Menu

Can you stop a miscarriage? TMI - mamas only

BlsdMama

Wondering if anyone has ever been successful at halting a threatened miscarriage?  I've had two really early  (6-7 weeks) miscarriages but this is very different. 

I've noticed contracting (not unusual at all for me at 12 weeks.  I normally start on progresterone at 14-16 weeks and have a cerclage at the same time.)  This has been, thus far, a normal, healthy pregnancy.  The contracting should be doing nothing.  Unfortunately I started spotting, but only brown.  Now the brown is tinged with red.  But that isn't what worries me.  I've bled before in successful pregnancies.  It's steadily turned into cramping tonight and now it's a backache - this is normally how  I begin labor.  :( 

I started taking Chaste Berry tonight and B12.  I can't get False Unicorn or Cramp Bark until tomorrow.  Took an epsom salt bath and used magnesium oil.  This cramping isn't slowing down at all.  Wondering if anyone knows anything else.

How bad is a 12 week loss?  I saw the tiny little sac in my first miscarriage, about the size of my thumb nail.  I honestly never want to go through that again and at 12 weeks, this is going to be traumatic. :(

I'm so, so sorry and I hope it is just threatened. I'd go to the ER and call my OB immediately. I've been given progesterone pessaries for a threatened miscarriage bu I've not been able to stop one that was progressing to dilation. I think you'd need something intravenously to prevent the contractions, though :(

I am so very sorry.

I don't know if you can stop a miscarriage. When I had subchorionic hemorrhaging, I was told that there's very little one can do to stop most bleeding, miscarriage or not, before 12 weeks, and that in most cases, you delaying the miscarriage would not change the overall outcome--but that is "most" not all.

You will be in my thoughts. I'm sorry you are going through this but I'm hoping for the best outcome for you.

I cannot remember what week it was but I believe it was farther along than 12 weeks because the nurse said if the child was born now, it would be viable. They hooked me up to an IV. I cannot even remember what it was but it stopped the contractions and after hours I was able to go home. He was born 6 weeks early still but he was fine.

Edited by Liz CA

Do you have progesterone at home you can take? I've had progesterone stop a miscarriage, but there was no bleeding only very heavy/violent cramping with backache too.  

The latest I've miscarried is at 13 weeks, but baby had stopped growing weeks before (confirmed via ultrasound). I actually hemorrhaged and end up in the hospital with a blood transfusion and leaving the hospital extremlely low in iron and weak for quite some time. An ultrasound showed the reason for the hemorrhaging was that part of the placenta had attached, so I needed a D and C too. I'm only sharing this because I should have gone to the hospital a lot sooner than I did, but I wasn't really keeping track of how much blood had been lost because I had miscarried at home several times with no incident and just wasn't as cautious as I should have been. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  I'm sorry.  :grouphug:

Edited by LavenderGirl

Normally, I would say it would just need to proceed. But, if you have to go on progesterone for pregnancies as a routine measure, I would highly advise calling your ob; especially if you have had a heartbeat at your appointments. It may be that you need to be on it earlier this time. As for your other question, for ME each miscarriage was easier than the one before it. As far as products of conception go, it really just depends on how far the baby developed. I've miscarried later than 12, but the baby wasn't that far along.

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  

I miscarried at 12 weeks. I think every miscarriage is awful.

with ds12 I started getting back cramps and spotting at 11 weeks. I went straight to the dr, who ordered an immediate ultrasound. Baby was still there and there was only a very small separation of placenta. I immediately went on total bed rest for the next 15 weeks.

My Sister had heavy bleeding at around 12 weeks. ultrasounds showed quite a separation of placenta form wall. She had to spend the whole pregnancy on bed rest.  She had a few more episodes of heavy bleeding. Baby is now 4 1/2

• Like 3

I'm so sorry... 

I'm sure you already know the simple things, stay off your feet, avoid doing anything that would ordinarily help start labour (like exercise) make sure you're well hydrated.

Since you mention going on progesterone I'd definitely head to the hospital, it's possible a pessary or something could help in your case. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry.

I've had a natural miscarriage at a similar gestation at home. I didn't look too closely, but I wasn't traumatised. I had already had confirmation of the miscarriage so I knew what to expect.

I agree that you would be best seeing your doctor asap.

Many hugs.

I'm sending you good thoughts and prayers and :grouphug:

I usually don't talk about my miscarriages. I have had 3. I have been told by my OB that nothing can be done to stop it if it is meant to happen. However, I still took it very easy, a self-imposed bed rest. I was on progesterone early on in my last miscarriage at 12 weeks. I pray everything is well. :grouphug: again

I hope you have gotten in to see your Dr or midwife.

My first miscarriage at 10 weeks was just like labor. I was told by the ER that there was nothing they could do to stop it. Looking back I wish I would have gone in any way to get some pain relief. I did deliver a recognizable baby. We had seen the heartbeat a couple weeks earlier.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I went into preterm labor and was given a drug to stop the contractions, I'm not sure how far along you need to be in order to receive medication though.

Hugs and prayers for you, everyone has very different experiences. I hope yours will be different than mine.

Edited to remove unhelpful extra information.

Edited by Rach

So we went in today in order to get an ultrasound.  We figured if there was a heartbeat, we'd ask for early progesterone injections.  

But, there was no heartbeat.  The gestational age of the baby was between 8 and 9 weeks.  It should have been between 11 and 12.  So, now we wait.

Just for Hive reference, yes, they *can* start progesterone.  It really depends on individual history.  Unfortunately, they wouldn't have been able to do much at the ER.  My sister went in two weeks ago with moderate bleeding (she is almost two weeks ahead of me and expecting IVF twins) and the ER could do nothing for her.  She had to go to L&D where her doctor was.  (All was good for her babies though, thank God.)  In my case, where we already know that I deal with low progesterone through mid to later pregnancy, they would have gone ahead and prescribed it.  

This miscarriage will, most likely, be less difficult than  a "true" 11 week miscarriage simply because baby and placenta never developed much past 8 weeks. :(  My kiddos are pretty sad, especially Sarah, as this was "her" buddy baby.  Tears all around.

Thank you so very much for your kind words, all your advice, and most especially the prayers.  I truly appreciate the kind support.