Menu

Things you bought due to the Hive's suggestion- not curriculum!

Peaceseeker

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on things you have bought or tried out due to the Hive. Not curriculum or things for homeschooling (because we literally have the entire forum for that!) but just random things you now know about due to this forum.

The most recent purchase for me came off of the nail thread. I purchased the Hard as Hoof nail cream someone recommended and my goodness this stuff WORKS! It's kind of scary how good it is as I have only been using it 3 days and I can tell a big difference already! My nails are much harder and stronger and I think I might already be addicted to the stuff.

Stitch Fix was another for me. I have considered an InstaPot but haven't gotten on board with the whole pressure cooking thing yet. What other fun things have I missed? Anyone want to share?

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 3

So many things - I definitely can't remember them all.

Speed Queen washing machine

Corelle pasta bowls

ETA:  many books  What is Mathematics was the most recent.

I'll have to come back to add more as I think of them.  I know there have been many!  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

We don't have much of a budget for gadgets but in my imaginary shopping spree I'm buying:

Speed queen washer

Kitchen Aid stand mixer

Dyson hair dryer

Anova sous vide cooker

Vita-mix blender

Insta-Pot

ETA: that high-end sewing machine brand that has a Germanic-sounding name

Edited by Crimson Wife
  • Like 6

The most recent purchase for me came off of the nail thread. I purchased the Hard as Hooves nail cream someone recommended and my goodness this stuff WORKS! It's kind of scary how good it is as I have only been using it 3 days and I can tell a big difference already! My nails are much harder and stronger and I think I might already be addicted to the stuff.

I missed that thread completely but I will have to took into this products.  My nails snag and rip on every little thing.  I actually ditched all the shaker tops on my spices because I was tired of the damage they did to my nails when I tried to remove them to get the measuring spoon in.  

Things I've bought: the Instant Pot and there is definitely no regrets about that purchase.  I know there have been others but my mind is a complete blank.  I'm sure I will come back and people will mention other things and then I'll be like oh, yeah I bought that too.

ETA Sure enough I knew there were others

Speed Queen

Bosch Dishwasher

some kind of pokey mat thing that you are suppose to lay on.  Can't remember what it is called but it didn't work so good for me.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

There have been so many. I've been hanging around awhile. Remember the Desk Apprentice?

Most recently I bought a Twist and Shout Mop. Very happy with it!

There have been so many. I'll be back to this thread as I remember them. LOL

Yes! I had one, too!  

I've bought so many things because of you guys!  And they've always been worth it/good buys!

Insta-Pot and my Speed Queen washer were the biggest ones, countless books, recipes, my baking sheets that I love. :)

eta - thought of another great thing - my pencil sharpener!  :001_wub: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GSHAAGM/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=BZwpY&pf_rd_r=3R1Q7PNVVSX9393D8CF8&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01GSHAAGM&pd_rd_w=CypVX&pf_rd_i=null&pd_rd_r=6decdd1f-48fe-4bb5-a9cf-6c982bc02963&ie=UTF8&qid=1515646714&sr=3

SaveSave

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 2

This week?  Hard as Hoof and Zoya Nail Polish 

I'm always buying things mentioned here or coming here to check opinions.  I actually think I'm a bit uncomfortable buying new products without checking the Hive first!!  Such a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

• Like 5

Oh goodness...there are just so many. 😳 I read so many threads about shopping (they’re my favorite!), then I go buy the stuff. 😆

Just off the top of my head:

Sleeveless tanks from Walmart (ktgrok?)

Freedom no-pull dog harnesses (hornblower)

Frixion erasable pens

Fiesta dishes (bethben?)

The Sweet Smell of Christmas book

Sum Swamp

One of those egg steamer things

Mozartkugeln chocolate

Keen sandals

Ebag

Travel cube things

And more...😂

ETA: And I’m about to buy a Snuggle Pedic pillow!

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 5

I missed that thread completely but I will have to took into this products. My nails snag and rip on every little thing. I actually ditched all the shaker tops on my spices because I was tired of the damage they did to my nails when I tried to remove them to get the measuring spoon in.

Things I've bought: the Instant Pot and there is definitely no regrets about that purchase. I know there have been others but my mind is a complete blank. I'm sure I will come back and people will mention other things and then I'll be like oh, yeah I bought that too.

I edited my post as the name is actually Hard as Hoof (not hooves). It takes only the smallest amount too- that little jar will last a long time. I can't wait to see what they look like in a month!

• Like 2

Ones I remember offhand:

Instant Pot(s) (one as a gift, one for me)

A hair clip that also functions as a screwdriver, file, and bottle opener -- from the Christmas gifts thread

Cerave face lotion

Also, not a purchase, but currently reading a library copy of The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window because of the recent thread.  I've discovered lots of leisure-reading books while reading the forums.

And have also used the wisdom of the Hive for travel advice; the pinnacle of this was when someone here found dd a place to stay for a week in NYC last summer.  

• Like 7

I can’t remember buying anything based on hive recommendations, but I’ve read a lot of books for fun based on hive recommendations.

However, I have added three things from posts above to my Gift List and I’ll probably get them for myself next Christmas.

• Like 3

I've bought

Instapot

Scotch Laminator

Laser printer (don't recall if I chose the brand based on recs from here or someone else)

Proclick

Frixion pens

Ticonderoga pencils

Miele canister vacuum

I believe you all sold me on my need to buy white Corelle dishes for guests

And there have been a few "almosts" in the shoe department

And I'm sure there are a few more that I'm forgetting

• Like 1

So, do you like them?

I absolutely love my weighted blankets!

I have a heavy (14 lbs, I think) one for my bed and a lighter (11 lbs, I think) for my recliner. I knew the second I got under the 1st one that it was a perfect fit, because my restless leg symptoms went completely away.

• Like 2

Travel cubes, fiesta ware and that menstrual underwear (can’t remember what it’s called)

DD16 swears by the underwear. She uses it when out hiking/camping and doesn’t want to wear a tampon “just in caseâ€. Super absorbent and no leaks even with high activity.

ETA - forgot the Wacom drawing tablet. Gets used almost every day here.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 1

There have been so many. I've been hanging around awhile. Remember the Desk Apprentice?

Most recently I bought a Twist and Shout Mop. Very happy with it!

There have been so many. I'll be back to this thread as I remember them. LOL

Yes! I have two Desk Apprentices that I should take to Goodwill.

Other:

Speed Queen, LOVE it

Brother laser printer, now on my 2nd one

Some kind of electric pencil sharpener, going strong after ten plus years

That binding thing everyone was buying, and, before that, a comb binder. Don't use either much.

• Like 1

My Tramontina pots and pans. They're the best pots and pans I've owned (other than my Le Crueset, which I had pre-Hive) and they were super affordable. I really think they're as good as the All Clad for a fraction of the price.

I’m in the market for pans. Do you have the stainless steel?

Instant Pot (gift for dh)

Staedtler pencils

Mirado Black Warrior pencils

laminator

proclick binder

many, many book recommendations

iPoint electric pencil sharpener

thinking putty

Costco food recommendations

Christmas gift idea board has accounted for about 75% of our gifts the past several years

Board games

I ordered a diffuser and essential oils today - I like pretty smells!

Here's another.  One of my dc gave me a diffuser and EO for Christmas.  Apparently, last summer there was a discussion here with a link, and I showed it to dc.  Even though I forgot about it, my dc remembered.  Now I get to enjoy the pretty smells, too.  Thanks, Hive!

• Like 2