Menu

Joel Osteen question and megachurches in general.

Ginevra

I was channel-surfing last night (unwisely drank coffee late and was up for hours), when I stumbled upon Joel Osteen. Yeah, he's cheesy and whatever, but it is sort of pleasant (in a brain-candy way) to watch him. I was thinking a little though - that is one humungous church. It really makes me wonder what makes a person try out such a behemoth to begin with, let alone return. Why does one want to be part of a 30k-human mass of people? What would be the pleasure of being in the "nosebleed" section just to attend church and listen to a mild, positive man babble happiness for an hour?

I'm really curious why one wants to be part of a church like that and what would keep a church growing to such gargantuan proportions.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a brother that attends a megachurch. He likes that he can go there and nobody knows his name, asks him questions, or invites him anywhere. He wants to disappear in the crowd. Not as big a deal, but he also likes the "stuff". They have big screens everywhere, restaurant style pagers for the kids in the nursery, massive sound systems, etc. That stuff impresses him.

Like I said, the first reason is BY FAR the bigger reason he likes his megachurch. His wife feels like it is very impersonal and would like to find a smaller church. Right now she is thrilled to see him at church at all, so she isn't pushing it.

Personally, I think that a lot of what he teaches is offensive, because it's a prosperity gospel that is not Biblical, not historically Christian, and not true.

Also I know people who have bought into those kinds of teachings and then entirely abandoned their faith in God when He does not 'bless' them as they see fit.

God is not a slot machine nor yet a gumball machine.

I don't want a pastor to tell me what I want to hear.  I want him to tell me what I NEED to hear; that is, the actual truth.

I have a brother that attends a megachurch. He likes that he can go there and nobody knows his name, asks him questions, or invites him anywhere. He wants to disappear in the crowd. Not as big a deal, but he also likes the "stuff". They have big screens everywhere, restaurant style pagers for the kids in the nursery, massive sound systems, etc. That stuff impresses him.

That does make sense. I can see that applying to some people.

Personally, I think that a lot of what he teaches is offensive, because it's a prosperity gospel that is not Biblical, not historically Christian, and not true.

Also I know people who have bought into those kinds of teachings and then entirely abandoned their faith in God when He does not 'bless' them as they see fit.

God is not a slot machine nor yet a gumball machine.

I don't want a pastor to tell me what I want to hear.  I want him to tell me what I NEED to hear; that is, the actual truth.

This. This is why people go to Joel Osteen's church. It's feel good.

It's very disturbing, and if I think about it much, I could weep for these people.

My brother's megachurch is the same. He begged me to listen to a couple sermons and tell him what I thought, so I did. It didn't go over very well...

Anonymity & all the bells and whistles.

Also, I think megachurches are popular 'rebound' churches. After going to a smaller church where you are the hands and feet for everything, you get a little burnt out. You want to try a place where no one expects anything from you.

All that being said, even taking burn-out into the equation, I would not be happy at a mega-church. My dh would so be Cpt. Kirk not able to stay out of the chair. :lol: He says it would be great to not have all the responsibilities, but he's all talk. :D

ETA: Joel Olsteen's popularity is not driven by the same thing as those who seek megachurches, imo. His popularity comes from the feel-good message/prosperity message, as others have mentioned. He is not your standard megachurch.

When this happened to us, thankfully, we asked, "Okay so obviously our understanding of God is in error. How can we find the truth about who God is?" and went back to the beginning to find the answers. But you're right -- I can easily see how one could abandon faith altogether when God doesn't do what you think He's supposed to be doing based on your actions and prayers (which, you have been taught, move His hand in your favor). Funny thing, we've seen more increase financially after abandoning "word of faith" teaching -- but we're also still at a place where we have to regularly rely on Him (good place to be) and where we're learning that we could just as easily lose it all -- and He'd still be God and in control.  That's a good place to be. 

My brother and his wife go to a megachurch.  My brother goes because his wife makes him and he likes it because he says it is easy to have a nap in the balcony back row and then it's over and he can go home.  His wife likes it because my brother will actually go, and that is important to her -- that he just show up with her and they attend as a family. She also likes that they have a million and one programs for kids that are free or nearly-free, so she plans out all their weekends and school holidays to fill them with church activities.  She seems happy enough and the kids don't seem to complain much, so I guess that works for them all in some way or another.

