Menu

Dishes in sink? Or on counter?

Spryte

In the unlikely event that your (clean) dishwasher is not unloaded, and you must put a dirty dish in the kitchen: do you place the rinsed dish in the sink? Or do you leave it on the counter next to the sink?

Just curious. :)

FYI: I'm a rinse and leave in the sink girl.

• Like 1

Counter.  Nothing bugs me more than having to remove a pile of dishes in order to wash my hands or otherwise use the sink.  Actually, something does.....when someone else does not remove the dishes and uses the sink leaving a pile of dishes now covered in gross water from washing hands or otherwise using the sink that I have to dump out to put in the dishwasher.

• Like 8

I don't have a dishwasher and unless the sink is going to stack too high (like large pot in sink with a plate on top of that and a cup on top of that lol) then I will use the sink. Or if the item is too bulky in general, I might set it to the side. Interior of a crock pot, 9x13 casserole dish, etc. Besides, once I rinse something, it's wet. I don't want to put a wet item on the counter when I could put it in the sink.

Years ago, in Miami, we bought a Roper Dishwasher, but it has never been used. We didn't plan the installation correctly so it was never connected. . It is in the kitchen, but is strictly ornamental.  So, I am "the dishwasher".  Something I need to do for the Lunch dishes, after I write this.  I wipe any residue off the dishes and that goes into a tiny plastic bag, which is in a covered container next to the kitchen sink. Then, I usually put the dishes into the kitchen sink and then I wash them.  After they have been cleaned with Dish washing Soap on a  Dish washing pad, I put the soaped items to the left of the kitchen sink, on the counter, until I can rinse them off with water and put them into a place where they can drip dry.  That's on the right side of the sink or on a thing above part of the sink (for cups and glasses).  I always go from Left to Right and suspect that may go back to doing "KP" when I was in  Basic Training...  I didn't know that I could write a paragraph about how I wash dishes.   :huh:

• Like 1

I would say, rinsed and in the sink.  What actually happens by "others" is unrinsed and in the sink, which then has to be moved out in order to have a place for rinsing.  If you are not rinsing, on the counter.  If rinsing, in the sink.  

Of course, I have only worked on this process for 17 years with my daughter, and THIRTY years with my husband, so I am left thinking it is an unattainable goal.  :glare:

• Like 1

Either.  It honestly doesn't matter.  It never occurred to me that something like this should matter.  Pick a spot where there's space.  When all spaces are used (or we have enough to fill the dishwasher), then dishes will be done and empty space will reappear.

If it needs to soak, inside the sink is better, but we've never had problems with someone instinctively realizing that.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 3

In the unlikely event that your (clean) dishwasher is not unloaded, and you must put a dirty dish in the kitchen: do you place the rinsed dish in the sink? Or do you leave it on the counter next to the sink?

If I have a functioning dishwasher, then they go on the counter.  Otherwise things get thrown in the sink all higgeldy-piggeldy, and it gets filled with yucky water and food pieces, and glassware ends up getting broken - and I end up having to put my hand in the inevitably backed-up sink to clear the drain. :ack2:  The only thing that gets put in the sink is dirty pots and pans to soak, or any other things that need to be hand-washed or containers that need to be rinsed before they're recycled.  Nothing that will end up in the dishwasher.

If the dishwasher is broken, as it currently is, then the sink, and we do a few washes and put-aways every day so that the sink doesn't end up in the aforementioned mess. 

I guess my rule is, only things that will be hand-washed go in the sink.  The rest go on the counter if the dishwasher isn't ready to load yet. (So unload it already, and then the counter is clean too).

I put it in the left side of the sink (because we use the right side for washing hands, the garbage disposal, etc...). So, they're off the counter, but not in the way of using the sink otherwise.

^ This, except opposite sides for me.  My disposal is on the left, so my dirty, but rinsed dishes go in the right side of the sink.  

When we have a working dishwasher:  dirty dishes in the sink.  Counter stays clear and it's easy to get them all in the dishwasher once it's emptied.

When we did not have a working dishwasher, I kept a dishpan next to the sink and all dirty dishes went in there.  Reason:  it is impossible to wash dishes in a full sink.  For me, anyway.

BTW it is really not all that unlikely that we will have a washer full of clean dishes at breakfast time, and have to leave the dirty in the sink, if we're in a hurry that morning. 

The only correct option in the counter (in my world, anyway). 

Why, oh why, would I want to have to remove the dirty, gross dishes from the sink in order to plug it and rinse them? The only exception is something that needs to be soaked.

Yes, we do have a double sink. They get washed in the left side and rinsed with clean water over the right. You can't rinse in the same side you wash because then that side fills up too much. Therefore, both sides need to be open/empty for washing.

