Menu

Anyone going to update their MMR?

Shellydon

I got mine in the late 70s or early 80s, but when my blood work came back during one of my pregnancies it showed that I wasn’t covered for rubella for some reason. Ob recommended I get the shot before my next pregnancy, so I did. 🙂. But I don’t know if that means the vaccine ‘wore off’ or just never ‘took’ to begin with. 🤷🏼‍♀️FWIW, I remember that vaccine really hurting too. I had to get another that day and it was no big deal, but that MMR hurt! 

I had it three years ago because my titers showed I wasn't immune to measles. I had to have a two shot series. I haven't been rechecked so I'm not sure I'm immune now or not.

That was the most painful shot I ever had. Until then the steroids given while I was pregnant were, but the MMR was much worse. 

• Like 1

I had blood drawn last year and as part of the panel my titers were checked because I work with children so much, and we travel regularly to a vulnerable country. My titers were still good. DH needed a two shot series because his immunity waned. We were totally unwilling to risk it. Neither of us want measles in our 50's!

• Like 1

No. Not only did I have the measles, but I am prolife so I will not being updating the MMR. They need to come out with a non-embryo derived version of this shot in this country, or at least approve one. The government (including the FDA) is more concerned with politics (supporting the big spenders in congress) than they are with doing what is right. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Janeway said:

No. Not only did I have the measles, but I am prolife so I will not being updating the MMR. They need to come out with a non-embryo derived version of this shot in this country, or at least approve one. The government (including the FDA) is more concerned with politics (supporting the big spenders in congress) than they are with doing what is right. 

Wait...I did not know this.

7 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Wait...I did not know this.

The stem cell line is from aborted fetuses from back in the 60's. They have not used any new fetal tissues in decades, and if they needed them, have indicated that they can simply get stem cells from donated chord blood which is really getting to be a big thing in researching, no need to take tissues. No new abortive tissues necessary. 

Here is one of many articles on it.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-vaccines-contain-aborted-fetal-tissue-260337

• Like 9

Yes, note the above article link contains a link to the Vatican's Pontifical Academy for Life 2005 statement stating that it's acceptable to use the vaccines. 

I'm going to have titers run.  I have likely been exposed based on times and places others with the virus recently have been *and* I take immunosuppressants.  Right now I'm having to change my daily life to avoid further exposure. It sucks. Completely.  

• Like 3

Went to Israel in December and alas measles is running through the Jewish world there (and here in the US), so I got my titers checked.  I figured they would be since I had gotten the MMR in 2001 after finding out I wasn't immune to rubella during that pregnancy.  I assume the kids were fine.  No one got measles. Though we got lice - again.

• Sad 1

My doctor hasn't recommended any boosters lately, and I see him twice a year.

With the exception of the smallpox and polio vaccines, I'm from the pre-vaccine age.The polio vaccine became a thing when I was a kid. We all got it in school. I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox as a child. I got the rubella vaccine in the 90s when we were trying to conceive and my test came back without immunity to that one. I had the Tdap a while back when my doctor recommended it. If the shingles vaccine was available I'd get it and will do so if the supply ever catches up with the demand. I get the flu vaccine annually. I could probably benefit from the pneumonia vaccine but Cigna doesn't think I'm old enough. Once I reach the age where they'll cover it (or whatever ins. company I have then) I'll get it.

So...not only was my child fully vaccinated, I myself made sure I'm fully vaccinated for anything to which I don't already show an immunity.

ETA: When I was teaching in the 90s there was a huge hepatitis B scare and many of us had to get the vaccine. Not all teachers were required to get it, but I was one who had to because 1. I taught developmentally disabled students and could sometimes come in contact with bodily fluids, and 2. I coached cheerleaders which could also sometimes put me in contact with blood. The risk was tiny but the scare was huge. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

Lady Florida, I've had the pneumonia vaccination and its 5 year follow-up booster.  I haven't gotten pneumonia or an ear infection since...it's been great. I previously was getting very, very sick twice a year and having to take some serious antibiotics to get over the infections.