I'm really curious why one wants to be part of a church like that and what would keep a church growing to such gargantuan proportions.

It was a big church before they bought the basketball stadium, but I'm sure that's boosted it more. It's centrally located in Houston (because it was a basketball stadium) so it can draw from all over the area. Houston has over 6 million people in the metro area, it's not that hard to find 30,000 willing to go for the free show.

I've only met one person irl who told me about her experience with the church. She was my dentist and wanted to recruit me. I switched dentists. She was probably an outlier but I don't want to be proselytized while someone has me at their mercy with a pick in my mouth.

My Mom used to attend a megachurch in Orlando.  While it was humongous (they also had satellite locations), they really encouraged a lot of small groups/bible studies, etc.  They had so much going onĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..even car care for single Moms.  

She no longer goes there, but I just checked, and you can see their newsletter online.  This is the weekly church bulletin http://www.northlandchurch.net/newspaper/   It's a giant step away from the mimeographed one page thing that the Presbyterian church I went to growing up had. ;)

So while they can be impersonal if you want, you can also really develop some close friendships.

I attended one of the largest churches in Oregon for many years, but it was not a mega church like Joel Osteen's or some other ones. I do agree with what the other people said, you are never pressured to do any real volunteering, and the snazzy bells and whistles are a big deal to some people. When our church was at the height of it's growth there were a lot of people who came just because it was the popular place to be, the place where their friends went, the cool place to go to church. When we got a pastor that couldn't preach to save his life we were down to less than 300 people in three years. We got a new pastor who brought it back up a little, but it will never be as big as it once was. I only left my church because we moved, but it had changed so much from when it was large to being about 1,000 people that it was unrecognizable. A alpha male leader is really what most of those sort of church goers want. They want to feel a father figure is looking out for them, giving them the best advice. Unless you have that sort of leader things fall apart really fast.

Anonymity & all the bells and whistles.

Also, I think megachurches are popular 'rebound' churches. After going to a smaller church where you are the hands and feet for everything, you get a little burnt out. You want to try a place where no one expects anything from you.

All that being said, even taking burn-out into the equation, I would not be happy at a mega-church. My dh would so be Cpt. Kirk not able to stay out of the chair. :lol: He says it would be great to not have all the responsibilities, but he's all talk. :D

ETA: Joel Olsteen's popularity is not driven by the same thing as those who seek megachurches, imo. His popularity comes from the feel-good message/prosperity message, as others have mentioned. He is not your standard megachurch.

Yep, all of the above.

I just want to add that there are mega churches that have good theology, as opposed to JO.  The Village, also in Texas, is a good example.  As a pastor's wife, it's pretty much the last thing I desire.  Church growth is a good thing, but mega church life is just not for me.

To me, over 200 is a megachurch.  ;)

I've never regularly attended one that was over about 80, actually...

To Joel Osteen as well as those churches that have more people than this part of my state, I think Tammy nailed it too.

To me, over 200 is a megachurch.   ;)

To Joel Osteen as well as those churches that have more people than this part of my state, I think Tammy nailed it too.

LOL, Yes! We are at 15 people right now and Mr. 15 is soon to go live with his dad. 

What would be the pleasure of being in the "nosebleed" section just to attend church and listen to a mild, positive man babble happiness for an hour?

I've read one of his books, I bought his mother's book about cancer when my mother was ill.  I've seen him on tv, but I've never been to his church.  If I lived there, maybe I'd attend. 

He's watched his mother battle cancer.  His father died.  His sister opened a package containing a pipe bomb meant for their father.   I don't know...  If he can still be a mild, positive man babbling happiness for an hour I think at least I'd be curious about how does it!      http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/31/us/pipe-bomb-explodes-in-houston-church.html

I've read one of his books, I bought his mother's book about cancer when my mother was ill. I've seen him on tv, but I've never been to his church. If I lived there, maybe I'd attend.

