Menu

What are your "I can't even" dinner ideas?

alysee

Summer is so hard because our routine is off and having to drag myself back inside to start dinner is always a hassle. What are your easy to put together meals? 

We have been doing a ton of:

Sheet Pan Tofu

chickpea pasta with tomato sauce

Baked Beans & Biscuits

3 bean chili

Naan Pizzas

Quesadillas

• Like 1

I just went through the frozen foods aisle this morning and bought a week’s worth of dinners and plan on giving that to family & making salads for me. Too much going on for me to stress about food this week. 

• Like 5

Cold cuts, cheese, and good bread for sandwiches 

Big salad with some pasta or lentils/beans or barley, lots of tomatoes and cucumbers, some sort of protein and dressing 

Chicken salad of various sorts 

We typically have big slices of cold melon for most dinners in the summer. So, those, and maybe a green salad, with everything above.

• Like 4

Anything on the grill

Pasta carbonara

Tortellini with pesto

Tacos

Grilled chicken on a bed of spinach with <insert whatever veggies/cheese/sauce needs to be used>

Falafel, cucumber salad, na'an, hummus, tzadziki.

We're pretty relaxed during the summer and we have these available nearly all the time, but I have a strict menu right now due to ds14 that is high protein/green veggies/complex carbs.  The rest of us eat like scavengers, though. 😄

• Like 2

In addition to ideas above, we have been using the rice maker a lot, and we nuke frozen Brussels sprouts — we sauté the sprouts afterward, rice is on side, and throwing some protein on the grill (or in a pan if it’s too hot to be outside).

Lots of fresh fruit, some egg salad, tuna salad.

Watching for more ideas.

• Like 2

This time of year, dinner almost always starts w/ a big salad and we build from there. I like having coleslaw, cowboy caviar, rice, cous cous, avocado, grilled veggies, greek salad toppings, various proteins, etc. 

I like having burger salads w/ veggie or turkey burgers - top w/ pickles, thinly sliced red onion, roasted potato wedges. 

Greek salad - topped w/ olives, feta, parsley, cucumbers, red onion, pita bread on the side

Taco salad - mix salsa w/ sour cream for a dressing and top salad w/ anything you like on tacos 

BBQ salad - nice w/ coleslaw and corn on the cob (bbq sliced chicken or tempeh)

Wonton salad - I buy these frozen mini wontons and cook them. Top a salad w/ a nice asian slaw, ginger sesame dressing and the cooked wontons. 

Crabcake salad! (Gardein makes vegan crabcakes that are tasty)

I'm forgetting a bunch, but this is the general dinner pattern around here all summer!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Katy said:

I just went through the frozen foods aisle this morning and bought a week’s worth of dinners and plan on giving that to family & making salads for me. Too much going on for me to stress about food this week. 

Pretty much the same here.

Or those Hormel pre-made  charcuterie trays (basically adult lunchables).

• Like 1

We have “snack suppers.” Nowadays it’s called a charcuterie board, but this dates back to before that was a “thing.” We put out some cheese, crackers, fruit, sausage, nuts & sometimes a bit of chocolate. We leave it out for a couple of hours in the evening & we graze off & on during that time. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Quesadillas/burritos

We usually grill a big pile of chicken once a week or so, and use the leftovers for sandwiches, quesadillas, etc. 

Tinned fish - tuna, sardines

There are always various crackers, breads, and cheeses, and always something for a salad.

I try to keep some leftovers, like pulled pork or taco meat, in the freezer.

Not above having hot dogs or sausages sometimes, with frozen fries heated in the air fryer.

I try to keep fresh berries around; that is the only universally-liked fruit here.

I'll buy frozen or prepared foods from Costco sometimes. They aren't always loved, but they feed people.

• Like 2

Lately it has been paninis (turkey, Swiss, pesto, or just cheese on good sourdough), cheese and crackers, Bare frozen chicken nuggets, pasta salad with pesto, mini mozzarella pearls, cucs/tomatoes from garden, eggs, bean/cheese quesadillas, and Pizza Hut lol

I usually do better with salads, but even that hasn’t happened much lately. 

• Like 2

We like a lot of dinner salads in the summer. This week I have plans for a Greek chicken salad and a shrimp and white bean salad. 

Beans and rice dishes, and/or anything with taco-ish flavors, are always a hit with my crew. So I can do black beans and rice, and they can add avocado, salsa, sour cream, olives, cheese, etc.

