Menu

What do farmers/ranchers grow in your area?

Laura Corin

While a lot grows in Florida, and Central Florida in particular where I live, the only thing I think that's grown commercially on a large scale near me is Indian River Citrus. Oranges, grapefruit, and lemons mostly. For some reason I don't know of limes growing around here. There are a few small farms that grow berries and some vegetables, but not enough to really count as local crops. A little further away but within driving distance there is corn and strawberries (in two different directions). Much farther south sugar cane is big.

The largest cow-calf ranch in the U.S. is near here, though I don't know if you'd count this as a crop. They don't sell the beef, but instead sell the cattle. It's the Deseret ranch, which is owned by the LDS church.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Commercially cattle (beef and dairy) and oranges are the big ones here. On a smaller scale but still commercial production levels we have strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries.

Of course there are smaller farms that grow veggies, but it is a hard business here. Florida being a giant sandbar and all, the soil is awful.

Of course there are smaller farms that grow veggies, but it is a hard business here. Florida being a giant sandbar and all, the soil is awful.

I always shake my head when people make the blanket statement about how it's cheaper to grow your own vegetables. Yeah. No. By the time we turn our sand into workable soil, we've spent way more than we'd spend on just buying the food. :D

I always shake my head when people make the blanket statement about how it's cheaper to grow your own vegetables. Yeah. No. By the time we turn our sand into workable soil, we've spent way more than we'd spend on just buying the food. :D

So true. Dh and I have been adding compost and mulch to our garden every year for 6 years now. It is finally not awful, but still far from great. We keep trying though! We have also learned to stick with thing that grow here on their own, even poorly. That way when we put them in our sort of not entirely sandy garden they thrive, lol!

We are on clay and I also have a raised bed (filled half-and-half with my own compost and top soil).  The things I planted in the open ground - apart from the swiss chard, which seems bomb proof - are really struggling, whilst the plants in the raised bed are doing really well.  Soil makes an enormous difference.

L

We are on clay and I also have a raised bed (filled half-and-half with my own compost and top soil).  The things I planted in the open ground - apart from the swiss chard, which seems bomb proof - are really struggling, whilst the plants in the raised bed are doing really well.  Soil makes an enormous difference.

L

I have raised beds too, but that's why it costs more. I have to buy the makings of soil (I do compost but am not always patient enough to wait for it to be ready). Even though I do grow some things, I'm spending a lot of money to grow them. It's still cheaper for me to buy produce than to grow it. My backyard vegetable garden is merely a hobby garden. I'd go broke trying to feed us from it.

We have a huge variety. But primarily corn and soybeans. Our county is king for agriculture in IL.

The other large commercial crops:

Pumpkins (IL is the biggest pumpkin producer in the US)

Wheat

Dairy

Hogs

Also on a smaller scale:

Cattle

Chickens

Sheep/goats

Local vegetable and fruit farms.

Maple syrup farm

A little bit of everything- except those that require year round warmth.

Oh and other large commercial harvest:

Wind

At least 60 turbines visible from my window.

For the most part we have feed corn, soybeans, and downstate there are tons of chicken houses.

Some farms are more diverse, but when you look at the majority of the primary farmers in the state, they typically rotate feed corn and soybeans.