Menu

Clothing items you REALLY love--your favorite things?

prairiewindmomma

Hands-down, I immediately thought of my two winter wardrobe must haves. They’ve gotten me through several winters already. 

this coat,  

these boots

My Brooks Adrenaline running shoes get tons of use and have held up very well. 

eta: as you can see, I chose very utilitarian items since you said must-haves. None of them are interesting or exciting or even pretty, but they are my most used and needed items!

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 5

I have a favorite jacket.  It's like a windbreaker but with sweatshirt material for the liner and the hood.  It's been my favorite jacket for decades and I can't find another just like it.

A couple weeks ago, I left it at one of our buildings after cleaning all night.  They say nobody ever found it.  I think that's BS but whatever.  😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

I bought these for this year. I can't attest to their comfort since it is still to warm for boots in Florida but I can attest to their cuteness. Even more cute than they look online. I can't wait to start wearing them.

https://www.famousfootwear.com/product/dr-martens-womens-sheridan-lace-up-boot-1047466/pink-lavender-suede-36226

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I bought these for this year. I can't attest to their comfort since it is still to warm for boots in Florida but I can attest to their cuteness. Even more cute than they look online. I can't wait to start wearing them.

https://www.famousfootwear.com/product/dr-martens-womens-sheridan-lace-up-boot-1047466/pink-lavender-suede-36226

Looooooooovvveeee!!!!!!

• Like 4

Now that the weather is finally turning cooler, I’m loving:

Fleece tights from Athleta https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=4862000020003&vid=1&tid=atpl000001&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5qerw5zr8wIVxgWICR2dcQc8EAQYASABEgIOuPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#pdp-page-content

These lined pants: https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=6316120020005&pcid=999&vid=1&searchText=lined+pants#pdp-page-content

And a long, puffy raincoat from Gap that I bought last season and finally get to wear.

Also, my Dr Martens, natch. 🙂 

• Like 4

Vibram Five Fingers

LL Bean 3/4 polo shirts (they stopped making them the way I like them)

Parkhurst cotton tams

Orvis wool-blend vest with the best little zipper pocket on the upper chest to hold my credit cards and cash

That and a black stretchy skirt or denim skirt is literally my uniform all year round. I have to reluctantly carry a purse in the summer because the vest is too hot to wear.

• Like 3

Keep in mind that the things I'm posting are for year round wear where I live.

I love my Skechers sandals and can even wear them walking around a theme park all day. I don't see them on the Skechers website and am now worried they might be discontinued. I have three colors and am thinking I should order a few more before they disappear. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013XKSZO6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Naturalizer ballet flats. I like the little cushion on the heel. I have them in four colors - black, white, cream, and navy. I can't remember if I got them at Famous Footwear (probably) or Rack Room Shoes.

https://www.naturalizer.com/product/womens-vivienne-flat-3020852/barely-creme-leather-ec0233437

Intro love the fit stretch capris. I wear them everywhere and dress them up or down. I also have these in the same four colors as the flats above. 

https://www.dillards.com/p/intro-rose-pull-on-capri-pant/510585749

• Like 2

I love uniforms for seasons. 

So my fall/winter uniform is boots of different kinds and lengths paired with a chunky sweater . They are usually in neutral colors and I mostly always wear black pants/leggings/jeans as I do not have the patience.

I accessorize with a pop of color, specifically this one. A sari scarf. This is some random Etsy shop I picked to show what it looks like.

It is basically made up of strips of recycled sari strips so you are not exactly sure what you get. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/974945718/patchwork-upcycled-sari-silk-scarf-eco?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sari+scarf&ref=sr_gallery-1-17&organic_search_click=1

I am slowly learning to make my own for my  use and for gifts. 

• Like 4

For me - my LLBean Fleece vests. I'm always cold, so I wear these all winter. They keep my core warm but do not restrict arm movement.  And my wool socks. I used to get SmartWool, but the quality seemed to be going down, so I switched to another brand (not fond of the name, but they are good socks) Darn Tough. 

I'm considering getting my dd another one of these. She has one that she loves and wears regularly but unfortunately got torn by catching on a friend's trailer. She has mended it, but it bothers her a little. She has gotten many compliments on it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLBR8EM/

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

Teva Boots I have an older pair in brown that  look shabby. So last spring I found these in black and brown for a good deal. I bought both colors. I'm just now breaking them in. They are the one boot I can wear for hours and not have sore feet. 

A black open light sweater that has a button towards one shoulder - so it can be worn open or buttoned. I bought it at a thrift store. It's perfect for layering. 

• Like 2

One of my absolute favorites are my black combat-style boots. They’ve walked me around Europe twice. I polish them and they are good as new. They are years and years old but they are so very fabulous. 

Another are my fitted Duluth long sleeved, long-tail tees. I have three colors and they are super versatile. E we other a scarf and cardigan, I’m dressed for work. With a Jean jacket, I’m wearing staple basics on the weekend. The long length is great because they never ride up. 