Anything grilled, especially burgers.

We also have season passes to a local amusement park, and we have a daily meal plan, so some days we go there for a few hours, and everyone can pick their own meal, which is a win all around. There's a fair variety, not just the usual fast food stuff. Just to throw out a different possibility. . .

• Like 2

Pita bread, chicken strips (store bought and we air fry) and tzatziki dip. We use the pita bread as a wrap. 

I ran out of store bought chicken strips today so pita bread with hummus, carrot strips and zucchini strips is my husband’s lunch. 

• Like 1

Dinner salads with a protein (often chicken or shrimp)

Tacos - I can cook the meat earlier in the day if necessary

Sandwiches - If I feel like getting sub rolls and enough different deli meats and cheese we'll do make you own subs. Everyone puts what they want on theirs.

Rice or quinoa bowls with veggies and a protein.

Pasta with homemade marinara because marinara is quick

Order pizza

My go to easy meal when I'm just not feeling it is black beans and rice. If I'm a little motivated I sauté some onion and garlic then dump in a couple cans of rinsed beans and spices. Rice in the rice cooker. If I have zero motivation, then no onions and garlic. Cilantro, avocado, salsa as toppers if I have them.

• Like 1

Put a bunch of chicken boobs in a crockpot with lemon juice, a little soy sauce, and lemon pepper. Put a bunch of potatoes in another crock pot to make baked potatoes. Add a bag of baby carrots and a carton of berries on the side.

Edited by wisdomandtreasures
Typos. So many typos! Lol
  • Like 1

I make my husband grill something: hamburgers, chicken thighs, brats, or pork tenderloin, etc. If we really can't be bothered, we have raw veggies and chips on the side. Otherwise we might do sides like corn on the cob, fries in the air fryer, salad, etc. 

• Like 1

My quick go to is Black bean tacos

1 can black beans rinsed and drained 

1 can corn drained

1 can petite diced tomatoes (whatever style you like/have in the pantry) partially drained

1 packet taco seasoning mix

stir all together and heat on the stove, crock pot or microwave.

Can add leftover cooked meat if you want.  Serve in warmed flour or corn tortillas, over chips, over rice, over lettuce, etc.  

Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, black olives, or anything else you like/have bits of in the fridge.

Goes together in 5 minutes and can be vegan/vegetarian/meatlovers depending on what you add.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

Put a bunch of chicken boobs in a crockpot with lemon juice, a little soy sauce, and lemon pepper. Put a bunch of potatoes in another crock pot to make baked potatoes. Add a bag of baby carrots and a carton of berries on the side.

No amounts?  I'd like to do this, but I'm afraid to cook anything without a recipe.  I mean, I could throw in something like chicken broth and be okay, but I wouldn't want to use too much/little soy sauce and lemon juice.  I'm a terrible cook. 

Do you all put your crockpot in the garage or on the porch or something? Every crockpot I’ve ever used heats up the whole kitchen! It’s much more likely to get used on a cold day in my house.

Depends on whether or not I have to consider food for DH. If yes to him, it's going to be things like spaghetti/tortellini, frozen pizza, hamburger helper with a bag of frozen veggies tossed in, chicken strips/fries/whatever veggie seems easiest.

Without Dh, the kids and I would do things like, pan fried zucchini with parmesan cheese (yes we make that a complete meal), raw veggies with dip and maybe a piece of cheese, sweet corn (another complete meal all by itself), salads if a bunch of veggies were already chopped or everyone could be coerced into doing one thing. Or we might make a meal of egg rolls or some other premade appetizer that can be put in the air fryer. I'd also be happy with a big bowl of fruit for a meal. The kids might make quesadillas.

• Like 1

Usually that's when I turn to yelp and order takeout or go out to dinner (depending on the dirty dishes situation). 

I also try to have some frozen foods on hand like chicken nuggets, fish sticks, pierogis, raviolis etc. Then saute some vegetables or make a salad (usually fruity because summer).

Tacos/nachos is another option for summer thing. Ground beef with Tajin seasoning then top it off with chopped summer fruits, tomatoes and/or frozen corn. 

Pasta with either with tomato sauce (canned San Marzano tomato or Raos usually mix in some fresh basil leaves for the summer), cheese sauce (roux with cheese), or white sauce (roux with garlic, milk, herbs - for us usually rosemary because I have a lot of it in my yard). I may also mix in whatever leftover meat into the sauce.