He's watched his mother battle cancer. His father died. His sister opened a package containing a pipe bomb meant for their father. I don't know... If he can still be a mild, positive man babbling happiness for an hour I think at least I'd be curious about how does it! http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/31/us/pipe-bomb-explodes-in-houston-church.html

Well, he's making an absolute fortune by being "mild and positive," so that might have something to do with it...

We belong to one of the larger parishes in the area and while it's not technically a "megachurch" it does have something like 1200 registered families. I think it's way too big but it's superconvenient (5 minute drive from my house) and they have 2 Masses on Saturday and 5 on Sunday so it makes our weekend scheduling more flexible.

I've read one of his books, I bought his mother's book about cancer when my mother was ill.  I've seen him on tv, but I've never been to his church.  If I lived there, maybe I'd attend. 

He's watched his mother battle cancer.  His father died.  His sister opened a package containing a pipe bomb meant for their father.   I don't know...  If he can still be a mild, positive man babbling happiness for an hour I think at least I'd be curious about how does it!      http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/31/us/pipe-bomb-explodes-in-houston-church.html

Exactly! 

I read his mom's book.  It was amazing.   But yeah...how does he stay so happy?!  ;)

Exactly! 

I read his mom's book.  It was amazing.   But yeah...how does he stay so happy?!  ;)

Cause he's laughing all the way to the bank. :D

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If he was just a motivation speaker- fine!

But I take offense at how he uses God's Word and teaches untruths, and makes a mockery out of it.

He is a hirling, that cares not for the sheep- well, only so much as to that they hand their monies over to his mega church......

I can't see him laying down his life for anyone, as he's having the time of his life.

John 10:

But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. 

I've attended a few over the years.  I initially went because my family was going to one, and they started going because the huge youth program was featured in the local newspaper and my sister's private christian day school required youth group involvement, and the Lutheran church we'd previously been attending had a dud of a youth group.

I stayed because I easily found a new group of friends there with similar values to mine.

I stopped going because I saw a lot of doctrinal issues I disagreed with and DH hates huge churches.

I could not be a part of a mega-church that was that large.

IMO there are far more "dangerous" megachurch pastors out there than Joel Osteen.  I used to be highly critical of him, but then my parents became friends with his brother, who also works in the church, and I had a bit more respect for him and understood a bit why he has the tone/preaching style he has.  He also takes no salary from the church.  His personal money comes from his books.  Now, one could argue that the church is why his books are so popular, and I would agree with that.  However, he is not purely a prosperity doctrine preacher.  It would not be the church I would choose to attend, nor would do I watch him on TV or read his books, but I don't think he is the anti-Christ.

We have a mega-church with about 12 satellites here in this area.  No way I would want to be a part of it.  Our church is large (I have no idea what constitutes a megachurch actually!) but it is manageable IMO.

Dawn

I watched an interview he and his wife did, on Fox News Channel, several times. (Fox shows "Extras" to Overseas viewers, when U.S. viewers are seeing commercials).  Their message is *extremely* positive. IMHO, if they are rich, they deserve their riches, because of their extraordinarily positive messages to their congregations. To use a word DD's English teacher applied to a video DD made for a lesson,, they have "Charisma".

I could not be a part of a mega-church that was that large.

IMO there are far more "dangerous" megachurch pastors out there than Joel Osteen. I used to be highly critical of him, but then my parents became friends with his brother, who also works in the church, and I had a bit more respect for him and understood a bit why he has the tone/preaching style he has. He also takes no salary from the church. His personal money comes from his books. Now, one could argue that the church is why his books are so popular, and I would agree with that. However, he is not purely a prosperity doctrine preacher. It would not be the church I would choose to attend, nor would do I watch him on TV or read his books, but I don't think he is the anti-Christ.

We have a mega-church with about 12 satellites here in this area. No way I would want to be a part of it. Our church is large (I have no idea what constitutes a megachurch actually!) but it is manageable IMO.

