Menu

Your go-to remedies at the first sign of a cold?

Hyacinth

This stuff.

My hubby thinks I'm a nut, but it works for me.  I couldn't find it in my local stores for the longest time and it seemed, during that time, that anything I caught lingered for months.  But with this, my scratchy throat, stuffy/sniffly nose, etc, would be gone within days.  I was thrilled when I found it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00185OHAK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

• Like 1

I take a package of Emergen-C mixed with water at the first sign of a cold/scratchy throat. (I also take it as a preventive when traveling by bus or plane....) If one dose doesn't do it, I drink one morning and at night.  Hot tea with lemon and honey during the day.  I'm amazed at how much this little routine nips a cold in the bud.....

• Like 1

For me, a vinegar shot followed by a hot shower (rubbing all over to stimulate all the lymphatic system) followed by a toddy with rum, honey, lemon and nettle/hyssop/mint tea followed by a big dose of Vitamin K. Followed by sleep if I can get some of that.

Echinacea, 2 cloves worth of raw garlic, and lots of vitamin C. The Echinacea supports the immune system. The garlic is both antibacterial and antiviral so no matter what it is, it will fight it. And we all know the benefits of vitamin C. For my kids, I do the same, except I throw the garlic into chicken soup and cook it covered (so the oils don't escape).

If my sinuses are attacked, I eat horseradish on everything! If the stomach is effected, chamomile tea and raw honey is my go-to.

My entire family has never been sick over 5 days and neither of my kids have ever had an antibiotic medication. *knock on wood*

The only time I was sick longer was when a cold went into my ears in the summer time. Oh, was that miserable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ibruprophen (anti-inflammatory.  my sinus tissues always swell.)

guifenison - (thins mucous)

Sudafed - (the stuff they keep behind the counter at the pharmacy and for which you have to sign..  decongestant.)

sometimes I'll eat vitamin C.

lots of water.  lots.

stay away from milk.

eta: I've also enjoyed eating thai and indian spicy food.  really clears the sinuses.  and wasabi on sushi.

Tylenol -- as often as the bottle says I'm allowed to, around the clock, for several days.

I'm not sure why it works for me but it does.  I can tell about 30 minutes before the next dose is due.

In addition to general pain relief....It lowers the inflammation of your lymph nodes :001_smile:

We're a Cold-eeze family.  It works great at preventing colds if you take it at the first sign (sore throat).  It seems to work best taken right at bedtime.

It's very, very rare that we get colds in our family.

For those rare times when Cold-eeze doesn't work, then the original Sinufed (generic is ok) works well to keep symptoms at bay.  The active ingredient has to be pseudoephedrine - not the newer junk.  I like the 12 hour version.

ps  If you scuba dive, the pseudoephedrine also works well at ear clearing if any members have difficulty with it.  Both my younger son and I love it for that purpose! 

More sleep, more fluids, switch out the chores I'd planned for something sedentary like folding laundry or making appointments. If I think my kids are coming down with something I keep the house quiet and let them sleep as late as they can. We're habitual tea drinkers anyway. If I'm not the one getting sick, I usually make a bone broth to carry us through the illness.