Menu

S/O -- What do you keep on your kitchen counter?

Junie

We have:

a microwave

an electric can opener/jar opener

a large fruit bowl

various salt and pepper shakers, olive oil, and honey

a knife caddy

a utensil crock

a crockpot

a bread basket

a Kitchenaid mixer

a large pasta bowl

a deep fryer

a very large plant

a telephone

various art projects

ETA:  I have way too many items on my counter.  Sigh.

paper towel holder

rack for dish towels

dish soap, scrubbie, etc.

Edited by Junie

Um, aside from the random pile of junk that always shows up on the corner of my peninsula?

A slow cooker, dish drying rack (near the sink), toaster oven, coffee maker, sugar and flour canisters. 

(I'd love a clean counter -- but I don't have a pantry or the cabinet space to store stuff!)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Microwave (basket of lids and oven mitts are on top of the microwave), coffee maker, stack of those brightly colored salsa bowls that the kids use for snacks and piles of Lego pieces.  I keep the silicone spoon rest thing on the stove otherwise I'll forget to use it.

We're ignoring the stuff on the rolling cart, island-ish thing against the wall, random table in the corner that I need to sand and stain before moving back downstairs, and the top of the fridge, right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We have a small counter next to the fridge which is just big enough for our microwave.

The "U" counter(s) around the stove, sink, and dishwasher hold the following when the kitchen is "everyday clean":

• Keurig;
  • 2 sugar bowls, butter dish, salt & pepper shakers;
  • Toaster;
  • Basket of dry snacks and bread (often overflowing onto the surrounding counter space);
  • Banana rack;
  • Dish drying rack;
  • Various water bottles lined up along the wall;
  • Land line phone;
  • Maybe a few miscellaneous decorative items / flower pot / fruits ....
  • Like 1

I have:

coffee maker

bread box that serves as the coffee/tea station (inside: herbal/hot teas, coffee filters; on top: chocolate milk mix, coffee creamer, honey)

2 Fiestaware canisters (one for brown sugar, one for white sugar)

Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker

Toaster

bread box that serves as a bread box (inside: assorted breads & bagels; on top: Nutella, peanut butter, Fiestaware butter dish)

turning the corner....olive oil & spice rack

(stove top)

spoon rests (Fiestaware)

menu board chalkboard

Fiestaware coffee pot (decorative)

cool wooden bowl where we dump keys, wallets, etc.

turning the corner again...pottery patchwork chicken bowl (for coins, business cards, junk)

(sink)

dish draining area/towel/thing

misc. dumping ground that isn't supposed to have anything but usually has papers, mail, etc. 

• Like 1

The only kitchen-related items on our kitchen counters are a toaster oven, a utensil crock, a paper towel holder, and a napkin holder.  Everything else on the countertops is decorative.  The crock pot, rice cooker, electric can opener, etc. are in the cabinets.

Oh, I guess our Keurig is out too, but it is in the butler's pantry which adjoins the kitchen, but isn't actually in the kitchen.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to keep the counters as clear as possible, but I recognize the efficiency in keeping things out that we use regularly. They are:

Toaster, coffee maker, toaster oven, butter crock, kitchen scale, dish drainer, knife block, small basket that holds rags (trying to cut down on paper towel use), paper towel holder and a decorative stand that holds some medications

• Like 3

Small appliances:

-coffee maker
-Kitchen-aid stand mixer
-toaster oven
-dh's Ninja blender
-Instant Pot

Miscellaneous:

-utensil crock
-dish drainer mat
-canola oil (olive oil stays in the pantry or dh and ds would be too free with it)
-spoon rest
-salt shaker and pepper grinder
-toothpick holder - dh loves his toothpicks
-small kitchen scale
-decorative mug that holds various pens, pencils, and a pair of all purpose scissors

We used to have a mail holder/organizer but it was the one thing that really got in my way so dh moved it near his computer (he does the bills, I do our taxes)

It sounds like a lot but I've managed to place everything in a way that still leaves me plenty of room to work.