Dawn

My personal feeling about Osteen is similar. I neither love nor loathe his message. I do think, as stated up-thread, it is problematic when a member embraces the Word of Faith concept, but then suffers in a devastating way. I still feel stung when people relate stories of how God saved their child; He did not save mine. I wasn't a Word if Faith believer, but still - one expects prayer to make a difference for the better.

When I was watching the TV show, he was talking about "God has a bigger vision for you." Again, not exactly a bad thing to put in your head, certainly there are worse messages on TV to dwell upon. But at the same time, there were aspects that annoyed me. For example, he would say something like, "are you happy you've been made supervisor of your department? God's got a bigger vision for you. GOD wants you to OWN the company..." So I think, wait. Not everybody is meant to be business owner. Not everyone is meant to be supervisor, either.

I honestly haven't listened to him enough to have heard that sort of comment.  That would bother me too.

I have heard him talk about being positive and blessing others with your positive attitude, etc.....and how blessing others in this way blesses you at the same time.  All of that I can agree with.  

I have no desire to own a company nor do I have any desire for my husband to own a company!  That would be so much more work and stress for all of us!

And really, I went in to counseling to help others, not to be rich.  To me, riches are not monetary.

My personal feeling about Osteen is similar. I neither love nor loathe his message. I do think, as stated up-thread, it is problematic when a member embraces the Word of Faith concept, but then suffers in a devastating way. I still feel stung when people relate stories of how God saved their child; He did not save mine. I wasn't a Word if Faith believer, but still - one expects prayer to make a difference for the better.

When I was watching the TV show, he was talking about "God has a bigger vision for you." Again, not exactly a bad thing to put in your head, certainly there are worse messages on TV to dwell upon. But at the same time, there were aspects that annoyed me. For example, he would say something like, "are you happy you've been made supervisor of your department? God's got a bigger vision for you. GOD wants you to OWN the company..." So I think, wait. Not everybody is meant to be business owner. Not everyone is meant to be supervisor, either.

I've read one of his books, I bought his mother's book about cancer when my mother was ill. I've seen him on tv, but I've never been to his church. If I lived there, maybe I'd attend.

He's watched his mother battle cancer. His father died. His sister opened a package containing a pipe bomb meant for their father. I don't know... If he can still be a mild, positive man babbling happiness for an hour I think at least I'd be curious about how does it! http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/31/us/pipe-bomb-explodes-in-houston-church.html

But, that's just how life works. Lots of people have relatives with cancer, sisters with abusive husbands, children with drug issues, etc. Lots of those people still smile and live happy lives. His smile doesn't impress me.

I don't have any interest in attending a mega church. We attended a larger church for a while, but it was not a great fit for us.

However, I can speak to why people might respond to a positive message.  We attended a fundamental, legalistic church for a few years. After being told that salvation is a free gift, but then afterward, you have to work to please God and be right with God. After angry , hateful, sarcastic sermons over a few years, a positive, loving message is most welcome and is like a cold drink of fresh water after crossing a desert.  

To me, over 200 is a megachurch.   ;)

I grew up in churches of around 200 (Though the main one we were there when it grew to that size. Which matters too) So that is where I am most comfortable.

But i have seen the problems that can be there even in very small churches

And I married a fellow who plays strings.  For a church to have opportunities for string players, we've found they need to be larger. So we have gone to churches of 600-1000 my entire married life. And I have learned how to be comfortable even in the larger numbers. You might not know everyone in the church, but you get active and can be known in the church by your Sunday School class, the AWANA workers you work with every week, the teachers of your children.  People who will notice if you stop coming and drop a line to find out if something is wrong.

I attend a large church with a few satellite sites. I think we have 7,000 members? We are a small groups church, so you get to really meet and connect with people in your groups. We enjoy that there are lots of opportunities to serve and be served, as well as lots of different people to meet. When you consistently attend one service, you get to know the others there and it feels like a smaller church. When we attend smaller churches, it was the same people and same activities for years on end. In the extremely small churches I'm familiar with, it can be much much easier to fall into nosiness and gossip. There are positives and negatives to everything, IMO.

