Menu

Different pizza toppings

Amira

I got a baking steel a couple of months ago and it makes the best pizza and flatbreads, so now we’re having pizza way more often than we used to.  My current favorite toppings are pesto and local buffalo mozzarella (water buffalo are a thing here), and brie (or camembert) over sliced onions and tomatoes.  Ds sadly thinks that regular pepperoni pizza is still the best, but I’d like to try some new ideas.  What do you like on pizza when you want something a little fancier?

sauces

ranch dressing

garlic olive oil

bbq sauce

asian zing sauce

alfredo sauce

meats

chicken

bacon

bbq pork

veggies

sun dried tomatoes or roma tomato chunks

roasted garlic

spinach

potatoes

carmelized onions

Other toppings

kalamata olives

feta cheese

If you are into thicker crust roll the dough out thicker than your pan and stick in pieces of frozen string cheese and wrap the crust around it and seal and you will have stuffed crust pizza

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

sauces

ranch dressing

garlic olive oil

bbq sauce

asian zing sauce

alfredo sauce

meats

chicken

bacon

bbq pork

veggies

sun dried tomatoes or roma tomato chunks

roasted garlic

spinach

potatoes

carmelized onions

Other toppings

kalamata olives

feta cheese

If you are into thicker crust roll the doll out thicker than your pan and stick in pieces of frozen string cheese and wrap the crust around it and seal and you will have stuffed crust pizza

Love this list. I would also add roasted red peppers.

• Like 1

That sounds so yummy! My all-time favorite pizza is fairly similar, but I’ll share anyway. 🙂

pesto first on the crust

then thinly sliced red onions, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, sliced black olives, feta cheese, just a bit of mozzarella if wanted

so delish!

eta: I forgot the tomatoes!

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

My all-time favorite pizza is green pepper.

I like it with bell pepper rings, and if I'm ordering I always order double toppings.

One time I ordered this on Christmas Eve and they gave me a mix of red and green pepper rings.  It was festive and delicious!

Growing up, my younger brother would not eat green peppers.  This was a huge bonus for me because I didn't have to worry about him eating my leftovers!!  A few years ago, he came to visit for Christmas, and one of the first things he said to me was, "I like green peppers now."  Which means my pizza is no longer safe if he's around...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've made one with bar-b-que sauce as the sauce (very light), chopped brisket, cut up onions + dill pickle slices + sliced banana peppers and add a little shredded cheddar cheese. DH likes that one. 

I make a pizza with naan or pita bread as the crust - little olive oil, little red wine vinegar, torn up spinach, chopped roma tomatoes, sliced olives, feta cheese, Italian seasoning, all mixed together and then dumped on crust (which I've sprayed lightly with olive oil and toasted slightly). Bake for 5-6 minutes. Yummy, light lunch or supper. My DH believes there must be meat on pizza, so I usually add chopped brisket to his. 

• Like 2

Cheeseburger Pizza:  Mayo, Ketchup Mustard (squirted, not mixed all together), then crumbled ground beef/sausage, onions, pickles, cheese.

You can literally take any special sandwich (Philly Cheesesteak, for example) and turn those same ingredients into a pizza (or a soup, or a casserole).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

You aren’t too far from me.  My crew likes traditional pepperoni pizza or sometimes a meat lovers pizza.  All those veggies ruin pizza! 

I'd be thrilled with double cheese (afraid to order that because of all the additional calories) but anything else...no no no.  Can't even pick it off - ruins the taste for me.  

• Like 2

Look at menus for "curry pizza" restaurants  - this is a wholly unique style of pizza in many parts of america - they have everything from palak paneer pizza to chaat masala pizza to tikka masala pizza - you need to eat one to know how absolutely delicious indian pizzas are 🙂

Here is a sample menu:

https://www.currypizzahouse.com/our-menu/#craft-curry-pizzas

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Look at menus for "curry pizza" restaurants  - this is a wholly unique style of pizza in many parts of america - they have everything from palak paneer pizza to chaat masala pizza to tikka masala pizza - you need to eat one to know how absolutely delicious indian pizzas are 🙂

Here is a sample menu:

Yes! Here they have three base sauces: a garlic, a curry, and a tomato based—but the tomato base is not like Prego/American style. It’s super complex. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Here is a sample menu:

Those are popular in Dublin, too. We kept seeing curry pizza places (also curry and kebab and once all 3) and found it curious. I’ll have to recommend trying one to DS! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

LOL, none.  Any topping ruins the pizza IMO!  I know I'm in the minority on this one...

LOL. I was thinking "what's sad about liking regular pepperoni pizza?"  

Actually I do like some different things sometimes, but when I am craving pizza, I just want cheese or pepperoni, maybe some black olives or mushrooms. Sometimes a white garlic sauce with spinach.  Sometimes more vegetables such as fresh tomatoes, roasted red pepper, red onion. Sometimes buffalo chicken.  Never barbecue sauce, that's just not a flavor I like in general. 

