Menu

TV shows you wish hadn't ended, or that started and were cancelled and left you hanging

DawnM

I was thinking of the show Alcatraz today.  I was so intrigued and couldn't wait to see what happened, and then, BAM, it was cancelled before it even really started.

I also remember watching some show about a hospital on the SciFi channel.  It only had like 6 episodes because it freaked people out and they stopped filming.  I think it was called All Souls.

19 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Timeless.  Timeless should not have been cancelled when it was. 

Jericho.  Should not have been cancelled.  I think both had a few more seasons in them

right now I am super hoping Manifest isn’t cancelled   It’s on the bubble and I suspect they haven’t started filming and that Covid is going to restrict it.   

We just watched the season finale of Manifest.  Would be so upset if that gets cancelled.  Timeless and Manifest are favorite family shows!

2 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Earth 2

I thought I was the only one who remembered that, lol.

I have a couple of others:

Revolution (mainly because I would have been an extra in season three. 🙂 )

Alphas (left them all on the subway platform. What???)

Limitless

Taken (not the Liam Neeson movie)

Travelers

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I know, it was just getting rolling and I loved the cast and idea.  But yeah, stuff that’s Stargate levels of family friendly sci fi seems to just not be grimmdark enough for Nielsen anymore.  Sad.

I feel like part of it is the shift to long range arcs from episodic shows. Arcs favor complexity, which is less family friendly just on its face because younger kids can't watch with everyone else. And, of course, gritty is a draw for some audiences. I like gritty stuff too. I have no moral objections or anything, but sometimes lighter is just refreshing. Not everything has to be dark.

The BBC still makes family friend scifi, but part of this stems from their mission to serve all their demographics, I think.

• Like 2

I can't recall most but know there are several that left me hanging and wanting. I'm still surprised that Splitting Up Together didn't get renewed for a third season. It was so worthy of renewal.

What I'm loving is the recent trend to give some kind closure even if it's a short few episodes next season. That's cool. I think with so many things going on Netflix, Prime, and the like, it makes sense to offer a complete and satisfying story with an ending.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

Basically all the SciFi shows already mentioned.

Veronica Mars
I loved Jericho and Terra Nova
Grimm was great
Dark Angel
Dollhouse

Edited to add:  Shannara.  I know it had issues but I liked it.  I think it didn't really get a chance.
Edited again:  Legend of the Seeker - same, had issues but didn't get a chance

I think sometimes these shows change direction or tone after a few years and that hurts them.    Sometimes they only had a plan for a few years and don't know where to go after that.  

I wonder what's different about the ones that really work and stay on.  Is it the network? (or networks, some that lasted longer moved around, the CW seems much more wililng to continue shows).  Is it the actors?  

Supernatural has been on for 15 years but is ending after this year.

Buffy had an actual ending (mostly, it continued in comic books).

The 100 has been going on forever, way past its source material but will end this year with 100 episodes done.

Edited by Where's Toto?

Firefly goes without saying. 😄 

11 hours ago, klmama said:

Agent Carter.  I completely missed it while it was on and just discovered it recently on Disney Plus.  I love it, and I wish they'd filmed more seasons.

I forgot about Agent Carter. We were watching it on Hulu while it was still airing and were disappointed to find out it was canceled.

While I might be sad at first when a series I like ends, once it's over I don't think much about it anymore. I'm not that invested in any shows to care. I just find something else to watch. I do get disappointed if I'm watching something on a streaming service and it disappears from the service before I can finish watching. I really should pay more attention to those websites that tell you when a show will no longer be available on Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Covert Affairs

Can't remember the name, but the show that had the Doc Martin actor as an undertaker who was married to a midwife. 

Both shows had the last few episodes shrinkwrapped to give some kind of ending, sadly. 

And while I wouldn't want Madame Secretary to have continued with the main character as president, I liked it enough that I wish there could've been more episodes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Covert Affairs

Can't remember the name, but the show that had the Doc Martin actor as an undertaker who was married to a midwife. 

Both shows had the last few episodes shrinkwrapped to give some kind of ending, sadly. 

And while I wouldn't want Madame Secretary to have continued with the main character as president, I liked it enough that I wish there could've been more episodes.

William and Mary.  Such a sweet show.

• Like 2

Some people are naming shows that ended but wrapped things up with a finale (Grimm and Covert Affairs are among those we liked). While it disappoints me when a series ends I'm less upset if they actually end it. What I hate is a show that gets canceled between seasons and leaves you hanging, with no closure for the characters and/or story. Firefly tried to fix that with the movie Serenity but to me it was too late. I think even with the movie to wrap things up the abrupt end of the actual show still left us fans feeling lost. It's why we're still bitter all these years later. 😂

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, beezus said:

Home Fires.  It was a British series set in WWII.  The 2nd season ended in a cliffhanger when an airplane crashed into the village.  It would have been nice to know what happened to everyone by the end of the war.

Good to know. We have AcornTV as one of our streaming services and sometimes when browsing their offerings I think I might try Home Fires. Sounds like I should skip it.

1 hour ago, beezus said:

Home Fires.  It was a British series set in WWII.  The 2nd season ended in a cliffhanger when an airplane crashed into the village.  It would have been nice to know what happened to everyone by the end of the war.

I loved Home Fires and was sad that they didn't continue it.  Also, another British TV series I really liked was Frankie.  That ended with a lot of unresolved stuff.  

57 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I know it's been 15 years, but I'm still kinda mad about how they ended LOST with a Dallas-esque "oh it was all just a dream." That was the last series I watched before giving up TV and I'm still kinda bitter about it lol

I can't believe I forgot that one. Yes, that was awful. We usually like to rewatch after a few years, but I still have no desire to rewatch that one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

So does Agent Carter wrap it up nicely? I've been meaning to watch it, but I don't wanna, if it's going to end on a cliffhanger...

Yes, it ends the 2nd season very well and it even ties up some leftover issues from season 1.  I actually liked the final two episodes best.  However, there's a short final scene that shows the story should continue in a new season, which never happens.  Not a huge deal, but I was left wanting to know "whodunit."  If you don't want to see that part, just turn it off at the end of the scene in which they officially close the case.  It makes a nice ending.  

• Thanks 1