ETA: Our microwave is the over-the-stove kind.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

TOO MUCH!? Currently, I have:

microwave, toaster, coffee pot, blender, can opener, knife block, paper towel holder

tea jar, small sugar container, large jars (canisters) of flour/sugar/rice/popcorn, utensil jar

also, daily dog medicine and treats

olive oil, S&P

fruit bowl

stuff that’s there that needs to not be right now:? basket of medicines, drying pots and pans, lunch bags, and water bottles 

• Like 1

From left to right, wrapping around my kitchen:
-wine rack
-coffee grinder
-coffee pot
-water bottles/coffee carafe for dh's work
-open square basket with olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper
-roll of paper towels
-crock with whisk, spatulas, mixing spoons, and potato masher

In the dining room I keep two baskets of fruit and one of roots (onions,ginger, shallots, and garlic)

• Like 1

On the desk area: library books, radio, nail polish rack filled with essential oils, my church bag, my knitting project bag, my purse, and a bunch of board games that the kids need to put away.

The perimeter counters: knife block, crock filled with cooking utensils, drying rack, blender, mortar & pestle, kuerig, bread machine, toaster, basket for bread, and oil diffuser.

Island: recipe binder, napkin holder, magazines, rice maker & crock pot (child needs to clean and put away), and onions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kitten18 said:

Coffee maker and a paper towel holder. All the appliances live in the pantry. 

This is not because I’m neat and tidy, it’s the opposite. If I have anything put on the counter it attracts more stuff and then I can’t keep it under control. 

The boldest is absolutely true in my house.

• Like 1

By the sink: dish soap, hand soap, a plant, a dishcloth and a scrubby.

By the stove: crock of utensils, such as ladle and spatula.

Microwave (also serves as clock/timer) and electric kettle

Little counter by the door: cat food

Island: drying dishes; basket I use for sweet potatoes or other do-not-refrigerate produce.

The Crock-pots, toaster oven, etc., are in cabinets.

• Like 1

The only items that I leave on my counter intentionally are a water distiller and water dispenser.

Everything else is supposed to be put away after use.

Doesn't mean that actually happens. 

My microwave lives on a separate microwave cart in the dining area because I wanted it off my counter.

Toaster, blenders, instant pot--appliances that I use regularly--have cupboard homes.

I don't have a stand mixer, food processor, coffee pot, etc.

Oh, the counter next to my sink hosts a small countertop dishwasher as adjunct to the regular under counter dishwasher because my family produces a gazillion dirty dishes and I only want to worry about washing dishes once a day.

• Like 1

If my kitchen were totally clean, I would have:

a recipe book on its stand

a kitchen utensil vase

a metal fruit basket that usually just holds our bread (we have another fruit basket on the kitchen table that actually holds fruit)

a wicker basket with our rags/unpaper towels.

We have a really small counter. Think small, but not tiny, apartment kitchen.

But currently, we have, in addition to the above mentioned things:

some serving dishes that didn't get put away yet

spices that really should have just been put back in the cupboard after being used

A towel with a few air-drying dishes on it

Instant pot

a roll of packaging tape

a box of cherry tomatoes

a box of crackers

some water bottles, that, you guessed it! didn't get put away yet.

a silicone pot holder.

We wont even talk about what is currently on the kitchen table. I need to go clean up now. Thanks?

• Like 3

Assuming my kitchen is clean and random kid crap is put away.

Right of Sink:
Electric kettle and rack of tea cups
Hand soap
Napkin Holder full of napkins
(This area is where food prep is mostly done and where handwash dishes air dry)

Left of Sink
Paper Towel holder
Glass Cannister of grits
Glass Cannister of oats
Iced Tea Maker/pot
Toaster

Right of Stove:
Bread Bowl
Utensil Jar (spatulas, wooden spoons, etc.)
Sugar Bowl
Sugar Spoons
Salt/Pepper
Cooking Spray

Left of Stove:
Keurig
Basket of K-Cups

There's another counter but it isn't really used for kitchen stuff  - it has phone chargers and art supplies and misc small items that live there.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

Microwave, 

Egg cooker,

waffle/toasted sandwich maker

Random selection of jars/bottles and junk

At least one box of eggs most of the time. 