My other huge favorite is a grey/marbled cowl-neck sweater I bought in France. It is another dress-up-or-down versatile piece. It looks killer sexy with black “leather” leggings but with black or grey trousers it’s great for work. 

• Like 6

Rag & Bone high rise skinny jeans ankle length - I am short so the ankle length ones actually covers my ankles as well.

Columbia Women's McKay Lake Down Puffer Vest (I have it in red, green, silverish white) https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Womens-McKay-Lightweight-Puffer/dp/B07Q858NTJ

The North Face Women's Metropolis Insulated Parka III in Garnet Red https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Womens-Metropolis-Parka/dp/B07SMMRMP1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

So my fall/winter uniform is boots of different kinds and lengths paired with a chunky sweater . They are usually in neutral colors and I mostly always wear black pants/leggings/jeans as I do not have the patience.

I accessorize with a pop of color, specifically this one. A sari scarf. This is some random Etsy shop I picked to show what it looks like.

It is basically made up of strips of recycled sari strips so you are not exactly sure what you get. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/974945718/patchwork-upcycled-sari-silk-scarf-eco?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sari+scarf&ref=sr_gallery-1-17&organic_search_click=1

Love the sari scarf. In winter I wear fine wool snoods every day when I'm at home.

https://www.buff.com/gb/merino-lightweight-neckwear-buff-frieze-deep-purple-deep-purple-std.html

In the past I wore a scarf to work, but these days my neck is cluttered with a lanyard and a mask that I can slip on easily. Oh well.

• Like 1

I have a beige wool winter coat that comes down mid-thigh. It looks nice with everything. My fall jacket is tan with lovely Arabian horses on it, brown corduroy color and cuffs. I have had it for years, and am very careful with it so that it will last. I am attached, and have no idea what I will do when it needs to be replaced. My other favorite is a periwinkle open front cardigan with rouching, and chiffon accents. I paid $5 at a thrift store and am pretty sure it was a very pricey item when originally purchased. I wear it with a dark purple sleeveless shell that has some beaded accents.

The thing I adore the most is one of my black evening gowns. Timeless, classic cut and very comfy performance outfit. But now that covid gutted my fine arts job, I really have no excuse to keep it. I doubt I will ever wear it again. Yet, I haven't been able to make myself part with it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

I love those scarfs! 

I have the same pair of jeans in different colors that I wear pretty much all winter on rotation. 

I’ve been having a lot of foot pain in the past year and so I finally bought myself a pair of Birkenstock sandals and a pair of Dansko clogs, based on the fact that those seemed to be the biggest recs for people with foot pain. I am now a convert for both and pretty much wear one or the other every day. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Does it help if in the winter I wear Uggs, knee high riding boots, and this year I'm mulling over Doc Maarten's? All with wooly sucks from Costco!

😁

Yes. 🤣

Actually, I picture you in Birks in summer, Dr Martens in winter— but now that you’ve mentioned Ugg’s, those fit in perfectly with my mental image of you. All worn with band t shirts and long skirts and some kind of pretty scarf in your hair. It’s a flattering look in my head, I promise. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Omg I need these. I wonder how I can justify another pair of boots? 

I had no idea they make fuzzy ones! 

This is a dangerous thread. Also, I am impressed by everyone’s footwear! 

• Like 4

I absolutely love my lululemon studio pants - lined and unlined. So comfy, perfect fit, wash up like a dream to look brand new, and they last forever! 

Pullover hoodies. My favorite cold weather ones are Carhartts; especially if I will be outside for any length of time because they are so warm, but I have a collection of various ones that I practically live in from fall through spring.

I tried to find my favorite bootie/shoes, but it appears that they don't make them anymore. They are Sorel and a cross between a bootie and a slipper. 

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I have them in Butterscotch and I love them so much I’m considering a black pair 😄

The butterscotch are going to the top of my Christmas wish list. I don’t have brown boots, so I am clearly in need, right? 😎

• Like 1

Since it is warm here most of the year, I live in these little shift dresses from Cabana Life (I only buy them when they go on sale). They don't wrinkle and are have SPF protection. I love them. https://www.cabanalife.com/collections/best-selling-dresses

I also love these hippy dippy sandals. They are unique, and so cute and comfortable: https://www.springstepshoes.com/collections/lartiste-sandals

I am also a huge fan of my Hoka One One Bondi 7s. They get me through 12+ hour shifts on my feet. https://www.hoka.com/en/us/womens-road/bondi-7/1110519.html

And my crazy compression socks: https://procompression.com/collections/newest-arrivals 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I am also a huge fan of my Hoka One One Bondi 7s. They get me through 12+ hour shifts on my feet. https://www.hoka.com/en/us/womens-road/bondi-7/1110519.html

Do those Hoka's ever go on sale anywhere?  I desperately want to get them because I have a terrible tendon injury in my foot and they are highly recommended but they are so expensive.  

47 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Do those Hoka's ever go on sale anywhere?  I desperately want to get them because I have a terrible tendon injury in my foot and they are highly recommended but they are so expensive.  

