Menu

What did you do while the site was down?

hjffkj

Curled up in a corner with my blanket, trembling, checking every few minutes for action. 

Went to a wedding, had a family reunion, took guests to the big city for horse activities, went to the airport twice in one day, worked, watched some of General Conference, took walks. Thought about working on my family history, the thought process really is important on this, I have to work myself up to it because once I get started on it for one sitting I'm usually working on it for at least 2 hours.

• Like 3

I decided to quit my job and redid my resume and started to apply for new jobs. 

My resume shows that I do this every two or three years in spring, except for when I had my own company. :\

What this shows it that I need a leadership position, but also a way better salary because I didn't quit my own job until we completely were at poverty-level salaries. :p

• Like 5

I visited my in-laws whose views on politics and homeschooling and parenting and just about everything are 180 degrees from mine and I barely remembered to pass the bean dip.

I sang in a choir that I have never sang with before in a church I don't attend and without thinking I made an inappropriate comment/ joke.  Not offensive (i don't think,) just inappropriate. I couldn't go on here and ask if I was being offensive.

Found out Dh's company is being sold to the competitor so we will find out at the end of April if we have to move and I came here about a dozen times to ask about homeschooling in the different places that we might consider.

Helped Dh take apart the backyard climber that never gets used, so we can relocate the trampoline which gets used daily, to make room for the tiny house we are building for dd20 who, due to health reasons, will be living with us for the foreseeable future but also needs some space & autonomy.  

I managed to narrowly avoid a panic attack when I was contacted by the testing center who let me know that the standardized test ds13 will be taking next month is all on the computer and if his keyboarding skills are not up to the task he will struggle. Guys!  I had to choose a typing program without you!  It was horrible.  I haven't chosen curriculum without at least doing a search on the boards first in years!

1/2 way through planning for next year's science (Bio) dd15 decided she wants to do an integrated science class instead (1/2 Chem & 1/2 Physics) so I started working on that as well.

Dd 15 was cyberbullied by an adult from church for her political beliefs and I discovered that I have no high road and there is not enough bean dip to go around when it comes to my kids.  One of my friends said, "Remind me never to make you mad.  You might skewer me and eat my heart."  Ouch.  I thought about coming here & letting you guys review my reply....

In short - I survived, and am so glad to be back :)

Amber in SJ

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Amber in SJ said:

Dd 15 was cyberbullied by an adult from church for her political beliefs and I discovered that I have no high road and there is not enough bean dip to go around when it comes to my kids.  One of my friends said, "Remind me never to make you mad.  You might skewer me and eat my heart."  Ouch.  I thought about coming here & letting you guys review my reply....

I think it's fine.

• Like 5

Besides usual house cleaning finished 5 loads of laundry. :)  Managed to declutter one closet.  Did not finish the taxes.  Had $600 left in our charter school account to spend on curriculum so happily shopped and found loads of neat books and chemistry lab equipment for James.  Still have $200 left which our advisor said I have to spend by Friday.  Gleeful hand rubbing.  

I read quite a bit. Spent way too much time watching facebook videos - discovered The Dodo and Musical Theatre moments, and lots of Big Bang Theory vignettes.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, purpleowl said:

I had the joy of a crashed hard drive on Thursday morning. Ordered a new laptop, which I hope will arrive today, but I'm not sure because Dell is sending me conflicting messages.

Anyway, it means I haven't done quite as much school as I'd planned over the last few days, since much of my curriculum is on the crashed hard drive. Hoping we (read: DH) can retrieve it once the new laptop arrives. 

My new laptop did come yesterday! Still getting everything set up, but I was able to retrieve all the files I needed from my old hard drive. Whew!

• Like 1

The first two days were crazy busy at work, so the down-time in the evening was good.

Weekend was Easter and we stayed busy with family stuff, kids going all over the place (my 8th grader is VERY social and his Spring Break started and holy cow, he has been home ONE night so far!)

I got a couple of sewing projects done.

I helped my middle son with some college stuff.

I went on a lunch date with my husband and went shopping for a while (we haven't done that in a long time!)

What I should have done, but didn't:

1. Update my resume

2. Cleaned more

On 4/3/2018 at 8:43 AM, Pawz4me said:

The boys were home for Easter break most of the time (youngest DS is still here), so I spent some time with them and did a LOT of cooking. And started reading  A Game of Thrones. Fantasy isn't a genre I normally enjoy, but OMG I am so hooked already!

The books are so much better than the tv show (IMO).  But they’re just as violent. I found I needed a little break between reading each book from all the violence.  And you know the last 2 aren’t written yet?  And the author is getting older and older?!  I hope he finishes the story before it’s too late!

I didn’t cry while the hive was down, but did get a little teary when it came back up but I couldn’t get on.  So frustrating.  But it’s all better now!

Otherwise, I kept clicking on my browser and realizing that there was nothing to see.  I don’t go to any other websites unless I’m looking up something specific.  I hung out on FB a lot getting angry at all the political posts there (from both sides—the logical fallacies nowadays are enough to drive a woman mad).  I watched way too many animal videos on youtube (from FB.). 