We attend a fairly large church, but it will never become a megachurch (not sure how that is defined, though, lol) because the leadership is committed to sending out church planters to other areas as we grow.  So if we never get any larger it's because we are growing *churches* and that's how I think it should be.  Not satellites, btw, actual independent churches. 

It scares me a bit to think that any church leadership would presume that THEY are what keeps a church together and not trust God's work in building up other leaders in their midst to grow His church.  I've come to think that's part of why there are so many satellites.  It's hard to believe that in congregations that large not a single person is being built up, trained, and then capable of being sent out and only the head pastor and elders can lead/*control* the satellites.  (I know there are a few situations where temporarily there is not a person who can pastor a satellite, but that should be rare.)

Like another poster said, we started going to our local mega church after burnout and disillusionment in a small church. It was nice to go, sit, worship, and leave. We could only take that for so long because that particular church isn't very friendly. When we healed enough we moved on.

I grew up in a church that had 1000+ members. We attended there for a while after we were married. It's a good church. There were no doctrinal problems, but we always thought the sermons were a little "light". We switched churches 7 years ago because of a fabulous preacher who really preached "meaty" sermons and the church, though quite small, was growing. Three years ago, our pastor was caught in infidelity and the church went into crisis. We were able to pull out, but we were quite damaged. Fast forward to today, we now have a wonderful, caring pastor, but our church, while we average about 70-80 each Sunday, is demographically skewed. We have a huge number of elderly. So, the burden of running the church falls on a few and it's exhausting. We do love our church, but our kids attend all the youth functions at our old church, since there's nothing for them at our church. And I agree with what a PP said about mega-churches being re-bound churches. I do want to serve in church. I think it's important. But in our church, the burden of service falls to a small group because the poor little old ladies who hobble in with their walkers..... They can't run the games at VBS, or do those other things. And I'm in charge of Children's Church, but I can't find many volunteers, so I teach half the time, even though I'm missing the sermon. Though it's come down to, if my two daughters are the only ones who will be in Children's Church (as it is often), I just cancel Children's Chuch. Sometimes I really want to go back to our old church.

Personally, I don't have a beef with Osteen himself.  I think he's really light on actual Scriptural teaching, but I do think Scripture is probably his actual motivator.

Because of his style, I think he's a good way to get people (re)started, walking with Christ, and just hope that they'll branch beyond him as soon as they're capable.  

I'm not really a fan of Osteen because I don't think there's much scriptural teaching there, but I don't have a problem with megachurches.  There is a nearby church with a 204,000 foot building, two other campuses, and seven services and they have ministries for every imaginable need.  They actually started the church I now attend and have planted churches in communities all over this part of the state and most of those churches have become quite large too.  The large church and their "church plants" try very hard to get people involved in small groups so they can develop close relationships.  It may be Bible studies, outreach ministries, sports teams, Sunday school classes or whatever, but nobody should be able to complain that they can't find some way to get involved in the life of the church.  In our case, these churches are some of the few in the area that aren't mainline denominations and seem to be more comfortable for people who want basic Bible teaching, but can't relate to any specific denomination. 

ETA:  My church would be considered a megachurch by many of the posters here.  We had missed a number of Sundays in a row due to other family activities and I got a call from one of the pastors telling me they had noticed that we hadn't been there for awhile and wanted to make sure things were OK, so they do try to keep track of member needs.

I don't know the pastor you're speaking of, so I'll just comment on the mega-church part.  :)  The only way I would attend a mega-church is if the pastor gave really incredible, challenging, thoughtful sermons.  I don't care for "candy" sermons or sermons that are more like positive-thinking philosophies.  I do not like the so-called prosperity message.  But, I don't assume that all mega churches have sermons/philosophies like that.  I assume there are good, solid preachers at both large and small churches.

Well, he's making an absolute fortune by being "mild and positive," so that might have something to do with it...

This is exactly why I can't stand this man.  This is what it is all about... making money.  It isn't what it is supposed to be about, but it is what it is.  He is getting rich off others (a lot of whom can't really afford to be giving him money).  I think it is disgusting and pathetic.

