Menu

What did you do while the site was down?

hjffkj

So i almost bought a house. Wasn't even looking for one. I just happened upon it and it fit our needs and my parents needs so i showed it to them as a house to purchase together. I never thought my dad would be on board but he liked the idea right away and told me to make an offer. Sadly, the bank wanted a cash offer only so we didn't get the house.

But now we are packing up to move in with my parents while we fix up our house and sell it. So much is happening so fast and i blame the forums being down, ha.

So what did you do?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I had the joy of a crashed hard drive on Thursday morning. Ordered a new laptop, which I hope will arrive today, but I'm not sure because Dell is sending me conflicting messages.

Anyway, it means I haven't done quite as much school as I'd planned over the last few days, since much of my curriculum is on the crashed hard drive. Hoping we (read: DH) can retrieve it once the new laptop arrives. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Most of dh's relatives decided (for no apparent reason) they're attending dd's college graduation.  It's two states away, so this gathering has potential to become a total circus as everyone figures out how they're handling travel plans (not to mention that this crowd is sort of a traveling circus regarding any get-together).  So, lots of discussions about THAT. 

Currently harboring desire for dd2 to choose a college really far away just to mess with any future plans to crash her graduation.

Oh!  And watched Jesus Christ Superstar Live with younger dd, who had never seen the show before!  Relived my youth AND got to swoon over Norm Lewis and Brandon Dixon all in one event!  Woohoo!

• Like 3

I did not clean the house. I internally bragged on my oldest DD (when I find my old thread to update on the college board, I'll post it on there). I did not work on editing my DD#2's book(s). I thought up about 15 things I wanted to post (most of which I've forgotten). The water pump went out on DH's car (my original car from college), so he's driving DD#1's car. (The one I thought it would be good to have around for when his car bit the dust. My idea was that he could use DD's car until we picked out a replacement, not until he fixed it. Arg!)

I missed this place somethin' fierce.

• Like 3

The boys were home for Easter break most of the time (youngest DS is still here), so I spent some time with them and did a LOT of cooking. And started reading  A Game of Thrones. Fantasy isn't a genre I normally enjoy, but OMG I am so hooked already!

• Like 2

Easter.  It was a bit crazy.  I had to prepare for children's stations of the cross on Friday which meant getting 20 tokens ready for kids to collect at each station.  I had to run egg dying on Saturday.  And the Easter program on Sunday.  Plus two Easter dinners.  And run dd around to choir stuff, though she didn't do the very late services.

I also decided to pop down to the pub on the corner to see my uncle play, as I knew je said it had been a tough crowd there before.  It was fun, I'd never been there though it is walking distance from my house, and I liked it - it's tiny, super working class but mixed racially which is different than the places he usually plays in which are often hipster havens. And the crowd seemed more appreciative - possibly in part because a famous local singer, a slightly older guy (maybe about 68, 69?), showed up to have a drink and he sang a few songs with them.  I hadn't seen him in a long time so I really enjoyed it.

The only downside was, I had three beer and the most horrific headache afterwards, which I do not understand - maybe this is what I get for being abstentions during Lent.

• Like 4

Started to plan a wedding!  DD19 and her boyfriend decided to move up their wedding.  They were loosely planning a year from now and decided to change that to 6-8 weeks.  The date is pending due to logistics but is coming quick. We will have a date by the end of the week.  Rings are bought and are off to get sized, but official proposal hasn't happened yet until they arrive.  Cake is picked out and ready to order. Venue, photographer, linens, serveware, floral, menu are set. Dress shopping is this week and hopefully invitations, then the final details of bridal party and miscellaneous bits and pieces.  Ds23 is officiating so we need to figure out the legal steps for that too. He is an ordained pastor but has never married a couple before. 

Whirlwind of two weeks, but fun too.

• Like 7

I read 4 books (two were super short)!  We also redid the kids’ closets. I was really productive for the first time in a month, partly because of the forums being down and partly because I’m farther along in the grieving process. 

• Like 3

I thought the entire "world wide internet computer web" (as Adrian Monk called it) was down!

DH needed me to look something up - not merely ask The Hive for advice - and I started to do it, then stopped, thinking I couldn't get any internet, and then quickly realized it was just the forums that were down, not the entire internet. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

I became a farmer!!!

OK, I just prepped a few garden beds, but 3 days in the sunshine was glorious. I removed some trees so I’m going to try gardening with actual sunlight. This should be interesting. 

The weather is back to cold and gloomy now and I am displeased. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I did not clean the house. I internally bragged on my oldest DD (when I find my old thread to update on the college board, I'll post it on there). I did not work on editing my DD#2's book(s). I thought up about 15 things I wanted to post (most of which I've forgotten). The water pump went out on DH's car (my original car from college), so he's driving DD#1's car. (The one I thought it would be good to have around for when his car bit the dust. My idea was that he could use DD's car until we picked out a replacement, not until he fixed it. Arg!)

I missed this place somethin' fierce.

Sorry about the car issues. I missed this place too. I found myself with so many questions that only the Hive could answer so I was left floundering. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Any in particular that you recommend?

I enjoyed (again) Andrew Kern on mimetic teaching and the one on assessment.  I enjoyed both of Angelina Stanford's in the free section, though I think she's better on straight-up literature topics or in a format with interaction.

Angelina on the Canterbury Tales

Jenny Rallens "I Learned to teach in Narnia"

Adam Andrews "Inconsolable Secrets" 

Chris Perin on Schole. 

