barnwife

Do you drive barefoot?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive barefoot?

• Yes, always.
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • No, never.
    • I don't drive.

Inquiring minds wants to know how common it is.

I never, ever do. Sensory-wise just the thought gives me a very visceral, negative reaction to me. I can barely handle the thought of DH doing so. My anxiety ratchets up when he does it and I am in the car. 

Edited by barnwife
  • Like 1

Occasionally. Not really anymore but I used to in my younger days when I went to the beach after high school or CC every day. I'd usually just bang the sand off my flip flops and throw them in the back of the car, then drive barefoot.

Those were also the days when my friends and I would go into a convenience store barefoot (ew, the thought of doing that now 🤢) on our way back from the beach. I think @ktgrok and I reminisced about that a while back in another thread.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I never wear shoes at home, and I have run out and moved the car in bare feet, but I still voted no, because I have never driven any real distance barefooted.  I can imagine a situation where I might, mostly involving dress shoes, which I hate.  I pretty much only wear Crocs or sneakers in public.  I hate flip flops, but I think they would be more dangerous for driving than bare feet.  

16 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Occasionally. Not really anymore but I used to in my younger days when I went to the beach after high school or CC every day. I'd usually just bang the sand off my flip flops and throw them in the back of the car, then drive barefoot.

Those were also the days when my friends and I would go into a convenience store barefoot (ew, the thought of doing that now 🤢) on our way back from the beach. I think @ktgrok and I reminisced about that a while back in another thread.

Yes! All the time. Shoes were for real stores, like Publix or Walgreens (well, Rite Aid, and before that, Ekerds). Convenience store or gas station, meh. 

15 minutes ago, Katy said:

I voted never but I did once with a foot injury. It scares me because chances are I’d get in an accident and have to walk across shattered  glass or boiling hot blacktop or leaking fuel with bare feet. 

I do BRING shoes for this reason. Well, just because glass or not, the pavement is HOT HOT HOT in Florida, so if I had to walk for help or whatever, I'd be in trouble without shoes to throw on. Plus, having them means I can run in to a store if I decide to.

(in full disclosure..I have a few times showed up somewhere and realized I forgot shoes.  In highschool I k, ept my flip flops in the car pretty much permanently - took them off as I got in the car)

12 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I had a roommate in college who never wore shoes. They carried a letter from the health department saying that it was not illegal to go barefooted into stores.  It seemed like a weird hill to die on, but he is a controversial soul.  

I really want to know how they felt about mask mandates, lol. 

I hate shoes but never drive barefoot.  My mom told me it wasn't safe and it isn't really something I felt the need to question.

Growing up flip flops were never considered shoes and I never picked up the habit of wearing them.  If I did, I'd probably keep some sneakers in the car for driving.

16 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I really want to know how they felt about mask mandates, lol. 

Very pro mask mandates.  Mask mandates are about health.  Strongly anti shoes, and honestly, not a huge fan of pants either.  Their kid had a very hard time adjusting to public school kindergarten.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My husband vastly prefers to drive barefoot. He says it is more comfortable and he feels he has more control. (His shoes of choice, unless there is a pressing reason to wear something else, are slip-on sandals, so there is an argument to be made that it is safer to drive without them.)

I used to do it occasionally, but with the neurological weirdnesses I have in my feet nowadays, it's actually painful to have my soles in contact with the grooved rubber on the pedals.

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

As a teen almost always, but I lived my life barefoot other than school. Now, sometimes. I hate shoes!

As a fellow Florida girl, absolutely this. I was always barefoot. I'm still barefoot unless I'm leaving the house (this doesn't count the beach, pool, etc) and rarely drive barefoot any more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Unless your shoes got soaked for some reason, why would anyone drive barefoot? 

Because shoes are terrible, horrible, miserably uncomfortable things that make your feet hot and prevent them from living free and happy!!!

Why would anyone wear shoes when not absolutely necessary?!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Unless your shoes got soaked for some reason, why would anyone drive barefoot? 

Usually around the house I go barefoot, even working in the yard and such.  So if I need to run a quick car errand where I'm not getting out of the car (picking up kids, drive-through bank, etc.), it seems much easier to just drive barefoot!

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

I never wear flip-flops or high heels, have never owned crocs, and never drive barefoot. Presently I live in Merrells (with Maggie's socks). I need to buy a pair of slides for pool/beach use--I have a pair of water shoes but don't really like them.

If I wanted to wear shoes that were incompatible with driving, I'd wear real shoes to drive and bring the unsuitable shoes with me.

PS - This is fire ant country, and forecasts of a hundred degrees out country. And I'm from the shoe-wearing Northeast. Plus since 9/11 I have given the side-eye to any pair of shoes in which I could not make haste out of a building/area that has suddenly gotten less safe to stay in.