The church I used to attend only had about 200 going to it when I started.  When I left there were several thousand people attending the church (obviously they had to build a new building).  The new building looks like a warehouse.  Since becoming so huge, the pastors seem to have forgotten the purpose of the church in the first place.  They are all about numbers and making money now.  They don't preach the truth anymore.  They don't care about the people anymore.  It is very sad in my opinion.

I have had/seen pretty bad experiences overall with the pastors of our local megachurches. We've had several in our area who have been involved in pretty big scandals. I purchased a vehicle from one of the pastors of a big church some years ago, and he was pretty shady - couldn't look me in the eye. He wound up running for senate here, and I was SO glad he didn't win. I have some friends that attend a megachurch in BR that recently had a big adultery scandal with their pastor. Of course Jimmy Swaggart was the poster-boy for scandal around here. 

I just feel like so often in megachurces, the worship becomes about the pastor because of the way he makes people FEEL, and not so much about God and scripture. I just don't believe our faith should be practiced based on that "feel good" method. Yes, most of the leaders of those churches are quite charismatic, but it comes across to ME as phony. 

Of course, this is just my personal opinion based on what I've seen.

I have had/seen pretty bad experiences overall with the pastors of our local megachurches. We've had several in our area who have been involved in pretty big scandals. I purchased a vehicle from one of the pastors of a big church some years ago, and he was pretty shady - couldn't look me in the eye. He wound up running for senate here, and I was SO glad he didn't win. I have some friends that attend a megachurch in BR that recently had a big adultery scandal with their pastor. Of course Jimmy Swaggart was the poster-boy for scandal around here. 

I just feel like so often in megachurces, the worship becomes about the pastor because of the way he makes people FEEL, and not so much about God and scripture. I just don't believe our faith should be practiced based on that "feel good" method. Yes, most of the leaders of those churches are quite charismatic, but it comes across to ME as phony. 

Reminds me of this: olasky_38.jpg

http://www.religionnews.com/2014/02/24/megachurch-pastor-steven-furticks-spontaneous-baptisms-spontaneous/

To the extent that Joel Osteen and similar preachers reach the unchurched and get them interested in hearing the Good News, I consider that a positive thing. Now I do pray that it's only a first step in their walk with Christ and that they start reading their Bibles more closely and learning about theology & Church history. My personal belief is that doing so will lead them away from the "feel good" megachurches to a very different kind of a church, but everyone needs to find his/her own path to Christ.

I've known those things to happen in small to medium sized churches much more often than in megachurches.  Which isn't surprising, given that there are so many more "normal" sized churches.  I mainly just wanted to point out that they certainly aren't issues limited to megachurches.

In another state we attended a 5000 people per weekend church. Here we attend a church with 25-30 attending.

The large church had way more opportunities to serve. Also at the large church I knew a smaller percentage of the people but I knew more people and had better connections than the small church.

I am not a fan of Olsteen but we attended another mega church in San Antonio when we lived there. I was hesitant at first but it turned out to be incredible for myself and my kids (CBC ... Pastor Robert Emmitt.. In case anyone was wondering). Leaving that church was the only thing I did not like about moving away.

I can't stand MegaChurchs (in general).  Yet, I happily belong to one, and am active.  

I started going to the Tuesday noon service in the chapel.  It is a big enough church that the chapel is the size of a medium sized church.  The service was originally intended for the workers who were generally very busy on Sundays.  Usually about 50 people showed up, and they were often the same people and were very friendly.  Mostly retired people and other parents of small children.  I was a SAHM with a baby in a sling.  I was very worried about getting the stink-eye every time she made a peep.  But, no, all I got was welcoming smiles.  It was the type of service I like.  Just the essentials.  Minimal music.   

Then I went back to work, and went to Sunday services.  The Nursery was AMAZING!  Kids are subdivided by 6 month age bands, and the workers were amazing with the kids.  Everyone was so friendly and nice.  

Then this last fall DD was ready for Sunday School and they needed a teacher, so I became one of her teachers.  When I go to service, I sit in the same area and about 50% of the people near me and the same people every week, so I've gotten to know them.  So, I probably know as many people as if I went to a normal church.  It is just a much smaller percentage of the total.