I did have a pretty moderate local reaction to it--fever, swelling, and just kind of feeling bleh for a day or two.  I would not plan to do much for a day or two after the vaccine.  

Here's the stats on reactions, for others who are reading in:

https://www.rxlist.com/pneumovax-23-side-effects-drug-center.htm#consumer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

I got mine in the late 70s or early 80s, but when my blood work came back during one of my pregnancies it showed that I wasn’t covered for rubella for some reason. Ob recommended I get the shot before my next pregnancy, so I did. 🙂. But I don’t know if that means the vaccine ‘wore off’ or just never ‘took’ to begin with. 🤷🏼‍♀️FWIW, I remember that vaccine really hurting too. I had to get another that day and it was no big deal, but that MMR hurt! 

Same circumstance happened to me during pregnancy #2(titers showed no immunity). I forgot to get shot. Next 3 pregnancy titers never showed that result again. I never got vaccine. Sometimes titers are wrong.

3 hours ago, Janeway said:

Out of curiosity, are you then not vaccinated against Measles or Mumps? I looked in to the history, and only the Rubella vaccine was developed using embryonic cells. 

4 hours ago, Shellydon said:

I got my MMR in the late 70s. Wondering if I need to update it now.

Ask your primary care provider to run blood tests for your titer levels, this will tell you if you need boosters. I am in a position where I have to prove immunity through titers or a current vaccination record. I have no idea where my vaccination record would be, so I would have had to have the complete series of every vaccination. It was less expensive to get the titer blood test done so that I would only get what I needed. It proved especially true for me because I did not need any boosters. I will have a tetanus shot when I reach the ten year mark from my last one, as that is one that runs out. 

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

The last time I got a tetanus shot, they included a rubella booster—11 years ago.  Said it was routine.

Me too. Sometime within the last 10 years I got all my vaccines updated. It's probably not good that I can't remember when exactly just in case I need to tell someone in a hurry. Luckily the doctor's office knows.

I recently had titers drawn due to a new job requirement. I found I was no longer immune to mumps. I had measles as a baby and MMR vaccination,  but never had mumps. 

I got the 1st of the  MMR vaccination series before this outbreak and am getting my second shot this weekend.  The pharmacy is holding a dose for me, because it is getting hard to find in our area. I am in the epicenter of the outbreak. 

I work at a vaccinating pharmacy. We are telling typical adults who call that they don't need a booster, unless they get titers drawn and show lack of immunity. There are a few people who are choosing to get revaccinated for specific reasons, like those born/raised in other countries, or who suspect they are not fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

I've had titers tested before pregnancy for at least rubella, and was fine. I also am old enough to have had the two shot series, not just one shot like a lot of people older than me. I know because I had to look it up when I enrolled in college. Those without two had to get a booster. 

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

The stem cell line is from aborted fetuses from back in the 60's. They have not used any new fetal tissues in decades, and if they needed them, have indicated that they can simply get stem cells from donated chord blood which is really getting to be a big thing in researching, no need to take tissues. No new abortive tissues necessary. 

Here is one of many articles on it.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-vaccines-contain-aborted-fetal-tissue-260337

BUT, the fact that they use aborted fetuses and it is allowed is the reason they continue to purchase aborted fetuses to experiment on to develop more drugs and vaccinations and whatever else. And that line is going to run out. Either you are prolife, or you are not. You cannot be "prolife in some cases."

Edited by Janeway

1 hour ago, Ravin said:

Out of curiosity, are you then not vaccinated against Measles or Mumps? I looked in to the history, and only the Rubella vaccine was developed using embryonic cells. 

Oddly, my parents had me vaccinated anyway, even though I had the disease, after the vaccination came out. No clue why. I asked them why and they said everyone got vaccinated for it. Makes no sense to me.

Edited by Janeway

I was vaccinated against everything and a bag of chips when I joined the Navy. Six shots, three in each arm, right in a row, at boot camp in-processing. Later I got half the anthrax vaccine series.