I also got caught up on Close Reads and listend to SWB with Andrew Kern again on Forma. I think they talk past each other sometimes. I found Andrew Kern's interviews with his daughter who teaches classically in Uganda to be thought provoking. The main question was "Is a classical/Great Books curriculum too Western to be useful or appropriate in Africa?"

• Like 2

• Took the kids to try out a Ninja class & a new piano teacher.
  • Helped my elderly friend and my parents with their tax returns.
  • Got the kids to finish some scout badge work.
  • Went through my kids' shoes to figure out what still fit - set aside a bag full of hand-me-down shoes.
  • Some shopping and packing for my kids' class trip ("environmental camp" which was last week).
  • Spent several days alone with my thoughts, my work, and my WTM-free internet ... no kids even ... checked the class facebook page a lot though, as the chaperones were posting photos all week.
  • Ate what *I* wanted for several days.  :P
  • Met a bunch of work deadlines.
  • Laundry, housework, pet care.
  • Cleaned out several drawers and similar junk collection spaces.
  • Arranged kid activities for Spring Break (which is this week).
  • Sold a saddle from my folks' closed tack shop.
  • Nursed a sick kid.
  • Did the usual Easter stuff for my kids.
  • Attended Palm Sunday and Easter church services.
  • Visited my folks.
  • Got some fixit projects done.
  • Finally made a long-overdue Amazon order.
  • Am partway through a kids-clean-up-their-rooms program (hoping this gets done over break).
  • Whatever I'm forgetting.
  • Like 7

I experienced an actual Meat Truck sighting!  DH was in the driveway doing something with his car, and I saw the meat truck come around the corner... Guy slowed down, rolled down his window and started shouting at DH about meat.

All I could think about was how exciting a Meat Truck Sighting was, and I couldn't share it with anyone who would appreciate it.

Btw, DH sent the meat truck away without purchasing anything.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

So, so, so much homework.

Started taxes, did not finish.

Had an incredibly sick child (he's better now)

Easter (one of the best Easters ever. So much fun.)

Three significant tests.

Got my first Stitch Fix delivery (kept a killer dress that I wore on Easter)

HOMEWORK (more of which I should be doing right now...)

• Like 3

I was fairly productive! 

• taxes are done
  • DS's end of year portfolio is complete and submitted
  • lots of work got done
  • I commiserated with others while checking the WTM facebook group multiple times a day 
  • watched most of our snow in VT melt, yay!
  • Like 2

Went to France. :) It was definitely good for keeping myself entertained without the boards. But I had a very crucial shoe choice dilemma which I had to solve on my own. It was almost a crisis. 

ETA: I mostly just want to see if adding the photos works. But these were the shoe choices, though it is moot now. Ignore the ugly toenails; I have rectified that as best I can without a magic wand. 

4F63E8C7-F75D-45A1-BE83-CDF95192B495.jpeg

68275FC8-7F16-4DAC-88AE-916A5FDB089D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Ripped out carpet.  Yard drainage issue turned into a basement splash pad.  Oh well, it needed to be done soon anyway.  And it meant when the kitchen sink valve broke and water started pouring out when the new dishwasher was being installed, a bit of water downstairs was no big deal.

I also organized my school shelves.  Twice.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RegGuheert said:

The site was down?  Who knew? ;)

Okay, so apparently Reg was on some super secret other timeline Hive. . .

I watched a bunch more ER, cleaned some stuff, started planning next year’s work, spent a lot of time helping out on my Preeclampsia support forum, thought about knitting on my brain-breaking cardigan but didn’t actually do it because it’s easier to waste time on my phone, started Jim Trelease’s Read Aloud Handbook, finished a math book with one kiddo, watched three kiddos get new karate belts, and went to a delicious new restaurant with friends. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I found out that the rest of the internet is pretty boring compared to the Hive. 

I spent a lot of time looking at food on instagram and bookmarking recipes I want to try.

We got our new wood floors almost completely installed and had our brick fireplace redone in limestone.

I texted with some friends from the Tackle thread, which was fun.

Oh, and I got a pair of the often-recommended Starfish pants. I haven't worn them yet, other than trying them on, but I think I like them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

Ripped out carpet.  Yard drainage issue turned into a basement splash pad.  Oh well, it needed to be done soon anyway.  And it meant when the kitchen sink valve broke and water started pouring out when the new dishwasher was being installed, a bit of water downstairs was no big deal.

I also organized my school shelves.  Twice.

I'll be ripping out carpet soon. Not looking forward to that

• Like 1

I didn't do much that I wouldn't have done anyway.  My online time was spent differently.

• Finished two books, started several more, made progress with the others I was already reading.
  • Went through a bunch of old family photos, many black and white. I got rid of some, scanned others in.
  • Clicked on the WTM tab on my bookmarks bar multiple times every day lol.
  • Spent my online time going through a course on my photo editing software (Affinity Photo - thanks to Bill aka Spycar). When I finish the course I hope to be able to restore at least some of the above mentioned photos.

That's all really. I didn't do a lot that I wouldn't have done anyway. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I didn't do much that I wouldn't have done anyway.  My online time was spent differently.

• Finished two books, started several more, made progress with the others I was already reading.
  • Went through a bunch of old family photos, many black and white. I got rid of some, scanned others in.
  • Clicked on the WTM tab on my bookmarks bar multiple times every day lol.
  • Spent my online time going through a course on my photo editing software (Affinity Photo - thanks to Bill aka Spycar). When I finish the course I hope to be able to restore at least some of the above mentioned photos.

That's all really. I didn't do a lot that I wouldn't have done anyway. 

I saw you in the Instant Pot Facebook group. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2