Edited by 73349

Anytime I'm wearing sandals or high heels, I kick those bad boys off before I drive. When I lived in Florida that meant pretty much every day. Now it's a lot less often.

Maize reminded me that I almost always kick them off for long drives. I'm also a barefoot in the house and yard type of person.

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 1

I can see how it might feel really nice in a sensory way to be barefoot much of the time, but those of you who go barefoot inside and out, don't your feet get dirty? I feel like mine get dirty even if I'm wearing some kinds of open sandals. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I can see how it might feel really nice in a sensory way to be barefoot much of the time, but those of you who go barefoot inside and out, don't your feet get dirty? I feel like mine get dirty even if I'm wearing some kinds of open sandals. 

I don't go barefoot outside, except for the occasional trip to the mailbox or to chase a cat.  But yeah, my feet do get dirty.  I take a shower every night before I go to bed.  I just can't get too worked up about the soles of my feet being dirty.  

In the winter, I usually wear socks.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

I remember being taught in Drivers Ed that it was illegal to drive without shoes on. But that was 40 years ago (yikes!)... in MD.

Me too, but it's a fallacy:

The "Driving While Barefoot" Law: The claim is that you can be ticketed for driving barefoot. However, there is no state that regulates proper footwear for operating a motor vehicle, with the exception of Alabama, where it is prohibited to drive a motorcycle while barefoot. Several states, though, explicitly recommend, but do not mandate the use of shoes while driving.

From https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/traffic-ticket-urban-legends.html

This article was also interesting: Is it illegal to drive barefoot?

Did you (general audience) know there's a Society for Barefoot Living?  😄

• Like 6

I drive once in awhile when my feet are hot, like after work. I won't drive in flip flops unless the sole is stiff. My mother worked for a police dept during my teen years and gets upset when I drive in flip flops or bare feet. She saw too many broken feet due to stomping on the brake hard enough to break a bare foot and accidents due to flip flops getting stuck under a pedal. My dd used to drive bare footed when she lived at home. I don't know if she still does.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MercyA said:

They do, but I've always been an evening shower person.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Very pro mask mandates.  Mask mandates are about health.  Strongly anti shoes, and honestly, not a huge fan of pants either.  Their kid had a very hard time adjusting to public school kindergarten.  

Fascinating! I think we'd get along, this person and I, since I hate pants as well, lol. 

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Or Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell…….

I did accidentally end up barefoot in a pizza hut - that was not something I'd normally do. It was a sit down restaurant style pizza hut, and I'd been at a friend's house, and forgot to grab shoes, as I was used to just having them in the car if I needed them. I didn't want to make everyone else leave, so I just went inside REALLY fast and sat in the back of the booth with my feet tucked up under me, lol. 

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Sometimes but it is rare. If I'm in heals or other shoes that aren’t great for driving in. 

Oh, yeah, I won't drive in heels at all. 

1 hour ago, maize said:

Because shoes are terrible, horrible, miserably uncomfortable things that make your feet hot and prevent them from living free and happy!!!

Why would anyone wear shoes when not absolutely necessary?!

This is truth. 

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

Usually around the house I go barefoot, even working in the yard and such.  So if I need to run a quick car errand where I'm not getting out of the car (picking up kids, drive-through bank, etc.), it seems much easier to just drive barefoot!

Yup. I do now keep my Vionic flip flops by the front door though, so I usually will grab them on my way out, but not always. I try to though, as I figure I'll break down the time I don't have shoes, lol. 

45 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yeah. But meh, I guess I don't care, lol. I wash them daily, often more than once. I usually take a bath every night, and often a shower in the morning. But God made dirt, and dirt won't hurt 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Fascinating! I think we'd get along, this person and I, since I hate pants as well, lol. 

He's great.  Came out as trans when we were in college.  A really good guy.  Super ADHD tho.  He failed walking class because he kept skipping.  Got A's on everything he turned in but didn't turn in a lot of assignments.  But a lot of fun.  His kid is adorable.  

I don't personally hate pants, but my kids do.  It's slightly annoying, because I can't get my oldest kid to put the empty milk bottles outside for collection because they're never wearing pants.  

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

He's great.  Came out as trans when we were in college.  A really good guy.  Super ADHD tho.  He failed walking class because he kept skipping.  Got A's on everything he turned in but didn't turn in a lot of assignments.  But a lot of fun.  His kid is adorable.  

I don't personally hate pants, but my kids do.  It's slightly annoying, because I can't get my oldest kid to put the empty milk bottles outside for collection because they're never wearing pants.  

lol, we may be long lost twins. I also got As on the stuff I actually did and turned in...but that wasn't a lot. I also managed to fail aerobic dance in college, and barely passed PE in highschool. 

I do manage pants now, but only leggings. Soft, soft, stretchy, light weight leggings. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I do have running water. 😆
I use it for when all sorts of parts get dirty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4