This is close to a hill to die on for me (hyperbole, people, hyperbole). Actually, I'd just be happy if the dirty dishes made it to the counter by the sink from the table or other counter without me having to do it.

• Like 2

Why, oh why, would I want to have to remove the dirty, gross dishes from the sink in order to plug it and rinse them? The only exception is something that needs to be soaked.

Yes, we do have a double sink. They get washed in the left side and rinsed with clean water over the right. You can't rinse in the same side you wash because then that side fills up too much. Therefore, both sides need to be open/empty for washing.

This is close to a hill to die on for me (hyperbole, people, hyperbole). Actually, I'd just be happy if the dirty dishes made it to the counter by the sink from the table or other counter without me having to do it.

That makes sense if you hand wash. But the OP mentioned a dishwasher, which is a whole other can of worms. No need to wash and rinse if you ar putting them in the dishwasher. 

Counter, stacked neatly. If there is an appropriate dirty container, I put a touch of soap and water (it sits nearest the sink) with any cutlery soaking in it. But the reality is usually dishes sitting not stacked on counter. We try to keep on top of the dishwashef so that dishes out on counter is a small quantity between meals though.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

If I didn't handwash the large pots and baking dishes I would have to run the dishwasher like 17 times a day! (Happily joining barnwife in hyperbole.) So I concur, rinsed dishes on the counter, soaking pots in the sink. No hard and fast rules, it's a process not an event.

• Like 1

Rinsed and to the right of the sink. We never put dirty dishes straight into the dishwasher. I guess we could, we just don't. My husband likes the job and likes to load all at once. Edited by LucyStoner

I don't plug the sink. I have a strainer in the bottom of the sink to catch food particles. I lift the item up and wash it with dish soap and turn the water on. I probably wash dishes "incorrectly" because I often do one at a time so to speak. Then I set them on my drying rack or move to our sanitizer machine. I'm actually about to order one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7GSZ8E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2LM6ZPY06LT1Nbecause the current sponge holder hangs in the center of the sink and it drives me nuts as it's in the way no matter what side I'm working on.

That makes sense if you hand wash. But the OP mentioned a dishwasher, which is a whole other can of worms. No need to wash and rinse if you ar putting them in the dishwasher. 

Eh...we have a dishwasher and I still wash dishes practically everyday. My big pots and pans don't fit or wouldn't fit with dishes. So there is always something to wash by hand. Also, we only run the dishwasher at night, so if it fills up after breakfast, I have to either handwash lunch and dinner dishes or stack. (Our electricity is half price at night, but double during the day.)

• Like 1

Our disposal is on the right, so scraped and rinsed dishes go in the left sink, only if the dishwasher is running. If the dishwasher has clean dishes, they are put away and the dirty dishes go straight in the appliance.

I once timed myself unloading the dishwasher. It took me 3-5 minutes. I can usually spare that time to empty the dishwasher.

Dirty dishes in our house go on the counter stacked neatly after they have been scraped and rinsed waiting to be loaded into the dishwasher.  I can't stand to have dirty dishes in the sink.  It drives me batty.  I think it stems from my childhood where I did dishes for my chore a lot of the time.  My parents did not have a dishwasher.  I hated having to clear anything out of the sink in order to do dishes.  Dishes had to be done in a particular order and I couldn't do that if random dishes were already in the sink.  I guess maybe I have issues.

At other peoples homes I try to do things the way that they prefer, I just wish more people would do that here.  I especially hate it when dirty, used paper napkins end up in the sink mixed with food and garbage, which is mainly when ILs visit.

• Like 4

In the sink.  I hate walking into the kitchen and seeing a dirty plate on the counter.  However, only my dh is allowed to leave a dish in the sink due to his back problems.  Everyone else is expected to unload the dishwasher if it needs to be done.  Failure to unload results in my stopping you from whatever you are doing to come unload the dishwasher. 

Dirty dishes in our house go on the counter stacked neatly after they have been scraped and rinsed waiting to be loaded into the dishwasher.  I can't stand to have dirty dishes in the sink.  It drives me batty.  I think it stems from my childhood where I did dishes for my chore a lot of the time.  My parents did not have a dishwasher.  I hated having to clear anything out of the sink in order to do dishes.  Dishes had to be done in a particular order and I couldn't do that if random dishes were already in the sink.  I guess maybe I have issues.

At other peoples homes I try to do things the way that they prefer, I just wish more people would do that here.  I especially hate it when dirty, used paper napkins end up in the sink mixed with food and garbage, which is mainly when ILs visit.

Yeah that's how I feel.