Menu

What do farmers/ranchers grow in your area?

Laura Corin

.... if you happen to know.

I took the bus to our nearest town to pick up my car from the garage this morning.  From the top deck, I had a great view of the surrounding fields and was struck by the diversity.  Fife is surrounded by water (sea to the east, estuaries to the north and south) so the climate is temperate.  I saw:

- cattle (dairy)

- sheep

- hay

- grains (not good at spotting which kinds)

- potatoes

- brassicas

- soft fruit (strawberries, raspberries, tayberries, blackberries)

- oil seed rape

I know that turnips, peas, swedes and carrots are also grown, but I didn't spot them today.

Do you have mixed agriculture or is it mostly one crop?

L

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only "farm" I pass by regularly is the airport. Seriously, they have a lot of land as a buffer around the runways and they sell hay. There are lots of people who keep horses on a few acres, so they have a booming business. Other than that , we have trees. Acres upon acres upon acres of piney forest. There's a national forest just north of where I live and that's what dominates the landscape in rural areas.

Beef, horses, corn, tomatoes, tobacco, soy beans, sun flowers. I'd say that is about it for the larger, more commercial types of farms. Oh yeah, and apples. And chickens! Lots and lots of chicken farms around here; and one extremely large chicken processing plant. Also forgot beans. One of the country's large bean companies is just a hop away.

Wheat is the main crop here. Though you'll see a fair amount of Milo and soy beans. Few plant sunflowers (these are my favorite fields!). In the winter you'll see fields of turnips/radishes, but these are planned to add nitrogen back into the ground and are not harvested.

cows are raised by many to help off set the cost of.a bad year of crops (like this one).

Depends on what you are considering a farmer/rancher.  The closest big farm rotates corn, cotton, and soybean for crops and has cattle on the other side of the road.  There is a couple of hobby farms that grow blueberries and strawberries up the road.  Peaches are another big staple in the general area where I live, but I don't know of any super close farms for them (they are more like 30 minutes away).  Cotton and corn are the primaries though.

Wheat is the main crop here. Though you'll see a fair amount of Milo and soy beans. Few plant sunflowers (these are my favorite fields!). In the winter you'll see fields of turnips/radishes, but these are planned to add nitrogen back into the ground and are not harvested.

cows are raised by many to help off set the cost of.a bad year of crops (like this one).

I had to look up 'milo' - I'd heard of sorghum (and drunk Baijiu in China, which is made from it, I believe) but not 'milo'.

Laura

Corn and soybeans are big in our immediate area, which is weird given how close we are to a big city. We also have quite a few orchards as well as vegetable farms. If you go travel a bit further out (an hour or two, I guess), you start running into dairy farms. Oh, and vineyards...there are a surprisingly large number of those, too.

Depends on what you are considering a farmer/rancher.  The closest big farm rotates corn, cotton, and soybean for crops and has cattle on the other side of the road.  There is a couple of hobby farms that grow blueberries and strawberries up the road.  Peaches are another big staple in the general area where I live, but I don't know of any super close farms for them (they are more like 30 minutes away).  Cotton and corn are the primaries though.

I was really thinking about commercial farmers/ranchers.

L

In my neck of the woods, there are a variety of crops.

Dairy farms

wheat

corn (cow variety & sweet corn-human variety) :)

soybeans

cabbage

green beans

onions

peas

peaches

nectarines

cherries

apples

grapes

blueberries

apples

apricots

I'm sure I've forgotten many of the crops grown locally.  We have several large vegetable & fruit farmers and I'm not even sure what all they plant. 

It's fun for me to see the crops come up.  I try to guess what is growing when the plants first emerge.  I'm getting better at it, based on row size & space. :)  My husband does a much better job.

Corn, soybeans and hogs, with occasional plantings of winter wheat. Sure, there is the occasional apple orchard, turkey hatchery, truck farm or you-pick berries, but really, it is those three for miles and miles and miles. Neither of the crops are for people consumption, the hogs are. Oh, and there are some cattle, for meat.

Monotonous. Depressing? Market-driven.

We have a very diverse agricultural area where we live.

DH manages a feed mill that services mostly dairy farms.

chickens for meat (parents farm bordering our property)

chickens for eggs (close neighbor)

corn (parents grew this last year)

soybeans (planted on the parents farm across the road this year)

hay (our farm)

dairy (close neighbor-right over the hill...)

beef

hogs

turkeys (right up the hill)

small grains (mostly wheat and oats grown in rotation with other stuff)

orchards - mostly apples but some pears (close neighbor has apple orchard-can see it from where I sit in the kitchen)

berries of many types

vegetable farms (some selling locally and some providing for large companies such as tomatoes-locally processed)

Ag entertainment  (mostly produce farms that have corn mazes, pick your own crop areas, kid activities, bakeries...)

Christmas trees

we also pass a raiser of guinea fowl and someone that raises alpacas on our way to piano...

Big cash crops for conventional farmers are:

Corn for ethanol, plus corn for feed if they also keep livestock which isn't uncommon

Oats for livestock

Soy beans

Sugar beets

Wheat - lots of GMO thougb a little at a time, farmers are beginning to leave Monsanto which has that company REALLY angry with farmers in my region

Those are the biggies. But, many farmers also put in 2-3 acre gardens with a huge array of non GMO, non round up ready, vegetables and fruits for their own family‘s consumption nd for their spouse and children to sell at area farmer‘s markets. We are also see a significant jump in the number of farmers letting land lay fallow in order to convert over to organic or at least much less toxic, more sustainable farming.

