Menu

Do your appliances match?

Elizabeth86

Im buying a dishwasher in the spring and as I was looking it occured to me none of my appliancrs match. My refrigerator is off white

range is white and black

microwave is black

This is how it was when we moved in and we are too pratical to replace functioning things. I guess I will choose a white dishwasher as that is my favorite chouce and what I would replace any broken appliances with.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

I just kept replacing broken appliances with the colors I liked. They mismatched when we moved out but honestly I don't care, it wasn't worth the money to fix prematurely. This is the real world, not Pinterest or Houzz ;)

Nope, but as one broke I replaced with the color I prefer. I am actually looking at dishwashers right now and after we purchase this all our appliances will match. Just in time to list the house for sale!! Matching appliances will not be on my list of must when we go house hunting

• Like 1

All were builder-grade white when we moved in. All except the built-in microwave had problems a few years back (fridge was over 20 years old as it was from our first house). We switched them out over the course of about 15 months and switched them all to stainless steel, but not the same brand. We did switch out the microwave to match the range even though it was still working because that was pretty cheap to do so.

ETA: I actually cleaned the appliances this morning with stainless steel wipes and realized 3 of the 4 are the same brand--Samsung--and have the same shape handles which is nice. But the dishwasher is a Bosch because that's what I wanted.

Edited by Ali in OR

Yes, but mine kind of all; went out at the same time!  It was actually fortunate because there was a deal on appliances at the time and if you bought 3 at once, you got 40% off the already 25% discounted price!

Fridge had so many issues, freezer stopped working, so we just used the deep freeze, then the ice maker stopped, finally it made weird noises.

Then the stove top stopped working and only the oven worked.  

Then we got a recall notice on the dishwasher because it caused potential FIRES!  They sent us $150 in a rebate for it.

So, we bought all our new ones at once.  

kinda of sort of.

We started with a white because anything else was cost prohibitive (we had a house built and we were moving from an apartment so we got to choose everything).  Then when it came time to replace we replaced with black (because I much prefer it to anything else) sine the price difference was minimal to non-exisistant.  But I wanted an induction stove and they don't come in black so it's stainless (but the glass is still black). But even my black appliances have little bits of silver toned trim. And my microwave is black and red because I like the pop of color.  Our sink is stainless steel so I feel like everything is tied together okay although the handles are different styles since everything is a different brand. But I think the idea that everything should match  just a marketing strategy because of course companies want you to buy everything from them.

• Like 1

No, our refrigerator broke about 6-9 months ago and couldn't be repaired, so instead of buying a new one we moved the garage fridge into the kitchen for the time being. 

However, our stove and dishwasher are not in the best condition either (down to only one burner on the stove) so we are hoping to buy a package deal and replace all of the appliances next month and yes, they will then match! We deliberately didn't buy a new refrigerator when the old one quit working because we wanted to wait until we could afford a whole new set of appliances, and ultimately I expect we'll save quite a bit of money buying them all together rather than one at a time. There always seem to be package deals on entire sets. 

Edited by Wabi Sabi

Kinda sorta.

The range and microwave (here when we bought the house) are stainless steel trimmed in black. The toaster is the same -- SS trimmed in black. Our dishwasher and refrigerator are black. So everything is either SS trimmed in black or solid black. I'd eventually like to be rid of all the SS.

Yes they do. I never thought about it, but they all match in colour, which is about the only way they match

I think of them as not matching since:

- one is broken (dishwasher) and has never worked in the almost 10 years we lived in the house

- one is noisy (the fridge) and uses electricity

- one is quiet (the oven) and uses gas

Ours have cabinet fronts. But when the appliances die, I'll get stainless. I'll never get white again--the different plastics on the same appliance turn yellow at different rates and the painted parts stay white and I am annoyed. I wouldn't mind a black oven or stove top or dishwasher but a black fridge is too Darth-like.

No. They go together in a complementary way, but they do not match though my kitchen was custom built. My dw is stainless, ovens are stainless, fridge is black, microwave is stainless and black, cooktop is black ceramic. I do not like a stainless fridge.