Kettle 

Tea caddy,

Pot with teaspoons.

Toaster

Blender.

Food waste caddy for our council collection. 

Various cleaning products.

Our kitchen is small so there's no other space for a lot of this stuff even if I wanted it to be somewhere else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I'd prefer to keep the counters as clear as possible, but I recognize the efficiency in keeping things out that we use regularly. They are:

Toaster, coffee maker, toaster oven, butter crock, kitchen scale, dish drainer, knife block, small basket that holds rags (trying to cut down on paper towel use), paper towel holder and a decorative stand that holds some medications

ITA, I hate stuff on the counter but I hate having to drag things out all the time.

Currently on my counters:

Instant Pot, Toaster, blender, and microwave

I have 2 small open cabinets on the side of the stove that hold large utensils, tea kettle often used spices/s&p/honey.

The kitchen table has a fruit bowl.

• Like 2

Two dish drainers (our dishwasher broke a few years ago and we've not gotten around to replacing it because my husband actually enjoys handwashing dishes---most of the time! ? ), toaster oven, bowl of apples, crock with large kitchen tools like spatulas/ladles, salt and pepper shakers, spoon rest, dish soap, paper towel holder, and a small dish for the scrubby. We have a separate cart that holds the instant pot, slow cooker, and lids for several pots. I've managed to get the spice rack and the knives off the counter, but the kitchen is small to medium-sized and storage is not optimal. The microwave is one of those combos with the range hood, so mounted under the cabinet.

Now, that's what's supposed to be there. What actually also ends up there too frequently--mail, spices that haven't been put back in the spice drawer, small things on their way to the garage, things that do have cupboard homes like the blender or the cooling racks.

Edited by KarenNC

On our main counter, we keep the toaster, a basket for bread, and anything coffee-related.  ?  Also, canisters for flour and sugar, which I probably could move since we rarely use sugar anymore and I don't bake much either!  We often have miscellaneous fruit sitting on the counter.

For the "mini" counter next to our stove, I keep a little table-top shelf with our vitamins, and olive oil, salt and pepper for cooking.

We don't have a lot of counter space.

• Like 1

Coffee pot

Tiered basket with tea and coffee things. Charging phones are also kept here.

Paper towel holder

Dish soap and hand sanitizer

Sometimes a bowl of fruit or other produce

Everything but the fruit bowl is in the same area. My kitchen is on the small side and I'd lose all my counter space very quickly if I didn't stay on top of things and keep it clear. Plus if I have a lot of stuff out, my family seems to consider it license to just leave their stuff out too.

A couple months ago, in an irate mood after cleaning the kitchen, I briefly considered starting a thread here called PSA: The Fruit Bowl is for Fruit. Not Your School Papers, Receipts, Tools, Leftover Hardware, Broken Doohickies, Trinkets, Really Cool Rocks, or Anything Else. Just. Fruit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m my perfect world there would be nothing on the counter. But, alas, nothing is perfect. 

I have: 

Keurig

K cup holder

3 canisters for cooking utensils (we don’t have any good drawers in our kitchen)

Paper towel holder

napkin holder

Seal a meal

dish soap

cookie jar

cake dome (because we have no cabinet space for it)

kitchen aid mixer

toaster

caddy for pens, stamps & notepads 

instant pot (again, no cabinet space) 

three large cookbooks 

It all drives me crazy.

ETA: charging phones are there overnight, cords are there all.the.time.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

I don't mind the KA. . . .

dh. . keeps adding stuff. . . ?

we have . . . a toaster oven, a toaster, a KNIFE BLOCK!!!! (we have a DRAWER with inserts for knives. those are full of knives too.) - and a enormous cutting board that doesn't really fit anywhere else.

a banana hanger fruit basket

a pepper mill

a sea salt mill

TWO sets of salt and pepper. . . .

then there's a crock with a bunch pancake turners (becasue the drawer is already full of them)

another crock with whisks and spatulas in various sizes . . . .

and I have a microwave spatter shield that he insists on leaving on the counter, even though it would be fine IN or ON the microwave

that's about 22' of counter space.  

