Menu

s/o (death and inheritance) my dad died this week

Halftime Hope

On Wednesday afternoon, while some us were discussing death and the dysfunction it can bring out in people, my dad passed away. 

The specifics were not what my brother and I had anticipated, as we had been through a prolonged death decline with my mom two years ago, but we are grateful that dad's passing was quick and painless, and that he had caregivers he liked at his side.  He was a man of faith, but he was fearful of the process of dying, so his passing (the way it happened) was a mercy and a gift from God.

My brother and sister-in-law are left with a bit of a ??? feeling, because it was not really expected--he was quite stable and content in the care-giving home--and his death was over by the time the caregivers had a chance to call.  (By contrast, we were able to hold mom's hand and be with her til she was gone.)  My bro and SIL will process those emotions, given time.  

More than anything, I'm just sad.  It's the end of an era, and there is no turning back.  He was the last of our family's "greatest generation," and even though each one had their foibles, my parents, aunts and uncles and in-laws stood tall.  My brother and I have the legacy of being well-loved, and for that I'm profoundly grateful.  I hope my kids can say the same when I pass.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 18

I'm so sorry for your loss. Be gentle on yourself for the months to come. Losing a parent is very hard, and when you lose the second parent, leaving you an orphan . . . it really is the end of an era, as you say. You have to recreate yourself in some ways, and that is very hard. (((Hugs)))

• Like 5

You have my deepest condolences. 

I hope you don't have to deal with some of the dysfunction which others of us have had.

years ago an elderly leader in our church once said - dying's not so bad, it's the getting there that's hard.

• Like 1

What a beautiful tribute.

I am so sorry for your loss.

(((((((((((((((Halftime Hope))))))))))))))))))))))))

Edited by Guest

On Wednesday afternoon, while some us were discussing death and the dysfunction it can bring out in people, my dad passed away. 

The specifics were not what my brother and I had anticipated, as we had been through a prolonged death decline with my mom two years ago, but we are grateful that dad's passing was quick and painless, and that he had caregivers he liked at his side.  He was a man of faith, but he was fearful of the process of dying, so his passing (the way it happened) was a mercy and a gift from God.

My brother and sister-in-law are left with a bit of a ??? feeling, because it was not really expected--he was quite stable and content in the care-giving home--and his death was over by the time the caregivers had a chance to call.  (By contrast, we were able to hold mom's hand and be with her til she was gone.)  My bro and SIL will process those emotions, given time.  

More than anything, I'm just sad.  It's the end of an era, and there is no turning back.  He was the last of our family's "greatest generation," and even though each one had their foibles, my parents, aunts and uncles and in-laws stood tall.  My brother and I have the legacy of being well-loved, and for that I'm profoundly grateful.  I hope my kids can say the same when I pass.

Beautiful tribute.  I'm sorry for your loss.