Menu

Can you stop a miscarriage? TMI - mamas only

BlsdMama

So glad you're at peace about this and that you're physically ok. 

I had a miscarriage a fair bit earlier (supposedly about 6 weeks, I passed the baby within a day or two confirmed by good hormone rises two days before I miscarried, and there was tissues and a placenta, though, I too couldn't find a baby.)

I was very surprised how much it was like a labour, with increasing 'cramps' (though they definitely felt like contractions, not like period cramps), passing the tissue, and then everything was over, physically I was fine with almost no bleeding within an hour (I never bled much after my births either). I guess I expected to bleed for awhile or have ongoing cramps, like a really bad period, but it was much more like a really mild labour and delivery. I also felt a sense of peace after it was over.

I might mention, that for ME personally, I also experienced a mood swing like 'baby blues' a few days later, so if you have any history of post-partum issues just be aware that those hormone changes may also be present for you, though certainly that isn't the case for everyone, I am just very sensitive to hormonal changes.  

I'm praying for your emotional wellbeing :) It takes time to recover from that. 

Edited by abba12
  • Like 1

Ah, sorry it was so rough. Rest and heal. Hugs!!

Eta--Just read Abba's comments and totally agree. The mood swings were intense. Also, terrible acne to the point that I thought it could be a rash. Nope, just hormones.

Edited by Moxie

So it didn't go well. Apparently I'm not a rock star at doing things "gently." I want to thank you all so very, very much for your prayers. Truly. The miscarriage started cramping very lightly at 6am. Apparently a well used uterus does an incredibly bad job of clamping down. By 6:15 I had passed the placenta, or at least a large part of it, and tissues. I was very upset I couldn't find the baby. :( DH was home, thank God. Uterus didn't clamp, got an ambulance ride, fluid, a blood transfusion, a d and c... The uterus began behaving itself after about an hour or so and began cramping but they also gave me something. It wasn't oxytocin like I expected. It gap penned all so crazy fast. Please hug any first responders you know for me. They are awesome human beings.

The real blessing? They were so so respectful. They did a full ultrasound to make sure baby had passed out of the uterus before beginning the surgery and they were totally willing to look for baby if she was still there. She was not. I must have missed it in the mess. I thought the willingness to respect my wishes was just incredible. I did not expect that kind of care or respect.

Most amazing? I'm home. Apparently once they fix the problem, you are stable, eat, empty bladder, etc., you can be released. Can't be alone for at least 24 hours but there is almost no bleeding at all now. I feel at peace about it all. I cannot thank you enough for your prayers.

I feel good. Tired,but good.

You know, I always hesitate on this sort of thread to post about my experience as a warning to those who think it can be no big deal to miscarry at home... but I had a similar experience with my 3rd pregnancy (sans the ambulance, which we should have called, and the respect).  I am glad you received respectful compassionate care.  I felt very very tired for some time after the transfusion and surgery.  Give yourself lots of permission to grieve and rest.  I am so sorry for your loss.

• Like 1