I have in the past refused to get a routine booster I was told to get on the basis of "you can't show proof of immunization, so get this shot." I opted for titers instead.

We did some delayed vaccinations, and I need to check on exactly which Hep B vaccine DD got, or do titers for her at some point, because the school claims she needs a third shot but the CDC catch-up scheduler says that's not necessary if 2 doses of the adult formulation are given after age 11.  In the mean time, I filed an exemption form because it's free and titers aren't, and it takes less time than tracking down old medical records from doctors we no longer see.

12 minutes ago, Janeway said:

BUT, the fact that they use aborted fetuses and it is allowed is the reason they continue to purchase aborted fetuses to experiment on to develop more drugs and vaccinations and whatever else. And that line is going to run out. Either you are prolife, or you are not. You cannot be "prolife in some cases."

I am pro-life. First of all, I don't think what you've just stated is true.

Secondly, even if you think abortion is murder, I think a distinction can be made between the idea that these human beings were killed unethically, but they were not killed for the purpose of this research.  In other words, I would have no trouble accepting an organ donation from someone who had been murdered, but would never accept a donation from someone who had been killed for their organs. I think the embryos here fall in the first category and thus it is not an issue of being pro-life or not.

But, again, I don't think anyone is currently using foetal stem cells to develop vaccines and will use cord blod stem cells going forward anyway.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Whose life is being taken by me giving my child the MMR vaccine? The baby that was aborted has been dead for decades. No other babies were harmed for the vaccine I'm giving. 

• Like 3

I had to have a second shot when I went to college, so I should be good now. I had a rash with my first shot, and by the time I had my second, I had heard about vaccine injuries. I asked a lot of questions, lol!

And as other people have noted, it's not a fun one--it's a fairly thick liquid that stings, so you might be sore for a while. 

I don't need a booster but called today to schedule appointments for 7 of the kids (we delay vax). It was kind of funny because with each birth date the kids heard me tell the nurse they were cheering because it wasn't them...only one by one they heard their birth dates given, lol. Just line them up in a row and go down the line...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was vaccinated originally in the 70’s. My mom says I had rubella as an infant.  I had to get an MMR in my early 20’s when I worked for a hospital that had a measles outbreak because I wasn’t able to find my shot records. I had titers done before I was pregnant with ds and showed immunity to all three. 

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Whose life is being taken by me giving my child the MMR vaccine? The baby that was aborted has been dead for decades. No other babies were harmed for the vaccine I'm giving. 

Not to mention that endangering ones own child, and by extension any medically-vulnerable children around him or her, because a stem cell line from the sixties used fetal stem cells seems like the opposite of pro-life.

• Like 5

I Had measles mumps and rubella, was immunized against them afterwards  and tested each pregnancy. I was tested twice when pregnate with second child as Dh got Rubella. When I gave birth to third child I was tested again and it was found that I had run out of immunity for Rubella so had a booster shot.

4 hours ago, Janeway said:

Oddly, my parents had me vaccinated anyway, even though I had the disease, after the vaccination came out. No clue why. I asked them why and they said everyone got vaccinated for it. Makes no sense to me.

Probably so that you wouldn't also catch mumps or rubella, unless you were vaccinated prior to the seventies.

I had measles, mumps, rubella and chicken pox as a child so I am theoretically immune to all. I did have chicken pox a second time when I was 30 years old though. My eldest got measles one month before she was due to get her MMR but has subsequently received 3 MMR shots, (mostly because I didn't know any better at the time).

Yes, 10ish years ago when I was living in a border state.  We didn't vaccinate in the late 1990s because there just weren't any measles cases being passed around and there weren't people bringing them in from out of country, but we did keep a watch on those numbers.   Good thing, because I had an immunocompromised kid and didn't know it at the time.  However, once those numbers started going up and unfortunate souls from countries who had no access to the vaccines came flooding in out of desperation, I took my older kids in to get vaccinated. Youngest was vaccinated according to schedule as required by the adoption contract.  Ped couldn't do it because compromised daughter had a light nagging cough forever so he referred us to an immunologist. That's when we found out she was contra-indicated for all but one vaccine, and needed one people don't usually get until they're elderly. After her treatment and improvement she was given a customized catch up schedule by her immunologist which took a long time. 