ETA: they are not the same brands, either. It never ocurred to me that some people might have all one brand. Seems odd to me. My cooktop is Jenn Air. My ovens and DW are Bosch. Micro is GE. Fridge is...what is the fridge? Whirlpool. Interesting, since I claim to hate Whirlpool.

Edited by Quill

Nope. Refrigerator is from Clinton's first term. It is Almond. Stove is white and black. Dishwasher we got, it is stainless. Downstairs we have the washer and dryer. They match. They are both grey and we got them at the same time. They were from Sears outlet so I didn't care what color they were. Grey works. Oh and our deep freezer is white. 

No.

White fridge, black microwave and dishwasher, and almond stove.  Thankfully none of them are right next to each other.

Furthermore, now the handles of suites of appliances are distinctive and change often, so even if, say, I had all stainless steel (which I hate), chances are I would have have bought them all in the same model year so they wouldn't really match either.  In fact, the differing handle designs sometimes make them clash.  It's really annoying.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

We used to have matching appliances... then we needed a new dishwasher and this high end Bosch floor model was super cheap... and stainless. I am not a fan of stainless... my other appliances are white. But dang it I wanted the extra features on the floor model one... and the low price. So I bought it. DH asked me if we'd replace the others with stainless but honestly I think that's really unlikely. I still don't like it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They match, and we replace with matching, not my preferred color.

We have white and are staying with white, even though I would like stainless steel.

I do like the white also.

My husband would hate non-matching. It would just bother him, he is like that with some things.

I don't think I would like it either, but I wouldn't mind if I expected to replace everything within 2-3 years.

Well, yes.  But they matched when we bought this house.

Our last house - they did not, at first, but as we replaced we slowly matched them, and by the time we put it on the market they matched.

It wasn't really a big deal to me, honestly.  

Now, my stepmom, on the other hand... she's matchy matchy.  And her house is beautiful, at all times.  And I would love to have unlimited funds but sometimes we just do what we have to do, you know?  And it's okay.  :)

Yes, all our kitchen appliances are black. When we moved in, we had a white refrigerator so we asked the sellers of this house if we could buy their black refrigerator to keep all appliances the same color. Then we sold our white one to the people who bought our last house. I don't know what she did with her refrigerator.

I don't have a color preference really, but since they'll all black, I'm going to keep them that way. So if I have to replace a single one, it will be black. I'm hoping when we move, if we move into a non-black kitchen, that they buyers of my home will want our refrigerator. Heck, I'd give it for free if they'd keep it. I do not want mismatched appliances.

Yes, ours all match at this time.  Previously we had a stainless fridge, which we still have and black dishwasher and oven.  The dishwasher broke and we replaced with super cheap stainless and now awaiting a nicer one and it will have a cabinet front to match the cabinets. We upgraded the oven and it is also stainless.

No.  We replace as we have to.  My favorite color is almond, but apparently we're weird because they don't make it any longer for most appliances anyway, so we now usually have to go with black.  I really don't like white or stainless (least favorite).

That said, my oven is stainless because that's what was in this house when we moved in 20 years ago.  It probably dates to the 60s, but is still working just fine so we haven't replaced it.  My fridge is also somewhat older (though we bought it) and almond.  My dishwasher and stovetop are black because they no longer make almond.  We have a chest freezer that is white, but I don't care because it's in the basement.  We just went with cheap for that.

When we look for a retirement condo, as long as it's not stainless, the appliances won't matter to me.  It's more important to have a terrific view, a double sink in the kitchen, and a dishwasher.

Not by brand. I have replaced two dishwashers, a fridge, and a stove. I have two Maytag appliances and a GE. The GE is my second dishwasher and is stainless steel because it was cheaper than the black one I wanted.

My washer and dryer are a matched set in white. I need to replace my dryer and the washing machine probably needs tobe replaced as well. They will not likely be a matched set in brand, but will both be white.