% of the house, faster would be easier in some ways, because the less time the kids had to be in limbo (a state that is very incompatible with their mental health) the better. So, if I had a POD in my driveway, I could declutter and stage 95% of the house in a couple weeks. That would still leave some minor damage - peeled paint where a poster was hung, a couple faded stains on the master bedroom carpet, etc - but no worse condition than when we bought the house. It also really needs new windows throughout, but rather than rush that job, I would just expect to kick back a reasonable amount to the buyer for them to get that done.

The other 5% of the house would be the sticking point. Elliot's room doesn't have electricity. All the outlets, switches and ceiling fixture have been closed over. All the walls are boarded up with plywood, and there is almost no drywall, insulation or wiring left behind the plywood. The ceiling has huge gashes and gouges from things being hurled at it. The window is boarded over. The shelved have been ripped off the walls in the closet. The heating vent has protective gratings screwed down over it. And the carpet is hopelessly (and gruesomely) stained from years of Elliot self-injuring and bleeding all over.

In a short time frame, I think the best I could do was strip Elliot's room all the way down to the studs. It is beyond repair at this point, so that would at least give the buyer a clean slate.

Less than a month currently, provided nothing else was going on and my dh could take off 2-3 weeks work to help replace doors and finish a few odd jobs he's partway through. We just redid all the floors, repainted much of the house. Since we redid the floors, we majorly decluttered, because we had to empty the whole house all at once. (It was a nightmare I don't care to repeat any time soon.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

Forever.  Our house needs so much work - decluttering and updates.  It's overwhelming.

Exactly what I was going to say.  Our house is always a cluttered mess and in need of several repairs.  If we really wanted to get to most from a sale, we would also have to do a major update to 2 bathrooms.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Where I live the land is so valuable and our cute little pre-war (WWII) ranch house is so small for our big lot, that the bulldozers would roll before the ink on the papers dried. The house itself is literally worth nothing to a developer. It is "old and in the way."

You would not belive what beautiful (and sometimes historic) homes get demolished to make way for new ones. Saddens me.

Bill

There’s a lot of that in the D.C. metro area here, too. Lots of old homes that are not wanted; only the lot is wanted. 

• Like 1

In our neighborhood houses are always emptied and staged prior to sale.  I’d hire professionals, have our stuff moved into storage, and we’d be out the door in no time at all.  We have some appliances that need replacement, but we’d probably sell as-is.  The kitchen is over thirty years old, the buyer would probably want to redo it all anyway.  Houses are selling a lot slower now that interest rates are up, but the house has the bones to be competitive.  

But: Ideally I’d love to do a massive purge *before* all that, so we would have less crap to unpack on the other side. *That* would take awhile!  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Quill said:

There’s a lot of that in the D.C. metro area here, too. Lots of old homes that are not wanted; only the lot is wanted. 

I think it would boggle people's minds if they saw some of the homes that get scraped to the ground to build ever-larger houses in my corner of Los Angeles.

Boggles my mind.

Bill

• Like 1

Years.   But, then the house is almost double the size it originally was, and after the next/final addition it will exactly double.   At this point the work is getting the floor space and for example the room I'm in now just has the plywood underlayment.  DH is doing all the work and the house will stay mid-construction for awhile.  

This house we plan to never leave.  But in the previous house one thing I tried to not do was to delay all improvements until only the next owner enjoyed it.   By doing them before I was ready to sell, *I* got to enjoy them.   

• Like 2

3 days. We have a 650sq ft apartment that we have kept in good repair and have a bit of a minimalist approach to stuff. The exterior of the building is managed by the longterm maintenance plan that my dh puts together, and so is in good repair. I would just need to hire day labour to help me do all the cleaning both inside and out. 

Currently, it would take much longer to rent it as we would need to put in exhaust fans in both the kitchen and the bathroom. We would need to hire a structural engineer to figure out where we can punch a hole through structural solid concrete (not concrete block), so it is not a small job. 

However, in the past these flats have sold because of 1) my dh's long term maintenance plan (30 years with costings, and a fully funded maintenance fund),  2) because of the body corp minutes which show that we are a friendly bunch that can work together, and 3) because of our good earthquake rating. We have been told this by the last 2 people who have bought. So what the flat looks like seems to be not very important to an easy and profitable sale. 

17 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

This house we plan to never leave.  But in the previous house one thing I tried to not do was to delay all improvements until only the next owner enjoyed it.   By doing them before I was ready to sell, *I* got to enjoy them.   

Oh yes! We learned this one. In the last house we needed to repair the master shower. We walked down the hallway to use the shower in the kids’ bathroom for ten years. Then when we had to move we fixed the shower and never once used it. So we have tried not to do that this time around. Of course it was silly but when you have a bunch of kids those repairs can just sit on the back burner a long time while other things are always more pressing. 

Though I will say now we are having a bit of the next stage of that. Like we have fixed things up and used and enjoyed them- and now we feel like we want to sell the house before things start breaking and needing to be replaced again. Lol. 