Try keeping your eye out for sales at local running stores. Mine discounts the old version every year when the new version comes out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Kassia said:

REI occasionally has them on sale. Poshmark is also a good source to watch if you don't mind slightly used and you know your size. Sometimes you can find new Hokas as well. Be aware of width because they can vary quite a bit in that sense.

I own three pairs of Hokas.

• Thanks 1

Lands End Starfish leggings - I was introduced to these on this board & having never worn leggings, I ordered a pair at the beginning of the pandemic. I then ordered several more. I only wear them around the house, but they are my go-to comfy clothes along with a variety of long t shirts and long sweaters. I often wear them this sweater - together they make a great cocoon for cold, rainy days.

solid color t shirts - I've bought them from Lands End, Talbot and Christopher Bank. They are easy to dress up with the right accessories and they are comfy enough to wear casually. I have both long & short sleeves, black, cream, white & light blue.

Blue jeans - Straight leg, mid or high rise. I don't have a favorite brand. Because I buy them at the same time, they usually also wear out at the same time (mostly around back pockets or the hem). I rarely buy them because they last so long, but I do buy 3-4 identical pairs when I find a pair that I like.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Lands End Starfish leggings - I was introduced to these on this board & having never worn leggings, I ordered a pair at the beginning of the pandemic. I then ordered several more. I only wear them around the house, but they are my go-to comfy clothes along with a variety of long t shirts and long sweaters. I often wear them this sweater - together they make a great cocoon for cold, rainy days.

On sale right now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

I don't know about Hoka. But, I just scored a pair of Saucony trail running shoes on www.shoes.com for $45 ish because of a SAVE30 code. I ruined my Brooks Cascadias, so I am hoping the Saucony is really good too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I don't know about Hoka. But, I just scored a pair of Saucony trail running shoes on www.shoes.com for $45 ish because of a SAVE30 code. I ruined my Brooks Cascadias, so I am hoping the Saucony is really good too.

I love Brooks, too.  I always ran in Brooks injury-free.  Made the huge mistake of switching to a pair of cheap Asics and...ended up with an injury the first time I ran and probably won't ever run again.  I don't know for sure it was the Asics, but that's quite a coincidence.  😞  I also discovered Topo shoes and loved those.  Those were my favorites but I never tried Hokas.  

Hope you like the Saucony shoes!  

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I love Brooks, too.  I always ran in Brooks injury-free.  Made the huge mistake of switching to a pair of cheap Asics and...ended up with an injury the first time I ran and probably won't ever run again.  I don't know for sure it was the Asics, but that's quite a coincidence.  😞  I also discovered Topo shoes and loved those.  Those were my favorites but I never tried Hokas.  

Hope you like the Saucony shoes!  

I don't run but I've been wearing Brooks for years to help with plantar fasciitis and just because the cushioning is wonderful when I'm on my feet all day.  Coincidentally, I just switched to trying a much cheaper pair of Asics.   Other than running my smaller than my Brooks, they seem okay so far but it's only been a week.    I'm fully prepared to go back to my Brooks if they don't work. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 2:24 PM, Laura Corin said:

I LOVE overalls.  But I am very much apple to pear shaped and they are just not a good look for me at all.  I need a more defined waist separation.  But if I every lose 50, 40, 20 pounds I'm going to live in them. 

On 10/27/2021 at 2:24 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

Those are adorable!  I love boots.  I have Uggs, and some knee high suede ones and knee high leather ones and some shoe boots and I"m always willing to buy more.  

My actual three favorite currently owned articles of clothing though?

A fleece jacket.  It's a 4-H jacket, has two zipper pockets is big, warm and cozy.   I had a similar one from our trip to Disney but dh wore it on a business trip to China and left it in an airport. 

A long cardigan sweater with a zipper up the front.  It was a gift from oldest dd, I think for Christmas last year.   She got one for me and younger dd.  We both wear them like a robe around the house, I'll also wear mine out as a jacket. 

A third is hard.  I love my leggings/yoga pants with the pockets on the legs.  I live in those teaching classes.  Fuzzy socks.  My science themed tshirts.  My hoodies (except I seem to be running extra warm all the time these days).  

• Like 2

These threads are dangerous. 

Thinking I may need a new pair of Docs for Christmas. Love the butterscotch and the pink ones.

I live in the Lands End high rise jeans in various colors — my favorites are a sort of wine/purple. They have elastic tops, I can’t recall the name. I like Starfish slim pants, but don’t often wear them out of the house. 

Big comfy sweaters in winter, right now I’m transitioning away from my typical v-neck t with lots of hoodies that come on and off.

Birks, boots, and Nike Revolution shoes because they work for my feet. 

• Like 2

My go to items denim, suede and leather jackets, barefoot dreams cardigan  sweater worth the investment,  good quality camisoles in basic colors, lands end suede boots in browns and olive.  .  Lands end waterproof suede mocs (I've had mine for 10 years and they're wearing g out and I don't like the new styles....).  Most everything else us just filler from Marshals or good sales.

• Like 1