Oh, last weekend, I went to the Doctor Who convention.  I love that thing.  There are a lot of people on the spectrum that go to these things.  It’s pretty obvious and there’s nothing wrong with that.  In fact, the people who run this convention (regeneration who), know that and have decided to make this convention all about kindness and acceptance.  There are big signs posted about how no negative comments are allowed about people’s costumes and things like that.  Everyone who works/volunteers at the convention seems to have strict instructions to be the Kindest People Ever.  To everyone.  They assume that everyone needs to be treated gently and with love, even if they’re not on the spectrum.  So, even though I’m not on the spectrum, everyone I would run into would treat me gently and listen intently to what I was saying and respond with kindness.  I just love going to this thing.  I’ve never been around so many people who treat each other so nicely.  And it bleeds over to the people like me who are attending the convention.  People just randomly start conversations with each other and are super nice.  I’m sure that if it lasted longer than 3 days, people would start getting back to “normal”, but for those 3 days each year, everyone is loving to each other.  It’s really rather remarkable.  Maybe I’ll start a thread about it when I have some time.

• Like 5

I pretty much finished up my school shopping next year. Somehow I managed without being able to triple check reviews and recommendations on WTM!

I finally came to peace with ds going to PS next year.

Took ds to Ready Player One.

Watched too much Netflix, I binged Santa Clarita Diet and the girls and I watched the new season of Lemony Snicket.

Got some yard work done.

• Like 1

Had my oldest daughter's wedding, moved her cat to my brother's (new husband is allergic), went through all the boxes packed up for reception decor, babysat my granddaughter for 3 days (boy are 9 month olds busy!), went to my youngest NHS ceremony for her to receive her honor cords, helped my mom with her taxes. Not sure what else.

• Like 2

We moved.   The first few days I cleaned, took a carload to Goodwill, and sorted out and packed the items we were transporting.  Movers packed and hauled the rest.  I then cleaned again and began the drive to our new house.  The next day I drove some more.  I spent Easter weekend camping in our new house and painting bedrooms and the living room.  Monday I did laundry and some cleaning.  The movers brought our household items yesterday.  I am in the midst of unpacking.  

The new house is about 1/3 smaller than our previous house.  I decluttered in the months prior to moving, but obviously didn't declutter enough.  I also, perhaps foolishly, decided that painting was more important than cleaning cabinets and now have nowhere to put kitchen items.  

• Like 1

I ate a lot.  Especially on Easter weekend.  

The rest of the Internet is not nearly as fun as the Hive.  I spent too much time on Facebook, and now I feel less intelligent than before.  

Rethinking School came in to my library on hold for me.  I’ve had it almost a week and read maybe 4 chapters.  I’m enjoying it so far, but I’m limited in my reading time right now.  

My baby turned 2 months old last week.  How the heck did that happen so fast!?! 

• Like 1

Ah, ok, now that I am finished catching up on what everyone else did during Boardpocalypse ( dh's name for the blackout-ha!)...

I scrubbed the woodwork/ trim inside, and am now ready to touch up the paint. I cleaned our house's vinyl siding, and have decided that blue-grey siding must look like big ol' bullseye targets to the birds! Dh, dd, and I painted our garden shed “tardis blue,” and dd is trying to decide if she can do a freehand painting of the exploding tardis on one side. And I took my car in for an oil change. So I suppose it was a pretty productive week, but man! I sure missed you guys!

• Like 2

On 4/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, peacelovehomeschooling said:

What a beautiful cake!  You did an awesome job.  It looks delicious too.

Thank you. My husband and I enjoyed it, my father and my son and the teen cousin said they liked it. My littles hated it, and my aunt and uncle didn't try it. They didn't eat any of the food offered to them for the most part (and no, don't have food issues...they talked all about all the other junk they eat, but refused most food served them). 

• Like 1

Well I fell behind on replying but I did read what everyone did.  I guess life did go on without the boards.  I am currently 2 days away from moving out of my house because the boards were down.  I can't imagine what will happen next time they go down.

• Like 2

The most important thing I did was to help my 14 year old decide what classes to take next year in public high school. She has three advanced academic subjects, freshman PE, marching band, and as extra electives she is hoping to get a trimester each of drawing and technical  theater. Also, I investigated possible careers for her given her current interests, and I think we may have hit the jackpot or close to it. I then spent way too much time on the Internet researching all about it. Having said that, I certainly missed the boards!

• Like 1

Well there was Easter, so that was nice!  Then my dh and I traveled to a faraway hospital for a routine checkup, only to be told that he needed a major surgery the next morning at 5am, in the middle of a blizzard, to boot!  I hadn't dragged any of my support people with me because it was supposed to just be a routine checkup, after all.  And no Hive to help me through the long hours either...  It all had a happy ending, fortunately! 

• Like 5