I hadn't had one since the late 70s, so I got it at the same time she did.

20 hours ago, Mergath said:

I had all the vaxes in Army boot camp in '02. ('03? I can't remember. It was one of the two.) I don't know for sure what they gave me, but they stuck needles everywhere a person can have needles. 😂

When dsil went into the Air Force we went to see him at BMT graduation. During one part of the weekend the Air Force showed a slide show of the recruits as the got their gear, first days of life at BMT, and included some videos of them getting shots. Oh My! Some of those poor men and women. :0( The number of jabs and how they were administered was so painful looking. There were several with blood running down their arms. 

I've had MMR done at least 3 times -- I am assuming once or twice for school, once for the Army, and I had a booster in 2017 when my titers were checked and I was not immune to Measles and Mumps. I just had my titers done again for my nursing clinicals and I am still not immune to Measles, so I think I am just one of the 2-5% who can't develop immunity from the vax.

I've also had 3 varicella vaxes. I was not immune after 2, like I should have been, so I had the 3rd shot in 2017 when I boosted the MMR. I just had my titers run for clinicals yesterday, and am still waiting for that one to come back, but I am not optimistic that I will be immune to that one either.

Besides the obvious risk of working in a hospital, we have sooooo many unvaxed homeschoolers. I mean sooooooooo many. They all left public school after SB 277 and decided to join homeschool charters for the $$$$. Great.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:42 AM, Shellydon said:

I got my MMR in the late 70s. Wondering if I need to update it now.

You could check your immunity with titers.

Personally, I don’t plan to get either MMR or to check titers at this time.     I may have lifetime immunity from illnesses in case of measles and mumps and MV vaccination in case of rubella.  Or not.  

I have chronic health issues and don’t do well with either vaccinations or illnesses now.  We are a couple hours from Vancouver, WA outbreak.  I’ll try to be as careful as I can about sanitation —I am anyway but will be especially cautious during this time.   And even, yes, I’ll keep up my vitamins and minerals that can help with immunity and less severe illness.  Maybe.  

But, I dunno.  I lived in the Disneyland area in past which was also a place with lots of visitors and germ scares—I guess I just don’t feel a high anxiety level about this sort of thing. 

I have upcoming medical visits and procedures related to skin cancer — I’ll call and ask what their policy is right now for people in my category as to immunity from measles.  I don’t want to drive into city for appointment and find a sign telling me that people who have immune issues should leave.

When there isn’t a current outbreak and when it isn’t colds and flu season, maybe I’ll ask to have titers checked so I know for the future.

My son was vaccinated and is thus probably, though not definitely,  immune.  However, a large number of people in our area are not vaccinated, so he could easily encounter the virus if it gets to his school or activities.  And certainly medical facilities are likely places to encounter illnesses.  

No, I've got a baby and titers were checked while PG, so I'm good.  I had a booster after my first baby about 15 years ago.  I boostered my tdaP a few years ago, and had another one while PG to help give immunity to baby.   I was concerned about tetnus.

That said, I'm pretty sure I had pertussis as a teen in the 90s, before they required a booster.  The Dr's kept saying " it can't be Pertussis bc she's vaxxed"  but I'm sure it was.  I was very sick for about 3 months, coughed so hard I tore the lining in my lungs and couldn't even hold a glass of water.  My Dr's kept saying it must be allergies!  Then, about 3 years later, they started requiring a booster in middle school.  

I am stunned at how often people mention getting titers checked. This forum is literally the only place I've ever heard of such a thing at all. 

It also wouldn't surprise me that if they run them here, they just don't tell people. I suspect blood often gets drawn ("To see if you are anemic," etc.), but they do more with it than they tell patients. We have very paternalistic medicine in this part of the country, and lots of "I'll listen politely and do whatever I please" on the part of practitioners. Sad to say.