• Like 1

I get twitchy thinking about this now. We were supposed to move right when Covid hit. We were frantically trying to fix the house up and declutter when hardware stores and thrift stores for donations all closed. Then we were in limbo for months waiting to see if dh would be allowed to move during Covid. After 2 years of this insanity we backed out of the move.

There's still a possibility we could move in 1.5 years if we wanted to. I just can't even think about going through the preparations again. If we did decide to move, I would intentionally take many months and do it slowly without any rush or sense of panic.

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I get twitchy thinking about this now. We were supposed to move right when Covid hit. We were frantically trying to fix the house up and declutter when hardware stores and thrift stores for donations all closed. Then we were in limbo for months waiting to see if dh would be allowed to move during Covid. After 2 years of this insanity we backed out of the move.

There's still a possibility we could move in 1.5 years if we wanted to. I just can't even think about going through the preparations again. If we did decide to move, I would intentionally take many months and do it slowly without any rush or sense of panic.

One thing I loved to do back when I moved often.   I'd rent a storage unit near someplace I went often.  It was near work for me.  I made a rule that I had to add at least three boxes to the unit every work day and I'd start when I first knew I was moving.  Everyone else that has moved themselves has reached the point where they were overwhelmed with packed boxes, but they weren't half done yet.   But mine were cleared out as I packed.  Some days I really didn't feel like boxing stuff, so I'd grab something already boxed like Christmas decorations.  I mention this because you said that next time you'd take many months and this method works well with that.  

• Thanks 2

If you are using professional movers, get a quote for having your movers pack for you.  Seriously the best money I have ever spent in my adult life.  Doesn’t add that much to the cost of a long-distance move, saves so much hassle. (They provide the supplies!  No extra boxes!) And they do a way better job than I would do!  (It is their job after all!)

I walked through that with my mom in a not ready for sale house.

I need a few months to pack and about a week to doll it up. A week is enough to get a house painted and the floors changed for a sale, not a remodel for yourself but prep to sell. Those two are very different.

Normally we always stay ready to list within a few weeks. Right now, though, we are choosing to do some more involved things because the market is downturning. We are mid-installation (diy) on putting in white oak floors. It will be a major upgrade when we are done, but it would put off our timing. We would need a crew in to finish it off if we needed to relo for a job in a hurry. We’d probably move out entirely first and then let a crew finish it up. We have a few associated tasks with that, but no major roadblocks.

Otherwise, our house is fairly pristine: new roof, new paint, newer appliances, and we continue to improve the house task by task. We have a custom closet to put in once the flooring is done, and then we are taking on a kitchen reno. Our house would be in high demand, even in this market, so it makes sense to keep upgrading and updating. 

• Like 1

I had some time to read the other response and I suppose part of this is I do live in an area where the land is worth immensely more than the house. If I'm selling the house I wouldn't actually be fixing anything. The whole interior of the house would get a coat of white paint, I would probably buy the cheapest available neutral carpet and put it over the master room hardwood floor (since my cat destroyed sections of it). My needs replacement front door would get a fresh coat of paint and the cheapest new door hardware I could find. I would re-vinyl tile my kitchen floor. Using the cheapest crew suggested by my real estate agent, because she knows a crew who can doll up a house quick and dirty.

My home improvements that I do plan for this house because I plan to live here forever are totally different from the above plan.

• Like 2

This is hard... We could list in 2 days if you're just talking neat and clean and decluttered.

But if we're talking max out the pricing? This house. Sigh. We bought it as everything entered the second decade. We've replaced *every* appliance, the well pump, pressure tank, furnace, A/C, sinks, vanities, toilets, countertops. I painted the cabinets a few years ago and did it two tone with high quality primer and paint so it looks up to date and we replaced the flooring in the kitchen, laundry, and mudroom bathroom. Every room has been repainted neutral. We scraped popcorn, updated light fixtures, outlets & switches to white, finished the basement except flooring. Landscaping is done.  It's been seven years of constant remodel and repair so the "big" things like HVAC, plumbing, etc. is all new... We've painted the shed two years ago, replaced the garage doors & openers and both exterior doors. 

But now it's time to replace *all* the windows & patio door and my chair has ruined the flooring throughout. We put 5" oak plank in the hall and love it, so we'll replace the entry & front/dining room and possibly the living room with it this year. And we were just wondering how often one  replaces the roof?? (Can I get a huge hailstorm?)

I can't imagine anyone being able to see past the flooring. (Big wheelchairs tear apart LVT joints.) And we won't put back on trim until floors and windows are replaced. We live in an area where our house value has more than doubled since we bought it so we'd be insane to sell it "as is" when what's left on the to do is relatively minor and not nearly as expensive as say HVAC or the well update.

We bought a house that was being sold “as is” to flip, 2 1/2 years ago.

We only moved in 2 1/2 years ago so our belongings would not be hard.  

But we would very likely need to talk to a realtor about a lot of updates and maybe more, depending on the market.  

But right now two recent attempted flips in my neighborhood were taken off the market, after not selling for 1 and 2 months.  I thought they were both really overpriced.  But I don’t know if that would mean we should sell as-is.  I would see what the realtor said.  

We have made the improvements most important to us, but we could do some cosmetics if we needed to.  But as it is it’s not the right time for us to do more.