I have one thing . . .

a tv in a corner that is only hooked up to wifi so no cable/satellite.

• Like 1

1. Appliances: coffee maker, electric kettle, toaster oven

2. Kitchen-y stuff: Sonos speaker, cookie jar, oil bottle, jar of wooden spoons/spatulae

3. Clutter: car keys, wallets, coffee cup in use, unsorted mail, bike pump, change jar

4. Other: (1) small statue of Socrates (patron saint of homeschool) gazing down upon dining table as if to say, "Know Thyself. Or at least know thy Greek declensions." (2) Mexican folk art ceramic statue of garishly painted mermaid on garish fish on garish lizard on garish tortoise, which distracts the eye from the dirt.

Edited by Violet Crown
forgot the garish fish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On the island: hopefully nothing, usually accumulates random crap during the day/week - currently a half full box of cheerios, a lunch box, seal from a BBQ bottle that didn't get thrown away.

Tiny sliver of a counter between stove and back door: toaster, salt/pepper, PAM. Also currently an egg carton since I'm going to make hard boiled eggs today.

Corner counter between stove and sink: dirty dishes, dish soap, crockpot, Instant Pot, a box of sleepytime tea, a container of Metamucil.

Small counter between sink and fridge: clean dishes, DH's iced tea maker (that just has not made its way back to the cabinet).

• Like 1

Kettle, Tassimo, box of wine, weekly schedule 

utensil spinny thing, butter dish, salt/pepper grinder

food saver, aerogarden, hand soap

water filter jug

island: fruit bowl

At the moment there are various bowls containing garden produce. They are driving me crazy. Also, my instant pots and toaster are out, and have to go back to their homes.

Keurig which sits atop a pod holder drawer thingie
Paper towel holder and hand soap
fruit bowl

Funny that you posted this today.  We stayed at a friend’s place recently, and she had more on her counters.  Not a lot, but it made me feel like mine might be TOO sparse/sterile.  I am thinking of adding a kitchen “vignette.”  Perhaps a tray with some decorative items on it that I can change seasonally???  My issue with stuff on the counters is that I don’t want to have to move things to clean the counters. But, if everything were on a tray, then I would only have to move the tray.  

I am pretty much into minimalism lately, but I do want our space to feel homey.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoggirl said:

Funny that you posted this today.  We stayed at a friend’s place recently, and she had more on her counters.  Not a lot, but it made me feel like mine might be TOO sparse/sterile.  I am thinking of adding a kitchen “vignette.”  Perhaps a tray with some decorative items on it that I can change seasonally???  

You have space for decorative items on your counter top?

I need all the available space to make food. Or to serve food when I host (counter is usually insufficient space). No way could I keep stuff that has no practical purpose.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

For compost? A plastic box with lid that held cream puffs. They are a renewable resource at our house, so I can replace it when it gets too discolored from coffee grounds/ tea leaves.

Hmm, I need something bigger. I’m using a small trash can currently but it looks odd on top of my counter ❤️

TINY, galley kitchen here! Forces me to be a minimalist. 

On my sink side counter: (about 30" x 20") toaster oven, Kitchen Aid stand mixer, bread and cutting boards, compost bin right next to the sink.

On the stove side (10"x20") pretty pitcher with cooking untensils, salt cellar.

• Like 1

Right this minute, way too much in too little space. 

In my new kitchen, it’ll be coffee maker, dish drainer/mat, probably scrubbies, toaster oven, stand mixer, probably salt/pepper, utensil crock, bowl of onions/garlic, and a couple of instant pots. Maybe the food processor and maybe a board for hot stuff right out of the oven. And hopefully NOTHING else. I want my counter space as clear as possible.

Since the kitchen and dining area are one big room, we will finish the dining side next. It’ll have a bank of cabinets to use as storage/buffet, and I’ll probably keep stuff like the bread machine over there. 

• Like 2