Baked potato in the microwave. If I feel like dolling it up then add a Beurre Monte (whisk together hot water and melted butter), add water herbs flavors to this (garlic, rosemary, etc.).    

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Do you all put your crockpot in the garage or on the porch or something? Every crockpot I’ve ever used heats up the whole kitchen! It’s much more likely to get used on a cold day in my house.

Yes, on the back patio positioned so I can see it every time I go in the kitchen and not forget about it. 😉 Also, if I fold up a kitchen towel and put it on top it tends to absorb some of the heat. 

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

No amounts?  I'd like to do this, but I'm afraid to cook anything without a recipe.  I mean, I could throw in something like chicken broth and be okay, but I wouldn't want to use too much/little soy sauce and lemon juice.  I'm a terrible cook. 

Nope, I just eyeball things. I only measure for baking. For my family of 8 I might do 4 large pieces of chicken (I buy frozen so there's a litle liquid that melts there) and... hmm, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice, maybe a tablespoon of soy sauce. You can't mess it up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

I have a little metal table on the back porch. I plug it in, lay a thick dish towel over the lid and flip a laundry basket over the top to keep the barn cats off.

• Like 2

If your family likes fish, a tin of mackerel in olive oil stirred into cooked pasta with a squeeze of lemon and some black pepper made a great main for us.

I also tend to roast a bunch of veg in one go then heat up another night - they reheat well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Same. I literally have to look up how to boil eggs every. single. time. 😂 

Page 403 in my plaid Betty Crocker cookbook from 1993 tells me how to make baked potatoes every single time.😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We usually hit the neighborhood pool two days a week. As soon as dh gets off at 5, we head out the door. For those days, we have cold-cut sandwiches on crusty bread, cucumbers, and maybe chips/cheez-its. Plus a bottle of wine. Why cucumbers? Because I'm pulling 6-8 of them off the vines almost every day right now... 

Other nights are often InstantPot or CrockPot meals. I keep them in the kitchen & don't find that they heat my kitchen up. We do run the air conditioner all summer long, set at 76. 

We usually eat out twice a week, as well. It's our main way of socializing with friends. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Page 403 in my plaid Betty Crocker cookbook from 1993 tells me how to make baked potatoes every single time.😀

I have to look it up every time too 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

My DH uses my old Betty Crocker cookbook from the mid-80s to make corn on the cob every single time.  🙂 He generally doesn't need recipes for cooking, but he likes to check that one every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Kassia said:

My DH uses my old Betty Crocker cookbook from the mid-80s to make corn on the cob every single time.  🙂 He generally doesn't need recipes for cooking, but he likes to check that one every time.

Same with me.  I can wing bigger meals but always forget how long to bake potatoes at various temps.

And I struggle making jello.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Baked potatoes with whatever random toppings

Oh yeah, I forgot about this. While baked potatoes taste better actually baked I just microwave them on I Can't Even nights. Sometimes I'll buy a bag of pre-cut broccoli florets and microwave those too as a topping. Optional: cheese and sour cream to top it off. 

• Like 1

Sangria. We keep a glass quart jar of it going in the fridge and just add red wine and more fruit when it gets too low.

Felafel, cukes, tomato, lettuce, and goddess dressing is my I can't even dinner.  That and sangria.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eos said:

Felafel, cukes, tomato, lettuce, and goddess dressing is my I can't even dinner.  That and sangria.

How do you make your falafel? I find it such a production that I save that for days when I have lots of time and energy. 

• Like 1

I’m grateful for this thread for some new ideas. I lose my appetite during summer months. Nothing sounds good to me, and it makes me not want to cook. 

Smoothies are sounding good to me, but that’s something I definitely need a recipe for. 

I really like the charcuterie/snacky idea. Even my picky eaters will do that. That’s definitely going on my rotation. 

Choosing a protein in summer for dinner is always a challenge when I lose my appetite. I only want fish. My husband and youngest dd hate fish. And if I don’t cook, they’ll go get takeout which adds up $$$. 

About boiling eggs… I have one of those cute little egg cookers. I LOVE that thing. No more looking up the recipe. lol 

Deviled eggs are one of the few things that I feel like eating lately, so I’ve been steaming eggs a lot.

• Like 3