We also have a few u pick strawberry and blueberry farms as well as three or four potato farms as well as a carrot farm.

In addition to that, we have numerous livestock and dairy farms. Three of the dairy farms are organic. Therefore, a lot of beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb are produced in the area and many 4H kids are dabbling in heritage breeds so you can get some interesting taste sensations if you purchase their products. There are a couple of fiber farms with romney sheep, alpacas, and llamas.

We are surrounded by a fair number of Amish farms many of whom grow heirloom crops and harvest their own seed. They rarely spray anything...just good ole fashioned livestock manure every year plowed under in the felds. They sell a huge variety of vegeables and fruits through the Mennonite Bulk Food store and ther own roadside stands.

western washington has on a large scale

berries, strawberries, blueberries, other kinds of berries (I think there are commerical blackberries - generally they grow wild and out of control with easily 20' canes. having a freeway between you and them is good.)

corn

pumpkins

flower bulbs

onions

trees (those planted for timber are mostly doug fir - pseudotsuga meneziesii)

salmon hatcheries

oyster farms

small scale 'gourmet' dairy for cheese (wide variety of milk producing animals.  not just cows, goats, sheep - but llamas and a few others

you can get u-pick

potatoes

beans

peas

cucumbers

lettuce

eastern washington has

ranch animals (mostly cattle, but I see hogs and other things)

hops

wheat

wine grapes

apples

apricots

peaches

pears

Here it is corn, corn and more corn, raised for feed, ethanol and high fructose corn syrup.  Then there are soybeans, but not as much as corn.  There are truck farms that raise vegetables for the farmer's markets but when you are driving through the countryside what you will see is corn and soybeans.  We can get a nice variety of vegetables at the farmer's market but not much fruit except for apples and melon.  It was amazing to see the fruit at a farmer's market I went to in Michigan.  I wish we had that here.  Monsanto is still definitely king here. There are some small organic farmers but they are a tiny minority.

Many years ago, I read that this is the 2nd most fertile Tropical Valley in the world. The winner is in India.  In our immediate area (within 10 air miles) the main crop is Sugar Cane. Pineapple and Rice are also local products.  

The large commerical farms grow:

corn

alfalfa

soy

wheat

rinse and repeat. There are a couple larger dairy operations and beef cattle operations.

Luckily, we have smaller farms that grow more awesome items but it's a blip compared to the the majority. .

eta .. I failed to consider there are some larger fruit farms nearby too, several actually:

apples

peaches

plums

berries

pumpkins
  tomatoes

Ya really wanna know?

Peaches (many varieties)

Plums (many varieties)

Nectarines (many varieties)

Pluots (many varieties)

Grapes (raisin and table)

Persimmons(both kinds)

Kiwis

Apples

Apricots

Almonds

Walnuts

Alfalfa

Blueberries

Boysenberries

Strawberries

Oranges (both kinds)

Lemons

Cotton

And probably a lot of other things I don't know. They don't call us the Fruit Basket of the Nation for nothing, and that is why this politician-made drought is so severe. Land is fallow, orchards are dying because the politicians refuse to let water be stored and instead it drains out to the ocean. It does affect the nation's food supply.

Most every vegetable and fruit is grown around here and can be found at farmer's markets. Our area is particularly known for grass seed, berries, and hazelnuts. What's not grown here (that I can think of): corn other than sweet corn, soybeans, and citrus.

Lots of dairy farms in VT. Maple syrup, apples, corn, hay and then we have a number of small/medium farms who offer CSA shares and a variety of fruits and veggies. 

Just about exactly what I was going to say: dairy, maple, apples, and vegetables.

PEACHES! PEACHES! PEACHES! PEACHES!

At least according to all the PEACHES! Signs I see.

Cotton

Tobacco

Tea

Peanuts

Rice

Indigo

Berries

Beef

mutton

pork

turkey

Melons

Squash

pecans

melon

a HUGE variety of peas and beans. I think much of the country never sees some of the peas and beans that are common here

I have to admit that I don't like to read about all the tobacco still being grown. I'm sure it's a lot less than it used to be, but it would be great to have it as a hobby farm crop for special groups (e.g., Native Indians).

We've got a lot of variety here with grain and grass crops, vegetables, fruit, maple bush, beef, dairy and the odd "specialty" animal such as goat, llama, elk, sheep, pigs. There are more and more "energy farmers" here as well, with wind and solar equipment (totally government subsidized and costs the taxpayers a fortune).

I only know what the wheat farmer told me. Maybe his wheat is roundup ready or a hybrid or who knows. He's almost 83 and still farming so I'll cut him some slack for not knowing the exact terminology of whatever it is he and his son are growing a 1000 acres of! He's a pretty tough old guy. I'm not oing to the next town hall meeting to tell him he doesn't know what he's taling about! LOL, no thanks. :)

Lots and lots and lots of tobacco.

One of the most productive tobacco counties in our state.

Lots of cattle.

Some corn and soybeans.

:iagree: Except I don't recall seeing much cattle............. Tobacco would be at the top of my list. Never saw a smoking barn until we moved here........ I thought the thing was on fire. Corn and soy would come in a close second.

in googling it looks like Shasta County grows its share of marijuana!  :lol:

In CA, we call it a "cash crop."

Where I am, things are a little more conservative, we have mainly peaches, tomatoes, almonds and lots of walnuts.