But, to me, yeah, pizza is cheese or cheese and pepperoni. 

Oh, sometimes my husband makes pesto pizza, using pesto from Costco, a little mozzarella and parmesan, and pine nuts if we can afford them. I like that too. But again, it's not pizza to me

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

Years ago I would order the BLT pizza from California pizza kitchen - crust baked with some olive oil, parmesan, whatever, then topped with a bit of mayo, shredded lettuce, bacon chunks, and sliced tomato. (all cold)

I like a pesto pizza with mushrooms and artichoke hearts. 

I have had a philly cheesteak style one somewhere, that was yummy. 

I like roasted veggie pizza - with lots of roasted peppers and japanese eggplant. 

Buffalo pizza with a buffalo sauce instead of tomato sauce, chicken, and chunks of blue cheese. 

• Like 1

Dh and DS are making pizza right now and I think they're just throwing all the meat they can find in the fridge on it.  Sometimes DS likes buffalo chicken pizza.  I put regular pizza sauce, cheese, leftover chicken mix with buffalo sauce, and sometimes a blue cheese drizzle on top.  Dd will sometimes do an alfredo pizza instead of one with a tomato sauce.  She also likes feta on hers.  Dh and I tend to use garlic as a topping.  We also like a little bit of anchovy on it.  Anchovies add BIG flavor.  Artichoke hearts are awesome on pizza and there is no such thing as too many mushrooms.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marbel said:

LOL. I was thinking "what's sad about liking regular pepperoni pizza?"  

Actually I do like some different things sometimes, but when I am craving pizza, I just want cheese or pepperoni, maybe some black olives or mushrooms. A white garlic sauce with spinach.  Sometimes more vegetables such as fresh tomatoes, roasted red pepper, red onion. Sometimes buffalo chicken.  Never barbecue sauce, that's just not a flavor I like in general. 

But, to me, yeah, pizza is cheese or cheese and pepperoni. 

Oh, sometimes my husband makes pesto pizza, using pesto from Costco, a little mozzarella and parmesan, and pine nuts if we can afford them. I like that too. But again, it's not pizza to me

This is how I am too. Fancy topped pizza is delicious. But it doesn’t satisfy my need for a big, foldy, greasy slice when I want one!

Our local Whole Foods makes a breakfast pizza that is kind of neat. It has spinach and tomato and bacon and a tiny bit of mozzarella cheese. And then they somehow get a couple of eggs to fry sunny side up on top. (I think it’s because they have that super hot industrial oven).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Here is a sample menu:

Our local kosher (!) Indian place also makes curry pizzas. Wasn't on my radar until my BIL ordered curry leaf pesto pizza with roasted eggplant and tomatoes. It's crack for us adults. In kinda of still scared to try the other curry pizza versions even though I like them all in Indian food style.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

I was wondering how you liked it! So you’d give it a resounding “yes”? Can you share (possibly again) which brand you ended up with? 

Huge yes.  I can't believe how much better it is than a stone, even a good, thick stone.  I got this one, although I don't think the brand actually matters.  Get the thickest one you can. I ended up with 3/8", although I would have preferred 1/2". I just couldn't bring myself to spend another $50 for a thicker steel, and I have no complaints about the 3/8".  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085SW7PG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Amira said:

I got a baking steel a couple of months ago and it makes the best pizza and flatbreads, so now we’re having pizza way more often than we used to.  My current favorite toppings are pesto and local buffalo mozzarella (water buffalo are a thing here), and brie (or camembert) over sliced onions and tomatoes.  Ds sadly thinks that regular pepperoni pizza is still the best, but I’d like to try some new ideas.  What do you like on pizza when you want something a little fancier?

I'd LOVE to try buffalo mozzarella! I've heard wonderful things about it.

• Like 1

Oh, and we have discovered that making pizza in the Green Egg is wonderful!  The only way we do it anymore. When we had exchange students this summer, they each made individual pizzas.  That is what we like to do. We cut everything up and then people put things on their pizza. Or sometimes we make 3 big pizzas if all the kids are home and they each get to make one the way they want.  We love doing these pizza bars at home.

• Like 1

Not too long ago I made a smoked salmon pizza.   I baked the pizza crust naked with just a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper, and once it had cooled some, smeared it with a layer of chive and onion cream cheese.  On top of that I scattered thinly sliced smoked salmon, red onions, sliced cherry tomatoes and the tiniest bit of super chopped fresh broccoli.  A drizzle of balsamic vinegar finished the whole thing.  I think some capers would have been a nice addition, but since this was a spur of the moment deal with what I had available, it worked for what it was.  Some kind of pickled element definitely would have been the perfect way to finish it.