Menu

School Start date poll

DawnM

School Start Dates  

228 members have voted

1. 1. When do you start? PS, Homeschool, College, Private School, whatever school is for you. Multiple choice available if you wish to answer differently for diff. kids.

• July 10-14
    • July 17-21
    • July 24-28
    • July 31-Aug 4
    • Aug. 7-11
    • Aug. 21-25
    • Aug. 28-Sept 1
    • After Labor Day
    • Seriously? I want to enjoy my summer and not even think about it!
    • I no longer have any school age children
    • Oops, left out Aug. 14-18
    • We school year round or no official start date.
    • Other

I think my oldest starts college on the 14th.  For my younger kids, we are doing a light summer schedule that I will be gradually easing into a full schedule starting later this month.  So, no "official" start date. 

I actually used to do year round, with our official start date July 1st and end date June 30th, with various weeks off during the year.  Guess I should add that to the poll too.

We're starting our homeschool year on August 21. We used to start the same week as the public schools and sometimes a few days earlier than PS, but they keep moving their start date earlier and earlier to better fit standardized testing dates. The PS starts the week before us now, but ds has an awesome opportunity that week to volunteer at an event directly related to his major interest. Homeschool win!

Homeschool. Start date is the first Monday after the 4th of July, so today. We do five weeks on and one or two weeks off, year round.

It's too hot, humid, and crowded at all the fun places. DH is too busy at work to travel, and our friends are all out of town. Might as well get a jump on school work.

• Like 1

We more of less school year round, with only a short summer break.  We took off most of June, but in the last couple weeks we have been struggling with too much free time and not enough structure.  Things were getting wild and wooly around here, and it was time to get back onto a school routine.

My two younger boys are in zoo camp 4 mornings this week, so I am taking advantage of that time to shepherd my oldest through his first week of school when I can give him a lot of my attention; today was is first day, and it went well.  Next week, #1 won't need quite as much focused attention, so I will be able to shift to getting #2 used to his new school subjects.

Later this summer we will take off a week to go visit my parents and a week to go camping, but otherwise we will stick to our school routine.

Wendy

• Like 1

We start the first weekday July 1st or later and have for a few years(as according to dept. of education for our state the school year is from July 1 to June 30th). This year this was on Monday July 3rd. I prefer to do school in the blazing hot summer and finish by the beginning of spring.

The local school starts in mid-August.

• Like 1

Community College DE courses for my oldest 8/14

Virtual Charter for my DS 8/16

PS for my youngest 8/21

College elective I'm registered for 8/28

One of my sorority sisters posted that her daughters' first day of PS is TODAY. That seems insanely early to me!

PS for my youngest 8/21

One of my sorority sisters posted that her daughters' first day of PS is TODAY. That seems insanely early to me!

wow.

I have seen things move up over the last few years but this is early.  What part of the country is that?  

Are school years getting longer? 

College starts the week of Aug 20

Beauty school starts second Monday in Sept

General homeschooling/enrichment classes for my Junior begin the day after Labor Day, but I do count all summer activities and adventures as "school time" and the state dept. ed says our "year" is July 1 - June 30

PS for my youngest 8/21

Is this some sort of year round school?  

wow.

I have seen things move up over the last few years but this is early.  What part of the country is that?  

Are school years getting longer? 

My guess is that they get weeks off periodically throughout the year.  I haven't heard of PS going more than 185 days, but I am not familiar with the entire country.

Here is an example of a school district with several different weeks off throughout the year:

https://www.cusd80.com/cms/lib/AZ01001175/Centricity/Domain/104/Approved_CALENDAR_2017-18.pdf

Edited by DawnM

Homeschool.  The two oldest will start August 28, and youngest will start two weeks later.  He will have two less weeks than the olders this year, and it give me some time to focus on my middle child who is doing his first year of high school.

Year round here. We tend to continue through most of the summer while it's too hot to enjoy much outside. We're taking this week off to go visit their grandmother, and we usually take a week or two off at the beginning of August for my and M's birthday and the older two to go to camp and at least a few day's at the beginning of September for O's birthday.

The official year switchover is 6th of September this year following when council-run state schools go back.  I'm not yet planning much to mark it...my eldest is making some since it's around his birthday and is already talking about how that will mean two years until he can go to the technical school with a mix of excitement and wanting to make sure we do all the things now he won't be able to do then..

I do not have school aged children anymore but wanted to add my vote for how we did homeschool. We were always year round. We took off whenever we liked and definitely preferred that to a public school schedule. The only thing we did that was influenced by public school's start date was our Not Back To School meal out.

We usually start in the last week of January- homeschool. We do CM style terms, 3x12 weeks with a mid term break, so similar to 6 weeks on, one week off. We try to finish up in late Nov.

Schools here usually start around the same time (late Jan/early Feb) and run until early Dec, 4 terms of between 8-12 weeks each, with 3x2 week holidays around easter, early July, and Oct, and 6 weeks off over Christmas in the summer.

Homeschool. I voted for our official start date, but we will get a head start on a few things the week or two before.

I have to be careful because we go after our official end date to finish up things at the beginning of summer, and we start some things early at the end of summer. It seems possible that if I take my eyes off vacation it could disappear all together and then things would fall to pieces.

Looks like we will have a three day jump on the local public school.